Project OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 87 - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/heatran:

Sorry for being late, the voting ends now! By its results, the winner of the Cycle 39 is Double Fire by Finchinator. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame soon. And let's move further!

Cycle Forty - Tapu Koko
:ss/tapu_koko:

Tapu Koko makes for a solid offensive pivot thanks to its huge Speed and access to both Volt Switch and U-turn. Powerful Electric Terrian-boosted Thinderbolt strongly helps it perform this role, not only forcing out notable defensive Pokemon like Toxapex, Slowbro, and Mandibuzz, but also in tandem with its Speed tier turning Tapu Koko into an effective tool versus frailer offensive structures. Tapu Koko usually runs either a more pivoting-oriented Heavy-Duty Boots set with U-turn or a much stronger Choice Specs set with Volt Switch. But we want to see more cool options for this Pokemon from you guys!

Banned Sets
:heavy-duty boots: | :choice specs:

The deadline is Saturday 9th of January. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
physical koko

1609849606211.png
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge

- Brave Bird
- U-turn

- Roost

this tapu koko set can act like a physical counterpart to the special-set, wild charge is the stab of choice and dent holes into anything which doesnt resist or is immune to this stab. brave bird can help versus bulky pokemon like buzzwole, latios, latias, and is a way to hit ground-type pokemon. furthermore it can hit rillaboom. u-turn switches tapu koko out of unfavorable matchups such as hippowdon, and is also a way to chip bulky pokemon like landorus-t and garchomp. leftovers and roost are there to increase its longevity, as with recoil-moves and taking rocky helmet-chip into account it gets worn down easily, so leftovers + roost are there to maximize its way of longevity.

Last edited:
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charge
- Discharge / Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt.
- Volt Switch / Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Chagre allows Koko to become a pretty brutal wallbreaker and pretty much instantly force in a ground or super sturdy resist. Life Orb is a nice all around damage boost. Roost allows it to heal off damage on the switches it forces. Volt Switch allows for some rotom-h style wallbreaking and chip. Dazzling Gleam can be used to chip down ground types. Discharge for me is personally preferred since you already hit pretty damn hard and the paralysis can generate setup opportunities. Thunderbolt is nice for just immediate power

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
:sm/tapu-koko:

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Eerie Impulse
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

This bulky tapu koko set is ideal for dealing with special sweepers like Spectrier or Magearna, Eerie Impulse is a move that is very underrated in my opinion, this move allows you to lower the Spa of Magearna Double Dancer or Spectrier Scarf / NP by 2 points, which leaves them very harmless. You can pivot with it easily and as I said you can withstand most special threats without much trouble. I like to accompany him with Landorus to be able to pivot with him easily and pressure most offensive threats.

:sm/tapu-koko:

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Eerie Impulse
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

This bulky tapu koko set is ideal for dealing with special sweepers like Spectrier or Magearna, Eerie Impulse is a move that is very underrated in my opinion, this move allows you to lower the Spa of Magearna Double Dancer or Spectrier Scarf / NP by 2 points, which leaves them very harmless. You can pivot with it easily and as I said you can withstand most special threats without much trouble. I like to accompany him with Landorus to be able to pivot with him easily and pressure most offensive threats.
Is it better to run HDB on such a set? In addition to blanking hazards, it also lets Koko bluff Specs, which admittedly isn't really that useful here since it's not an offensive Koko packing coverage to nail a typical answer or something.

Tapu Koko @ Air Balloon
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam​

Here funny stupid set ! Steal some sweep ?
Psych Up go well against calm-mind and rare iron defense users ( rare cause it's raining blows ! ) ...
Better to kill most bulk-up and DDance users, psych-up generally don't help against thems.
Can't check shiftG+CM magearna ; bulk up cinderace ; full-HP dragonite ; unaware CM clef and awfully CM Spectrier.
Speed repart for chomp'.
Think this set can niche in offensive teams with 1+ choiced users (that lose momentum).
Power Swap is cool too, but less effective than haze user or ditto.

Reserving dual screens Tapu koko

:Tapu Koko:
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

This set has been seen a lot on Hawlucha + Koko Hyper Offense, being used to great success. Being one of the fastest mons in the tier, koko is able to set both screens quite fast in a game and unlike eleki who gets volt switch blocked by grounds or has to explode to get momentum, koko is able to U-turn out into a pokemon like garchomp or magearna or hawlucha to abuse it's screens AND can do it multiple times in a game. Taunt also helps shut down opposing set up sweepers or defoggers. Surprised this wasn't done already but screens koko is a very good set for koko to be running in this current metagame

Last edited:
Defog Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog

General idea

The idea is to have a fast and offensive defogger with Electric Terrain support and ThunderGleam coverage. As a Defogger, Koko has an high Spe stat and the possibility to damage badly the target weak to ThunderGleam combination.
U-turn is picked over Volt Switch because many hazards setters are immune to Electric.

EVs (spread) and item
The EVs spreadis a basic special offensive one. HDB are picked in order to avoid being damaged by hazards.

Team(mates) support
This is "only" a support Tapu Koko, so it isn't able to get past some Grounds checks unless they are already severely damaged.
In return, this Tapu Koko grants Defog support, a fast U-turn and Electric Terrain support to Electric moves and immunity to sleep.

Last edited:
Reserving CM + Toxic (Honestly wasn't that good)

Switching to Choice Scarf

:ss/Tapu Koko:
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog / Toxic / Grass Knot

A pick mainly meant for HO teams, Scarf Koko can catch a lot of pokemon off guard with it's surprising speed stat of 591. It speed ties with Timid Scarf Spectrier, and outspeeds everything up to Adamant, +1 Dragapult.

Scarf Koko is an outstanding fast pivot, potential cleaner and revenge killer. All wrapped into one neat package. Most of time you will be clicking Volt Switch in the early/mid game. With the exception of revenge killing electric resistant threats or prediction.

Last slot can be any of Defog, Toxic or Grass Knot. Scarf Defog allows HO teams a method of fast, effective hazard control. Toxic lets you cripple pesky defensive checks like Hippo. Grass Knot gives you another option to hit ground types not named Garchomp.

Last edited:
Reserving Nature's Madness

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam / Roost
- U-turn / Taunt

Ever wanted to mess with that obvious Ground-type switchin just a little more than you wanted? Felt eternally walled by a Hippowdon or Excadrill? Well, if you ever want to deal with that, here's your solution. Nature's Madness allows Tapu Koko to heavily chip some of its best Ground-type checks unconditionally whilst also hurting some otherwise decent answers like Ferrothorn. The option to also throw up a Taunt makes this Tapu Koko an excellent stallbreaker, especially in a metagame without Gliscor, too.

Last edited:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Naive / Timid Nature
EVs: 132 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
- Work Up
- Wild Charge / Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird / Grass Knot
- Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam​

This Tapu Koko set can serve as a good win condition due the ability to set up late game with Work Up or lure in some Ground-types with Grass Knot in the early game; which helps itself to spam boosted Wild Charge or Thunderbolt later, or can help teammates like Heatran that dislikes a lot Ground-types.

The EV spread guarantees the OHKO on 252+ SpDef Swampert at +1 with Grass Knot, while also OHKOing 252/4 Hippowdon and 252/4 Gastrodon, which are known as very good check for Tapu Koko's common sets. This set differentiates from Specs or HDB because it can be threatening on both sides of spectrum, and it isn't that much prediction reliant due to being able to change moves and has a lot more power than HDB at cost of the ability of being a pivot.
As moves, you can go with a more phys oriented set, using 132 Atk with Wild Charge as STAB and Brave Bird to help dealing with Grass-types: +1 Life Orb Brave Bird can OHKO Amoonguss and deals up to 65% to RH Tangrowth, which can be huge if you are playing something like Rain to help Barraskewda; or you can go full special with 252 EV SpAtk with Thunderbolt, Grass Knot and Dazzling Gleam, which helps you dealing a lot of damage to Landorus-T and Garchomp, as both of them take neutral damage from Grass Knot; however, that set won't be able to deal consistently with Grass-types. The sad about this set is that it can't threaten Ferrothorn a lot, but it can weaken it with boosted Brave Birds, but Koko will end killing itself with that much recoil, meaning that you will need support to deal with Ferrothorn/Grass-types and some Ground-types depending on the set.

For that reason, partners that can take advantage of Grass-types like Heatran or Cinderace are good, the former can set-up rocks and poison Landorus-T and Garchomp with Toxic, and the latter is great for its pivoting abilities and can bring Tapu Koko against its own checks like Toxapex and Moltres with U-turn, giving more chances to Koko to scare them out and set up. Ice types like Kyurem are very good because they deal with Grass and Ground-types: Choice Specs Kyurem can break almost anything with its powerful STABs and coverage, giving Koko more freedom to spam boosted Electric moves late game. Also, hazard control can be useful if you are going with more phys-oriented moveset to avoid being worn down too much against teams with spike stack or toxic spikes.

+1 120 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 478-564 (113.8 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 120 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 380-447 (94 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 120 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 432-510 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 120 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 416-491 (116.5 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 120 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 220-259 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 247-292 (64.6 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 132 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 263-309 (65 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 419-494 (97.2 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 126-149 (35.7 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
How would it work if I wanted to post a set that also has work up in it, but I have reasons to believe that the set would be different, as work up is not the main point of the set?Do I wait for lando to post his set?

How would it work if I wanted to post a set that also has work up in it, but I have reasons to believe that the set would be different, as work up is not the main point of the set?Do I wait for lando to post his set?
I was expecting you to get a reply by now so I didn't respond earlier. Thankfully, the work up set has been posted now, so you should check to see if your set is different enough to justify posting.

Tapu Koko @ Electric Seed
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam/Taunt
- Stored Power/Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

I've been playing around with this set with the main idea being a set up set that baits in common ou checks like Ferrothorn and Blissey and set up on them without being threatened by anything they can do. The ev's are to survive being 2hko'd by earthquake from choice scarf lando-t. Taunt really makes it easier to set up and prevent toxic from breaking the set up but the prevalence of dark types in the tier makes dazzling gleam kind of useful. Bring it in on cb urshifu-s and profit.

Is it good? Probably better pokemon to use. But the surprise factor is fun.

Mario34

don't play the odds, play the man
is a Tiering Contributor
Chazm I had an idea for a Nature's Madness Koko set as well, but it is quite different from yours, shall I post it?

I was expecting you to get a reply by now so I didn't respond earlier. Thankfully, the work up set has been posted now, so you should check to see if your set is different enough to justify posting.
It was different, but it basically splits the difference between marenatha's set and landos, so i don't really see the point in posting it, better luck next round

I actually really like a bunch of the sets posted this week.

Vote goes to Dual Screens by Monky25. Really good on Lucha HO. Narrowly beats out Physical by Katy.

Eerie Impulse by Nalorium
because is both strong, underrated and effective.
The ability to cut in half the SpA of the opponen't thread is something really strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)