Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Environmental factors would presumably phase them out, yeah.

Changes happen and Braviaries stop having to migrate to Hisui. As such, Hisui Braviary slowly phase out until there's just normal Braviary.
Same applies to Basculin: environmental changes mean that Basculin don't have to migrate to Hisui for breeding season, which means less of them die, which means Basculegion phase out (well ignoring the fact that for gameplay purposes we'll probably never have to ko a bunch of basculin to cause one to evolve, but shhh lore time).
Stantler only evolve to Wyrdeer based on the environmental survival. For one reason or another, the Hisui environment gets less harsh, so evolution fades out. Stantler themselves also start phasing out. If you want to be cute you can look at the pokeradar as less a gameplay contrivance and more "these pokemon are still in the region, just very rare" in which case in-universe Stantlers themselves might be like endangered or something.

Same applies to Growlithe. I'm not sure why environmental factors cause it to hunt in pairs and have a rocky head, but a couple centuries of changes just phase it out.
someone I know came up with the headcanon that Stantler don't evolve in the contemporary Pokemon era because their Normal/Psychic-type niche was outcompeted by Girafarig in their native region, which is a fun idea to think about

Okay hold on.

So this game takes place a few hundred years prior to D/P. There are regional forms of Growlithe and Braviary, and Stantler gets an evolution. So where are these Pokémon in DPPt? Are they all extinct?
The Stantler line itself was hunted to near extinction, that much we know of. As for the others, the Growlithe is based on statues before they were mass produced (hence the horn falling off easily; shisa statues used to have horns but they kept breaking and people were tired of fixing them), the Stringfish that basculegion is based on is currently critically endangered. Braviary is something we probably need more info to nail sown definitively, but Lockstin actually had a couple ideas and goes further into their inspirations

3. Legends is pretty much like Let's Go in that it's mainline, but it's also doing its own thing at the same time, yeah. It's not replacing SwSh as the primary competitive format either.
Sounds like Sword/Shield should get a patch with the newer Pokemon then. Or I suppose older genreations that were left out once the remakes hit. If it is to remain the standard competitive game that would make a lot of sense to keep the momentum on it strong for another year or so.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Im not sure how close the thread is to being locked again, but just in case I wanna create one more discussion.

With the info we now have and your thoughts on the game's current state considered, what is your biggest lingering question about it, the one thing you'd like more info on the most? Personally I'm super curious to see what's happening to Amity Square and Pal Park as the BDSP map and other information that puts both their purposes firmly in the realm of redundancy are strongly suggesting they're both getting a makeover specifics on Mt. Coronet exploration, with how critical that was to DPPt's design and the prominent role it has had in marketing materials for this game I'm dying to see what they've done with it.

I'm definitely waiting for more info on the battle system. Are there trainer battles(how could there not be), how will it work in-depth, etc? I'm a pretty firm purchase, but that's the one lingering question that could really change my opinion.

Also, now that we have the possibility, I am really curious about the starter evos. I know it's unlikely, but until we see more...

Well considering that's definitely Cyrus's Great Grammy in the trailer, there's definitely going to be trainer battles of some sort I imagine. I'm not sure what else she'd be doing. But who knows, maybe you just throw hands with her.

Well considering that's definitely Cyrus's Great Grammy in the trailer, there's definitely going to be trainer battles of some sort I imagine. I'm not sure what else she'd be doing. But who knows, maybe you just throw hands with her.
Nah, I think that Cyllene is one of the good guys. Her bio clearly states that she cares about the player and is their biggest supporter. It would be weird for them to just establish that and then do a 180.

I think it would be really cool if the main antagonist is Cynthia's ancestor. It would be an epic role reversal from the originals: in DP, Cynthia was the good guy and Cyrus was the bad guy, but in PLA, Cynthia's ancestor is the bad guy and Cyllene is the good guy. Or maybe have Kamado be the twist villain? Possibly even Professor Laventon? (I've been wanting a villainous professor for AGES) Just don't make Cyllene the villain; that would be more obvious than Chairman Rose being the baddie in SWSH.

Just don't make Cyllene the villain; that would be more obvious than Chairman Rose being the baddie in SWSH.
That's why it'll be Cyllene. I love Pokemon but of the 3 I've played so far, all but 1 had Pixar level villains. You can immediately tell who it is from the beginning and I don't really think Cyllene will be different, but I'd love to be surprised, it'd be a really cool twist.

I think Cyllene will be on the up & up precisely because Cyrus was evil.
It sets up a cross-generational irony if his great (great great?) grandmother was completely on the up & up while Cyrus uses the company's legacy as a front to create a new world/erase the old one.

Something tells me when we see the actual villain of the game it will be one of those "oh they're really not subtle" moments.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It sets up a cross-generational irony if his great (great great?) grandmother was completely on the up & up while Cyrus uses the company's legacy as a front to create a new world/erase the old one.
Yeah this is probably gonna be it. I can imagine the anime doing a Legends tie-in where Dialga goes a fucky wucky to send Goh and Ash back in time and at one point Cyllene makes some speech about how the Galaxy Expedition Team has a bright future ahead of it while Ash just awkwardly tugs at his shirt

Yeah, this is why I want the main antagonist to be Cynthia's ancestor. Parallels like that are just chef's kiss

I can imagine the anime doing a Legends tie-in where Dialga goes a fucky wucky to send Goh and Ash back in time and at one point Cyllene makes some speech about how the Galaxy Expedition Team has a bright future ahead of it while Ash just awkwardly tugs at his shirt
Cyllene: "The Galaxy Expedition Team will be the greatest and most noble of all exploration teams! My descendants will certainly keep the good name of my team intact!"
Ash: looks into the camera like he's on The Office while the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays softly in the background

About the whole "are Wyrdeer and Basculegion evolving from normal Pokemon or Hisuian forms thing" my new theory is that Wyrdeer evolves from normal Stantler and Basculegion doesn't, which would explain how Basculin merged into a single form when it evolved.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I think it would be interesting to see if the native people of Hisui were also trainers. In USUM we had trainer fights with Kartana where the trainers didn't have Pokeballs, so I think its plausible.

Would be really interesting to see the villages having Golurks, as those were specifically made to protect villages in the past.

Unfortunately they may have no choice but to make someone from the Galaxy Team villains.
Otherwise we might run into a semi controversial issue.
The elephant in the room here is that this is based off of the Meiji restoration or Japan ended up colonizing Enzo and turning it into Hokkaido so at best we're going to have to get a Princess Mononoke situation

Unfortunately they may have no choice but to make someone from the Galaxy Team villains.
Otherwise we might run into a semi controversial issue.
The elephant in the room here is that this is based off of the Meiji restoration or Japan ended up colonizing Enzo and turning it into Hokkaido so at best we're going to have to get a Princess Mononoke situation
Nothing says they have no choice at all, especially since Japan's method of remembering the past is "Never bring up anything that makes us as a country look bad, ever". Especially in children's media.

Also, the real big thing is that, looking at the history of places like Unova and Kalos, nothing says that Sinnoh's History has to be 1:1 to Hokkaido.

If you're expecting a Pokemon game to get all cerebral over a real life event, I'm afraid that you are looking at the wrong franchise.

Last edited:
Nothing says they have no choice at all, especially since Japan's method of remembering the past is "Never bring up anything that makes us as a country look bad, ever". Especially in children's media.

Also, the real big thing is that, looking at the history of places like Unova and Kalos, nothing says that Sinnoh's History has to be 1:1 to Hokkaido.

If you're expecting a Pokemon game to get all cerebral over a real life event, I'm afraid that you are looking at the wrong franchise.
Not saying that they should go in on themselves but it seems like that's the route they're going to take since the team is named after the villainous organization from the main Diamond and Pearl games.
I feel like the tasteful way to do it is to take some inspiration from Princess Mononoke where the Galaxy Team ( Cyleene) is overstepping her reach albeit with good intentions but it slowly but surely upsets the deities of the region.
I think that would make for a pretty interesting conflict that doesn't seem too heavy-handed

the Golett & Golurk designs are the original
my brain isn't working today lol

Still, I think it would be really cool to see a Hisuian Golett/Golurk. Maybe the people of Hisui used a different energy source to power up their Goletts and Golurks, giving them a different secondary type?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)