I never LMAO but I ROFL
Social Media Head
Awesome arty by Gravity Monkey
National Dex is unlike most other Smogon formats in that it can't follow actual cart mechanics. There is no precedent for how a Mega Pokemon should interact with Dynamaxing. This thread is here to explain how the National Dex formats on Pokemon Showdown! will function with regards to past and current mechanics interacting. Any mechanical updates or fixes will also be posted here and added to this post for posterity.
- All Pokemon that were legal at the end of the 7th Generation are legal again. This does not include never released Pokemon like Floette-E. This also does not apply to unreleased Pokemon in Generation 8, such as Gigantamax Melmetal and Zarude. Finally, this does not apply to Pokemon that were legal in a prior game but not in Generation 7, such as Pich-Spiky-eared and the Cosplay Pikachu formes.
- Mega Pokemon and Primal formes are usable. The restriction of one Mega Evolution per team still applies.
- None of the "dexited" Pokemon are receiving new moves. Even if it's likely that Camerupt would be compatible with Scorching Sands, that's not happening until in-game data exists to confirm legality. Pokemon HOME leaks don't count.
- Pokemon holding a Mega Stone, Z-Crystal, or Primal Orb are unable to Dynamax or Gigantamax. This restriction, however, will not impact the rest of your team, so you can use one Z-Move, Mega Evolve one Pokemon, and Dynamax/Gigantamax one Pokemon per battle.
- Generation 8 moves are compatible with Z-Crystals. There is a table that scales Z-Move Power with regular Base Power posted later in this thread.
- All "dexited" moves are returning as well. This means that you can use Pursuit again! All "dexited" moves have Max Powers based on a table posted later on in this thread. For example, Pursuit turns into a 90-Base Power Max Darkness.
- Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, and their formes still can't Dynamax. Every other legendary (except Mega Rayquaza, Primal Pokemon, and Ultra Necrozma) can due the precedent set by the games.
- Some removed items are returning. Only certain items are returning, such as the ones necessary for forme changes. A full list of this includes: Mega Stones, Z-Crystals, Plates (barring Pixie Plate, which is already in the game), Drives, Primal Orbs, Deep Sea Scale, Deep Sea Tooth, Lucky Punch, Soul Dew, Thick Club, Lustrous Orb, Adamant Orb, and Griseous Orb.
- Generation 8 Pokemon can't learn "dexited" moves. Even though it is glaringly obvious that Generation 8 Pokemon should get Hidden Power due to it being a nigh universal TM in previous games, the move data is not in their learnsets in the games' code, so they don't get it.
- If Rayquaza knows Dragon Ascent, it will be able to Mega Evolve, but not Dynamax. If it does not know Dragon Ascent, then it will be able to Dynamax, but not Mega Evolve.
- If a Necrozma-DW or Necrozma-DM is holding an Ultranecrozium Z, it will be able to Ultra Burst, but not Dynamax. If it is not holding Ultranecrozium Z or any other Z-Crystal, it will be able to Dynamax.
- If Ditto transforms into a Pokemon that cannot Dynamax, it will not be able to Dynamax. That includes Mega Evolutions, Primal Pokemon, Ultra Necrozma, Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus.
- Forecast will not transform Castform into its Sunny or Rainy forme if it's holding a Utility Umbrella, and if a Utility Umbrella is tricked onto Castform while it's in one of those two formes, it will transform back to its base forme. Since Utility Umbrella does not protect from Hail damage or effects, this does not apply to Castform's Snowy form.
- The Max Moves of Hidden Power and Judgment change type to be the type their non-Max Move variants have been set to be. For example, Arceus's Judgment becomes Max Strike, but its Hidden Power Fire would be Max Flare. This is because Multi-Attack, which is actually in Sword and Shield, changes in this manner.
Please keep in mind that this is a very new change and very difficult to work out. There is a decent chance some of these change or other major mechanics are added, the rules will take some time to settle. For the time being, the rules I've laid out above are what will be legal on Pokemon Showdown!.
Last edited by a moderator: