Project National Dex POTW #31: Mollymt1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok quite a few questions:

I picked Torchic in RSE do you have any thoughts on that?
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Do you liek Mudkips?
Need you even ask? To liek Mudkips is to breathe air for my existence is based upon it.
I made a custom stylesheet for showdown does it look good?
Looks great, certainly better than my room layout too.
Is CB or SR Mega Tar the cooler Tar?
I think SR Mega Tar is way more fun typically, looks badass while I chunk things with pursuit.
What's your favorite meme?
Well I could never decide on this, and instead formed a 3 year long compendium of the memes I liked the most with a friend. Heres the one I keep on standby tho:
HI.jpg

Am I your biggest fan Mudkip?
If it helps you sleep at night.
How did you start to use Sand? Did you try to use something similar to ADV in natdex? Or is it something else?
Well I played ADV for a little bit before I got into ND, so I was used to a permanent sand environment, but that wasnt the reason I started to spam Ttar. Reason I spammed Ttar was because it checked all the broken shit at the time, like Dragapult or Spectrier. And even in matchups where those mons weren't present, it was so much fun I kept spamming it, because of how good it felt to pound the shit out of Blissey and friends with Stone Edge and Pursuit.

what’s your favorite part of moderating the ps room?
I really dont know what it would be specifically, but it's usually just "I look cooler because I have this @ thing next to my name". There's a lot of other positives too but I can't put them into words at the moment, and if I try I probably won't be able to finish this post. Although the other positive that I can put into words is that I like to mess with auth commands and read PS! documentation, occasionally at the expense of Kris.

least favorite part of moderating the ps room?
Well it's generally what you'd expect from moderation, and late nights certain issues were incredibly awkward or creepy to deal with. Although I will give a special mention to the guy who would spam about NatDex RU, wow that was annoying.

favorite ps room moment?
There's a lot of great moments, but the one that stuck with the most was when I got promoted to Driver. It felt great to be trusted enough with at least a little bit of moderation power, and that poll was just peak hilarity for me bored in a college dorm after a tough day.

Attachments

Avaritia

Sylvain stan
Hi beans, a few qs:

1. Why beans?
2. What do you want to do once you graduate college?
3. Got a favourite musician / song at the moment?
4. Did you also let Swampert carry your whole team in your Gen 3 playthrough?
5. What do you think of Moltres in the current meta?
6. Favourite game other than Pokemon?

1. Why beans?
Well at a job I had around the time I made the name, I was tasked with a philosophical question. "Is a nut a bean or is a bean a nut". We then came to the conclusion of "Nutbeans", both nut and bean. To take the joke a tad farther, someone brought beans to eat for lunch and they happened to get on this little guy:
IMG_1087.JPG

Blurry image, but I've kept him around for quite a while, and at that time I was hit with the epiphany of "MudkipBeans"
2. What do you want to do once you graduate college?
Idk to be honest, I know I really want to get more involved with computers, but can't be too sure about exactly which field. Growing up, video games were what kept me going and I always enjoyed almost all of them, but I've found that I just enjoy the technical aspects of computers a ton too, not just the gaming part. So at this point, I really just want to learn more about anything computers.
3. Got a favourite musician / song at the moment?
Music for me is a wierd topic, cuz I live in a hole and enjoy listening to video game soundtracks, and I dont exactly keep up to date with any modern artists. I'll think its cool if like an Uber driver has it on the radio, but I don't look much further than that. Favorite song in recent times would be & by Talllyhall tho, and I think Nobuo Uematsu is a genius composer for stuff like Final Fantasy, and more frequently listen to music similar to September by Earth Wind & Fire.
4. Did you also let Swampert carry your whole team in your Gen 3 playthrough?
Oh yeah, thing is a fucking beast in Gen 3 playthroughs.
5. What do you think of Moltres in the current meta?
I thought it was cool as an OK Cinderace check, but now I think its pretty awful and kinda regret my VR post. Loses to the new Z ace sets and just gets toxiced by heatran more often than not. I think it still retains some viability however.
6. Favourite game other than Pokemon?
Tough questions huh. Well in terms of hours, I used to be a more avid Splatoon player, clocking in at about 8kish hours across the two games. I've competed at a bunch of tournaments before, I think I never touched the about 100ish dollars I earned from it. In terms for normal people tho, I love the Xenoblade Chronicles series, and I should probably stop there cuz I could go on for hours about all the other games I love and why they're great.

Attachments

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How much wood would a Mudkipchuck if a Mudkipchuck could chuck wood :)

Q: if you had the ability / power to change anything about the world (except Covid), yourself, or anything (even Pokémon-related) what would it possibly be?

Reactions: R8
Would you doubt me if I said that I beat Winona with just a Blaziken, a Revive, and a bunch of healing items?
No, healing is busted and I think we all know this. If I can beat a grass type gym with a Marshtomp and a fuckton of healing items and revives, anything is possible.
I've heard (and said) that you're the best builder in natdex.
On a scale of 1-10, how true is this?
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a bad builder, but I seriously doubt that I'm the best builder, as there's a ton of other people probably just as capable as I am at putting a team together with the necessary parts. So if you want a number I guess 6 or 5.
Q: if you had the ability / power to change anything about the world (except Covid), yourself, or anything (even Pokémon-related) what would it possibly be?
Well I'm going to assume that this is a pick one question, and I would definetely get rid of my lazy habits that I've tried to get rid of for like 5 years now. Covid basically deleted most of the progress I made, and it's nearly cost me my entire chance at a future. There's a lot else I'd like to change too, like make it able for me to see my grandparents for the first time.

pannu

MEDKIT CUZ SHES HEALABLE
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
wooooo potw time, this time its the one and only Sputnik!

Sputnik

What do you do outside of Smogon?

Well im a college student currently studying Creative Writing with the intent of becoming an english teacher after college. I'm also on my universities Overwatch team and was on the baseball team until they had to make roster cuts due to COVID. I'm also an avid roller coaster enthusiast, which has also been impacted by covid, and I also enjoy writing short stories and I am currently working on a novel.

What are you most known for inside the National Dex community?

Well im on the council and was on the first ever VR team so I'd probably say that. I also managed during NDPL and have played in WC.

How did you get into National Dex?

i started playing competitively in gen 7 and i got used to z moves so not having them around felt really weird initially, so natdex just kinda worked bc it was a gen 8 meta with z moves and megas and the like. even after i got more used to non-gen 7 mechanics i stuck around bc i liked the metagame

What do you like the most about the format and community?

I like that the format is a true national dex format and its totally unique on site at this point thanks to that. I feel like the community kinda hits the perfect spot of being generally very good people while also striving to be really good at the game and make others as good as they can be; like, some of us might be kinda brusque about making a team good or pointing out a teams flaws or whatever sometimes, but its all done with the intention of making each other as good as we can be. I really like that kinda attitude(edited)

How do you feel about the state of the National Dex metagame right now? Any Pokemon that stick out as issues to you?

I think the metagame is in a decent state at the moment, it can get a little bit matchup fishy at times but overall its pretty ok. I think Ace is the biggest issue at the moment but that's being taken care of as we speak so...yeah. Other than that I don't see too many significant issues, I'm not sold on Mage being too much for the tier, for example.

As someone who does alot of c&c work for NatDex, being on the qc team and whatnot, do you think its fun to write analyses?

C&C is my favorite part of the site actually. I originally started it as a way to hone my skills as a more factual, critical writer, because creative writing and factual/informative writing are very different styles and I wanted to get better at that sort of writing. Then I realized i just liked doing it and kept going.

Are there any Pokemon you don’t think are rated enough / rated too highly?

I think ash gren is a little bit better than people give it credit for at the moment. U-turn sets are pretty good at applying pressure to its counters with the right team, and there are other ways to support it, including the hwish+scarfer thing that's been going around for a bit

overrated? probably mega latias; no shot thing is A+ worthy anymore imo. most teams have a lot of different ways to punish it what with a lot of things it cant beat immediately running toxic, and while it can theoretically get around most of them i feel deviating from the standard cm set carries too much risk in general for most teams

What is your favorite Pokemon and kind of team to use in National Dex?

favorite mon to use is probably landorus-t, things a beast atm and it can work in all sorts of different teams...if you were thinking something a bit less conventional then probably aegislash, i love the role compression that thing offers and have for a long time. I really enjoy using balance and bulky offense, I feel the playstyles are generally viable and you can do a lot of different things with them. Also HO and Stall sometimes bore me so thats kind of what was left lol.

Would you mind sharing a team that reflects that?

:mawile-mega: :jirachi: :slowbro: :kommo-o: :zapdos: :landorus-therian:
i built this initially for sample teams bc we wanted a mmaw team and i also wanted to try the subsd lando set that jordy had been touting as good. I also like teams revolving around nuclear breakers and this team has two of them; subsd lando is excellent against corv teams in particular while being super annoying to most teams that don't have a really fat grass, and most standard teams are not equipped to take on a well played mega mawile twice.

Any last things you want to leave us with?

Go NE (sorry pannu) [pannu note: its ok i didnt get drafted eitherway :psysad: ]

We'd like to thank sputnik for his time and feel free to ask him any questions in the thread below!

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. Good luck on your novel! How do you deal with writer's block? Any exercises you do to try to break out of the rut, or do you just disconnect for a while?
2. What do you think of Webs HO right now?
3. What would be your ideal meal?
4. Have you rode on the Battlestar Galactica before?
Sup Ava
1. Thanks! The easiest way is to honestly talk to other people about it who understand the book I'm writing; usually close friends of mine or my GF. It gives me ideas
2. Bit fishy overall but not bad at all
3. Some form of Steak....I've never had Wagyu but it's probably that.
4. No, I've never been to Singapore, but it's a newer Vekoma so its likely to be pretty fun!

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I asked you to give your thoughts on every single link in my signature would you actually do it?

doggo or catto?

does Z dark or Z dragon Hydreigon go better with Mega Mawile?
1. Maybe, if you do actually ask me, but you haven't here so I won't yet

2. I love cats, but I have corgi mixes which push me firmly into dog territory.

3. I'd go with Z Dark I guess...but going off of that I wouldn't use Drei with it at all. I'm not on the recent Hydreigon hype train in the slightest and I believe it is still quite bad.

good luck on your novel!
Thank you!

Welcome back to player of the week, this week we have room moderator Solaros & Lunaris!

What do you do outside of Smogon?

I’m a high school senior who will graduate in May. In my free time I like to read various books, listen to music, and watch out-of-season anime, mostly because I hate keeping up with stuff. I also play trumpet and do tae-kwon-do, though I do the latter alot less since I obtained my 2nd degree black belt.

I’m a moderator for the PS room and Discord, and a NatDex team rater on the Smogon Discord. I’m also a member of the VR Council and QC team, and run the Good Cores, Teambuilding Competition, and Community Create-A-Team threads on the NatDex forums. As you can tell, my “impact” on the metagame is alot more community-oriented, something I’m quite happy with.

I have been playing National Dex ever since the ladder was released on Pokemon Showdown. It wasn’t just the return of old Pokemon that brought me to NatDex; the importance of Megas (which made SM, a meta I was familiar with, quite funky) also increased my interest in the tier.

See above for the format but tl;dr the sheer amount of diversity in the tier thanks to Megas and Z-Moves means the tier never truly feels stale. There’s always something on the up-and-up and something that is losing traction; this makes the meta feel quite dynamic without needing suspects or anything like that. As for the community, its pretty chill, but the tendency to discuss something that is clearly unviable hurts my overall communication with it. As a result, I feel that I separate myself from the greater community, which makes me feel partially elitist. I‘d be really happy with metagame development if people weren’t constantly saying “Chandelure is viable” for the umpteenth time.

How do you feel about the state of the National Dex metagame right now? Any Pokemon that stick out as issues to you?

This interview comes at the worst possible time, because I obviously think that Cinderace warps the tier to such an unhealthy margin that I’ve almost refused to prepare for it. However, as it is being voted on, I have to say that’s my only real meta issue. Magearna and Slowbro are things that I cannot get a feel for being properly broken because Cinderace warps much of their counterplay. Other Pokemon like Mega Latias and Mega Mawile are in a similar boat.

I think Mega Diancie and Serperior are definitely underrated at the moment. The former is a devastating wallbreaker, doing minimum 40% to anything that it touches neutrally. Its Speed blazes past Garchomp, which is huge for such a powerful breaker, and it can set Stealth Rock with phenomonal ease. The latter is super annoying for common balance structures, and in tandem with Pokemon like Mega Mawile or Mega Heracross, its not hard to see why teams struggle against the smug snake. Naturally, I expect these two to only get better when Cinderace (hopefully) leaves the tier. As for overrated, I haven’t really gotten the recent hype around Mega Mawile. This might be my playstyle, but it’s relatively easy to limit MMaw’s ability to come in without risking a double switch. Obviously if you’re big on prediction, MMaw is incredibly rewarding Pokemon, but if that’s not the case, then you just have another big breaker with some defensive qualities.

Corviknight is probably my favorite Pokemon to use in the tier. It’s ability to provide a million roles without compromising on momentum thanks to U-turn means it has a purpose in every game I bring it to. My favorite style of team is probably Bulky Offense; I hate balance teams that want to have hard answers to everything, so keeping up momentum and limiting entry of huge wallbreakers while letting my own Pokemon shine tends to be my preferred style.

MediVile Offense I built this with Aurodian for the teambuilding lab, which requested for Medicham and Weavile together. I took this idea and made a funky bulky offense with it that patches up the weaknesses of more common MediVile structures, such as Magearna and Heatran. I also like the team’s aesthetic

Shoutouts to the Krooks who are probably the coolest group of people who I’ve met online. Shoutouts to my NDWC team who will take the trophy because we have the best manager and literally Finchinator. (Update: we lost but I was glad to work with all of you, and I hope we can take next NDWC’s trophy.) Shoutout to Lameflame for being an awesome forum poster who deserves more credit because its hard to find good forum posts anymore ngl Lastly, shoutout to Lupla and R8 Konijn for giving me pals to listen to Undertale music with; you make me happy to be apart of the fandom. Also s/o to Optify for interviewing me and cohosting CCAT.

We'd like to thank Solaros for their time, and feel free to ask them any questions in the thread!

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for the shoutout, for appreciating the effort I put into sharing my thoughts and for always being a really kind presence in this community. I remember last summer when I was the last qualifier for the ladder tournament, you were the first and only person to say congrats, and I haven't forgotten that.

Also, a question. What do you like about tae-kwan-do? I'm experienced in Krav and a few other styles but never tried that one, would love to learn sometime.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi hows ur day
Hello, It’s pretty good mate, how’s yours

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for the shoutout, for appreciating the effort I put into sharing my thoughts and for always being a really kind presence in this community. I remember last summer when I was the last qualifier for the ladder tournament, you were the first and only person to say congrats, and I haven't forgotten that.

Also, a question. What do you like about tae-kwan-do? I'm experienced in Krav and a few other styles but never tried that one, would love to learn sometime.
I only started taekwondo because my mother saw a flyer for it while I was getting my hair cut at a salon, so I wasn’t initially drawn to it. As I started training in it, though, I learned to love the “straightforward” attacking style. I think that’s what makes it such an appealing first martial art, because it acts as a solid gateway to others (all forms of martial arts sort of draw from each other, so its kinda easy to start learning them if you know those connections).

Also, thanks! As I said, it’s really hard to find good forum posters, let alone great ones. Best of luck in future games, and I can’t wait to test my wits against yours at some point!

1. Why add Lunaris to your name? I know it's dumb but I really thought you were a shared account for the longest time because of that O_O
2. CORE best Undertale area right?
3. Now that Ace is banned, what kind of builds do you see yourself making?
1.) I initially added Lunaris to to my name to “hide” my gender on the internet (I was a huge internet safety nut in my hunior high years). As I think its become apparent, I am a male, but I still like Lunaris as a name, so I’ve kept it. In some of the short stories I’ve written, that’s the placeholder name I’ll put for a character who I don’t know how to introduce yet (same for Solaros with male characters).

2.) Yes; although I like Waterfall’s theme and atmosphere better, the CORE has such an imposing presence and some added lore that make it a simple but awesome area to explore.

3.) I might just stick with Bulky Offenses still, though I don’t have to cry anymore if I build a balance team that can’t pressure Cinderace, so you might see more of those from me.

I saw you like to build around stuff from !randpoke fe, natdex. What is the favorite team you built this way?

(EDIT: PS: You're a cool person)
I no longer have the builds with me, but Barbaracle Veil and Kabutops Rain were pretty much the best I could get from randpoke lol. Water/Rock coverage is obscenely good, and both mons had incredible Fighting coverage for Ferrothorn, which happened to let my other teammates go wild. Also, +2 Kabutops Continental Crush turned Slowbro into sushi, so Mega Swampert felt way easier to pilot. Definitely not consistent, but extremely fun for the time I had it,

(PS: ur a really nice person too)

Has knowing TaeKwonDo ever come in handy in the real world?

Smogon light, dark, or festive?

If you were forced to use Discord light mode for the rest of your life would you quit using it?
1.) No, but its a pretty solid form of doing exercise outside of shit like weightlifting (which I’m generally not a fan of). If you are looking to add a bit of fitness to your life, I would definitely recommend trying it.

2.) Dark

3.) No, I would just get used to it, it wouldn’t really be a big deal.

pannu

MEDKIT CUZ SHES HEALABLE
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Potw time, this time its room driver moderator peapodc! (or sigmatecture on forums, as of now at least)
1617028557202.png

Yeah I'm known mainly for being a room presence as a driver* and a decent player in tournaments like SSNL. Outside of the mainstream auth- and council-related circle I've met a ton of NatDex people on ladder who know me for various reasons, I test a ton of stuff on this ladder and some of my dumber teams like bug stall are remembered by others.

(*got promoted before i had time to post this, gz bro.)

It was almost a year ago when I was tired of both SM and SS OU for being stale and I wanted to try something similar but fresh. I saw my friend Skoun (rip) was peaking the NatDex ladder, the meta was understandable, and people were innovating a lot with the new and old mechanics. So for similar reasons to a lot of ppl I jumped in, but I stayed because the community and metagame have been so exciting.

Regarding the format, I think the wealth of options in the metagame makes this tier unique and innovative. Out of all the OverUsed tiers, NatDex OU has the deepest level of choices for team structures. After Cinderace was banned even more Pokemon have breathing room and I'm seeing all of Stall/Semi-Stall/Balance/Bulky Offense/Hyper Offense viable.

And the community is great. I'm honestly very pleasantly surprised at how much time I enjoy spending in the room and in Discord with the Krooks, people are really accepting and chill. Being with NatDex is the first time online that I feel like I can reach out to anyone about anything and have a good talk about it.

I feel like the metagame is kind of matchup fishy right now, just because of the sheer breadth of viable team styles with different strong breakers. Being prepped for standard balance cores sometimes feels punishing when you run into Sun/Hail/hyper offense on ladder. I think bulky offense (regen user + MMaw especially) and semi-stall have the best flexibility against different matchups right now, from hyper offense to stall. It's always been impossible to cover 100% of matchups, but NatDex has the widest set of options out of any OU meta and IMO this diversity is also the biggest challenge in teambuilding.

I honestly don't see Magearna as overwhelming, but I want to mention it alongside Mega Mawile and CM Fini as what I consider top-tier threats that pull weight in almost every match.

Yeah, CM Fini is a unique mon this generation that acts as a reliable check at worst and annoyingly bulky wincon at best. While overshadowed by Kiss Magearna, Fini has even more utility with Misty Terrain + Taunt that help it immediately pull weight midgame and break passive cores that rely on status and recovery. Anything that uses Pex to setup and 1v1s Blissey on the special side is a great mon imo. Another would be Serperior, it doesn't get hit-and-run by Cinderace any more so now it can demonize common cores that rely on Slowking and fire off annoying paras. And tertiary in my list would be Slowking (k & g) but people already began to see that in NDWC so I'm happy for that.

Let's see...Slowking is hilarious to me since it tanks hits so easily and dishes out very respectable damage in return. This goes for both forms, although Galar is definitely harder to support. I slap this mon on a lot of bulky offenses, which is what I've been building recently.

:urshifu-rapid-strike: :slowking-galar: :dragonite: :mawile-mega: :ferrothorn: :landorus-therian:
slowking with dnite as miscellaneous stopgap check, wetshifu to pair with fsight and pivot maw in

stay cool natdex, once dpp remakes drop our metagame will be even closer to ss ou so it's important to keep this tier fresh and unique. the people here are doing a great job :)

we'd like to thank peap for his time and feel free to ask any questions in the thread below

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Yoooooooooo peap! How are you today?

I think i already asked that (but i forgot the answer :psycry: ) : what does your name mean?
Do you think ananas on pizza is legit?
Also congrats again for your promote

spell

destined
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
hey peap (the goat!) i got a few serious questions for you..
1. how swag is pannu?
2. Other than Magearna, what mon do you see dominating the metagame now that Cinderace has been banned?
3. Can hail work?
4. what condiment do you put on your food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)