Nuke Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
So, what are the strongest attacks in VGC? Mega-Kangaskhan's Double Edge, Charizard-Y's Heat Wave and Landorus-T's Earthquake? No, I'm talking about the true strongest attacks possible against a neutral target in VGC. The rules for this post are simple; all attacks must be single target, VGC legal, and while they can factor in abilities and items, they cannot factor in things like weather conditions if the Pokemon using the attack doesn't have that respective weather ability. Furthermore, each move can only have one representative on this list, ie. only one Double Edge Pokemon. For simplicity's sake, all attacks will be calced against 4 HP Mega-Kangaskhan (if needed change the type so that the hit will be neutral). The attacks will be ordered from top to bottom by strength. I'm sure to miss some, so post your ideas below and I'll add them to this post. Good luck finding the strongest attacks that VGC has to offer!

Number 1

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 288-340 (159.1 - 187.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 2

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Conkeldurr Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (Non-Normal) Mega Kangaskhan: 267-315 (147.5 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 3

252+ Atk Choice Band Rampardos Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 252-297 (139.2 - 164%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 4 (tie)

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Blast Burn vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 246-289 (135.9 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 4 (tie)

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 246-289 (135.9 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 5

252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 231-273 (127.6 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 6

252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (Non-Nomral) Mega Kangaskhan: 225-265 (124.3 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 7

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Rock Wrecker vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 222-262 (122.6 - 144.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 8

252+ Atk Choice Band Archeops Sky Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 208-246 (114.9 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 9

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 192-226 (106 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Number 10

252+ SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 180-213 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Number 11

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 178-210 (98.3 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
This was approved by a mod? Why would this not just be edited into the role compendium? A lot of these things seem so situational or just barely viable if viable at all. Slaking in a meta with so much protect? Blast Burn over Overheat on Zard Y? Choiced HJK in a meta with so much protect? I'm no expert on VGC but these don't seem like they're very important to talk about.

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
To be entirely honest, this is a fun thread. I just finished making a super serious thread about Landorus-T and it's place in the meta, so it's nice to kick back and relax a little bit. Plus, that's not the whole point of this thread. The idea, besides actually finding the moves that empirically do the most damage, is to have players look into Pokemon they've probably never seen before and to potentially discover moves that they've never heard of. Perhaps this isn't hyper competitive, but it should be an enjoyable way to learn more about the game.

To be entirely honest, this is a fun thread. I just finished making a super serious thread about Landorus-T and it's place in the meta, so it's nice to kick back and relax a little bit. Plus, that's not the whole point of this thread. The idea, besides actually finding the moves that empirically do the most damage, is to have players look into Pokemon they've probably never seen before and to potentially discover moves that they've never heard of. Perhaps this isn't hyper competitive, but it should be an enjoyable way to learn more about the game.
I guess. But the way I see it, there's gonna be some new players seeing this, then proceeding to get their asses handed to them cause they're trying to use Slaking and Focus Punch Conk. I don't understand how anyone's gonna be learning much besides "le epic ohko moves xD".

You could at least talk about viable nukes like Overheat Charizard, Specs Draco Hydrei. Not moves that leave you useless for an entire turn, or are incredibly dependent on team support to pull off like CB Focus Punch.

This was approved by a mod? Why would this not just be edited into the role compendium? A lot of these things seem so situational or just barely viable if viable at all. Slaking in a meta with so much protect? Blast Burn over Overheat on Zard Y? Choiced HJK in a meta with so much protect? I'm no expert on VGC but these don't seem like they're very important to talk about.
To answer you first question threads here (for some reason) don't require mod approval.

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
NOVED, two things here:

1.) Once again it's mainly intended to be a fun Pokemon search to see what can deal the most damage. As for newer players, well, odds are the either know not to try this stuff or would anyway.

2.) I'd hesitate to call these moves unviable. While Choice Specs Porygon-Z won't rule the meta anytime soon, it does have some merits and if you're running Specs anyway Hyper Beam isn't a terrible move to add to the set. Furthermore, arguments can be made for using Blast Burn over Overheat on Mega-Charizard-Y. As for things like Choice Banded Mega-Medicham, awhile back I was running High Jump Kick Mega-Medicham because it has the ability to OHKO the standard Rotom-W. This thread is meant to evoke thought from users, not to impress thoughts onto users.

Not that I play VGC, but here you go:

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 198-234 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

No band or specs either, which is always good. Have fun.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Some of these require a sun setter but I have actually seen some used before. Bolded ones are ones that could be added.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Blast Burn vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 420-495 (232 - 273.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 289-342 (159.6 - 188.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Heliolisk Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 280-330 (154.6 - 182.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 260-315 (143.6 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 249-294 (137.5 - 162.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 244-288 (134.8 - 159.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 216-255 (119.3 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan (Non-Normal): 213-252 (117.6 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 208-246 (114.9 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 205-244 (113.2 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 200-236 (110.4 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 198-234 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also Porygon Z does quite a bit more damage if it gets a Download boost. But this thread is a little pointless since I don't think any of these besides Hyper Beam Sylveon have or will be very viable.

Last edited:
Furthermore, arguments can be made for using Blast Burn over Overheat on Mega-Charizard-Y.
Not really.... Overheat doesn't make you a sitting duck for a turn. Charge up moves or moves that make you unable to use any moves or retreat are not highly thought of.

As for things like Choice Banded Mega-Medicham
Not sure if you miss-typed or what but any item but Medichamite on Mega-Medicham is impossible.

As Noved said though, this thread just seems to be nothing more than "Hurrdurr Lets find what hits M Kangaskhan the hardest." And new players that are having issues against M Kang could possibly come here and be like 'OMFG WHY DID I NOT THINK OF USING FOCUS PUNCH CONKELDURR?!?' Then when said new players still get wrecked by kang they could either bash those that are active in this section or smogon in general saying things like 'I WAS TRYING TO FIND THINGS TO COUNTER M-KANG IN VGC AND THERE WAS A THREAD ON SMOGON'S VGC SECTION TALKING ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT OHKO M-KANG IN ONE TURN BUT THEY WERE ALL GARBAGE AND I KEEP LOSING NO MATTER WHAT I USE.'

Last edited:
Sylveon's Hyper Beam, as mentioned.

Also, highly relevent one:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Pledge (Combined) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 262-310 (144.7 - 171.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

^ Actually usable, and used by people other than me. That'd be #3.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the bigger problem than this thread not being approved by a mod, is that the thread was posted by A TUTOR.

April Fools is not in November man.

I think the bigger problem than this thread not being approved by a mod, is that the thread was posted by A TUTOR.

April Fools is not in November man.
Oh, and another thing. We're talking about Jeremy Rodrigues as well. I mean, this man is THE MAN that won Fort Wayne's Regional.
I get it as a fun thread but people seem to not like the very purpose of the thread...

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and another thing. We're talking about Jeremy Rodrigues as well. I mean, this man is THE MAN that won Fort Wayne's Regional.
I get it as a fun thread but people seem to not like the very purpose of the thread...
lol who cares if he's a regional winner? This forum is for competitive discussion, not some pointless damage race.

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Sigh everybody hates my ideas. If it makes people feel better I'll change the Kangaskhan to Arceus just so players understand that it's a neutral target and not specifically Kangakshan. As for Blast Burn Charizard, let's take a look at it.

44+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 184-217 (88.8 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Assuming you're running bulky Charizard, you'll quite possibly be missing the KO on bulky Kangaskhan. With Blast Burn, that isn't an issue:

44+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Blast Burn vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 213-252 (102.8 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I mean, people are crazy about Double Edge > Return on Salamence for the nuking potential, and that's only an 18 boost to power while Blast Burn > Overheat gives you the full 20 buff. You also mentioned leaving you dead on the field, which I do somewhat agree with. However, at -2 SpA you aren't dealing great damage anyway and that sticks with you as long as you're on the field. While you can switch out, that won't always be an option. If you're down to your last two, the ability to nuke your opponent without dropping to -2 can be beneficial. I'm not going to say it's great, but it's a somewhat viable option.

I mean, if everybody hates this thread I can take it down but it's already helped me get a new idea to test out. So. . . make whatever call you like.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 184-217 (101.6 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I see that they calculated Specs gren Hydro Cannon with 4 HP / 0 SpD Megakang so i wanted to try something else.

I mean, people are crazy about Double Edge > Return on Salamence for the nuking potential
That's because unlike Blast Burn, Double Edge doesn't make you a sitting duck on your next turn. And to be honest people are a lot less apprehensive of using recoil moves nowadays than they were like 3 years ago. I mean if I went back in time to 2012 and made a post in here saying that there would be a fire/flying type that would be using brave bird and flare blitz as its main stabs at the 2014 World Championship, would you believe me?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
That's because unlike Blast Burn, Double Edge doesn't make you a sitting duck on your next turn. And to be honest people are a lot less apprehensive of using recoil moves nowadays than they were like 3 years ago. I mean if I went back in time to 2012 and made a post in here saying that there would be a fire/flying type that would be using brave bird and flare blitz as its main stabs at the 2014 World Championship, would you believe me?
If I remember correctly somebody ran Giga Impact Mega Salamence at the world championships this year with a Roar Suicune to reset the turn (they obviously weren't that successful).

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 1214-1430 (670.7 - 790%) -- guaranteed OHKO

^You cant overcome that.Nuff said.

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 1214-1430 (670.7 - 790%) -- guaranteed OHKO

^You cant overcome that.Nuff said.
You seem to have calced Lvl 100 Mienshao against Lvl 50 Mega Kangaskhan, it should look more like this: 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 426-504 (235.3 - 278.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You seem to have calced Lvl 100 Mienshao against Lvl 50 Mega Kangaskhan, it should look more like this: 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 426-504 (235.3 - 278.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Oh yeah,my bad, but: 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 426-504 (235.3 - 278.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

^but thats still a whole lot.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Oh yeah,my bad, but: 252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 426-504 (235.3 - 278.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

^but thats still a whole lot.
You're supposed to change Kangaskhan's typing so that fighting attacks are neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)