Pokémon Showdown Winter Gaming Olympics - Determining PS's next Gaming Champion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meicoo

cool quiz
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
POKÉMON SHOWDOWN WINTER GAMING OLYMPICS

Hey everybody! The can't-miss event formerly known as Ultimate Gaming Month has transformed, and is now known as the Winter Gaming Olympics, so it's time once again to determine this year's gaming champion. The winner earns the right to a custom avatar, steam keys, and more! The Winter Gaming Olympics (WGO) run from December 17th, beginning at 6PM EST, until January 6th.

Where do I compete?
Battle Dome – A text-based RPG, with weapons, classes, and magic galore!
Game Corner – Play games and bet responsibly. No coin case needed.
Mafia – A chat game about deception, intrigue, and strategy. Can you survive the night?
Scavengers – Participate in fun scavenger hunts or create some of your own!
Trivia – Learn something new every day!

How do I play?
Each room has a variety of games and events to participate in around the clock, all of which will be offering points on an overall leader-board! That's right, WGO is non-stop, 24/7 action, so all you have to do is pick some rooms and start playing!

Note that in the first three days of WGO, each room will be hosting a live, 30-60 minute workshop to offer players all the tips and pointers they'll need to succeed in the rooms. These workshops will be giving away big chunks of virtually free points to everyone who participates, so make sure to make it to as many of these workshops as you can!
Battle Dome: December 17th, at 8PM EST.
Mafia: December 18th, at 4PM EST.
Scavengers: December 18th, at 6PM EST.
Game Corner: December 18th, at 8PM EST.
Trivia: December 19th, at 5PM EST.

So, about those points you say I can earn...
There are two main ways to earn points in WGO. Firstly, each room offers a steady flow of regular games, all of which offer points to players. See more details on each room here: Point Guide!

Secondly, each room will also host big events that offer special rules, challenges, and best of all, way more points! To get the early scoop on these events, make sure to join the Gaming Olympics room on Pokémon Showdown, where the schedule and mechanics of each event will be described in advance.

Keep in mind, the best way to earn points in each room is different!

The best way to earn points in each room is different? How so?
Each room will host special events, but Battle Dome and Mafia will host the most of these, alternating between the two rooms to host a big event every day. However, playing smaller, unscheduled games for points will also happen regularly throughout the day in each room. Note that Battle Dome focuses on a completely different, dice and board-based game, compared to Mafia's game of calculation and deception, so try both out to see if you like one better, or to find out if you can't get enough of both.

Scavengers will host scheduled games every single hour on the hour all throughout WGO, so you always know when to be there for the start of the next game. Each game will offer three brand new, uniquely creative pieces of information to uncover or puzzles to solve, so the next triple challenge is always less than an hour away.

Trivia will also host scheduled games, with theirs being games of knowledge and speed, held daily at 4 AM, 8 AM, 12 PM, 4 PM, 8 PM, and midnight, in EST, for a total of six per day, and note that you can earn more points from these than regular games in other rooms. Trivia also offers one of their many different minigames at least 3 times throughout each day, so make sure you try each one, because they all offer a different kind of strategic challenge, not to mention lots of points.

Game Corner has the most total games, with several Pokémon-themed games played every hour. Not only will Game Corner host the most games, they'll also host the most total different kinds of games, with a never-ending variety including card games, chance games, guessing games, puzzle games, and more, so you'll be sure to find games to fall in love with.

You mentioned prizes earlier, so what can I win?
1st place receives the grand haul of: a $20 dollar amazon gift card, a selection of 3 steam keys/other games/programs out of this WGO Award Games/Programs List, a custom title on their Smogon account, and best of all...
a Pokémon Showdown custom avatar! As well as the above prizes, the winner may choose from each of the following four pre-designed avatars (which one would you choose?)...

1)
WGOSprite1.png
2)
WGOSprite2.png
3)
WGOSprite3.png
4)
WGOSprite4.png

Or they may choose a custom avatar they arrange themselves to have designed! Huge thanks to Lycanium Z for designing these four avatars, and note that Lycanium Z has offered to work with the winner to tweak one of the above 4 avatars if so desired!

2nd place receives: 2 steam keys from the provided list after 1st place has their pick, and a custom Smogon title.

3rd, 4th, and 5th place receive: 1 steam key from the provided list (selected in order of placing), as well as a custom Smogon title as well.

How do I get my prizes?
Once the event has ended, if you are in the top 5, message me on Smogon within a week of the end of the event! So long as you initially contact me within that first week (January 7th - January 13th), I will work with you to make sure you receive all the prizes you have won!

There are some simple rules to make sure you follow as well:
1. You need to follow Pokémon Showdown's Global Rules.
2. Following each rooms' rules is a requirement as well. (Don't worry, if you accidentally break any of these rules, room staff will step in to let you know and get you back on track.)
3. Attempts of any kind to cheat are very strictly not allowed. Breaking this rule will be a ban from all of WGO. Examples: losing on purpose to earn someone else points, sharing answers/information to those you aren't supposed to, etc.
4. Being banned from any 1 of the WGO rooms is a ban from all of WGO. You can appeal this, but no need to let things go that far, right?
5. Make sure to show good sportsmanship. The goal is for you and everybody else to have fun!

Thanks to CheeseMuffin (Moo on PS) and to Hirl123 (Hurl on PS) for being the main two folks helping me organize WGO!
Thanks are also in order for each individual room's organizers: Cleo for Battle Dome, ptoad for Game Corner, Snaquaza for Mafia, Alex for Scavengers, and SunGodVolcarona for Trivia, as well as their co-organizers: Hurl (again), Aelita, and Taistelu from Battle Dome; Elgino, Hightide Inkling, and Emboar02 from Game Corner; EeveelutionArmy, jumbowhales, and VigilanteVigoroth from Mafia; ashiemore, WhirlwindBulbasaur, and RossW from Scavengers; and MicktheSpud, Bimp, and Bunguin87 from Trivia.
Thanks as well to all the room staff who have worked hard on events and preparation for these five rooms that aren't mentioned here.
Special thanks to sirDonovan both for being the invaluable coder of WGO Bot, the bot that tracks each room's points and handles announcements, and for his other contributions to preparing for WGO!
Big thanks to LifeisDANK, for granting permission to post this thread.

And lastly, thanks to you, for participating in and enjoying the Winter Gaming Olympics!

Last edited:
Full disclosure: official statement on behalf of the Survivor moderation team on why we decided not to participate in the WGO (winter gamer olympics) this year:
gnomeT.png
gnomeT.pnggnomeT.pnggnomeT.png
Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen

I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa
Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

Rory Mercury

lacks composure
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For a room that pulled out y'all seem awfully attached to this. It's okay, we all make mistakes.

But we should probably stop the shitposting :v
k thx

Meicoo

cool quiz
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The Winter Gaming Olympics have now concluded!
Congratulations to our top five finishers: 3.14dgeot-Mega, WeepingDevil, Ilikebugs, Concuss, and Cheese5555 respectively! For you five, please contact me about prizes if you have not already!
See the full results here!
Thank you to everyone who helped contribute to the Winter Gaming Olympics, and thank you to everyone who participated! We hope you all had a fantastic time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)