Other Pokemon of the Week #5: Diggersby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altho diggersby is extremely powerful, it suffers from lots of weaknesses and bad defenses.
icwatudidtherelol

OT: Diggersby is great for applying offensive pressure, whichever set it runs really. Just a shame about its defenses. I haven't had much of a go at an S/D set but Agility can work nicely in certain situations. I still prefer a scarfed revenge set. In the right hands, this little guy can pack quite a punch on the predicted switch, that's for sure.

Has anyone found much use for Hammer Arm btw? Hits Ferro pretty hard I seem to recall. Is there really any situation where it's viable over something like Wild Charge?

The Choice Scarf set was originally thought to be the best set, but it's vulnerability to priority really hampers it. The Swords Dance set is amazing though, and needs to be tested by everyone,as it is the main reason why it was banned from UU.

Hint 1: The next POTW is a Pokemon that isn't in OU, but really deserves to be in OU instead of things like Donphan, Espeon, Blissey, and Galvantula.
Please dont start that here. I'm getting tired of talking and hearing about those things. They have their niches and are unrightfully hated on, so many people take affirmative action and use these pokes to prove people wrong hence why they have so much use.
Edit: I'll keep this here so that people will know what all the fuss was about there for a second.

Last edited:
Please dont start that here. I'm getting tired of talking and hearing about those things. They have their niches and are unrightfully hated on, so many people take affirmative action and use these pokes to prove people wrong hence why they have so much use.
Please don't start here? In my thread? They are obviously not unrightfully hated on, but I don't have to go into description on why they are bad, PM me if you really want to know. Also, please, many people find out that a Pokemon is bad so they use it to prove people wrong? That sounds like something a good player would do...

No, it's bad players who are using these mons to spite people like you. Sticky web is great, but Galvantula is bad. Unfortunately, it is the best sticky web user, therefore it has a niche. People read threads seeing people like you saying it is bad, having used Galvantula before to success, they know it isn't terrible and continue to make sticky web teams because they want to prove to people that Galvantula isn't bad. These are generally middle ladder players like myself. Heck, I probably play against 50% of the espeon users on Smogon. Dual screens espeon is really solid and has a niche. People make fun of it for being bad and people use it to show that it isn't bad. I personally use Donphan in the 1500's because I know for a fact that it is a better pokemon than anyone in these forums gives it credit for and I don't care about laddering, so I use it. This particular discussion has spanned multiple threads and doesn't need to span into another one regardless of if it is your thread or not. Unless you want about 20 people destroying this thread, don't mention it again.
Do you think you have the right to tell me not to mention something again? I'm not replying to any of your points, especially when most of them are ridiculous. I mean, you use a Pokemon because no one knows it's good therefore you use it to win, but then you don't win because you don't care about laddering? If you have anything else to say, save it for PM. This thread doesn't need people like you complaining in it. Do not post in here again unless it is constructive and helpful.

Okay. This isn't a thread for you to be discussing Donphan, Espeon, or Galvantula's viability. Take it to PM or discuss in the appropriate there. I will infract people if this goes on.

Edit: Do not post to say "Diggersby tho." You will also be infracted for this as well.

Last edited:
Something That I liked to try in OU, is to pair it with Staraptor, as they can nuke walls for the other. I don't think it'll be as double bird is right now, but double normal seems to have potential.

Edit: ok, I think that the best combo for those two would be a CB Staraptor and a SD Diggersby. Staraptor can use either U-turn to weaken you opponents flying resists, or use one of its awesomely high powered STAB moves to really cripple the few Pokemon that can reliably take Hits from Diggersby, knocking them into Diggersby's KO range. Staraptor's reliance on recoil moves also present the opportunity for raptor to kill itself and provide Diggersby the free switch it so desperately desires. The most obvious support for this duo would be a spinner to keep Raptor alive just a little bit longer, SR to knock key targets into OHKO range for Diggersby (notably Latios), and some form of pivot to provide the pair a chance to switch in, as they'll rely on their immunities as the only real way to switch in safely.

Last edited:
The scarf set makes an excellent lead. Not only do people rarely expect him to be sent out first, but also they can't attack him because you u turn out to a better Pokemon.

Really fantastic underrated threat.

I disagree, Diggersby certainly has a place up there with some of the better scarfers. Not the BEST, but I would never call him outclassed. You have to understand that he has the hardest-hitting U-Turn off a scarfer outside of Genesect. On top of that, he's got the raw power to compete with the best revenge killers of the Scarfers. An Adamant Diggersby Return does exactly the same amount as an Adamant Garchomp Outrage, which is pretty impressive.
So no, Diggersby is not "Outclassed" as a scarfer. Rather, he just fills the role as a raw damage scarfer.

uhhhhhhhh.... I'll just leave this here.....

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 280-330 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 414-488 (107.8 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Given that Ninjask has the speed of a scarfer and is faster then adamant scarfed diggersby whilst running adamant himself, I'm sorry to say that no, Diggersby does not have the strongest non-genesect fast u-turn.

It is also worth noting that ninjask actually beats out scarfsect if he doesn't have the download boost in u-turn strength.

Of course, scarf diggersby has other benefits that ninjask does not have, such as actually having other attacks worth using and not being *4 SR weak, but whatever.

More seriously tho, I still think that CB diggersby is a better revenge killer and scarf Mienshao and LO Tornado-T are better scouts.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't use Scarf Diggersby. While more powerful than its fellow Ground scarfers, Excadrill and Landorus-T, the other two Ground-types still have enough power to revenge kill what they need to, but can revenge kill more threats thanks to their better Speed, provide more utility with Rapid Spin and Intimidate, and have way more switch-in chances and a better defensive typing.

uhhhhhhhh.... I'll just leave this here.....

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 280-330 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 414-488 (107.8 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Given that Ninjask has the speed of a scarfer and is faster then adamant scarfed diggersby whilst running adamant himself, I'm sorry to say that no, Diggersby does not have the strongest non-genesect fast u-turn.

It is also worth noting that ninjask actually beats out scarfsect if he doesn't have the download boost in u-turn strength.

Of course, scarf diggersby has other benefits that ninjask does not have, such as actually having other attacks worth using and not being *4 SR weak, but whatever.

More seriously tho, I still think that CB diggersby is a better revenge killer and scarf Mienshao and LO Tornado-T are better scouts.
That's a hell of a stretch. Also, technically speaking Ninjask is not scarfed, and I specified Scarfers. If put on an even-item level, Diggersby is a bit stronger on the U-Turn.
Choice Scarf Diggersby DOES provide a "Best of both worlds" scenario, however. He does scouting very well, and he does Revenge Killing very well. (Also, CB Diggesby has an iffy role as a revenge killer. He loses speed, which makes him entirely reliant on Quick Attack, so reasonably fast Steel, Rock, and Ghost Types will walk all over him.)

That's a hell of a stretch. Also, technically speaking Ninjask is not scarfed, and I specified Scarfers. If put on an even-item level, Diggersby is a bit stronger on the U-Turn.
Choice Scarf Diggersby DOES provide a "Best of both worlds" scenario, however. He does scouting very well, and he does Revenge Killing very well. (Also, CB Diggesby has an iffy role as a revenge killer. He loses speed, which makes him entirely reliant on Quick Attack, so reasonably fast Steel, Rock, and Ghost Types will walk all over him.)
and yet he outspeeds adamant scarfed diggersby, which is huge. Here's Jolly scarfed diggersby.

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 254-300 (66.1 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's about a 10% drop in damage

Jolly scarfed diggersby happens to outspeed adamant banded ninjask by a mere 1 point, so while that is significant, I would not be calling that a "hell of a stretch" as they have very very similar speed tiers.

Obviously jolly banded ninjask outspeeds jolly scarfed diggersby, but unless you really want to outspeed some scarfers, there isn't much point (I'll take almost ohkoing the eon twins, thanks).

What a lot of poeple don't seem to realize is that overkill speed allows you to have the speed of a scarfer without an item, which is significant.

As for "best of both worlds" argument, I can't imagine to many relevant fast steel types, he outspeeds heatran which is enough for most of them. Scarf does allow him to revenge terrakion, which is nice, but besides that there aren't too many rock types diggs particularly fears either, outsped or otherwise. Scarfed or unscarfed, he does not care for ghosts, best case scenario is that you are shoehorned into wild charge, which is pretty predictable and lets the opponent get a free switch to his ground type or volt absorber of choice.

And yeah, as Alex said, exca and lando-T probably do that better anyway.

As for "best of both worlds" argument, I can't imagine to many relevant fast steel types, he outspeeds heatran which is enough for most of them. Scarf does allow him to revenge terrakion, which is nice, but besides that there aren't too many rock types diggs particularly fears either, outsped or otherwise. Scarfed or unscarfed, he does not care for ghosts, best case scenario is that you are shoehorned into wild charge, which is pretty predictable and lets the opponent get a free switch to his ground type or volt absorber of choice.

And yeah, as Alex said, exca and lando-T probably do that better anyway.
Wasn't Mega Lucario just banned for being a relevant fast steel type? Actually, the Scarf Diggersby set kicked his ass IIRC.
As I've said, Diggersby hits harder than either of those two, which IS significant. I'm not stating that Diggersby is the end-all scarfer like you think I am. I'm just saying the Scarf Diggersby is very viable in OU and does his job well.

I tend to run quick attack on the scarf set over wild charge just to get the drop on still faster threats. I know giving up wild charge is bad, but it hasn't really been a problem for me.

Wasn't Mega Lucario just banned for being a relevant fast steel type? Actually, the Scarf Diggersby set kicked his ass IIRC.
As I've said, Diggersby hits harder than either of those two, which IS significant. I'm not stating that Diggersby is the end-all scarfer like you think I am. I'm just saying the Scarf Diggersby is very viable in OU and does his job well.
Mega Lucario was banned before this thread was even posted IIRC, and is therefore no longer relevant. Also, vacuum wave means that even the mighty scarfed diggersby cannot revenge +2 special variants. Assuming that by "those 2" you mean excadrill and lando-t, it depends. Certainly on neutral hits, diggs hits harder, but lando-T boasts that wonderful edgequake coverage as well as knock off, making it more likely that he can nail something for SE damage. Excadrill actually has more than double Digg's base attack (pre huge power boost) as well as more speed, making it much more appealing as a revenge killer, despite the inferior secondary STAB. Diggs still has u-turn, which is a wonderful move on any scarfer, but exca is in a better speed tier, which can be significant.

Anyway, I never said that you were saying that diggersby is the end-all scarfer. I am merely pointing out flaws in your argument (such as strongest scarfed u-turn besides genesect) and bringing up other relevant scarfers that appear to fulfill a similar role to scarf diggersby and trying to find out what diggersby has over some of these other scarfers. That is all.

Hey guys, we're sorry to inform that there won't be a POTW this week because TRC. has been very busy lately. Look forward to the next Pokemon of the Week, which will be on March 9/10!

This thing is quite underrated in OU. It's ability to check many of the top threats in the Metagame is quite impressive, and it has a surprising amount of versatility between its three best sets. Tread cautiously around this one. And by the way...

Diggers buy thongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)