Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Here's some potential hopium for ya: They have yet to show what the specific Pokemon selection actually is other than Drowzee, which based on my cursory knowledge of Go is a pretty common and generic Pokemon. Is that normal for these season thingies?
Scroll down on the site. Clicking Drowzee brings you right to it, they show like 7 pokemon for each enviornment

Big door huh? Have the regi had a fancy event in Go yet?
The original 3 have been around a while and were in a raid hour earlier this week (as were the gen 1 and gen 5 trios on different days, and... heatran), but this was all related to the end of season Hoopa event. This season is also leading up to a Johto event, so the tower in the image is Ecruteak it seems. The 'look to the past to determine the future' is what sounds most like PLA teases, but I guess we'll probably have to wait until TPC teases more before we find out about any tie ins to PoGo (unless they are planning on surprising us with another Meltan-like event).

So, as it appears, this game doesn't have abilities, or held items, and the stat system seems to be radically different.

Are we expecting this to function similar to Let's Go, where, once transferred to Home, the Pokemon's abilities with be displayed and their stats will be "normalized"? Also how would movepool updates work?

So, as it appears, this game doesn't have abilities, or held items, and the stat system seems to be radically different.

Are we expecting this to function similar to Let's Go, where, once transferred to Home, the Pokemon's abilities with be displayed and their stats will be "normalized"? Also how would movepool updates work?
Yeah, I'd assume all that. What would need to work about movepool updates?

Yeah, I'd assume all that. What would need to work about movepool updates?
I'm assuming they're referring to newly introduced moves like Kleavor's Stone Axe and potentially whatever Hisuian Zoroark did at the end of its reveal trailer. If that is the case, Home will probably update to include those new moves, just like with the new moves introduced/returning in the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra.

It's also not confirmed so far that pokemon from L:A (and BDSP for what matters) will be able to go to SwSh either.

It's "likely", but not necessarly true, the pokes may very well be only able to be transferred to gen 9 where these moves would exist.

But, it's all speculation. In reality we got absolutely 0 information on what will happen.

I've actually been stewing on a question related to abilities myself.

Specifically: How can Arceus command the spotlight in a game without Multitype?

From the moment it was coded, one of the main draws of Arceus has been its customizability. It can be any type the player wants because of its signature ability Multitype, provided the player has the right plate. Those plates were originally scattered around Sinnoh or the Underground, and they've been ubiquitous since (outside of Galar). On some level, they are even more fundamental than their master. We have had plates without Arceus before, never Arceus without plates.

The top billing of Arceus and the simultaneous removal of abilities makes for a conundrum.
  • Will Arceus be restricted to the Normal type in gameplay?
  • If so, will the plates not appear in Hisui? How else could PLA impose this restriction?
  • If not, how do we simulate Multitype in a world with no abilities? Could the plates act like Oricorio's nectars in this instance?
  • How will the base power of Judgment reflect the presence of a new forme-changing mechanic or absence thereof? Will it remain 100 for continuity with prior games? Will it see a buff to 120 because it is so tied up in Multitype and the plates?
  • On that note, will Judgment be learned before Lv. 100 in this game? Will Arceus even have a learnset, or will it be purely a boss monster? :eternatus-eternamax:
I'd personally like nothing more from this game than to marshal Jubilife under the gleaming auspices of an argent all-father (username relevant), so my spirits are going to be leaden if we cannot outfit Arceus with the Iron Plate that is both armor and gospel.

Last edited:

From the moment it was coded, one of the main draws of Arceus has been its customizability. It can be any type the player wants because of its signature ability Multitype, provided the player has the right plate. Those plates were originally scattered around Sinnoh or the Underground, and they've been ubiquitous since (outside of Galar). On some level, they are even more fundamental than their master. We have had plates without Arceus before, never Arceus without plates.

The top billing of Arceus and the simultaneous removal of abilities makes for a conundrum.
  • If so, will the plates not appear in Hisui? How else could PLA impose this restriction?
  • If not, how do we simulate Multitype in a world with no abilities? Could the plates act like Oricorio's nectars in this instance?
  • How will the base power of Judgment reflect the presence of a new forme-changing mechanic or absence thereof? Will it remain 100 for continuity with prior games? Will it see a buff to 120 because it is so tied up in Multitype and the plates?
  • On that note, will Judgment be learned before Lv. 100 in this game? Will Arceus even have a learnset, or will it be purely a boss monster? :eternatus-eternamax:
I'd personally like nothing more from this game than to marshal Jubilife under the gleaming auspices of an argent all-father (username relevant), so my spirits are going to be leaden if we cannot outfit Arceus with the Iron Plate that is both armor and gospel.
I'm guessing you will be able to use a plate on Arceus to chance it's type.
As simple as that.

My theory or rather wishful thinking on how all the Husuian Evolutionary Families will be used:

I'm guessing we might have 8 Noble Pokemon (akin to 8 Trials/8 Gyms) and we have the following number of new Fully evolved Hisuain Forms/Evolutions (based on leaks):
1. Wardeer
2. Basculegion
3. Kleavor
4. Ursaring Evo
5. Qwilfish Evo
6. Sneasel Evo
7. Braviary
8. Zoroark
9. Arcanine
10. Electrode
11. Lilligant4
12. Goodra
13. Avalugg
14. Decidueye
15. Typhlosion
16. Samurott

Numbers 1,2,3 are confirmed as Nobles. Let's assume we have 5 more Nobles it leaves us with 8 more 'unused' Pokemon. I doubt we will see starter Evos as Noble Pokemon which narrows down to 5. Which is a perfect number for 4 Trainer Aces/Nobles and 1 for the final Human Boss (I see either Zoroark or Goodra here). I'm hoping for 4 Grand Wardens (akin of Kahunas). Each can protect the Arceus Temple and you need to beat all 4 or all 4 Pokemon they look after.

It's if, of course, GF wants to give some spotlight to all new Regional variant families.
/ISPOILER]

I can imagine the plates will operate like the Griseous Orb* or Gracidea Flower and Arceus' different types can be treated like formes.

*Are held items even in the game?

I can imagine the plates will operate like the Griseous Orb* or Gracidea Flower and Arceus' different types can be treated like formes.

*Are held items even in the game?

I don't think so

I think Godwin's right and you'll just use the plate on Arceus as a form change item.

Who knows maybe it even works like megas in Let's Go: you just get a button to swap between them in battle based on which ones you have. The battle system is already so different, so why not

In-fiction the plates are supposed to be aspects of Arceus that split off from it, right? This could be set before that event. Otherwise I feel it'll be treated the same as Nectar, LGPE Megas etc

In-fiction the plates are supposed to be aspects of Arceus that split off from it, right?
Only in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, wherein the plates are weird coffin-shaped things that Arceus physically cannot afford to lose.
In the core series and every other depiction to my knowledge, the plates serve only to glorify Arceus and enable Multitype.

"When the universe was created, its shards became this Plate."
They're ostensibly manmade apart from this one line. Did the inscriptions come at a later date? Did Unown angels engrave them in the very beginning? Never mind. This isn't the place for a lore dive. Besides, I'm pretty sure the shards of the universe became the universe when the universe was created.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Loving the Wild Battle theme a lot. Really fits the vibe of ancient Sinnoh (or as I should say, Hisui) and puts its own spin on the original Sinnoh wild battle theme in a pretty nice way. It's super catchy and I love it, especially now that I get to hear it more clearly here.

I can't wait to hear this game's soundtrack in full. From what I've heard thus far it seems like we're gonna have a really great soundtrack from this.

Random speculation based on nothing:
We know that the Dex rewards you for lots of captures of certain mons(among other things). We know there's both in-battle and out-of-battle captures. And it looks like they almost expect you to casually stop to throw a ball whenever you see certain mons, like they barely slow you down when travelling. What if the initial capture of most mons is a standard "Fight-weaken-ball" setup, and then after that, the out-of-battle captures are much more likely?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)