Let's Play! Pokemon Emerald Nuzlocke

Should I be allowed to catch legendaries?

• Total voters
Hello, I'm checkeredkitten and I'm planning on doing an emerald nuzlocke, of course I will record one and youtube it at some point right now I'll do screen shots.

So Nuzlocke rules:
  • Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and will be boxed.
  • I can only catch the first pokemon I find in each route I will be going by species clause aswell(the route at briney's house and the flower shop will be pulled into separate routes).
  • I must nickname each pokemon I catch even if I'm not going to use it.
  • If my team blacks out that is the end of the nuzlocke and I will restart with a different starter.
  • If I encounter a pokemon and I have no pokeballs the encounter will not count.
  • I am not allowed to use items in battle (can only use berrys IF the pokemon is holding one in battle)
  • I am not allowed to flee from a battle.
So here is the question, which pokemon do I start with? You decide.

Treecko The Grass-Type Pokemon
Torchic The Fire-Type Pokemon
Mudkip The Water-Type Pokemon

First comment decides my pokemon.

I reckon you should be allowed to catch legendaries (within certain limits) for the following reasons:

- No using the Master Ball. Come on this is a Nuzlocke, it's not meant to be easy.
- You're only allowed one try at it, as per standard rules regarding no save/resetting.
- Even if you caught it, you might have two or three Pokemon faint in the process, so it's very much a calculated gamble that may not be worth it.

And a few rule clarifications:

How much level-grinding will there be? Is there a rule against that? If not Nuzlockes seems to be a test of patience more than anything.
On a related note, how often will you visit Pokemon centres? Again, there is a risk versus tedium trade-off if you go back there after every fight.
What are the rules regarding HM slaves? I could foresee an unwinnable scenario where you can't progress any further because you have caught a Pokemon in every available route and don't have anything that can learn a particular HM (though I haven't played the Gen III games so I don't know whether this could realistically happen).
What battle rules do you use? Are you playing by the "Opponent is about to use blah. Do you want to switch?" rules, or not?

I reckon you should be allowed to catch legendaries (within certain limits) for the following reasons:

- No using the Master Ball. Come on this is a Nuzlocke, it's not meant to be easy.
- You're only allowed one try at it, as per standard rules regarding no save/resetting.
- Even if you caught it, you might have two or three Pokemon faint in the process, so it's very much a calculated gamble that may not be worth it.

And a few rule clarifications:

How much level-grinding will there be? Is there a rule against that? If not Nuzlockes seems to be a test of patience more than anything.
On a related note, how often will you visit Pokemon centres? Again, there is a risk versus tedium trade-off if you go back there after every fight.
What are the rules regarding HM slaves? I could foresee an unwinnable scenario where you can't progress any further because you have caught a Pokemon in every available route and don't have anything that can learn a particular HM (though I haven't played the Gen III games so I don't know whether this could realistically happen).
What battle rules do you use? Are you playing by the "Opponent is about to use blah. Do you want to switch?" rules, or not?
This is my FIRST ever nuzlocke so its going to be easy for me so there is no limit for levels and centres and for HM slaves I'll only catch one IF and WHEN I need one and it'll be on shift

So its being tied between
and

Mudkip and Treecko

So if nobody else comments within the hour I will do a coin flip or ask a friend.

I asked a friend and she wanted me to go Mudkip due to him being able to handle 3 of the HM's (Waterfall, Surf and Dive)

So the winner is...

Mudkipz

Last edited:

So I justed booted up the emulator to play the game :D. And for those who want to know my settings that is them.

The frame will probably change frequently and as for the battle style it will become set when I become more confident about the nuzlocke.

And after 12 years of me playing pokemon no one remembers my gender.

But I am a girl as always (unless I prefer the male sprite over the females) and unfortunately my entire alias doesn't fit so I am now 'Checker'.

Now my adventure is finally starting, yet it isn't the prettiest place to start an adventure.

And the moving pokemon aren't brilliant movers (walking in a line with boxes isn't moving). But after setting my clock to a random time to shut my mum up and watching some of the TV I get sent off to meet my neighbours. How is it there are a lot of homeless guys in the first towns of every region. So anyways as I go up to meet the neighbours son I notice no one is there but a pokeball.

Now I don't know much about safety but it's not ideal to have the pokeball on the floor next to your bed. But as I reach out to pick the pokeball up a boy comes into the room around the same age as me. And starts asking if I have a pokemon and then says he needs to go and help his dad with research. I don't know much about research but sitting on the computer isn't much help.

Anyways as I leave the house I notice a small girl looking out into route 101. She seems to be worried about some shouting.

She says she can't go look because she has no pokemon yet asks me to go look for her when I have none either. But I guess I need to go help.

And all this screaming is from a professional pokemon researcher who is running from a Zigzagoon...but he tells me to grab a pokeball from his back and I know I will have to help him get rid of the zigzagoon.

So I pick the pokeball on the right which is calling my name, it's adorable...if you like slimey tadpole mutants.

My first battle is with a level 2 Zigzagoon. Come on I mean even a magikarp could get away from the raccoon pokemon, but it's my job to chase the zigzagoon away which was rather easy with 3 tackles. Afterwards the professor takes me to the lab and lets me keep the Mudkip.

Welcome to the team 'GimmeAlike' :) so now to go find Brendan on route 103.

Team so far:
GimmeAlike The Mudkip Level 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)