SM OU Ocean Man, a rain HO team

Hello I'm Charmflash, formerly known as Za Meowdo and would like to thank you for checking out my RMT. Since there is no important USM OU tournament going on for me right now or anytime soon I figured I'd share my most recent creation with the community. I believe this version of rain is better than the Peli/Pert/Ashninja/Koko/Lucha/Ferro thats been spammed all over SM OU and would like to encourage everybody to try it out on ladder as rain is notorious for beating up offense, a very common archtype there.

Ocean Man (Pelipper) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Ocean MAN himself. The best rain setter by far this generation, a must on any rain team. I chose the supportive set because I believe the best way to use rain is by setting up your dedicated abusers for success and Pelipper is great at doing just that because of its access to u-turn. The given EVs allow him to tank a Supersonic Skystrike from Landorus-Therian and survive two Hydro Pumps from Keldeo. Hurricane is my attack of choice because it hits Grass-types and you'll want to U-turn against most things you'd need Scald for anyway. U-turn allows Pelipper to pivot in this teams threats and forms a nice pivoting core with AV Magearna, something we'll get to later. Roost gives Pelipper reliable recovery and while this could be replaced on such an offensive team you're able to 'cheat' out a lot of health against more passive Pokemon like Mega-Sableye, Chansey or Toxapex if you need that extra life while scald doesnt turn the tables as often. Last but not least Defog allows Pelipper to get rid of hazards if needed. Once the opponent sacks off their entry hazard setter is usually when this comes in handy as you dont want to go into a Defog war against Ferrothorn, Clef etc. but rather just use this in certain situations when it benefits you a lot like vs webs, multiple hazards or like I mentioned earlier if their hazard setter is dead.

imbibedbythesand (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Mega-Swampert is the single best partner for Pelipper as it is immune to Electric-type attacks and benefits from the rain Pelipper sets. Its monstrous attack allows it to hit hard in rain despite the lack of item or damage boosting ability. The EVs are pretty straightfoward as it has max ATK and Speed with an adamant nature to hit as fast as possible while being as fast as possible. Earthquake is the first STAB of choice for obvious reasons. Note that it is able to pressure Toxapex, a problem for any rain team. Waterfall is the second STAB and I picked it over Aqua Tail as it cannot miss and has a nice bonus of flinching the opponent. Since you are usually faster, this can come in handy at times. Ice Punch hits Grass- and Dragon-types for super effective damage. It is the best coverage move Mega-Swampert can run in one slot. Stealth Rock is needed on almost every competitive team in USM and Mega-Swampert is a good setter as it has phenomenal offensive pressure in rain and can set them up on an anticipated switch as well as against Pokemon it checks such as Electric-types.

leadmetotheland (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Draco Meteor

I want to win once I eliminate the water resists and Kingdra is the best way to accomplish that. Its insanely powerful as well as fast in rain and can also break on its own. The only mon that can contest its slot on rain is Ash-Greninja but as I mentioned before I value its ability to clean up very highly on this team. EVs allow Kingdra to hit as hard as possible while being as fast as possible. Surf is the main STAB and chosen over Scald as the difference in power is noticeable if boosted by Choice Specs as well as rain. Hydro Pump is the secondary STAB in case Surf just doesnt cut it and helps against bulkier Pokemon like Venusaur/Amoonguss. It also allows you to oneshot stuff that Surf cannot oneshot such as Clefable and Greninja after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Grass hits Gastrodon, a headache for any rain team. Gastrodon would otherwise be especially problematic for this rain team because there is nothing that even can switch into Gastrodon without risking a burn due to the lack of Ferrothorn (who doesnt mind getting burned as much as lets say Mega-Swampert). Draco Meteor is the secondary STAB and should be used against water resists.

takemebythehand (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Banded (z-move also works) Kartana is able to solve a lot of rain's issues. Besides being able to pressure Stall (especially well with Stealth Rock up) it is a great way to deal with the Ferrothorn problem. Since Ferrothorn doesnt want to take a banded Sacred Sword or even Knock Off because otherwise he will lose to your Swift Swim user you are able to play Kartana very aggresively and there really arent many counters to Choice Banded Kartana in the tier if Stealth Rock is up since even Zapdos gets 2hko'd by Choice Banded Knock Off after Stealth Rock. EVs allow Kartana to be as fast/strong as possible. Leaf Blade is the main STAB and needs no introduction. Smart Strike gets skipped sometimes on Kartana but is a must on Choice Band as it can hit Grass- Dragon- and Flying-types for crazy damage. Sacred Sword is needed to deal with Steel-Types such as Ferrothorn and Knock Off is a nice utility move that still hits like a truck.

thatyouunderstand (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Since our Steel-type is Kartana we need an additional switch for things like Tapu Lele. AV-Magearna is an insanely bulky pivot with a great matchup against offense. Together with Pelipper they form a pivoting core, able to bring in threats like Kingdra, Mega-Swampert and Kartana. The EVs make Magearna as specially bulky as possible. Iron Head is the only STAB on this set and can deal with the likes of Magearna and Lele. Focus Blast is chosen over Hidden Power Fire as rain will be up most of the time and Focus Blast is able to hit Steel Types such as Ferrothorn in rain. Ice Beam prevents Ground-types like Landorus-Therian and Zygarde from stopping its Volt Switch and can also chip Grass- and Dragon-types. Volt Switch is the most important move on this set as it enables Magearna to safely bring in its teammates.

thecrustofatanman (Mimikyu) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Last but not least Mimikyu got added to help revenge killing since I didnt want to dump momentum into a scarfer and rain is almost enough speed control on its own. Mimikyu also gives the team some sort of priority and has yet again, a great matchup against offense. It is also the Hawlucha check of the team which is absolutely needed since ladder loves to spam that Pokemon. EVs are maximizing Mimikyu's speed and attack as best as possible. Play rough is the first STAB and hits harder than Shadow Claw, but it can miss. Shadow Claw is Mimikyu's best ghost STAB which is quite hard to switch into at +2, even for Balance. Mimikyu is additionally good against Balance because its +2 z-move can break through some powerful defensive pokemon such as Clefable, Heatran, Celesteela etc. Shadow Sneak allows Mimikyu to end games once set up and gives this team its only priority. Swords Dance is essential for Mimikyu to function as its attack is pretty bad unless it set up.

Threatlist
This thing is able to check all physical attackers on this team and is relatively hard to break. Kingdra can force it out by threatening the OHKO with Hydro Pump while resisting Bullet Punch, but if Kingdra somehow dies you will lose unless Mega-Swampert can pull some magic.
Bulky Grasses are always annoying for rain but Tangrowth is the worst one in this case. Being bulky on both sides and Kingdra's lack of Ice Beam both contribute to Tangrowth being very annoying to deal with overall.
Same as Tangrowth but a bit less bulky on the physical side so it is easier to break through with Mega-Swampert and Kartana, however, it has access to Spore and Clear Smog which can both be more annoying for Mimikyu than whatever Tangrowth can do.
And of course Mega-Venusaur is also a pain but its reduced recovery in rain and overall lack of recovery allows Kingdra to power through it with Hydro Pump easier than the other grasses.

Ocean Man (Pelipper) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

leadmetotheland (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Draco Meteor

imbibedbythesand (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

takemebythehand (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

thatyouunderstand (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

thecrustofatanman (Mimikyu) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

It is highly recommended that you listen to this song when playing with 'Ocean Man'

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)