NP Psychium Celebi [QC: 0/1]

Take a look at this adorable gif while reading this.

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

With the departure of Breloom and Serperior, Celebi now has a time to shine as the premier offensive Grass-type of the tier! Due to the disappearance of these Grass-types, not as many teams prepare for Celebi. Psychium Z is currently Celebi’s most deadly Z-Move as it has the potential of breaking through Blissey and other Special Walls once it has boosted up. This drastic amount of power can break through a multitude of Balance and Bulky Offense teams and can even break through some Steel-types that are supposed to check Celebi such as the likes of offensive Scizor, Doublade, and Stakataka with minimal chip. Celebi also has an added benefit of not being crippled by Toxic or Thunder Wave by virtue of its ability Natural Cure. Celebi mostly functions as a breaker as mentioned above, but because of the potency of Nasty Plot it can become a devastating sweeper later in the game. However, this set is walled by many other Steel-types like Mega Aggron and Bronzong. Secondly, Celebi’s typing leaves it defenseless against U-Turn. Pokemon like Kommo-o and Rotom-Heat are often paired with Celebi on Bulky Offense teams as they are incredibly capable of pressuring Steel-types.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
Facebook Spotlights are separate from analyses and shouldn’t really be describing the moves / items / abilities specifically unless they are absolutely needed (Dazzling Gleam is only coverage and isn’t worth mentioning, and its access to “a plethora of Z-Moves” doesn’t explain the set and references others, which doesn’t work when we are spotlighting this one set).

Instead, this should focus on why Celebi is such a good Pokemon in the tier and its impact (you touch on this when saying there’s now room for it as an offensive Grass-type, but you can definitely reference it more) and it’s ability to break through common bulky and balance teams and some of its checks (can break through common Steel-types boosted). You talk about sweeping but it’s also pretty effective at this too.

Consider these points and update this then tag me or message me on discord for another look.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
With the departure of Breloom and Serperior, Celebi now has a time to shine as the premier offensive Grass-type of the tier! Due to the disappearance of these Grass-types, (you can cut this down for character count or rephrase to talk about how uu doesn’t prepare for offensive grasses as much in general) not as many teams prepare for Celebi and can end up being swept if they misplay. (swept “if they misplay” isn’t something that the celebi user can control and so doesn’t fit in a set spotlight. it also implies celebi loses unless the opponent chokes) Celebi can become a devastating sweeper later in the game once the opponent’s Steel-types have either been chipped or removed. (you can avoid going into too much detail about steels being its checks here because there’s like 2 lines about dealing with steels later) With Natural Cure, Celebi can easily absorb status throughout the game (natural cure is also arguably more important so it’s not crippled by toxic / twave as opposed to just absorbing status for its team. this makes it clear how it’s used instead of being dex info) and restore its health with Giga Drain until it’s time to sweep. (try not to put so much emphasis on sweeping - it’s a good breaker too and you want to keep its hp up to pressure bulky teams a bit more as well as just to sweep) Psychium Z is currently Celebi’s most deadly Z-Move as it is capable of breaking through Blissey and other Special Walls. (when boosted bc you don’t just click it at +0 on a 100% bliss) This drastic amount of power can break through a multitude of Balance and Bulky Offense teams and can even break through some Steel-types that are supposed to check Celebi. (give an example - offensive scizor is a good one celebi ohkoes even 164 hp ones after rocks at +2) However, this set is walled by the majority of Steel-types (what steels can’t it break?) and Celebi’s typing leaves it defenseless against U-Turn. Rotom-Heat is often paired with Celebi on Bulky Offense teams as it alleviates this issue since it switches into almost every Steel-type that Celebi is incapable of breaking. (mention at least one other partner that can deal with steels - rotom isn’t the only pokemon that can do this for celebi)
Reorganise the order of this to have breaking before sweeping and the first point after talking about Breloom and Serperior’s departure meaning people prepare for offensive Grass-types less. Then talk about Natural Cure and then mention how it can sweep weakened teams. Keep the flaws / teammates last.

Let me know when you’ve implemented this and I’ll look again.

autumn

only i will remain
C&C Leader
I’m going to QC Reject this.

After receiving two checks on this spotlight, there has been minimal positive change or improvement on it. There are still several content issues left from the first checks and even added in after being given them, and large sections of the back have been implemented poorly or not at all.

Reorganise the order of this to have breaking before sweeping and the first point after talking about Breloom and Serperior’s departure meaning people prepare for offensive Grass-types less. Then talk about Natural Cure and then mention how it can sweep weakened teams. Keep the flaws / teammates last.
The first mention of Celebi’s role remains as a sweeper, and its ability to break is still overshadowed. Points were not reordered either.

However, this set is walled by the majority of Steel-types like Empoleon and Mega Aggron.
As a Water-type, it’s neutral to Giga Drain, and Celebi can also set up on Empoleon and get rid of Toxic later on with Natural Cure.

Ok this is it. martha this day has overall been awful both personally and on this site and I was an idiot for not looking through the whole check but please tell me this is good to go after I've reorganized it. I don't know why I care about so many unimportant things in my life like this but it must be for some reason. I still will apologize for how much trouble this whole thing might've caused to you.

Ok this is it. martha this day has overall been awful both personally and on this site and I was an idiot for not looking through the whole check but please tell me this is good to go after I've reorganized it. I don't know why I care about so many unimportant things in my life like this but it must be for some reason. I still will apologize for how much trouble this whole thing might've caused to you.
You wrote a bad spotlight, and after two attempts at trying to fix this it's just not good enough for us to continue. And relax, it's already rejected so you can't rewrite it, so read some other spotlights and take notes and hopefully next time will be better. If you need any tips on writing spotlights you can PM me or martha and we'll help you out for next time.

Last edited:
Are we supposed to give you special treatment because your day was bad? You wrote a bad spotlight, and after two attempts at trying to fix this you came up short again. And just relax dude. It's already rejected so you can't rewrite it, so go lurk more and come back when your meta knowledge is anything resembling passable, and don't throw another fit like this one when you decide to write something again.
Ok we've discussed it I'm cooled down now. I'm still disappointed at myself for making such a low quality spotlight but it's ok. This is just a learning lesson like anything else and I promise to improve for later analyses/spotlights. Good luck to anyone else that will take this over ^_^ and an early Merry Christmas to you all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)