Resource NUPL Set Dump

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Showing off a few offensive grasses that really showed their worth in a few teams.

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb
- Blizzard

SD LO aboma is a proper cool mon because the mixture of the two gives you meaingfully strong priority doing about 40% to Toge and 62-73 to Croak at +2 while Blizzard gives you a super strong attack to spam before setting up that still does about half to Cofa with Hail Damage. Very potent with Hwish support because there are very few teams that can take on this set twice, and well, just a cool way to subvert expectations of what the set can normally do. Yes, its totally stolen from ORAS, but well, that's a fun tier.

Shiftry @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide / Defog
- Explosion

Great at rkilling most threats in the tier barring Barbaracle, creates a ton of room, and can optionally run Defog to provide a secondary source of removal for like, Hitmonchan teams or Xatu teams that don't love hazards but don't want to spend a second slot to guarantee rocks are gone. Explosion is amazing per usual and can OHKO yama with a good roll. Not my creation, but something that found its way onto a lot of teams and really showed a lot of use. I forget which weeks this was shown, but it was on my ORAS team I was gonna use vs teddeh.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

This one showed its worth in a ton of games as well, its a scarfer that completely prevents Drampa from spamming its stabs, can easily clean weakened teams by doing ~50% to Sanda, and provides healing wish which is invaluable support for sweepers like Silvally Dragon. Ya do have to get a bit risky with predictions vs Drampa as Fire Blast does a ton, but if ya need to support a strong sweeper, want a mon that can clean a weakened team, and have a mon that lets Drampa in (goss/gourg), its a very solid pick. Just pair with a mon like Sanda to stop SD Vally formes as you can't rkill them if they get a flame charge up.

Drampa @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Defog
- Flamethrower / Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Berserk + HP invest mean you can technically abuse Clef to stack enough SpA Boosts to just break it, which is super cool, HDB means you are surprisingly resilient as a check to Watervally, Rapidash, and Firevally, Defog is op as usual. Pretty simple set, evs are to outrun Pilo with minimal creep, max bulk, and rest in SpA so you can hit harder. Ya can go Dragon Pulse over Flamethrower so you can actually pressure Cofa, as without it Cofa just body presses you, but that means you just let Fisk-G get rocks up again.

Indeedee-F (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Mystical Fire

This is an iffy set, and like, something def better on paper than practice, but figured I'd share it in case anyone can use it as inspiration to create a better version of it. Clefairy is a lot of people's Indeedee check, for good reason, and having a mon that can basically sub up, click cm, and just laugh at it is theoretically super nice. Issue is well, you can't break Quag without Pterrain being up. Outside of that I honestly like the set, and it does some super cool stuff; just a bit iffy on the presence of substitute given how it works in practice, even if Sub does let you just laugh at MBlast/Toxic/sr/Sb clef. There's probably an optimal CM indeedee set out there, though this one just has some crippling flaws that mean it ain't it.

I'll prolly edit in more, but lost my builder halfway through the season so sadness is true.

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive

Pastebin - SS Rain

NUPL Week 1 vs Durza

I really enjoyed this rain team that I used in Week 1. In team preview it is very difficult to determine whether or not it actually IS rain, and generally once the opponent is fully committed to it being rain, it is too late. Banded Dred is super cool and showed off what it can do for the team T1 of the game against Durza. Ultimately, the team isn't going to be incredibly consistent on ladder, but was an awesome pick for Week 1 of a new NUPL.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I built quite a few unusual Drifblim sets and ended up using most of them. Mostly I was trying to bank on assumptions of what a Drifblim does and take advantage of opponents plays in reaction to that. Since many teams have limited options to reliably stop CM Drifblim sweeper sets, I instead ran a few boom sets which can create favorable trades while also being a useful defensive option to check things your team can't actually beat.
I tend to find DPP NU has too many threats to really cover everything outside of a stall team (and even then...), so Explosion is in many ways offense as defense. IMO it's the second best move in DPP NU after Stealth Rock. Like I said against Heysup:
☆Bughouse: it's not a bughouse team without at least 3 explosion users

I also tested out using Drifblim as a lead in a new way from what I've generally seen.

Drifblim @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 72 Atk / 76 Def / 16 SpA / 252 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch
- Psychic

Used here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4nu-1108126160-b21385a6boe1aixlud0fjgtkiey37fapw
Didn't get to show off this super strange set other than T-Waving a scarf Gardevoir.
It was trying to do a lot of cool things at once
72 Atk Drifblim Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haunter: 196-232 (84.8 - 100.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Drifblim: 278-330 (63.1 - 75%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Crunch vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Colbur Berry Drifblim: 246-289 (55.9 - 65.6%)
The goal of this set was to 1) not actually be the wincon but can bait and boom on Skuntank, as well as 2) TWave shit, or 3) even sucker Haunter, all to try to create favorable winning conditions for the actual wincons CM Rest Slowking and Marowak.
Psychic as the seemingly random 4th move is to best react to Vileplume, Poliwrath, and Hitmonchan, who I viewed as threats to my team under certain circumstances.

Drifblim @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt

Used here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4nu-499118
As a lead, Trick Scarf Boom Drifblim can generally trade/mess with a lot of common leads. Sash isn't actually that common of an item on leads outside of Jynx. There's also Shiftry, Sharpedo, Kadabra, and maybe a few others, but it's not too common. Boom lets you just straight up trade 1v1 against any other lead, except for Regirock. And indeed, Jynx and Regirock (especially Lum Regirock) are the two leads you need to be the most worried about generally. Drifblim already has one somewhat famous lead set called Hindenburg that uses Hypnosis and Boom with Focus Sash, so I wanted to take advantage of that assumption against Heysup. Scarf totally changes the matchups from a "safe" play to eating Trick or getting boomed on for a possible double down. Pair with Pursuit Tauros to eliminate the sash user if it's one that outruns and threatens your team even from 1 hp. This is also used best with a second scarfer in the back, imo, since the chance you're booming turn 1 is high.

Drifblim @ Flame Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball

Not used, but was also an option I had in mind the week I used the Scarf Blimp above.
A similar approach here that I didn't use is Trick Flame Orb Drifblim. Given the prevalence of Lum Regi leads this NUPL it seemed like a decent meta pick, but ultimately the issues it has with Jynx (and possibly Venomoth) leads led me to pick the Trick Scarf set as a safer midground. The team I would have used this on had Hypno, so as to have the best possible switch in to Jynx available. CM Pass probably isn't strictly necessary for the idea of Trick Orb, but fit the team I had it on.

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 140 Def / 176 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Explosion
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

used here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4nu-1119061934
This set was intended as a stop to cheese Linoone strats while still being reasonably useful otherwise. EVs/IVs ensure that sitrus activates after coming in on rocks twice/once+sub. This ensures needing to sac less to get into position vs Linoone. I felt ok with still using a strat that involved sacing to beat it, since those teams are generally set up so strongly around Linoone that they've sacced to get it into position and have limited options once you beat the Linoone. But basically, once you've activated Unburden, you're faster than even Salac Linoone and can use Explosion. Explosion will let you take down most anything in the tier that's not a Rock, while Destiny Bond lets you still trade with those when they're not expecting it. In general, the combo of Explosion and Destiny Bond makes it a good utility check to almost anything. In this game it let me handle SD Meganium, which was one of the threats I also had in mind when picking to go the Drifblim route. I was worried about Meganium and even more so sun abusers given a few of my mons lacking options to hit them as well as my team's slowness. So I was very pleased to see the set still prove its worth even when I didn't face Linoone cheese.
EVs live Hitmonchan's (non-LO) TP/IP after Rocks, nearly guarantee OHKO Medicham after Rocks, and outrun Scarf Tauros after unburden/Adamant Skuntank before Unburden.

I feel like i keep adopting post-cheese strats but here are a few cool sets i used:

Dusclops @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Pain Split

Banette @ Custap Berry
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Return

These were meant as a way to revenge Drifblim without losing to Driflblim and still block spikes. Dusclops actually hits pretty hard and has perfect coverage - it's low HP stat is very conducive to Pain Splitting. Banette is cool as a psychic trapper too and actually does let you RK Linoone once you're in custap range.

Tauros (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Regirock @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Stealth Rock

The above two sets are basically just there because of the toxic spam that has slowly entered this tier. Regirock is now a 100% toxic zard counter. Tauros has enough natural bulk to shrug off a few weak hits and parlaysis/burns/toxic and rest up to complete its sweep.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
as usual w/ nupl i did a lot of building/theorymon so ill drop them separated by gen

ss

ill start with my week 1 ideas so they might be a little outdated. also only dropping sets here bc a lot of teams are now invalid bc of the drops.

:wishiwashi-school:
Wishiwashi-School @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 68 Def / 12 SpA / 112 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Protect

star was the first person to use this in nupl i think, and i built him a team around it week 1 after trying it out on ladder and was really happy w/ it. while i didnt invent wishiwashi (i think quziel was the one that i saw using it first) i think i can take a bit of credit in how widespread it currently is bc of how much i hyped it / spread teams around with it after week 1. this spread was specifically for handling np croak, and i use a lot of different variations on the spread now.

Wishiwashi-School @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 72 Def / 72 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Protect

another wishi spread that i came up w/ a while after the above one, think the first game it was used in was gorex vs tdk. ev spread has been worked on a bit since then, but the general gist of the set is outspeeding clefable with 48 evs and pressuring spdef sets fairly hard w/ a strong liquidation. now i think when running this set going ada w/ a bit more attacking to guarantee the 2hko is more useful, there is still merit to keeping it bulky and running a spread like this.

:liepard:
Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Limber
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Grass Knot

i used this one week 1 vs soulgazer, and i think i can take full credit for this one. i was looking for a way to deal and lure clef/quag cores as they were a bit annoying @ that point in the meta, and my eyes settled on liepard w/ gunk and gknot. theres a lot of different options for set / spread now, but this is what i still like the best, and think works really well. even tho it isnt as much of a surprise now, it still is able to heavily pressure defensive cores w/ strong knocks and coverage to deal w/ bulkier mons. options like psycho cut/play rough/copycat/u-turn are also seeing use now, which makes liep even more threatening as you have to play around a lot of coverage options.

:lanturn:
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 232 SpA / 4 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

this one never got to see the light of nupl, but ive used it on quite a few teams now, and its the only lanturn set i really use anymore. the speed evs here outspeed adamant max speed sandaconda, with enough spa to ohko with hydro pump. this is really great at catching people off guard, as they always expect sanda to outspeed and ohko av lanturn. definitely would give this mon a shot as its still really bulky w/ av, but can dish out some strong hits w/ the given ev spread.

:orbeetle:
Orbeetle @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 244 HP / 40 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Recover
- Sticky Web

was looking @ the builder for things to build w/ and i stopped at orbeetle eventually. after i looked a bit more into its stats/movepool, i realized how much of a menace a bulkier webs set actually could be. it has the ability to handle quite a few deffogers, as w/ the given ev spread you 3hko rotom-frost/fan w/o bulk. it speed tier is also amazing as it is base 90, and can outspeed said rotom forms as well as fighting types like croak/sawk. overall i think webs is generally underutilized, and orbeetle is heavily underrated.

:gourgeist-small:
Gourgeist-Small (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

just a small move variation on this one, but i think phantom force is a great option on gourgeist to better pressure mons like elde/get a strong hit on something like cofag if needed. it is also great at getting more wisp damage/hazard damage racked up, and can pressure mons like rotom-s a lot better. gourgeist is honestly one of the best offensive mons atm (at least pre-drops) and i regret not using it more in semis just bc i think its such a great mon.

bw

i recycled a lot when i played bw/gave teams to dnb, and really only built in the tiebreak.

:rotom-frost: :carracosta: :mandibuzz: :gurdurr: :gardevoir: :seismitoad:
https://pokepast.es/10855ca1556c95e9

wanted to use smth w/ a bit of a better mu vs fat/still had a good mu vs the bo watashi liked to bring, so i eventually settled on running a specs frostom, as w/ trick you pressure fatter builds, and vs bo you can just spam your stabs pretty freely. i threw on this costa next bc im addicted to this set and think its really good at getting up rocks t1 and then getting a kill vs non-mola teams. this mandi set is also fantastic @ facing bulkier teams w/ speed + taunt/tox to break them down, especially w/ rocks being up most of the game. gurdurr+gard is once of my favorite balance cores to throw onto teams bc its essentially giving gurdurr two lives in a lot of games w/ healing wish. sub seis was the last addition bc i was feeling a bit weak to fire types/water types and it also can pressure/spread toxic with this set.

dpp

i did build a bit more for dpp so ill just drop the teams here.

https://pokepast.es/969b2cd0c696e821 - expulso used this vs ima in the semis, with me mainly wanting to use tspikes as ima had very little skunk usage.
https://pokepast.es/c6d7127593d06975 - dnb had been wanting to use linoone cheese for a while, and eventually i put this together for expulso to use. the idea behind it is pretty simple w/ just getting up sr+spikes so linoone has a guaranteed kill vs 252/0 regi, and skunk for tspikes and tauros to clean.
https://pokepast.es/f1a5848dcabeb378 - expulso used this vs hmnip with pedo>floatzel, with me mainly wanting to use subnp jynx as it had a good mu vs the fatter/cheesier teams i expected from the swines since osgoode was the main dpp player before hmnip.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
1591804221761.png

My Friend John (Crawdaunt) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ancient Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off / Surf / HP Ground

This fella is a sick lead. Forces glalie out, has a surprisingly tasty speed tier, does work on water switchins and is great for weakening wailord for your Pupitar or something, absolutely fucks roselias that expect special, lum keeps you in the black vs toxics from the likes of Sablye Flareon Torkoal. Also gives you a 10% chance to Win The Entire Game.

:pimp: :afrostar:

ss
:silvally-fire:
Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Grass Pledge
- Imprison
- Swords Dance

Never got to use this but the idea is to use this silvally on webs so you beat silvally water/dragon 1v1.

:fraxure:
Fraxure @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Poison Jab

Nothing too creative here, I was just looking at first impression users for sun/offense and decided fraxure was the best.

:duosion:
THE NIGHTMARE (Duosion) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor

I used this is semis. I was expecting something on the fatter side for this game and duosion runs through those type of teams.

:rotom-frost:
BLIZZARD ISLAND (Rotom-Frost) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 HP / 104 Def / 136 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Discharge
- Blizzard
- Pain Split

So i wanted to try NP rotom frost bc the team i used it on (semis) didn't need removal. The concept behind the spread is to be bulky but avoid investing in hp so I could get more hp back with pain split.

:malamar:
Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Simple Beam
- Rest

Just a disclaimer this is more than likely terrible but I thought simple beam could be cool for malamar mirrors and unaware.

:noctowl:
Noctowl @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tinted Lens
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

I dont want to show the spread i use but a wcop game inspired me with this.

:flapple:
Flapple @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Ripen
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Tdk used this I'm pretty sure. We were theorymonning flapple sets when it dropped and came across this after declaring hustle unviable.

:silvally-poison:
SANTUZ (Silvally-Poison) @ Poison Memory
Ability: RKS System
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge
- Parting Shot

The infamous poisonvally that lax came up with, I think we went like 3-0 with this mon in playoffs.

Other random stuff i had on sets is like foul play on scarf croak for sd silvally ghost and future sight on indeedee but garay thought of it originally.

SUNM
So I don't think this team has been posted anywhere and I've had success with it and lax won with it in slam semis last year.

:liepard: :regirock: :exeggutor: :victreebel: :typhlosion: :xatu:
Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 112 HP / 116 Atk / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sunny Day
- Encore
- U-turn

Regirock @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Exeggutor @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Ground
- Sleep Powder

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Quick Attack
- Flamethrower

Xatu @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Simple Beam
- Roost
- U-turn

Just small things to note: simple beam xatu is for drudd and the liepard/regi spreads do specific things that I don't remember.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some ideas that may or may not have been used.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Think Tony mightve used this week 2, Superpower mainly nails Rotom-Frost.

Perrserker @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Week 3. In my opinion the meta back then, maybe still is idk, was slow enough to justify base 50 scarfers. Perrserker still hits hard and it put in work that game so i was happy with that.

Drampa @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Roost

We had chople drampa in mind a few times to shit on cofagrigus but it never pulled it off.

Klinklang @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Iron Defense

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)