Post-SPL Set Dump - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
low effort post from a low effort user:

cm cosmic power z-air slash sigi (speed for rotom, max hp rest in defense / does 76 min to sneasel w/ +0 z-slash so you can cp and then ko it w/ rocks up, also just kinda annihilates any kind of fat)

turbo bd munchlax (EVs: 136 Atk / 148 Def / 220 Spe adamant, outspeeds base 30s punishes brolix and not much else but lalalalala memes)

nasty plot gk slowking (EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 132 SpA / 16 Spe, ko bro with gk at +2, win with insert physical attacker here, pair w/ hazard mons that can gettem up vs alt or a status absorber)

sd sceptile (EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe adamant, lol this thing still owns just bring spikes and a pkmn to pressure steelix / mayb one to lure sneasel)

metronome vikavolt (subroost was the idea, start throwin around bug buzzes and fuck up passive pkmn)

cm xatu (toxic resistant setup sweepers are the way that the meta should be going to punish a lot of more passive balances atm, cm xatus cool if you have a pkmn to punish sneasel, also ftr i think air slash + either gk or protect is optimal coverage, flying coverage is weary af)

modest specs typhlosion (he owns, you still nab 85s like croak and 85-100 is pretty barren atm, plus it gives you a chance to 2hko bro w/ eruption after rocks at 76% health which is neato)

yea as you can tell a lot of the stuff in my head was focusing on punishing fatter balances, which is the way that i see the meta rolling. clerics and status absorbers are more important than ever, but i still think the metas in a good place. its just different from oras in what youve gotta prep for and its not just certain mons anymore. probably will be my last post nu related post in a good while but if you have any questions or want a magnemite team find me on discord

oh wait forgot one more

AWWWW YESSSSSSSS SPECS MESPRIT

MOTHAFUCKIN SPECS MESPRIT CLICK PSYCHIC WATCH EVERYTHING DIE 2HKO STEELIX WITH ICE BEAM KINDA MON HELLLL YEAHHH

Last edited:
rozes is the best nu builder alive

TZUYU (Vivillon-Monsoon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 HP / 168 SpA / 4 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance

this spread saved me w1. i don't have a lot to say, it's standard vivillon but the spreads lets it leave ice shard from cb sneasel at 100%. rly great.

luxury (Altaria) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

i used this against ict in w4 i think, it's standard altaria with a twist: ice beam. it obviously helps a lot against opposing altaria, taking in consideration the fact that it was really popular in spl at that time so it was a great way to benefit from that trend.

ABR (Houndoom) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 200 HP / 112 SpA / 4 SpD / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Protect

shoutouts a big racist. idc what anyone says, this set is actually lit as fuck i just didn't know how to use it properly b/c i didn't use it enough (w2 vs eternally). it's very surprising and it works well against a lot of match-ups, and it was particularly cool to be able to scout emboar at that time, too. it also hits pretty fucking hard, even with lower investment in spa. the whole team i used that week was really wild, really.

+

vibes (Slowbro) @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

mi gyal (Rhydon) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 156 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Pursuit

this combo can be really cool against mons like scyther and delphox i.e. you can let yourself get u-turn'd by scyther and peacefully put rhydon in, while against delphox it's great to be able to trap it with don. surprise factor's dope too, made me win against zukushiku.

somi (Eelektross) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch
- Rest

set i used vs pohijs in whichever week it was. again, surprise factor is dope and it coulda worked a lot better if i made agressive plays but whatever. you can set up and beat things like slowbro / klinklang, fire punch burns and hits venu and the grasses. coils a dope tech, ig you can try drain punch > fire punch as well.

i suck at explaining stuff lol bye

Z+V

Banned deucer.
some fun stuff that we didn't get to use sadly

Mothim @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Energy Ball
- U-turn

credits to Bouff for that one. pretty much a baby yanmega, exploits stuff like slowbro easily. very good at baiting steelix so pairing it with a sweeper that appreciates a weakened steelix (klinklang, aromatisse, vivillon) is a good idea. needs a solid hazard control with it however.

Vivillon @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sleep Powder

something that we considered vs earth. pretty straightforward, a version of vivi that has a much easier time vs togedemaru, a mon that was used by earth previously. hp ground hits steelix decently hard too.

Huntail @ Normalium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge

fun sweeper. it setups on mons like sneasel or, before its ban, scarf boar locked on flare blitz in the same way as omastar. its main niche over omastar is the ability to beat scarf delphox thanks to sucker punch. it struggles a lot more vs slowbro however. you can't use water veil + double edge, which is unfortunate.

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Chatter
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

another powerful wallbreaker, thanks to 0Nl for this one. it has a decent speed tier and boomburst hits extremely hard (after rocks, you get the 2hko on steelix, maudino, spdef cryogonal). you can fit hp grass somewhere for rhydon too. pair it with pursuit support

Hitmonlee @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick
- Earthquake

solid sweeper, outspeeds the whole tier after a curse. blaze kick is for whimsicott and especially venusaur, it helps with stuff like rotom too. eq takes care of delphox, garbodor and toxicroak. it can't do anything as long as slowbro is alive so you pretty much need a solid lure with it (ours was grassium emboar).

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Bullet Punch

straightforward one. a version of sd croak that has a easier time with whimsicott and sneasel. struggles much more vs mons like delphox or rotom.

Bibarel @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Simple
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Liquidation

the best mon in the tier. pretty much a worse zangoose on paper, but it does have some useful fire and ice resists over it, which allows it to setup more easily on mons such as scarf delphox or scarf houndoom locked on fire blast and prevents sneasel from rking it with ice shard. hits hard enough after a sd to ko slowbro with return after rocks. a silk scarf boosted qa is enough to ko the likes of whimsicott and medicham after rocks. rotom is hard to deal with however and ajet is tough to fit. pairs perfectly with memento whimsicott.

Togedemaru @ Choice Band
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap
- U-turn
- Reversal

that one's pretty much a meme, but a very fun one. actually hits decently hard, and has a lot of switch opportunities thanks to its typing. it gets chipped easily because of the mons it usually switches on (whimsicott, vanilluxe) so reversal is a great way to surprise steelix. lightning rod is a good way to grab momentum from mons like specs heliolisk or vikavolt.

Last edited:
Got few things to share, but nothing too out of the ordinary, wasn't too creative in terms of sets this SPL.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect / Earthquake

Defensive Hariyama has some merit now, being able to wall Houndoom and SD Incineroar while also checking the likes of Vanilluxe and Sneasel. Toxic in general is really nice for crippling stuff like Slowbro/king and Whimsicott and puts some pressure with Protect. A more offensive spread with Earthquake can also be used for balance instead; something similar to this: 8 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Def / 208 SpD / 40, which lets Hariyama live a +2 Malicious Moonsault and having enough attack to OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake after rocks. Shoutouts for shiloh for the set itself, just made the EVs for the stall team I used.

Gourgeist-Super @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

This set is of only real use on stall, otherwise you don't want to dedicate your Z move slot to this. 16 SpA EVs give Geist a 50% chance to OHKO Xatu, which catching it is very nice playing stall. Too bad this thing got pinned against a Houndoom otherwise it would've done some work the game I used it in.

Virizion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Obviously nothing too different from the standard Virizion, but I planned on using this vs Pohjis just because it does some nice things Grassium Z doesn't like OHKOing Venusaur and Steelix at +2, while still netting the OHKO on Toxicroak. Bloom Doom still had merit for Slowbro, but I think this was a nice alternative.

Slowbro @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Never got a chance to use this outside of tests, but it's nice to have a move that cripples Venusaur, Virizion, and Whimsicott, especially helpful for pretty much preventing Z Celebrate Venu from sweeping. SpD EVs + Rindo let Slowbro survive Specs Venusaur Leaf Storm after rocks, so it's pretty much guaranteed to live an attack from any other grass. Toxic is too important to give up so I just traded coverage to Thunder Wave instead.

Incineroar @ Incinium Z
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Taunt

Though this is well known at this point, I messed with this idea post-Emboar meta just because the only thing that Incineroar really needs coverage for is Guzzlord, so I thought Taunt would be way more beneficial to take advantage of the passive Toxic users like Mega Audino or Altaria. Taunt on SD Incineroar pretty much tears up any stall or balance by itself and it's definitely the best last move it can run in the current metagame. Obviously it's better to run Intimidate now, but that wasn't available at the time. I prefer Jolly so Incineroar outspeeds Xatu and Scrafty.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
guess daddy clutchalos will leave a memento for the NU plebs who may gawke at the sight of his innovations

1520895004056.png

Top 3 used mons:
1. Sneasel 6
2. Steelix/Whimsicott/Slowbro 4
3. Rhydon/Virizion 3

There, I already made you my scouting report for the next tour, you're welcome. Onto the individual teams.

1520895523945.png

I knew foolcool would be the provider of zukus team, and if theres a mon flcl shunned in the seismitoad meta it was slowbro. He would usually resort to a combination of seismitoad and delphox to keep boar in check, so ended up building around this particular core. This game was superduper close and prob my favorite of the season cause i had to make that insane bulk up play to have a shot at winning.

slaves pick me (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Memento

:bigpig: (Emboar) @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up

youtube grind (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 36 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Toxic
- Shift Gear

1520896098063.png

Might have been one of my favorite teams cause it had some wackE stuff in mburst sassy rhydon, celebrate zar, rindo SD samurott and scarf memento memento gallade. The game went really well until that and that and that happened, so im kinda trying to block it from my memory >.<

earn yo stripes (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 21 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Metal Burst

gotti nigga (Charizard) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 32 HP / 216 SpA / 32 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hold Hands
- Roost

bills on me blue (Samurott) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

1520896485330.png

Had some decently innovative sets in this one like scarf hp poison virizion, CM Colbur Delphox and mixed dragonium z guzzlord. This was one of my worst preps because pohjis knows my shit too well at this point. Prob the worst guy to bring this virizion against lol. I really choked any chance i had of winning this game too by overpredicting for no reason with viriz and almost ultimately timing out making me misclick virizion on a moonblast.

cakey (Virizion) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 236 Atk / 136 SpA / 136 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Poison]

stick (Delphox) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 16 Def / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind

mascot (Guzzlord) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Outrage

1520896685086.png

Decided to bring some more memento goons again vs teddeh. unfortunately he completely overprepped for omastar so it was like i was up against a complete cteam and couldnt do any outplaying whatsoever. Went with groundium omastar because it does more vs the conventional bulky waters and had BP croaker to pop the whimsicotts he had been bringing paired with scarfdoom to pursuit trap delphoxes. Squad was also fairly weak to piloswine and whimsicott so i came up with a special lix spread that avoids the eq 2hko with tect and lefties.

tarzan (Steelix) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Protect

shelly (Omastar) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shell Smash

froggy (Toxicroak) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

1520897054822.png

Still cant believe Finchinator let me bring this shit. It just kept winning in tests but it looks so damn ugly with three ice types rofl. I made this team after compiling a "kushalos unset compendium" for my team as a meme and then ended up picking out some of the sets like AV Vanilluxe and scarf garbodor and building with them. Lax is p adept at cstyling, so i just busted out the most random shit i could come up with, sorry buddy ;s. Lax his silvally-steel was almost impossible to touch for my team, so i just tried to wear it down with vanilluxe as much as possible and go from there. The game was going well with us trading blows until the endgame where i almost fucked up really bad by misplaying with drudds tects. Still managed to win with some aid from a double tect(made me not rely on roll) but i made it kind of too exciting.

Vanilluxe @ Assault Vest
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Mirror Coat

Slowbro @ Psychium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Yawn
- Slack Off

Garbodor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

1520897443950.png

The team might look like a heater with three fighting types for a normal person, but for my standards this was one of the most boring teams i brought. Dont get me wrong, its effective as hell, but there was not a single tech involved to my own disappointment :/.
Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 64 Def / 188 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Medicham @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Virizion @ Grassium Z
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sucker Punch

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

1520898132277.png

After not having had any heater in the week before I decided it was time to bust out the zard again. this time coupled with eject bro and silvally. had sd rhydon over the suit one that everyone has been running to have a better mu vs a wild cm audino. This was a really fun game and elodin played well. It wouldve def turned out bad for me if he actually had flash fire on his typhlosion.

The last two weeks werent too interesting and im p tired so im gonna round up here.
Im glad i got to finish my first nu playing spl on a positive note with my record. Thanks Finchinator and the bigs for putting your faith in me even if i wasnt looking so hot at midseasons. Most of everyone id like to give my thanks to ADVANTAGE for the heat alola sandslash set. Thanks ADVANTAGE .

See you later space cowboys.

Last edited:
henlo uwu here is my oopsy woosy nu post uwu~ :33

Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash
- Quiver Dance

webs has, more or less, died off as a playstyle after the meloetta ban last year. this is a cool set however because it threatens balance cores, and more importantly the two most common forms of hazard control, being xatu and whimsicott. unfortunately it doesn't fare that well against cryogonal or the silvally forms, but on a playstyle like webs you should be able to pressure those two. quiver dance is nice because it makes it not hit like a bitch

Uxie @ Buginium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

used this vs cdumas in nu league. again this is just a set to threaten the common balance cores, mesprit can do this too but 80 is a speed tier where you dont wanna risk tying with anything - also outruns toxicroak which is good in some situations.

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Destiny Bond

this mon is sort of a relic, and the ubiquity of grasses doesnt help its case a lot, but spikestacking is super obnoxious for teams lacking shit like xatu, and destiny bond lets you trade for things like slowbro, guzzlord, what have you. poison jab is also an option over toxic spikes if you like baiting in whimsicott or whatever

Glaceon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Snow Cloak
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

kinda works similarly to vaporeon, just has way worse defensive typing, but i like this because fast ice types are just such a fucking pain to deal with. koing incineroar with hp fighting after a boost is a bit annoying because you need a bit of chip *after* rocks to do it assuming its the z set, but just outrunning common offense tropes like whmsicott and sneasel is nice as fuck

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Protect

i feel like i may have posted this before LOL but this mon is just annoying as fuck, if you manage to land a toxic on things like slowbro or whimsi, it just gives you a huge advantage because the combination of tox + tect is good as fuck at wearing things down. not much else to say here.

other ideas i had were but never really was satisfied with were np wish aromatisse, chesto rest aromatisse, specs butterfree, z fight yama with bulk up, sub petaya / salac endeavor whimsicott, and yawn emboar before it was banned. maybe some other things that im forgetting but w/e

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
i'd like to add some SPICE and pzazz to this thread. i'm posting my sets with full awareness that my team is still in contention just cuz i want to and feel like i have some pretty coolio stuff to share. firstly, i'm pretty cool with my 5-3 (could be 5-4 or 6-3) record right now, I guaranteed myself a positive record at least. this spl I did way better than my god awful snake and felt pretty proud of my teams for the most part (special garbodor LUL) and plays. i feel like i could've had a better record personally from some of my losses but you can't win em all and i sure as hell didn't play amazing in all of them. without further ado, he's a free scouting report to my 2 boys zuku and meeps who i could meet in finals:
peniss.PNG

Starting from the bottom..

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 36 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Stomping Tantrum
- Toxic
Aight so the first thing I brought to SPL was this bro set. My manager HANTSUKI (inspiration to a lot of teams) came up with this set and shit on me in a test with it. I decided that this could be a cool thing to surprise meeps with and it sure as hell did. Spacs bro tore through his team, killing every mon outside of slowbro in one hit. Ice beam for the resurgence of altaria and fire blast for klinklang/all the grass types. I still wanted defense to safely pivot into emboar and out. As for lycanroc, I needed a scarfer and a rocker to finish off my team and here we have it, one of the worst sets I've ever used. However, it worked p well and did its job of getting up rocks then toxic'ing meeps's bro so yeah.. No guard edge is dope too

RODMEN (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

thunder wave (Heliolisk) @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Focus Blast

minority complex (Zangoose) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Quick Attack
This team had a fair amount of cool stuff in store. At this point, I had a huge ass fear of heliolisk cuz its one of the hardest mons to switch into and incorporated a mid 2017 set that my good buddy Tangelo made. It counters helio 100% and other things like whims and easily switches into a specs sceptile leaf storm among other shit. Pretty solid set, only held back by being walled by xatu but that's why I had other stuff. This helio set was pretty cool, bluffing choiced items is easy for it cuz phox could very well be my z user. Fightinium catches the lix, don, miltank.. whatever. At this time, bdrum zangoose was pretty hyped. However, i always liked the immediate power from toxic boost zang and it clearly showed. did its job in removing the rocker that beat xatu 1v1 and from that point on it was smooth sailing in my game.

weak and fragile (Gallade) @ Buginium Z
EVs: 108 HP / 148 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- X-Scissor
On this team I didn't rly use anything out of the ordinary, I had ebelt boar and scarf brav to support gallade and a fat core of vally bro tortman. I knew kush was a huge fan of slowbros so I figured this set would work really nicely vs him. It almost did. I dumbly stayed in on his icicle crash from sneasel because it was a roll of like 90% in my favor when I didn't reaally need to risk it. But, I did ohko a bro and that was cool. X scissor>tpunch/leafblade/whatever else because it still kills xatus and can hit p much every mon with this coverage anyways.

time flyer (Aromatisse) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ground]

indie shooters (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
This was a nice idea preached by the kamisama himself. TR aroma + z guzzlord allow each other to support pretty well. Wiki berry for the longevity which played a huge role in my game vs ict and hp ground for delphox/lix/garb/whatever else ya feel. The next set is a pretty cool rotom set. I've shown a lot of sneasel weaknesses so I thought it would be a cool stop to it. It also helps a bit with heliolisk but i was stupid and didn't click it vs ict, throwing away all my momentum. Rest of team was curse lix, av bro, scarf boar, and z guzz normal stuff

sharpener (Sandslash-Alola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Spear
- Knock Off
This is a set that tennis recommended to me because it beats whimsicott, xatu, golbat, vivillon, cryo, among other things. It sure put in work vs evan and was a great success. Really cool, underrated set that can fit on builds that support it well. Mons like gastro, garbodor, rotom etc (which i used ofc). I paired it with malamar and standard scarf boar + those other sets. Really cool team, i'd use it in other tours if boar was in still.

if we SHINE (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

ether (Zangoose) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 132 HP / 184 Atk / 12 Def / 36 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
Oh boy, this set was a real mess for sure. This was another idea by col which i executed very poorly. Memento whims + pursuit rhydon + zangoose is an amazing concept but requires very good playing. I, obviously, did not play this the best though. I pursuited the wisping colbur rotom with rhydon and let whims take too much damage. If i just played whims safely, I easily chipped his entire team then could bring in zang for the late game sweep. I also had god awful z fightium special garbodor which just held my team back completely cuz it gave rotom free momentum. Overall, cool concept but bad execution is all I can say.

mr unknown cab fig (Hariyama) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 16 HP / 72 Atk / 152 Def / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
This is a set I talked about with rozes during snake cuz I wanted to use a tox tect spam team. Col helped me with the evs and such and it's honestly not that bad, i guess? It clearly couldn't carry me in the game because I got owned but that's cuz of other reasons. When prepping for my dude teddeh, I noticed sneasel was his fastest mon 90% of the time. So, like 3 other dudes (only pohjis succeeded), I brought z waterium but vs'd a ferroseed. I had some normal stuff like colbur fog rotom, curse lix, spdef venu, scarf doomers and such. There's no excuses for this game, teddeh outprepped completely and I fucked up big time.. o well teddeh's the goat so no real issues here.

dogmen (Houndoom) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 24 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
Ok so this was probably my hardest week to prep for.. I was at a building loss and had at least 10 different teams to use vs rodri. In the end, I decided to roll by using meeps's king rock cincinno idea from week 1 + paraspam. I had paraspam from bro, xatu, and druddigon. I added this xatu set as a secret nuke. Looking at my team, it's 100% scarf houndoom in everyone's eyes. People always leave vaporeon, bro, rhydon whatever on fire blasts or dark pulse then get jpwned. It also helps with stall because you can surprise the pyu and bait taunt, denting the stall cores. The xatu set was because the team was originally 6-0d by scrafty so I brought in some oras magic to solve that issue. Gknot so I don't lose to lix (or at least trade) and helps with rhydon, gleam for scrafty of course then yellow magic. This is the most fun I've ever had in pokemon. I felt like i achieved some zen mode in that game and just messed around and had fun. good shit after trusting my gut.
So yeah, so far this spl has been super enjoyable and I've had a ton of fun building and using weird stuff. Thanks to everyone who tests with me most notably Stan Soojung for taking my constant challenges heh. Again, this isn't a goodbye post tho ruiners are fucking out here and we will get the trophy thru grinding. Hope you guys enjoy these sets and use them sometime.
PS: cincinno % is 41% which isn't low at all so I don't think this was a "haxy" game at all and I don't regret relying on cincinno to pull through. Doom kinda cleaned too at low incine. Cheers

spl already ended for me while ago but i still wanted to post about my experience in this tier. after getting owned by zukushiku at week 9 and then trashed first by my nemesis lax and then hantsuki in nu league i feel i am out of steam and rather than trying hard i would want to just take a chill pill and just mess around. i also wanted to post before the upcoming NUPL so this is probably the time for it.

i want to thank Z+V for everything he did during this spl since he was behind all my teams i used during this tournament. i wouldn't have done this well without you and you know i appreciate all the work and effort you did for me. i wanted you to get at least one win and you did even though it wasn't in your main tier. also big thank you to Bouff and Sacri' for keeping the NU (and uu and ru, you guys are top-1) active all the time. i want to give a shout-out to karppi, rodriblutar, finchinator and flcl for tweaking stuff at some point. and finally thank you Kushalos for all the games and help during spl.

in all honesty, if it wasn't for z+v and rest of the gang most likely i would have used all week steelix+xatu+slowbro+grass+2 fillers every week and went from there. i was happy to mix stuff up and not be too predictable with builds. you can see from the picture below teams i used before spl and teams i used during 9 weeks of this tour.

teams pre spl.png
spl teams.png

Week 1 team & replay

for week 1 i played meeps and to me he is like an artist; he can bring basically anything from the most standard offense or balance to some ditto, hariyama and exeggutor team. i decided to go as standard as possible but with the exception of not having slowbro and not having steelix since i feared a lot of probopass trapping my lix and getting rocks removed. the team couldn't be anymore boring during the time seismitoad was in the tier.

the game itself didn't go well at all and i planned everything wrong. he did bring probopass as i expected but the rest of the team was paraspam with king's rock cinccino and the pressure got me and i didn't know how to play versus it correctly. my team didn't have a bad match up at all but game plan was completely wrong and i shouldn't have even kept my klang since he had defensive togedemaru, slowbro and a ditto to revenge sweep. meeps took the win and i started negative.

Week 2 team & replay

teddeh always (or nearly always) brings the same team type and i remember very clearly that the game plan even before any preparing was: scarf emboar locked into flare blitz and my omastar will sweep. the team was based around it and vikavolt was there to pressure defensive picks like slowbro and steelix even though i had energy ball just in case for seismitoad. emboar to break holes and two hit ko with expert belt his slowbros and golbats which he likes to use.

we both made one misplay during this game. mine was sacking vikavolt into sleep at turn 7 when i should have sacked hitmonlee since it wasn't sweeping at any point slowbro around. his per se wasn't a misplay since the game came to 50-50 with scarf sucker punch emboar vs my omastar after i shell smashed on turn 21 which i got correctly. there would have been a second 50-50 with it if he sacked whimsicott on turn 26 and not slowbro. after slowbro died, i had no reason to not hydro pump since my steelix + hitmonlee won after his slowbro died. having vikavolt alive instead of hitmonlee wouldn't have made the game come to 50-50 in the end.

when kushalos played teddeh week 4 i suggested him to use omastar which he did. unfortunately for my daddy teddeh brought the best omastar check in ferroseed. you can guess the result of that game. eternally used it too week 5 and same outcome. i personally told lax not to use it against him during week 9 and unfortunately for him the same story happened. teddeh definitely learnt something from our game. however, i do hope i will get at some point playing the best player right now in a bo3 setting even if most likely i would get blown away.

Week 3 team & replay

i wanted to bring one of the most hyped mons in the entire tier to make sure he won't beat me with his lame fat shit aka zangoose. i brought non-knock off because funny enough kushalos isn't big on ghost types so having return to destroy slowbro, golbat and other physical mons helped a lot. i still wasn't confident enough to go without a trapper so sneasel was there to secure removing a ghost which kushalos ended up bringing. whimsicott for memento and defog support and rest was the defensive backbone.

game itself went smoothly and it was guessing which of rotom. delphox and virizion (yes, it is kushalos so you have to assume this too) would be the scarfer, z-move user and whatever the last could be. virizion ended up being the scarfer and he did his homework with the hp poison since i used whimsi together 4 weeks in a row. straightforward game that i ended up winning.

Week 4 team & replay

this is still the most painful game during this season for me. in preparing i really wanted to use mesprit since it was unexplored and it has healing wish which paired incredibly well with the two fire types who take damage via flare blitz: emboar and incineroar. the original plan was to use mesprit + emboar with grassium solarbeam to nab slowbro and open a door for a hitmonlee sweep. we ended up with incineroar and the rest of the team were there to give a defensive back up. steelvally with also getting a rise at this point.

the match up itself was really nice and the first turns went as planned. i should have rocked on turn 3 for sure or maybe even on turn 4 but damage on the biggest threat to whimsi was nice and damage on zangoose would have helped everything later. then on turn 5 i miscalced the facade damage and i lost one of my best 'mons without getting rocks so pressuring his team came nearly impossible.

after this fuck up lax took full control and gave me my second loss of the season. after the game i felt so bad and crushed that i thought quitting (well, maybe playing) and i was given an extra week of rest and giving z+v shot to play. week 5 went how it went, i would have played if i didn't take this loss so badly but it was better for the future. i took my chill pill and came back to week 6.

Week 6 team & replay

back in business and this time versus my snake teammate eternally. just checking his visuals just confirmed that using the best bulky offense or balance is the way go but the biggest eye catcher was whimsicott and you can already guess what he brought versus me. the team i used had to have ice cream to break, palossand to get them up and to check medicham, toxicroak and other fighters which the team was rather weak to. this was another week where i didn't want to use slowbro + steelix so vaporeon was there to just wall everything. i was afraid of zangoose so i had mach punch scarf lee for it.

the match up was pretty much as expected and he didn't bring the biggest threat which was virizion. if i got rid of sneasel i would just wall his entire team with my defensive mons which were palossand, vaporeon and especially for whimsicott that steelvally. the ice cream got rid of sneasel and the rest of the game was making sure i wouldn't choke this win away. i didn't and this was my comeback time.

Week 7 team & replay

we CAN NOT lose to stall. this was our mantra all week since the wolfpack had rodriblutar on their team and he just got his stall win last week versus teddeh. earth was subbed in and i was wondering what kind of unmon earth and rozes would plan for us. the answer was rest, coil and two attacks eelektross and i guess kabutops with scarf is an unmon but not really compare to that eelektross.

we wanted a rocker that pressures all the defoggers (well, not articuno that well or wisp rotom) and piloswine does that job really well. never used specs typhlosion before and it seemed a nice pick which in the end it really wasn't since he brought slowking. slowbro is the best mon in the tier and steelvally was another great addition to the team. aromatisse was something we wanted to use for a long time and i opted between trick room (sweeping), heal bell (for stall since you can heal toxic vs miltank, pyuku etc.) and even wish for passing to steelvally since it can't heal. surprise scarf virizion was to clean which it did end up doing late game.

the game itself was enjoyable and probably the one i enjoyed the most. both had the tools to win via long game and i was happy that i was able to do that.

Week 8 team & replay

at this point my team classiest was out even though mathematically we had a very slim chance. however, i did want to win since the feeling is always amazing and who would want to lose. during preparation i noticed the similarity to eternally with whimsi spam but also favouring dark types. which is why i had hp fighting delphox to ohko opposing sneasel, two hit ko houndoom (with a good roll...) and two hit ko inci non-av after rocks.

silvally would do incredibly well in the actual game if i got rid of virizion. luckily for me i managed to catch him off-guard with gyro ball steelix on turn 15 and nabbed an important ko. on turn 12 i energy balled his steelix and didn't see his item so i expected for a while it was chople berry which is why i was scared i wouldn't be able to sweep late game with hp fighting. other options were iapapa and occa which he ended up being. on turn 18 many people were wondering why i defogged and why he gunk shotted but he was scarf garbodor and i assume he hoped he would surprise killing me without me defogging.

at this point delphox swept if i got rid of slowking. i managed to trap it with sneasel and hp fighting sweep looked very likely. it didn't end up happening since my sneasel cleaned in the end. i managed to win and secure my positive record. my team won first time during this season and the classiest won a series first time since SPL 2016 (SPL VII) semi-finals. tigers continued their downfall and missed playoffs while other teams got their hopes up with this result. so did our team.

Week 9 team & replay

at the point i played, my team was already out. i still tried my best to go for the 6-2 record. i wanted to use ice cream again since it had won all 7 games it appeared and it was the mon i used to beat flcl when i faced him in open quarter-finals. the team was basically the typical balance of the current meta without a water since hariyama, rotom and venusaur were good enough to cover lot of common threats. the rotom spread is to live sneasel's knock off from full. inci started to get more and more usage and week later it got intimidate so it got even better.

game didn't go as i hoped since i pretty much got destroyed. i made some bad plays looking the game again. the better player won and i ended how i started this spl.

overall experience was absolutely great. despite being mentally down few times i had a blast during spl playing NU (since we are in a NU thread). i haven't enjoyed a specific tier for a long time. even though all the lower tiers in SM/USUM are great i feel, NU just has some vibes that wants me to play it more and more. maybe it is the balance, the versatile, the 'mons that make the metagame or the players playing it. maybe all combining all of it.

i do understand if the metagame right now seems boring and lot of stuff i planned with z+v were something we weren't gonna use since especially sneasel was going to destroy all of them. shiftry, mothim, chatot, haunter, drifblim (we wanted to use hawlucha in nu, didn't get sd which was lame), monferno (well not the great monferno ig), carnivine and whatever fire mons we had in mind...this doesn't belong here though but this is just me blabbering.

well, i don't know how the future tours will go but i have enjoyed my time with this tier and hopefully NUPL will be another great experience. i hope to see you there

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
hey my nu help is no longer needed in spl, so i just wanna post this since ive been working on it since week 5 and just updating w/ every new week. for those who didnt know, i was helping the wolfpack nu slot this spl and made most of the teams used by earth and rodri. every week i usually tried my best to have 2-3 options for each of them in or at least have one build that they were happy with and that was tested a lot. usually these dumps are just the team that was used in the game, but i was overall pretty happy w/ the prep i put in and the teams i made so i decided to include the options that i had made during the week / what ended up being used at the end. i also already made a post on the teams from weeks 1/4 so i just cp'ed those from the discussion thread, with the addition of another team that for week 1. also sorry that this post is a bit long, originally was putting this together in parts, and it ended up being a lot longer than i imagined.

week 1 - vs snaga

the basic idea w/ this build was to go with either a strong flying type in order to take advantage of snagas low checks to them in his games from snake / open. the build is honestly pretty standard from there, a brolix defensive backbone to handle things like klinklang / emboar. mowtom aka best hazard control pre-drops in order to pressure all the rockers. sneasel + boar for the offensive presence, and ability to clean late game. (funnily enough teddeh 5/6 of these guys in his week 1 team as well). the spreads are fairly standard, curse lax bc the teams a bit brav weak, originally i had z hydro bro on here but earth was feeling a bit weak to mala so he made it bugz before the game. the viv spread is something i came up w/ when someone pointed out viv can be ev'd to live a few hits since you normally dont need that much spa anyway. this specific spread is to live both cb sneasels ice shard & scarf rotoms tbolt (at +1) so you can beat both of them. the teams a fairly standard take on balance pre-shifts, but i believe the team was fairly good and did what it needed to in the game.

this is the first build i came up w/ for the week when considering a viv build. the idea was that knock guzz was great at luring in things like null / other fat walls for viv to be able to clean late game. the evs here arent as polished. this build was fairly fun though, with things like roar silvally for goose. overall the reason we decided not to go with it was because it was just trying to do way to much with the few slots we had. there was a lot of pressure on audino mainly, and silvally being the only form of hazard control really sucked at times.

week 2 - vs eternally

now i cant claim any credit for this build, as that week i wasnt sure what direction to go with vs eternally, and the fact he knew / had access to just about every team i had made in the past ~6 months meant we couldnt try to recycle any old build either. ABR took the charge instead, and decided to grace us w/ his nu building for the week. he decided to build w/ subtox doom, a set that might seem puzzling at first, but if you try it out its actually amazing (still is in the current meta). i played with this build a lot in order to optimize it after abr was done building it, and wrote up a few notes for earth on how to play it / threats that the team faced. if you are planning on using a build similar to this / editing it for the current meta, it is worth a read and explains a lot of the sets / evs on the team.

week 3 - vs hootie

this is probably the week im most disapointed with in terms of prep, mainly because i didnt trust my gut when it came to what i expected hootie to bring and got punished hard because of that. this team was just an edit of something Eternally had passed me earlier in the week and it honestly wasnt optimized as well as it could have been. the lack of a z move (should have been on venu) and just overall polishing should have been done, but it was something i scrambled to put together last minute because i ended up not trusting the team i had been putting together all week (the one below this). however this loss did lead me to trust my gut on matchups more, and led to more solid teams for the next few weeks.

this was the team i originally came up to use against hootie, and it was a really fun offense build that would have easily beaten the type of teams hootie had been using (and the one he brought). this was the build that pursuit don first showed up on, as i really wanted it to pair with zangoose (though the first public showing of suit don was week 5). the idea behind this build was just go all out offensive w/ a bd goose build since hootie relied on a lot of passive mons like altaria to finish off his teams. memento whims was an obvious partner (s/o 49 for taking this core from the wolfpack chat >:[ ), with grass z since there was a leftover z move and it pressures slowbro / slowking easier. the next two mons were just a solid offense core i ended up really liking in ebelt boar + scarf phox as they manage to beat a lot of each others checks. rotom was the last mon for some hazard removal as there were 5 grounded mons, and it also gives you a way to pressure bro-lix. sitrus was added to check slowbro / slowking easier as that was the toughest mu for this team to face.

week 4 - vs ict

i had been wanting to build w/ sd kabu since seis rose since its a really potent sweeper w/ weak armor (think slightly worse barb). the rest of the team is based around supporting it, i originally started with the idea of wanting to use dug this week since you can do sludge dug + sd kabu for some fun, but it ended up deviating from that quite a bit bc having two frail "sweepers" esp w/ dug as the rocker wasnt working out in testing, so i played around w/ diff options like don / pilo until i realized lix was just the best fit here. dual status rotom is hot rn imo, being able to get the para off on things like whims / boar / emboar, which are things that usually come in once you reveal its wisp / hex is so nice for a kabu sweep late game w/o having to worry about offensive venu / whims beating you w/o a speed boost. alt bc its the best hazard control w/ mowtom gone imo, whims because i wanted a pivot into bulky waters that wasnt rotom, and scarf phox just as a fast cleaner. regarding set choices, growth chloro whims was bc i was scared of the sun mu and i didnt feel you really needed a diff move, so growth just worked best. originally had giga > eball, but the power diff is just huge esp when you wanna use it vs lix and co. ice beam alt for winning the alt wars that are becoming super common atm, tho flame is a fine choice for this team as well. overall this teams fairly solid and has a good matchup vs a majority of the meta imo, and had good odds to win in a tricky endgame vs ict as well.

week 5 - vs zukushiku

coming off of mids i was a little burnt off on building / wasnt sure what to use 100%, but i made this build near the end of mids. i wasnt 100% sold on it myself, but i really wanted to go with a pursuit don + eject bro build bc raiders were big fans of spamming stuff like scarf phox / rotom so being able to trap them was nifty. there was also the cool mechanic where eject button stops uturn, so if they brought scyther (i was expecting scarf), you can still get the damage off on it w/ don, preventing it from just spamming u-turn like it can vs most balance builds. this ended up pairing rlly well w/ specs accelgor, the slot itself was originally a vika @ the start, but i realized w/ the slow duo of don + bro you want the speed that accel offers + the spike support. ice was bc alt was hot back then, but hp psychic is also another good tech for croak. cryo was added for a spinner bc this build 100% needed a way to remove sr / spikes, + accel has spikes of its own so defog wasnt looking like a hot pick for this team. knocks actually really good bc you can knock null / lix and break through them w/ accel fairly easily. scarf venu bc i needed speed control + was a nice tech since nobody else had really been running it. scrafty rounded off the team as scarf venu does have the potential to lure whims + its a solid mon w/ shed skin to set up on brolix cores which were expected.

overall this was probably one of my favorite teams that i built this tour, and i used it a lot after to ladder as well so i would def give it a try. didnt really have any other ideas / teams built for this week, so thats all you guys get.

week 6 - vs teddeh

vs teddeh there were a few ideas floating around, but rodri right from the start wanted to stall him. he already had a build + it was doing amazing in tests so he decided to just roll w/ it and it did get the mu he wanted which was nice. im not including the import bc it was his build + im not 100% sure he wants me to be the one to post it so ill leave that up to him. however there were a few other ideas i had for ted since i didnt want him to just have stall be his only option in case he had a last minute change of heart.

this was one of the first ideas i had after looking @ teddehs teams. z ground vika was a fun tech Ban Manaphy showed me pre-season and i figured if there was anyone to bust it out vs it was going to be ted. the problem was i was never able to get a full build that i liked for it, as they all ended up having different weaknesses.

another options i came up w/ that week was this webs build that had some fun techs for most of teddehs normal stuff. if he decided to roll up w/ golbat fat again z rock scrafty under webs was a sick idea i had during snake, but never really built w/ it. z rock allows you to ohko whims at +1 so if you dd up w/ rocks up you can bust through it. also mauls golbat which was common removal for ted. the rest of the team is fairly standard webs stuff, scarf lisk is a fun tech ive been using on other builds as well just bc its in such a nice speed tier + volt switch for that momentum.

this was probably the first z celebrate + growth venu build, and i made it just for general use since i didnt think it would be that great vs ted just in case he did bring bat. this did have techs for that though, w/ 3 atks scyther + dual defog to support it. overall this is a really fun team imo, some solid volt turn w/ scyther + silv + rotom, and one of the best wincons in the tier in z celebrate venu. toxic pilo is also a fun mon to use since you can just tox bro on the switch in once and it has a hard time coming in again vs you.

week 7 - vs pohjis

this week i actually built quite a bit and ended up w/ 3 solid builds and i wasnt 100% sure which one to go with so i left the choice up to earthie :3. this is what he decided to run w/, and i think it was a cool idea in theory. coil eel was the focal point of this build. the idea was you pressure the hell out of bro lix cores as they have 0 way to touch you and you can just coil up into rest. ive been wanting to use eel for a while, and this was probably the best time i thought it would be able to be pulled off. fire punch was the coverage move of choice here, but honestly it can be quite a few things. i was toying w/ knock / drain / stalk during the week, and it really does just depend on the team / what you are expecting. in the end i told him to use fire punch on this vers as i didnt want to get overloaded vs a sd viriz as it was smth we had been weak to in previous weeks. this was my 6th? build that i built w/ eel so the mons kind of just fell in place as i was building. i also spent a lot of time trying to find the optimal croak that didnt lose vs palo + still pressure what it needed to. i originally thought z ice punch was going to be the way to go, then ghost z np before i finally settled on this one. the 44 spdef guarantees you live ep from 0 spa palo, modest means +2 z ghost kills slowbro + had good odds to ohko palo w/o having to boost. z fight vacuum may seem weird, but its the best way to still be able to pressure rhydon / steelix after having to give up focus blast.

the rest of the team was just support. this lass set was smth else ive been wanting to use for a while, the evs let it live pursuit -> tect -> burned suit from sneasel which lets you burn it + get up a layer which is dope. av king bc its hard as fuck to switch into, especially w/ spike support and dtail + future sight. lix bc good rocker, and scarf kabu may seem like an odd choice but it was def the best last for this team. there were 4 mons grounded + a serious lack of speed control, so having a solid scarfer that can remove if necessary w/o removing your own rocks + still pressure the entire unboosted meta is dope.

this was one of the other options i gave earth, and probably would have been the one i would have gone with if i was playing. the idea w/ this one was using an offensive garb set to get up spikes / tspikes + go in w/ sub whims / passimian / jellicent. sneasel + spikes is also really scary, and overall this team just function really well in terms of breaking down balance teams. this was prob one of my fav teams i built towards the later half of spl, as it was just so good at doing what it was supposed to do. sub end whims + spikes is also a dope concept bc you force a lot of switches @ first, and then people play around the endeavor or try to and end up losing 2-3 mons in the process. overall this teams really fun, and def smth i would give a shot to if you wanted to ladder / use some of these teams.

this was the final team and probably my least favorite out of them all, but that doesnt mean it was bad. this team was similar-ish to the first build, but without the spikes and the eel. it depended a lot more on croak basically being able to clean in a late game scenario, as there really was not a whole lot of offensive pressure. the whims set prob needs a bit of explaining, but i swr it works. metronome whims is dope bc you end up spamming moonblast a ton vs things like null / cryo / fat spdef mons that are forced to recover to keep checking whims. this lets you eventually just overpower them and win 1v1. tect was picked in the last slot bc it was a dope tech to mess w/ sneasel trying to get cheeky w/ knock or suit on the switch out of whims when they try to go for shard. honestly tect on an offensive mon is always dope and im not sure why ppl dont make use of it more, but w/e. this team prob could use a diff mon over xatu / cryo potentially as i went a bit overboard on the hazard control for this one more than likely. you prob do want smth more offensive to take advantage of the openings whims can break through, maybe smth like vanilluxe? honestly not sure but this team def had some fun techs and was worth consideration.

overall i built a lot more for this week, but i think it would be near impossible to go over all of them right now so ill just leave it at these three.

week 8 - vs kushalos

ok this is probably my all time favorite build from this spl, at least in terms of what was used. there were a lot of really nice techs in here that all just worked so well together in order to make this team really nice and easy to use. this was kind of a mish-mash of a bunch of ideas i was having at the time, so ill go over the sets really quickly. the cryo might seem a bit odd, but kush was spamming sneasel quite a bit @ the time, and this set just aimed at taking advantage of that. 180 spa guarantees hp fighting will ohko sneasel every time, and the hp + def guarantees you eat a cb knock off from full. this set is def a really viable option on cryo imo, bc a lot of times ppl pivot around it w/ sneasel expecting to take advantage of it, just to get ohkod in the process. sr don + bro is standard as fuck so im not really going to go over them, sd don was chosen mainly bc bu brav was a worry + sd don also still is great vs bulkier builds as well. celebrate venu bc its one of, if not the best sweeper in the tier (at least at this time), and it worked really well w/ hp fighting cryo removing cb shard as an option to revenge it. scarf passimian bc its just the best scarfer post boar, eq to help vs garb / croak if needed. the last mon went to incineroar (if you are using this team now make it intimidate), but this was a set i really wanted to try w/ emboar leaving in terms of pivot incin. i always thought av was bad bc you lacked recovery + got chipped way to easily w/ rocks + switching in a lot on special moves. this was the remedy i had for that in iapapa, as it uses the chip to your advantage. fire blast bc flare blitz doesnt do that much to lix + you dont want to be taking recoil all the time, knock off because removing items is optimal, u-turn because pivoting is nice, and will-o-wisp was the best last move imo, as you are not confined to use smth like fake out due to av, and it lets you burn stuff like rhydon that expect to just be able to sit on you.

now this was the other team i made in prep for kush, mainly bc rodri wasnt the biggest fan of the above build and wanted to see if maybe guzz would be able to get a better mu. after building it, i realized how shit this team turned out to be and honestly i dont even want to bother going over it bc it really was a bad choice / build. while it seems nice on paper w/ phatphox + guzz working well together, but it really doesnt get that much back from wish and this team kind of just gets steamrolled by standard toxic balance since nothing really wants to come in on slowbro that much. maybe this could be good w/ some edits, but till then there a reason i deleted it from my builder as soon as the week was over.

week 9 - vs the goomy

mono viable rby mons bc tin wanted to be the idiot NUnja!

semifinals - vs lax

going into playoffs i wasnt that happy w/ the stuff i was putting out bc i felt i was getting really stale w/ my building and my re-use of a lot of similar cores + reliance on certain sets / mons. starting w/ semis one big thing i wanted to keep an eye out for was the re-use of a rhydon / lix as 7/9 teams used in regular season had one or the other. i had been having a bit of fun w/ tort in testing and bc i knew lax had a fondness for heliolisk i considered it a smart pick. this was version 2 of the team, im putting the other version in hide tags bc i still feel it was a viable pick, but there were a few issues w/ it that rodri wasnt as comfortable with. the team itself is fairly standard, with a few of the mon choices needing a little explanation. tort spread is to comfortably take 3 hyper voices from specs heliolisk, and the moves are standard. scarf passimian bc its the best pivot scarf for balance builds that dont want to overindulge in hazard control / more speed control options. defog rotom bc you need a way to keep spikes off w/ a team this grounded. av slowbro was a something i really liked used after flcl / zuku started using it more and more in spl, as it gives you the physical bulk of a slowbro in order to check more fighting types (as opposed to slowking), but it keeps the offensive presence expected from slowking as well so there isnt as much of a trade as expected. sd incin acts as a solid wincon vs bulkier teams, and while im not a big fan of the mon golbat fit here bc you want a toxic sponge + a way to check incineroar. the spread is to outspeed 252+ incineroar + 3hko it with brave bird, and the rest kept in defense.

this is version 1, which shows a bit more into how i approached making this team. the two differences here are sneasel + gallade > incineroar + golbat. the team started w/ me wanting to use gallade since its a neat anti-balance mon and smth ive been a fan of in the past. cb sneasel made sense as it gives you a way to pressure balance / throw out knock offs like candy in order to remove items / weaken gallades checks.

this is a bu scrafty build bc rodri wanted to see if there could be a cool build w/ this due to lax's balance's usually having problems w/ it. the first partner i wanted to use it w/ was plume due to the fact you dont always get lucky shed skins, a reason to use it over venu, and it can take on whims + fighting types that threaten scrafty as well. plume isnt the best whims check alone, so the next mon i wanted was smth that can pivot in + threaten whims, which is where scarf phox comes in. while the meta has been fairly unkind to scarf phox w/ suit don + doom popping up a lot more, it still does have some nice role compression here and is a great mon to rely on for checking a lot of fast paced threats. xatu bc i wanted smth to prevent how passive scrafty is early game, rotom for backup hazard control + a way to apply status around. pilo was the rocker of choice bc it can threaten xatu early game w/o having to use scrafty + shard is able to threaten whims. overall this team isnt the best, and in testing i found whims was still quite a problem to overcome since it can come in on 0 attack scrafty fairly easily, and by the time you've surmounted it, its usually too late in the game for scrafty to clean up anyway.

finals - vs zukushiku

going into finals i think i was a lot more confident in the direction of builds i wanted to use since zuku had a fairly clear pattern of builds the past few weeks. after putting together his builds from the previous weeks and just testing against them, one of the biggest weaknesses i saw was the ability for venusaur to punch a lot of holes in his team due to his high usage of slowbro (5/5 previous 5 weeks), along with lots of steelix. grass z was the first set i kind of thought of when it comes to breaking walls, as z celebrate is a great cleaner but z grass is much nicer early game. scyther was something i wanted to pair it with, as it works so well since a lot of things that like to switch into scythers uturn are forced out by venu. when i asked rodri about the core, he said he wanted two forms of removal w/ it since scyther gets beaten by rocks so easily. rotom was the obvious first choice for me, as similar to venu it can also come in on a lot of scythers checks to force them out, as well as keep momentum up with volt switch to pivot into scyther / venu. toise was the next choice for hazard control, and at first when it dropped i was convinced it wouldnt be that great. however after testing it out the previous few days on a few other builds, i realized its a lot better than i had given it credit for, as w/ refresh you cant really be worn down by things like steelix / slowbro. these two basically covered every hazard setter in the tier really well, and almost guaranteed that rocks wouldnt be up on our side of the field. pilo was the rocker of choice here since i knew 100% i didnt want a rocker that loses to xatu, as that may be the only form of hazard control on their side of the field, and pilo does a great job at pressuring it. the final mon was the pivot incineroar i came up w/ week 8, with eq > wisp. the main reason for incineroar here, and the pick of eq, was that the team was fairly week to houndoom and incineroar from the opps side of the field, and incin is a great pivot for both of them, with eq meaning you dont have to u-turn out and can instead just kill them.

overall i was really happy w/ how this build turned out as it was winning almost every test game, and its ability to pivot around almost every team w/ rotom incin and scyther, with the tools to keep rocks and spikes away was amazing. the game itself also got a great matchup, as zuku couldnt really keep up with the constant pressure that rodri was able to apply.

this was an idea rodri had at the start of the week, with the idea being bulk up brav would potentially have a great matchup vs zukus normal teams. the fact that zuku had solely been using toxic tect steelix instead of curse or roar meant that it was actually set up fodder for brav, as with the evs it tanks a heavy slam behind a sub at +1. i wanted some form of cleric on this build, as you can mess up a lot with brav taking scalds / unwanted status and thats where this uxie came in. another trend from zuku had been the fact in his 9 games, he had brought 0 sneasel. i felt fairly confident in this uxie set bc of that, as it was a great pivot to get up rocks + heal bell came in clutch a lot in games since you can check a lot of stuff multiple times, and play cleric for cryo / gastro / brav, all of which are status sponges. mono knock is something i disliked in the past, but with this team covering fighting types fairly well i figured knock off would be fine, but i did dislike the yama matchup a little @ the end, so psychic / psyshock are fair choices there. cryo was the removal pick here, as i didnt really feel that confident w/ anything else. non freeze-dry was something 49 swore by and said that the power really made up for the loss of being able to threaten slowbro (you just toxic it anyway). gastro was a really nice fit for this team as you have a cleric in uxie + it is able to check things like croak / elecs / some fighting types on all its own. grass z venu was picked for the same reasons as it was on the other team, just something that i found broke a lot of zukus balance cores. scarf doom was the last mon bc i needed speed control, but also something that can deal with cm phox + rotom. this set was something else suggested by 49, as it checked cm phox a lot better. overall this team was fairly weak to quite a few things, mainly stemming from the lack of a normal or flying resist. overall it was really fun to build with and use bu brav tho so im still a fan of trying to get the build to work.

other teams

honestly this post is getting a bit long for my liking, and this is the part that i decided to include last. these are just other teams i came up with without any specific opp in mind, but still really liked how they turned out + had some fun ideas on them. i can explain these teams more if ppl are really interested in them (idk why), but in general were just teams w/ some fun ideas that may have been a bit out there for spl.

other sets

Gallade @ Buginium Z / Fightinium Z
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor / Psycho Cut

an idea i had when trying to see what else gallade has to offer. this is something that kind of stood out to me, tho i feel it would have been better in the earlier spl meta. w/ the current meta climate and a sharp decrease in scarf phox / rotom there isnt as much traction to this set as it cant really offer that much more than a normal sd gallade can. however if there is a rise in those two again, this set is def worth a look. sneak @ +2 has the chance to ohko both with rocks, and is a great way to catch ppl off guard. however gallade can just tank their hits instead and hit back with a diff move, but this is an option just to avoid taking the additional damage.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Refresh

this was a set i had in oras that i really liked towards the latter end of the meta, and i feel it still has a semi-niche in the current meta. being able to check incineroar mainly, but also being able to soft check slowbro is huge. refresh is also huge to remove toxics from switching into steelix / bro, and is just a great tool in general. tox + tect is also just really nice in general in just about every tier, and wrath is a great mon to do it with.

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Leech Life

came up w/ this one i think around week 5, when we had to play the raiders the first time around. bc i felt hail could be a cool pick. i wasnt a big fan of just running the flat out three attack set as it is fairly easy to switch around till hail ends, leaving slash w/ just one kill most of the time. sub was an option i considered bc it takes advantage of all of those switch ins fairly easily. ice z > bug z for the harder hit vs things like passimian, tho bug z can be used as well to get the straight ohko on bro (tho its never really needed). i shelved the idea then bc emboar was running around and it was to big of an issue for hail to overcome, but i think it does have potential in the current meta, even tho making a good hail team always eludes me.

honestly not that many other teams / sets to show off bc most of them ended up in spl one way or another so i dont really see the need to repost them here, and there are still a few i want to keep to myself.

conclusion
just want to end this w/ some quick shoutouts since this is the place for me to do that, though im going to keep it to nu shoutouts for the most part. thanks to tony / anti / abr for letting me into the wolfpack since before day 1 in order to help w/ the drafting, and letting me basically get who i wanted for nu and putting their confidence me week after week in terms of my building. shoutouts to earth / rodri for trusting my teams week after week, and bringing in all the wins. and also shoutouts to the ppl who helped me test just about every one of these teams eternally / disj / hootie / kay. couldnt have done it without you guys n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)