Tournament NUPL IX - Sets & Team Dump Thread

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If Heysup doesn't post for ADV then I might come back later to post a few sets I came up with, but for now I'll stick to just two BW things:

:bw/rotom-fan:
Rotom-Fan @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Thunderbolt

I definitely didn't invent this sort of set, but I do quite like it.
It's good at bluffing scarf and then getting back to full late on an opponent's switch. Bad at getting crit by Misdreavus though...
Also can function as a status absorber as a result, i.e. you can switch into a Mola even if it's going to throw a Toxic out.
Dual stab is very nice against Mandibuzz, since Volt doesn't really do enough to it when it just roosts off. HP Grass probably the better move overall though, since you can so easily pick off something like a seismitoad that switches in to block scarf volt and then thinks it's safe.

:bw/golurk:
Golurk
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 184 HP / 140 SpD
- Stealth Rock

Nothing too new about rocks Golurk, but I like the bulk EVs I used. Item and moves are largely flexible to the team, but the special investment lets you always sets rocks on Zard turn one, even on a Specs Overheat, which is usually used as a point in Piloswine's favor, but not all teams want to use a Piloswine. Golurk has a lot of distinct advantages, such as being fighting immune rather than fighting weak.
Calc of survival:
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Overheat vs. 184 HP / 140 SpD Golurk: 309-364 (84.6 - 99.7%)

You still have plenty of EVs left over imo to hit some key physical defense benchmarks or speed/attack benchmarks as you see fit.

One really common bulky spread I've seen is 252 HP / 96 SpD which is 24 more EVs than I used to still not even 100% live the overheat:
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Golurk: 324-382 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Yes obviously by putting more EVs into SpD instead of HP, the physical bulk is slightly worse, but relatively little physical threatens an OHKO on Golurk anyway, since Golurk's type weaknesses are predominantly special.

Ban Goth and Riolu please

I wanted to write a post before shifts showing off all my teams that I used through NUPL, as I was definitely more active in building during this time than any other. I know that the shifts coming up will invalidate a lot of these teams, but I thought it would be a neat idea to show them off anyways, as I'm quite proud of my effort this NUPL. I know that NU tours get a bad reputation for not being very hype, but it still meant a lot to me and I'm glad we were able to get playoffs.

Here is the full team dump, in case you don't want to read anything else.

Week by Week Teams
Feliburn vs. Davon
:sylveon: :talonflame: :rotom-mow: :inteleon: :bronzong: :guzzlord:

I revised a team that I was spamming before NUPL to make it a bit more competitive for the new meta, but I forgot to account for Drapion + Heal Bell and Davon had good answers for Sylveon. Unfortunate matchup.

Accelgor vs. tlenit
:dragalge: :talonflame: :rotom-mow: :vaporeon: :bronzong: :flygon:

Brought pretty standard stuff and ended up loading into a matchup that rozes kept using against me in test matches. Came down to a 50/50 due to a Toxic miss against Omastar, but Accelgor thankfully got it right. This is also where I started creeping Talonflame 4 EVs above standard, making it to where I win most creep wars.

robjr vs. mncmt
:dragalge: :passimian: :celebi: :sylveon: :copperajah: :flygon:

Not much logic here, I just wanted to use Celebi because it was doing well this week. The team ended up working out, especially becaues we had multiple answers to Kingdra and Salazzle.
Feliburn vs. Luck O' the Irish
:sylveon: :rotom: :decidueye: :mantine: :escavalier: :mudsdale:

Ended up bringing Ghost spam into Tauros Spikes, which was unfortunate. I didn't build this specifically for this matchup which was a mistake, so while I still like the team, it was just not a good fit for this match.

Accelgor vs. Confide
:garbodor: :sirfetch :rotom-mow: :vaporeon: :copperajah: :flygon:

Growth Vileplume was not very common here, but it ended up destroying the team after Garbodor died because I wasn't running Brave Bird on my Sirfetch'd at the time. Unfortunate, but I still like the core structure.

Serene Grace vs. Punny
:xatu: :braviary: :celebi: :blastoise: :drapion: :tyrantrum:

Standard cheese team, but the matchup crumbled when Serene sacrificed his Talonflame check turn 1 and then proceeded to lose to Talonflame.
Accelgor vs. kink
:exploud: :talonflame: :rotom-mow: :passimian: :copperajah: :mudsdale:

Close match that ended up being a 100% win for Accelgor somehow. Exploud didn't do much this game, but I've really appreciated Taunt Exploud as a breaker this gen, especially versus people that don't load Diancie or Heatproof Bronzong.

Kiyo vs. sensei axew
:arcanine: :braviary: :rotom-mow: :starmie: :copperajah: :flygon:

A lot of unfortunate crits this match, but LO Starmie did what I wanted it to in the matchup and broke past his traditional cores. SubTox Araquanid from the opposing side was a huge threat.
Feliburn vs. Eternal Spirit
:guzzlord: :passimian: :vileplume: :heliolisk: :bronzong: :flygon:

Ended up bringing Band Guzzlord vs. gama because it worked in LTPL when Confide loaded my team, and also because of his overreliance on Dark resist Diancie. Vileplume put in overtime, and I think that Aromatherapy is a great 4th move on it.

robjr vs. Finchinator
:dragalge: :passimian: :rotom-mow: :sylveon: :copperajah: :mudsdale:

Not much to say here, I thought that traditional AV Copperajah cores would do work, and it did alongside Dragalge.
Feliburn vs. SoulWind
:garbodor: :ninjask: :rotom-mow: :tauros: :copperajah: :mudsdale:

This team was meant for robjr, but it worked like a charm here. Tauros did a lot of work, especially due to Iron Head, and somehow turbo speed Copperajah outsped his Glastrier to neutralize the threat.

Accelgor vs. TDK
:dragalge: :braviary: :silvally-ghost: :sylveon: :bronzong: :flygon:

Probably the most disappointing of the matches, a Moonblast roll that killed Silvally-Ghost and an unfortunate timeout that happened when clicking Brave Bird was an 100% win ended in this match being a loss. This team exposed TDK's lack of Ghost resists, and I just wish it had won.
Feliburn vs. Sabella
:dragalge: :ninjask: :decidueye: :vaporeon: :silvally-steel: :mudsdale:

This was my first and last time using Silvally-Steel. It did absolutely nothing this game, but I'm glad that Decidueye did what I expected it to. The slower Talonflame also almost messed Feli up, but I'm glad we won the speed tie anyways.

Accelgor vs. Fardin
:glastrier: :talonflame: :rotom-mow: :mantine: :bronzong: :flygon:

Mantine was really good here, but the demon Bronzong set really messed us up here, especially because I chose not to use Throat Chop instead of Substitute. I was happy with the Mantine matchup, but the rest of it was unfortunate.

robjr vs. Garay Oak
:sylveon: :passimian: :xatu: :goodra: :copperajah: :mudsdale:

We ended up using the bad Goodra set (aka not Iron Tail) and got punished. Garay used teams weak to Goodra in the past, and did his best to fix that this week, which made the matchup a lot harder.
Feliburn vs. S1nn0hConfirmed
:drapion: :ninjask: :diancie: :vaporeon: :copperajah: :flygon:

The matchup was really solid other than the Bronzong, but the burn on Drapion was unfortunate and didn't allow Feliburn to pressure it very well. This is a replay I'd like to point to when people bring up Vaporeon for S; there's plenty of ways to abuse it, and Bronzong uses it as fodder here.
Accelgor vs. PinkDragonTamer
:braviary: :sylveon: :ninjask: :rotom-mow: :copperajah: :mudsdale:

This team didn't really do what I wanted it to, especially with the crit vs. Braviary. I think that Passimian over Ninjask might be better, but I like Braviary a lot in this meta, especially with Iron Head to bait Diancie.

Feliburn vs. daniYSB
:heliolisk: :copperajah: :diancie: :starmie: :mantine: :golurk:

I'm a bit critical of how Feli played around Goodra after we used the same set last week. However, I really like this team, and I think that it'd be able to go over the top of a lot of balances especially with Golurk.

robjr vs. Punny
:aerodactyl: :flygon: :bronzong: :vaporeon: :celebi: :talonflame:

We wanted to use Aerodactyl, and when building this I realized how hard it is to make a good core around it. However, it put in a lot of work here, and this replay shows again how good Celebi really is.

Shoutouts

Chill Shadow and robjr, thank you for letting me retain you, and thank you especially for CS for helping with the draft. I'm sorry neither of you were particularly motivated towards the back half of the season, but it was a pleasure teaming with you.

Feliburn, I'm sorry for making you the punchline of every joke after our 7-1 victory Week 1, and thank you for having an overall good season even though I gave you a ton of bad matchups.

Accel, thank you for picking up the tier and trying your hardest, testing and helping me to build and tinker teams even though you didn't know the tier before.

Alpha Rabbit, thank you for helping to carry our Sword and Shield testing and building and playing well the couple weeks I put you in, I'd love to team with you again.

Jrdn, you really carried a ton in SM, and it was a joy to see you have an amazing season and play yourself out of tricky situations like in Semifinals.

Chaitanya, sorry I couldn't provide more support for ORAS but thank you a lot for playing and giving your best effort, and thank you Kiyo for helping to fill the gaps where I couldn't in that department.

JabbaTheGriffin, thank you for building with me every week, I'm glad that we got to learn ADV NU together, play with some cool concepts, and win some games.

Thank you to my bench Serene Grace, LpZ , and HSA for joining and chilling in the team chat, even though we didn't get to talk much.

HSOWA is the GOAT, and i'm really happy that ChillShadow asked him to sign up and got me to buy him, 8-0 is a ridiculous record and I wish we could've taken it further.

Thanks to Tomahawk for supporting, and for umbry and Specs giving emotional support throughout the season.

Last but not least bugzinator, thank you for helping me to draft and assemble the team, and just being a good friend over the past year, it means a lot to me.​

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dropping some Sets and two teams, I'm a bit lazy to go through everything but showing what I saved in the builder for this:
:rotom-mow::celebi:
Rotom-Mow @ Yache Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Pain Split

Dream Big (Celebi) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 28 SpA / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Leaf Storm
Yache Berry Rotom-C is something I brought up as a minor check to Blastoise. Celebi with Custap Berry is also something I brought up as a lure for Blastoise but the moveslots were a bit tricky on the team I was building so we didn't bring it lmao.
:salazzle: + :blastoise:
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest
- Rapid Spin

Salazzle (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
Blastoise traps Vaporeon and PP stalls it to allow Salazzle to setup more freely. We didn't bring this either but someone brought this exact core and I said "damnnnnn" during a NU Grand Slam match.
:frosmoth:
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
I brought this shitmon as a lure for steels with Choice Band Guzzlord but the overall team was very slow. Something like Rocky Helmet Flygon seemed like a better pair after evaluating my match.
:bronzong:
Bronzong @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Heavy Slam
- Trick
Trick + Orb Bronzong is cool for pressuring fat like Xatu and Vaporeon.

:drampa:
Drampa @ Chople Berry
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
Chople Drampa came up as an idea for Ghost immunity + minor Sirfetch'd check. It's awfully slow but I've seen it do small progress in a match I had versus it.
:virizion:
Virizion
Ability: Justified
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Stone Edge
Calm Mind tricks the opponent that you aren't Stone Edge allowing you to lure Talonflame in more easily.
:passimian: :xatu:
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Beat Up
- Knock Off
Beat Up Passimian is something I was testing because I wanted to use both Rock Slide AND Gunk Shot so I used Beat Up as a medium to hit Talonflame and Sylveon instead. Gunk Shot is still fine for Talonflame but the burn on Passimian really sucks. Future Sight + CC pressures a lot in the tier but sadly Bronzong sets are getting a bit insane to show this off. U-turn Xatu is also nice for Celebi.
:mantine:
Mantine @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
- Roost
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Hurricane
Lure for Electric-types but I think this would need Xatu as a partner, maybe like BirdSpam, but unsure.
:guzzlord:
Guzzlord @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Draco Meteor
Draco Meteor Guzzlord is really neat for bopping other Guzzlords. I've found this set to be a menace to more bulkier builds (or stall builds)..they literally just forfeit after you OHKO their Guzzlord lmao.
:araquanid:
Araquanid @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
Araquanid is a decent Blastoise check and Liquidation hits like a truck.
:dhelmise:
Dhelmise @ Coba Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis
This is an USUM spread I put together because I hate Vivillon. If the opponent pops their Z cap versus your Coba Berry Dhelmise..then just forfeit lmao.
+1 252 SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Coba Berry Dhelmise: 229-270 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
:bronzong:
Bronzong @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Trick
An adjusted Bronzong set. Its a lot going on here but Iron Defense can bait in Fighting resists like Sylveon/Xatu/Talonflame and you just trick the Orb on em.
:diancie:
Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
I wanted to use Heal Bell and Rocks on Diancie while also being able to hit Copperajah, Arcanine, and Guzzzlord. Body Press + Moonblast sounds a bit ugly. This set is a bit speedy because y'all like running insane speed on a defensive Guzzlord lol...

:absol: :ferroseed: :weezing: :sylveon: :heliolisk: :flygon:
https://pokepast.es/e433a1f92cf00a90

:indeedee-f: :guzzlord: :talonflame: :mudsdale: :copperajah: :sylveon:
https://pokepast.es/5f8d2f0d19bc9dd9

Last edited:

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This wasn't a very inspired NUPL showing from me this year, but I did use a couple of Pokemon/sets that I think are underrated in the current DPP meta.

:golem:
Golem @ Chople Berry / Shuca Berry / Custap Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I've historically been down on Golem as outclassed by Regirock, but I think it's better now than it's ever been in the last 10 years. The biggest factor is Rock Blast allowing it to force out the super-popular SubCM Drifblim and SubToxic Charizard, but it also benefits from trends like Regirock dropping EQ more often, Scarf Tauros becoming more standard, and LO Charizard almost completely disappearing. Regirock is still usually the better choice, but I'd at least consider Golem over it on offensive teams right now.

:shiftry:
Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Hasty Nature / Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Explosion / Hidden Power [Rock]

I'm a big Shiftry fan in general, but I have mostly stuck with Swords Dance or mixed LO sets with Sucker Punch in the past, which both suffer a bit from the current popularity of Sub Charizard (and to a lesser extent Sub Drifblim). Sunny Day Shiftry is a nice alternative that turns the tables on teams relying on fast Sub users as their Shiftry counter. I went with HP Rock in my match since I was feeling confident that bulky Charizard would be my opponent's Shiftry switch-in (and was correct), but I'd probably use Explosion in general if you're not feeling super fishy. Hasty/Timid to outspeed the increasingly popular Scarf Tauros while Sun is up.

:golduck:
Golduck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cloud Nine
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf

I'm not sure I've ever seen Scarf Golduck on a serious team before, but it seemed ok on paper, and after testing it out I was pleasantly surprised. It's not super strong or super fast or super bulky, but it has enough of each that it wins 1v1 vs most other offensive Pokemon (including most other Choice Scarf users), and in particular works as an offensive check to both Floatzel and Charizard at the same time, which is kind of hard to find. As a bonus, it's also insurance against weather teams without being Skuntank bait like Gardevoir.

I meant to post this like a week ago, but I've been too lazy. I also tried posting this 5 minutes ago but for some reason my computer thought what I really wanted to do was close the tab with the entire post written in it :). Unfortunately I have to rewrite this whole thing. w/e.

With My loss to TDK in the tiebreaker for the semifinals, the Talonflames were knocked out of this NUPL. Before I played I really had no idea what PL's were or how they worked. I really only joined because I had won two tournaments not too long before, and zben said I should try to play. I think my first message in our team's discord was something along the lines of "wtf is this." 7 wins and 9 games later, I've become a more competent player and met so many amazing people.

:druddigon::drapion::inteleon::xatu::copperajah::sylveon:
The first week I really didn't know what I was doing or who I was doing it versus. I think Oathkeepre suggested an offensive life orb druddigon. From there I made a pretty standard balance using that as the breaker.
:kingdra::xatu::aggron::flygon::blastoise::ninjask:
The next week I decided to use a playstyle that might be considered cheap. I think I decided to make this because I was messing around with fighting spam screens with tnunes or kink or acr1 or someone and decided that it was a solid playstyle. Its pretty standard. The only thing slightly strange is the aggron. Aggron is a decent suicide lead, its got pretty much everything you could ask for in one. Its got strong stab attacks, a way to kill itself, endeavor, sturdy, etc.
:flygon::sylveon::drapion::copperajah::vaporeon::mesprit:
This team is pretty cool, but I didn't make it. Shout out to Thiago Nunes for this one. Mesprit is a cool pokemon, this set especially. Being a psychic type, it lures the steels. The moves it has hit copper and zong for solid damage. Knock is also some great utility.
:espeon::diancie::aerodactyl::flygon::rotom-mow::ninjask:
The idea for this team came from some practice games with Xiri. They used this specs trick espeon and tricked it to my copperajah. I expected them to switch out and I clicked rocks. They clicked protect and I was made a fool. I thought it was pretty cool and funny so I built a team around it. Espeon lures in steels and protects on them to scout/bounce status moves. Aero is a decently strong sweeper. Acrobatics ninjask is also crazy strong. The offensive diancie is a cool lure for vaporeon. It outspeeds and nails it with moonblast.
:drifblim::copperajah::drapion::goodra::rotom-mow::vaporeon:
This is where the weird stuff starts. Drifblim was probably the funnest thing I've used. I think the speed outspeeds scarf gon with unburden, and the defense is for knock off from some fighting type or something. Once its berry is activated, drifblim is bulky and fast. It can calm mind, do a little bit of damage with tbolt/shadow ball, or recover hp with strength sap. This set can beat diancie and potentially drapion with its berry activated. It goes bonkers sometimes. Other than that the team isn't too crazy. AV goodra is cool. Goodra naturally has a nice SpD stat and with AV it becomes a blanket check to special mons. Its also got good coverage and can spread poisons with sludge bomb.
:froslass::tauros::xatu::toxicroak::bronzong::flygon:
This team is pretty cool. Tauros+spikes isn't too crazy, but froslass isn't something you see all the time. It does feel sorta weak (in the game I used it, it didn't even KO mantine with tbolt), but if you're a good player you can definitly benefit from correct prediction with it. Spikes are always nice and sorta hard to come by in this meta.
:zoroark::flygon::palossand::guzzlord::vileplume::sandslash-alola:
This is probably my favorite team, its been used a few times in other tournaments which I think is cool. It is a really heat team too while somehow seeming like psuedo-standard. I scouted my opponent a bit and saw a high usage of toxicroak, flygon and ninjask. Palossand covers toxicroak and flygon, but not really ninjask as much. While building there were some holes in the team. While me and ACR1 were building we couldn't quite find something to patch those weaknesses until ACR1 suggested alolan sandslash. It was pretty much exactly what we needed. With spikes and hazard removal it did more than just sit there as well. Ice shard does a load to faster threats that wouldnt expect it like flygon and ninjask. The rest of the team is pretty cool too. I wanted something for starmi and drapion so I used an AV guzzlord (can definitly just be lefties, protect would help scout specs sylveon). Dragon tail on that is cool for denying vap's wish. The team started out as a memento zoroark+flygon setup core and evolved into this from there. The def on zoro let it live flygon eq after rocks. Its a really solid team that has a decent amount of wincons, and it can be really good at setting up a late game flygon sweep.
:rotom-mow::mantine::bronzong::sylveon::passimian::druddigon:
Kink made this team with some input from me. I knew I wanted to use mold breaker drud due to my opponents high xatu and ninjask usage. Its a solid team with a lot of potential if played offensively. The sylveon lacks protect in favor of calm mind to add a wincon and an offensively-played mon to the team. Specs rotom-mow is cool, and another thing Kink came up with. It does a lot of damage and can get through some of mowtom's normal checks with specs dark pulse.

Last edited:

ACR1

Yo siempre la llevo al cielo
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending ORAS Circuit Champion
OnArceus already talked about A-Sandlash i just wana go deepend on the set

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Ice Shard
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

We needed a: Ninjask check, ice and dragon resist, hazard control so basically we needed a steel type with hazard control, and at my 2am i suddenly got a idea: A-Sandlash
It patch the holes of the team and u also have spikes and priority

Evspread is for Dragalge (no focus blast ofc)
124+ SpA Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Sandslash-Alola: 113-134 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

a cool mon tbh SteelVally get chiped so easy imo and ice priority in the flygon tier is fire

It was a fun season everyone on the team was amazing <3

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Figured I'd do a minor team dump:

:tauros: :mesprit: :steelix: :pelipper: :magmortar: :shiftry:
Week 1 vs Teddeh

This is a very basic overpresssure-core kinda team. People often bring really mediocre Tauros checks nowadays, as well, gurdurr is bad in plume meta. Work Up Tauros + Scarf Mesprit mean that you have multiple ways to sorta break through their shared checks, be it setting up, breaking, and then getting hwish'd up, or using Tauros to weaken something like Lix so that Mesprit can clean. Lix + Pelipper is a fantastic defensive core, that, while weak to offensive Fire types, covers a load of other stuff super well. Thief Magmortar is the thing I'm most proud of on this team, and was sorta born from me noticing that all of Teddeh's usual fire checks were very item reliant. Clef is a great mortar check until it loses its Evio, Lanturn is crippled on losing AV or Lefties, Yama really loves AV to actually tank T-bolts well. Finally Boom Shiftry is last to hopefully lure in and KO either Vileplume or Hariyama.

:swellow: :omastar: :claydol: :shiftry: :ninetales: :garbodor:
Week 2 vs Chaitanya

This team is not that good, but I saw an old set dump with defensive Smash Omastar, and wanted to build around it as it could theoretically do some cool stuff. Overall I probably should have set up early, but figured Chait was running a Scarf Mesp not a specs mesp, and got punished for that read. Overall this team does not have enough ways to really punish Clef. That said, I do sorta like the concept of spikestack + Swellow + Ninetales, as Ninetales does a great job at weakening the rock type checks to Swellow, as well as Lanturn.

:mesprit: :lanturn: :gourgeist: :rhydon: :kangaskhan: :skuntank:

Week 3 vs Lycans

Another overpressure team, again using Mesprit + Normal type. CM HP Fire Mesprit is quite terrifying to face unless you have basically suit skunk, and I did not match into suit skunk. Basic idea is fairly apparent of use HP Fire Mesp to try to whittle Lix and Ferro for Kanga, while using Fog skunk to lure in and whittle Rhydon / Regirock. Its Pup + AV Kanga because I wanted a bit more space vs special threats on the team given that its 0 special bulk rhydon, Scarf Gourg gives a last ditch check to both Hitmon and Samu, Lanturn gives heal bell support which is invaluable for both Kanga and Mesprit given that they're both fairly slow mons.

Week 4 was act

:grumpig: :pelipper: :primeape: :tauros: :steelix: :vileplume:
Week 5 vs Soulgazer

The idea here was sorta use Primeape to bring in Grumpig for free on Poison types and then theoretically set up and win. SF Lix helps wiht that by theoretically removing Rotom for you, making it easier, but like, this team did not work that well in practice. The fact that I didn't settle on a team and used something I built quickly really shows with both the team and the quality of the game. Pelipper is forever good, and Suit Tauros again tries to trap Rotom.

:regigigas: :mesprit: :rhydon: :mantine: :magmortar: :vileplume:

Week 6 vs obii

Saw a load of Vileplume usage, and was inspired by a weird SMZU set that I always felt used Regi's stats/stuff better than the parafusion sets. Sub is ev'd to tank both Plume's Sludge Bomb and defensive Lix's everything, though with enough attack Ada Lix can break Substitute. Secret Power is the attack of choice because it doesn't make contact, letting you sorta run through Plume without being just put to sleep/para'd. Speed invest is for base 80s after and base 50s before. Flame Charge Mortar + Stun Spore Plume are the team's counterplay against offense (with Mesprit), and Mesprit also Hwishes Regi cause its good at breaking for itself.

:lanturn: :vileplume: :mesprit: :hitmonchan: :steelix: :pyroar:

Week 7 vs Goomy

Scarf Lanturn is a weird but solid pick for a team that needed a better Rotom answer (Pyroar ain't enough), actual speed, and really wanted some Heal Bell Support. I expected either Stall or HO from The Goomy, and CM Eball Mesp is part of the team's anti-stall portion, being able to theoretically just run through some stall builds, especially those that rely on special skunk as their like only real Mesprit check. AV Chan is my actual fire/ice resist, because Scarf Lanturn and Pyroar don't count. Curse Lix is something I knew I wanted to try out vs The Goomy since the beginning as it can theoretically just set up at preview vs some HOs, and also can guarantee rocks vs CM Xatu. Taunt Wisp Pyroar is courtesy of Luck, and performs well vs both builds.

Unfortunately scheduling in the finals was very difficult, and games didn't get done. That said I'll post some prototypes.

Jynx + CM Aud

https://pokepast.es/ff3af870f99a33cb

Sash Jynx is great into offense, and I was expecting it from Ren-Chon. CM Aud is a secondary method of sorta trading vs offensive builds, and does a great job at luring in and removing Poisons for Torterra, who may be able to clean. Twave Regi, Peli, Scarf Garb round out the team by providing resists to most of the other required stuff, even if Specs Sprit tears the team a new one.

Retooled Blast Semi-Screens

https://pokepast.es/4f3a100c9a15c1fc

This is a blast team from like ages ago with a few sets swapped. Screens Rotom fits oddly well onto standard Bo builds as it still provides those wonderful resists, Wisp spam, and Volt, Pawniard matches weirdly well into Plume builds, and Gorebyss is forever great. I had Scarf Garb on the brain at this time and it sorta shows.

Smeargle (Georgle?)

https://pokepast.es/5596ece3889f7475

The finals were decided by the time I built this team. Its geomancy Smeargle with wallbreaking support from Scarf Rampardos. This works in theory until you remember that Skuntank, AV Yama, AV Chan, Reg Chan, Samurott, Regirock, Rhydon exist. Still the team did get a couple of wins in tests just cause the rest of the team is solid.

Arbok

https://pokepast.es/f7ca729093a236f5

Arbok is super spicy vs like Lix spammers, esp when you pair it with broken Knock + Turn Mesprit. Idea is basically that you should be able to remove the item of their Lix or Rhydon fairly reliably because people just let you do that, after which point Arbok can pretty trivially set up on their Poison/Fighting/Grass type, and potentially just win game from there. It also basically eats Clefairy by being sorta Status immune while easily forcing it out with Gunk. Yama provides secondary screw bulky Poison support, Scarftom is always useful, and Gastrodon is just fat and brings in Plume. Sorta a weird balance but I love how it played in tests.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it's fair at this point to say that Heysup isn't gonna post for ADV, so now I get to post the innovations that I had a part in. Heysup had plenty of other (better) ones all on his own, so much credit to him for all of those.

Roar Raticate - Mon that forces a lot of switches and has reasonably few switchins? Check. Can't really damage those switch-ins since HP Ground does very poor damage to Metang/Relicanth and Shadow Ball doesn't really bother Sableye? Check. Meta filled with spikes to chip those switch ins down? Check.
Used here

Fake Out Encore Dewgong - Nearly every offensive team (and even lots of defensive teams) should have a priority user capable of taking down the numerous mons that try to sweep at 1 HP. This Dewgong is not as good as any mon that uses QA or Mach Punch, both in terms of damage output and in that Endure has higher priority and will actually let the 1 HP sweeper take 0 damage and live the Fake Out, at which point you'd possibly have to sac and try again... So in that sense it's not actually an Endure sweeper check, but the point here I think was more surprise factor than anything. In addition, if your opponent does know that it's a Fake Out Dewgong and Endures just to be safe, you can click Encore and that solves the problem too :p
Used here on an otherwise crack team I don't really support xD

Focus Punch Sableye - Not revealed in any NUPL game, but pairs well with Shadow Ball as a second attack in terms of type coverage and it keeps Sableye from being set up bait against something like a Pupitar. Moreover, Sableye often forces free turns from things like normals or hitmonchan switching out.

Bughouse — 06/05/2021 [4:46 PM]
you could do a scarf golduck as an alternative weather checking scarf that resists water
:golduck:
Golduck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cloud Nine
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf

I'm not sure I've ever seen Scarf Golduck on a serious team before, but it seemed ok on paper, and after testing it out I was pleasantly surprised. It's not super strong or super fast or super bulky, but it has enough of each that it wins 1v1 vs most other offensive Pokemon (including most other Choice Scarf users), and in particular works as an offensive check to both Floatzel and Charizard at the same time, which is kind of hard to find. As a bonus, it's also insurance against weather teams without being Skuntank bait like Gardevoir.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)