OU Post-SPL XII ORAS Sets Dump

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
With the last ORAS game of SPL XII having been played now, and with me really not wanting to wait until someone else posts a similar thread, I figured I'd post all the more or less cool stuff I used this season in here. First off, I want to thank all my opponents for some legitimately enjoyable games of Pokémon, I know this tier is getting a lot of flak recently but I really do think that ORAS is in its best state in ages. Tons of viable options, seemingly more viable Megas and regular Pokémon gaining niches than ever, and really no dull games (unless you count me bringing Stall vs BK but that's on me of course).

Without further ado, here are some of the sets I used, and unlike certain people scared (?) (lol) of showing their complete spreads you'll actually get the real deal here. Enjoy! ^_^ Hoping for others to share their cool stuff as well, I've seen so many Pokémon I want to read more about in this tournament!

Sweepers

:tyranitar-mega:
SEVERED FATE (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 76 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Pretty standard as far as Sweepers behind Screens go these days. One of Mega Tyranitar's biggest issues has always been not being able to OHKO bulky Pokémon and getting statused in return (Think Clefable, Rotom-Wash, Gastrodon with Toxic/Clear Smog/Counter, etc..), but Substitute turns all of those into setup fodder, especially if they don't expect it. Dragon Dance as they come in, Substitute on the TWave/Wisp, Dragon Dance as they fail to break your Sub behind screens, and suddenly they are staring down a +2 +2 75% Tyranitar behind a Sub and Screens. Gg. Jolly is probably better now just so you don't get revenge killed at +1 by rogue Brick Break Weavile/Tornadus-T.

:Charizard-mega-x:
DRAGON BLADE (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 184 HP / 148 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge

Pretty much the same concept as Mega Tyranitar (or Sub DD Altaria/Gyarados, which I didn't get to use but did make teams with). A lot harder to time since you kinda need to get both a Swords Dance and at least one Flame Charge, have less bulk, and are initially 4x weak to Rocks, but if you do it's pretty much over. One cool thing this does (and did in Tests a lot) is setting up as regular Charizard, especially if you know something can't touch you at all. Something like Ice Fang Gliscor, EP Heatran or LO Clefable turns from an annoyance into complete setup bait if you are patient with your Mega Evolution.

:barbaracle:
barbaracle team (Barbaracle) @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

Ok, so, this thing looks like insane dick, but I swear it's pretty decent! Probably better when the metagame revolved around Torn-T + Excadrill more so than now, but it still finds some setup opportunities and absolutely smashes most things that look like they'd be good against it (unless you know the set). The cool thing is that most of the Pokémon that actually do live a hit from this end up being pretty good MMeta checks, so it's easy to pave a way for him.

Some things you obliterate at +2: Mega Metagross (Razor Shell - 91% min, Superpower - 97% min), Physdef Rotom-W (Superpower 94% min), Physdef Tangrowth (X-Scissor 85% min), regular Slowbro (dies because it sucks), Keldeo (+1 Superpower still always kills, if they get the wise idea to lure the first SP)

Some things you don't quite kill but put into MMeta range: Physdef Garchomp, Physdef Skarmory, Physdef Mega Scizor, Mega Slowbro. All of these are taking upwards of 70% while heavily invested, easily putting them into range for Mega Metagross.

Unlike the other two Sweepers, Barbaracle doesn't really need or want screens. Its typing, vulnerability to Status, and suicidial tendencies via Life Orb mean that it's a lot more important to pick wisely what to set up on. Tornadus-Therian used to be my go-to, and I've swept entire teams by setting up on Vest Tornadus leads, but these kind of teams aren't super common right now. Maybe they'll be back in the future. One thing to note is that Barbaracle is also decently fast, easily outspeeding slower Scarfers such as Rotom formes, Excadrill, and Landorus-Therian, even while Adamant. Jolly just barely misses out on Keldeo and Latis, so even if you didn't need the Extra Power it's probably not worth it. Also, don't get catfished by Cross Chop, Superpower with its perfect accuracy and 20 more BP is far superior for something like this.

:zygarde:
FIRE OF SINAI (Zygarde) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 88 HP / 236 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Another Pokémon that probably looks quite terrible, given its subpar offensive movepool in Gen 6. Anything not on the Ground forces an Outrage, which is easily abusable by fairies, not to mention that 100 Attack doesn't exactly leave much of a mark on many things. That said, I had been working on HO with Mega Gyarados and Manaphy for a few weeks by the time I started preparing for Semifinals. The main issue I had found was the overbearing electric weakness something like Manaphy + Gyarados gives you, especially against Scarf Magnezone. It doesn't help that most Ground types on HO are leading (Landorus, Excadrill), meaning you'll probably not have much in the way of immunities left. Thundurus-T works, but it felt pretty clunky, not to mention that you now have two Pokémon sharing a SR weakness. I thought that Mega Gyarados in general was quite good against the teams Neider was bringing for most of the Tour, so I set out looking for something that could potentially solve the issue at hand.

After some searching in the PS teambuilder, Zygarde is what I came up with. While it's definitely not amazing offensively, it had everything I needed: an electric immunity, a threatening offensive presence if left alone, quite a few shared checks with Gyarados (Tangrowth, Clefable, even Slowbro with the Gyarados Set I had), as well as immense bulk to check stuff such as Bisharp. It ended up working way better than I had ever imagined in practice, but it's most definitely a pretty niche mon. I've also tested Weakness Policy over Lum, and it's super easy to activate given that stuff like Clefable Moonblast and Slowbro Ice Beam doesn't come close to killing you, but Outrage unfortunately makes Lum Berry pretty much a necessity. Also helps dealing with certain Status users such as Rotom, as few people seem to expect Substitute and Lum on the same Set. Like Barbaracle, it only fits on very specific builds, but I actually think it's pretty legitimate, even more so than Barbaracle. Really, if it had better STAB moves to use (even just Dragon Rush), it'd probably be well above average as far as Sweepers go. This thing is obviously pretty much completely unkillable behind screens, of course, but like Barbaracle it doesn't really need them, either.

:bisharp:
KONGO ZAOU (Bisharp) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 64 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Obviously nothing special about the moveset itself, but I figured I'd dedicate at least one part of this post to Bulky SD Bisharp, seeing how much I've been using it and how dangerous it is. I have never been a fan of Bisharp on Screens, mostly because Screens do very little for Bisharp. Most of the things that check you do so offensively, by straight up just killing you, and many of them will OHKO you even while screens are up. Keldeo, Lopunny, and Scarftar have absolutely no problem disposing of Bisharp with screens up, and the ubiquity of Brick Break does Bisharp no favors either, since damage is dealt after removing screens. Screens definitely aren't completely useless, easily allowing Bisharp to stay in on Pokémon such as Diancie and Gliscor with little risk (you're usually fine vs Gliscor anyway, but it sucks if they're faster than you), but I've always felt like they were... suboptimal as a way to Support Bisharp. Webs are definitely a lot more useful, in my opinion.

However, enter bulky SD Bisharp. Everyone knows the set similar to this one from that stupid Wish Killer team, and it's actually pretty good. The extra bulk allows Bisharp to live a LOT of hits, making it both easier to set up and easier to sweep, not to mention the luxury of having such a sick defensive typing on an offensive team, and on a Pokémon that's actually quite bulky to boot. Offensively checking Clef and actually switching into Weaviles STAB moves is something not many Pokémon do. Outplaying Sucker Punch becomes a nightmare when you recover 6% of your health every turn, too. My spread in particular lives Mega Diancie Earth Power, but I'm sure there's lots of different things you can do with your EV spread. I think going bulky is definitely the play, also as a better check to Latis (in Addition to the aforementioned Clefable and Weavile) , all of which can be quite annoying for HO teams. While I did say Bisharp doesn't need screens, this thing is an absolutely unkillable monster behind screens as well. Lum is an option, especially since you'll definitely be slower than Rotom, but Leftovers are seriously broken on this thing. In short, I think this Set is (currently) a lot better than the old 252 Speed Adamant Blackglasses Set, mostly because the extra bulk gives it more opportunities to actually sweep and be useful in Situations where it can't sweep. If you do want a faster Bisharp, I say go Jolly Life Orb, both for the stronger Iron Head and to actually reliably outspeed stuff such as Gliscor.

Entry Hazards

:chesnaught:
FALLEN GRIGORI (Chesnaught) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

This thing probably isn't very good anymore right now, but it served its purpose on my Week 1 team. The idea is that I wanted to use Medicham + Rotom-W, but this usually leads to pretty similar builds weak to pretty similar stuff. Excadrill is a given, seeing how Spikes in particular absolutely wreck Medicham (not to mention that it's a solid Clefable check), and there's very little reason not to use Tornadus-Therian when you already have Medi/Rotom/Excadrill going. Everyone knows how well Excadrill + Tornadus synergize together, and Voltturning around is obviously amazing with Medicham in the back. I ended up using Keldeo as my fifth member, for the dark resist and Weavile/Bisharp check, but was originally stumped about how to proceed. Historically, I've been pretty weak to Rotom-W, and this Team was definitely no exception at this point. After trying Breloom and being disappointed with it for the 16th time because it's absolutely terrible, my teammate marcop suggested Chesnaught for some cracked up reason.

I... actually really liked the idea after going through Chesnaughts assets. I had found Mega Lopunny to be quite annoying as well, and while this Set certainly doesn't counter Lopunny, Helmet chip means both Medicham and Rotom have a much easier time dealing with it. It also allows me to get Chip damage on stuff such as Metagross, and obviously have something to pivot into against Rotom. While getting burned sucks, that was always Chesnaught's purpose, so it's fine. Also turns out that Spikes are pretty good with Medicham!

I decided on a Super offensive spread and Set for multiple reasons. Firstly, like I said, Rotom-W was one of my Main targets for this. Outspeeding and doing enormous damage to Rotom is HUGE for this team. The speed also lets you outspeed Adamant Bisharp and Mega Scizor, making it actually pretty solid against both if Webs are not up. Helmet + Superpower easily puts Scizor into range for my Rotom. Secondly, Stone Edge is just awesome, especially with no one expecting it. My Turn 1 play usually was looking to lead Rotom-W into Tornadus-T and immediately crippling it with Scarf Thunder Wave to open up Medicham and Keldeo from the get-go. Chesnaught has good odds to OHKO Tornadus after SR, which is crucial, as I'd otherwise give them an opportunity to slow U-turn out, losing huge amounts of momentum. Also, I've sniped Volcarona and Pinsir trying to set up, which just feels amazing every time. I think this Set is the best it gets on that particular team (and probably for Chesnaught in general), and way superior to anything defensive.

:garchomp:
HAND OF GLORY (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Atk / 100 Def / 148 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Flamethrower

I think I posted a pretty similar Set last time, but with Toxic over Rock Tomb (which is still valid! I think we can all agree on the importance of a Rock move in this metagame, though). There's really not much to say: The EVs live Mega Diancie Moonblast, letting you lead into and kill it. Not always worth it, but definitely valuable in some matchups, especially if they're scared of random Scarf Chomp or something and just Switch. Also easily lives +2 Modest Lum or +1 Modest Orb Bug Buzz from Volcarona and OHKOs back. Rock Tomb also Hits Tornadus for pretty decent damage, especially since most of them can't really touch you (Hurricane does like a 30%). With Toxic, this thing usually ends up trading favorably with Rotom as well, which can be valuable for some teams. Obviously don't use this like Physically Defensive Garchomp, it still outspeeds Bisharp and I think lives any Sucker Punch it can throw at you except for maybe Adamant Life Orb, but you're definitely not going to be taking Ice Punch from Mega Metagross or anything like that.

:uxie:
GARDEN OF EDEN (Uxie) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Imprison
- Memento
- Thunder Wave

One of many HO leads, specifically designed to screw with other HO leads. Imprison shuts down Landorus, Mental Herb Twave -> Imprison shuts down Azelf unless Lum. Not much counterplay vs Diancie or Excadrill (although you either get SR or a free Switch against Drill while blocking theirs), but there's always going to be some give and take. I was fine making those sacrifices. You can use moves such as Yawn or U-turn, but I found Memento giving you immediate setup as well as blocking Rapid Spin to be the most useful for my Team. U-turn lets you do something against Serperior which is pretty nice, because you really do not want to Memento into Serperior. Really.

Pivots/Misc. Pokémon

:tornadus-therian:
SWIFTNESS (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane / Air Slash / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

I had the idea to use this after Luigi dismantled me with his Taunt Tornadus on rain. Obviously, people use Sets similar to this one in Gen 7, but I've never seen someone try to use it in ORAS. I don't think I need to explain why Taunt on something this fast is absolutely amazing, and the rest of the set should be self explanatory as well. Don't think it's only good against HO, though, Taunt + Helmet + Knock + Hurricane + U-turn absolutely dismantles slow teams, especially with Rocks against no Rocks. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised no one else has been using this, it's soooo damn good. Obviously, like with Garchomp, don't use it like the other Set and just Switch it into Specs Keldeo or Mega Alakazam all the time.

:bisharp:
LIGHT DEVOURER (Bisharp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 96 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Another take on bulky Bisharp, this time as a Pursuit Trapper. It follows the same idea my SD one does: Having a Pokémon with Bisharps typing and a lot of bulk is invaluable while checking Pokémon such as Clefable, Latis, and Weavile. My entire Week 8/9 team also happened to revolve around killing other Dark types so Latias wins, meaning you'd see me Pursuit Weavile and Scarf Tyranitar with this quite a lot, too. Not to mention the kick you get every time you Pursuit trap a Mega Metagross trying to avoid Sucker Punch... The EVs live +3 Modest Manaphy Surf after SR, letting you cripple it with Knock Off + Sucker Punch so it becomes easy pickings. While you don't usually actually kill Manaphy, this gets around all the items that ruin lots of other Manaphy checks, mostly Sitrus Berry and Quick Claw. You get rid of both of them, probably actually making this one of more reliable Manaphy checks out there, seeing how you only really lose to a crit.

:rotom-mow:
PESTILENCE (Rotom-Mow) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp

Then finally, we have this guy. If you've read my Chesnaught paragraph, then you probably know how paranoid I am about the washing machine, and how obsessed I am with finding offensive Rotom-W checks. This is one of them, easily coming into Volt Switch doing pitiful damage or Hydro Pump/Wisp to immediately threaten the OHKO with Leaf Storm. However, it does even more than that. Leaf Storm does a TON of damage to Manaphy, threatening to OHKO even Max HP variants after SR. This in turn means that you don't have to Volt Switch around like a fool for like 3 turns. Even behind Light Screen, Volt Switch + Leaf Storm puts Manaphy in range for pretty much everything ever. Leaf Storm also devastates Mega Gyarados, who is seeing a lot more usage currently. Another niche this has over Rotom-W is the fact that Gastrodon and Seismitoad can't block your Volt Switches. I mean, they can, but it's risky business, especially since Rotom tends to Trick rather early against those kind of teams. Amoonguss absorbing my Volt Switches was fine, seeing how I had Heatran and Alakazam to immediately punish it.

That said, you obviously lose some stuff as well. Having Leaf Storm means that the other Ground types - Gliscor, Excadrill, and Landorus - don't need to fear you nearly as much as they fear Rotom-W. It still does a LOT to offensive Excadrill and Landorus, but SpDef Drill and Gliscor shut you down pretty hard. Losing the Flying resist is probably the biggest thing. Rotom-C wants nothing to do with Tornadus, and you are not going to do well against Talonflame or Pinsir either compared to Rotom-W. You also gain a Bug weakness, meaning this thing is terrible at dealing with Landorus-T. Your resistance to Steel also goes from 4x to 2x which is more relevant than it probably sounds. Excadrill and Metagross do a LOT of damage to this thing. For those reasons, I'd only recommend this together with your own Landorus-T or something of that sort. Make sure to take into Account the ice resist turning into a weakness, as well, although this is definitely less significant considering how mediocre Rotom-W is at checking stuff like Weavile anyway. I think this thing has a pretty solid niche in the current metagame. The EVs live +2 Adamant Mega Pinsir after SR. Last move is up in the air, really. HP Fire 3 shots Ferrothorn which is one of your hardest counters just by typing, and pretty much OHKOs offensive Mega Scizor. HP Ice does a lot of damage to Gliscor, threatening to 2HKO most variants. Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp are pretty standard fillers. Honestly, I haven't had to click my 4th move with this yet, but I think HP Fire sounds the best on paper. It's all about the first 3 moves, though.

Tagging everyone who played at least one game of ORAS this SPL (according to the sheet). LET'S SEE THE HEAT Sjneider Luigi London Beats xray Dragon Claw Santu Gondra jonfilch BK Relous Corckscrew Eternal Spirit Isza z0mOG baddummy ElectricityCat Bushtush Frania steelskitty Chaitanya Vulpix03

Last edited:

Vulpix03

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RUPL Champion
OOOOH SHIT, time to let loose. I won't be participating in Stours or any other ORAS tours anytime soon, so I wanted to post a team dump since people think building in this meta is hard, and this thread is probably perfect for that. Hopefully you can find some inspiration. Click on the images for the pastes.

Disclaimer I did not use these in SPL, however they are all tried and true.

1617171256610.png
First up we got the Mega Absol + Cofag God Squad. These are two of my favorite pokemon in this meta and they work quite well together. Cofas t-spikes are great support for Suicune + Dnite. Mega Absol can bust through Fairies for Dnite as well. Rotom-mow checks Washtom and other waters. Could probably make it hp fire Rotom for Ferro. If so invest 4 evs in speed so you still outspeed Mega Zam. Speed on Dnite for Weavile at +1 and atk ensures the 2 hit ko on 176 def Clefable with +2 earthquake.

Screenshot (34).png
Houndoom is unironically really good atm, since scarf tar dropped off the face of the earth. This set in particular can just 6-0 some HO/BO teams. You usually don't need the fire move so i opted for substitute (shoutouts Amir for theorymonning it with me) witch allows you to sub up on mono fire Heatran as well as Ferro and Serp. Trick + Scarf Klefki is another tech on this team that works very well with Houndoom, as you can lock the fire type (usually volcarona) into a fire move which gives houndoom free set up.

Screenshot (40).png
This one i actually did use in SPL but i choked on dicks lol. Talon balance is a great meta pick rn, and the team has some other cool techs like Toxic + rest Suicune and Mega Latios. Pretty self explanatory team.

Screenshot (39).png
Terrakion is underrated rn imo. It hits like a truck and can check pokemon such as Manaphy and Volcarona. Paired it with with scarf Mowtom which checks water types and can bring Terrak in on pokemon such as Heatran, Ferro and Volc. 3 Atks Bro is the best Bro in the current meta imo, and acts as a glue. Encore Clefable is really nice atm as well as it fucks with your opp's set up.

Screenshot (38).png
Probably my favorite screens team to use rn, mainly cuz Absol good lol. This is just a variation of the Xray Diancie + Volc screens i've been spamming for the past two years, but with Mana > Crawdaunt and Absol > Diancie.

Screenshot (36).png
Mane Crawdaunt and Talon, 3 killers of offense. Top it off with some fat shit and you have the perfect team lol. This looks like some Mr Jamvad shit lol, it is quite nice though.

Screenshot (35).png
Lastly we have the Mega Pinsir God Squad. Scarf Lando is pretty good rn and i wanted to use Pinsir + Lando, as Lando can usually bring Pinsir in saftley vs Grass types. Added a banded Breloom to nuke the fat waters and give some more powerful priority to help against offense. One tech i have on this team is itemless Rotom. That is right, it is itemless for a reason. Basically the team loses af to the move knock off, especially from weavile. Itemless allows you to take 35% from banded weave, making you a pretty decent switch in. In most games rotom just gets its item knocked offed anyway so not having one to begin with ain't that big of a deal.

LOL after doing this I finally learned how to add those mini sprite things :vulpix: . Next time ig, as i'm definitely gunna dump some more teams in the future.

Last edited:

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Okay, time for me to post here :afrostar:
I really enjoyed playing ORAS in SPL this year, although I only got to play 4 games, it was a ton of fun and I ended up building a crazy amount of teams. Unlike Vulpix, I am not going to share these though and I am also not going to share the ideas that I did not reveal.
However, I want to show you some of the sets I used during the 4 weeks I played (+ some sets I put on the semis team I made for neider).
I ended up changing some of the sets slightly after using them, so don't be surprised if something is different compared to my actual games.

:altaria-mega:
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Yeah, this is the first thing. I am pretty sure I was the first to use it this season. What inspired me to put Substitute on it was seeing CBB's SubZardX in action. And honestly Sub has been putting in a tremendous amount of work in most of my testgames. Substitute basically allows you to set up on stuff that threatens you with status (rotom-w, tang etc.) more easily, while also avoiding Intimidates and other stuff. Overall a really nice set, especially with screens up and a nice antimeta-pick since most HOs struggle dealing with it themselves. You can possibly run more Bulk on it as well, but I kinda like outspeeding Weav at +1.

:latios:
Latios (M) @ Light Clay
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento

The idea of this Latios was to have a more offensive, unexpected screens user. It might not be as reliable as mons like Serp, but it gives nice setup opportunities with Memento without having to waste turns getting the threat in. The SpAtk EVs allow it to OHKO Thundurus, Weavile and MPinsir after Rocks (assuming Pinsir takes nomega rocks damage, so yea, it kills regardless).

:manaphy:
Manaphy @ Salac Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Not an entirely unknown set, but probably hasn't been used in ages. Max HP is essential in order to be able to deal with stall. Having Chansey not being able to break the Sub can be huge. Speed to outspeed MLop on +1, rest in SpAtk. Definitely a cool an underrated sweeper and in some situations much harder to play around compared to the usual Manaphies. Don't waste your item on Mana for something as unreliable as Quick Claw, the right item on Manaphy can be SO VALUABLE.

:latias:
Latias (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Safeguard
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Not too much to say about this one. The unusual things are probably the item and Safeguard. I used Safeguard on the team since it allowed many great setup-opportunities for Volca and MegaTar. Safeguard generally can be quite surprising and a game changer, but it obviously is less solid than TWave. Helmet because it did some nice things like putting MMeta/MLop 100% in range of some of my sweepers etc. I am of the opinion that Latias item choice can be kinda whatever and I am not the biggest fan of that colbur shit, the chip is always useful though.

:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 48 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 Def
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The godmoth can probably sweep almost any team with the right set. I am glad that this one worked out. I used Sitrus Berry since I was incredibly annoyed by Volca just dieing from Rocks, Sand and a Fake Out or whatever every game. Especially on a Sandteam having the 25% extra was always useful and being able to setup at 75% instead of 50% helps a ton at doing so. I used HP Ice for all the Chomps/Lando-Ts running around and it also was a nice backup for Gliscor. Fiery Dance can be used since you HP Ice the stuff you'd need more damage for with your fire move anyway and 50% for boost is epic. EV live Weav Knock after Rocks while also hitting the SpAtk jumppoint.

:clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Counter
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

I have used Counter Clef sets for a while already and I think on the right squad it can be a valuable additional check to several threats. jonfilch considered that set in a previous week too and thus reminded me of it. Counter was mainly for Gliscor since putting Ice Beam doesn't even come close to beating it. In addition to that, my team with Encore MZam, Worry Seed Ferro, HP Ice Torn-T etc. kinda forced Glis to spam attacks on +2, so it is not even that much of a gamble.

:alakazam-mega:
Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
EVs: 16 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

My favorite MZam set atm. Missing FBlast hella sucks and I just chip Tar and Tran with my other pokemon. Rly glad this set came in handy during my game. I think MZam generally is a nice mon to use vs Offense as well as balanced teams as it combines Power and Speed. It also was my initial switchin to mons such as Manaphy. If they think they can get the ez setup while screens are up, you can mess them up terribly that way. With the EVs it outspeeds Thundi-T premega. In some games you gotta pay close attention to time your mega well since if you don't get the mega up vs regular Thundi teams, you might end up losing.

:Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Of course, I also needed to mention what I consider probably the best mon in the tier. It is amazing how incredibly versatile Excadrill is. You can use the offensive LO Sandsweeper, Toxic Lefties Sand, SDef Moldbreaker, Mixed Moldbreaker... and many, many different moves. Here I wanna present to you the physical defensive variant, as it is probably the least expected one. It is insane how bulky this thing is. Speed EVs guarantee to outspeed MTar, Jolly Bish, most Tankchomps and lots of other stuff. Much HP isn't needed on Exca since it has a huge HP base. With the HP and Def investment this thing eats stuff like MMeta Hammer Arm with ease. What also was incredibly useful for the team I used is that it lives MSciz Superpower. This fact alone can honestly save your ass in a Webs MU.

:tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 120 SpA / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tang is a really cool mon. I used a spread that gives Tang some offensive presence in addition to its defense. Sleep Powder can simply take out a mon off the game for a while. The evs combined with Leafstorm let you punish the greedy turn 1 Rotom-W Wisp. Together with HP Ice you can also manage to take out Gliscor, if you do it smart. Brick Break is used to deal with Bisharp and Screens better. The EVs allow you to live MDia Moonblast after Rocks, the speed is used to outcreep other Tang which can actually be useful lol.

:slowbro:
Slowbro @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Slack Off

I hope that people don't actually think Bro is a shitmon simply cause of CBB hating on it. I think it can be quite nice. The Ebutton set makes sure it isn't useful in a meta this offensive and also deals well with anti-HO picks such as MLop and MMedi. It also allows you to bring in your own heavy hitters, which can be MMedi, Crawdaunt, Band Kyurem or whatever. Ice Beam makes sure you beat Glis, Toxic deals with water types.

:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Atk / 12 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragonite is definitely one of my favorite mons to use rn. It really benefits from all the clefless teams (which doesn't mean you can't break those with this). This set is sort of a mixture between an offensive and a defensive one, which ensures to being able to counter Serp, Volca etc successfully, while also being an interesting breaker. The EVs let you live Weav Knock after Rocks, let you live Specs Lati Draco from full, outspeed Weav on +1 and hit the jump point in attack.

There were some other "interesting" sets or spreads I used like bulky specs Volcanion or LO CM Knock Clefable, but didn't see as worthy enough to post. Shoutout to everyone in the oras community, especially CrashinBoomBang and Vulpix03 for posting their really interesting sets and ideas. I am thrilled to try some of them (and have also tried many of them lul).

See you guys next year :mehowth:

Last edited:
I didn't play, but I love ORAS, so here are a bunch of Sets I have enjoyed using in tournaments for the past 2 years

Good Time (Garchomp) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Protect / Toxic / Fire Blast / Roar / Dragon Tail / Rock Slide
- Toxic / Fire Blast / Roar / Dragon Tail / Rock Slide

I found myself wanting my Garchomps to live longer for two key reasons; one, with the absurd prominence of Excadrill, Chomp can't be getting worn down and unable to maintain SR. Two, ever since I started using cbb's idea of SpDef to live Diancie, I have come to really enjoy its defensive utility against Volcarona and Charizard-Y, the latter of which which is always paired with Exca. Hence, Leftovers. The natural extension of Leftovers is Protect, which works even better on Chomp since it's already a great user of Toxic. Scouting things like Keldeo and Latios is amazing as well. Of course, Chomp has a lot of useful moves, so ProTox is far from required (either or both). I particularly like Roar because a lot of Tankchomp teams really dislike Suicune and it helps quite a bit, especially with the SpDef investment. You'll often get to phaze it for free the first time around, as they'll be thinking they have a free Protect and you send them flying.

Hard Boiled (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- 2 of Calm Mind / Stealth Rock / Knock Off / Moonblast / Thunder Wave / Flamethrower / Encore / Healing Wish

Superb at wresting every bit of usefulness out of Clef by keeping your other Pokes healthy. It ensures Clef's usefulness extends beyond checking a threat or absorbing status in games where Clef will constantly be hitting the field but won't achieve much progress on its own. Tremendous option on SR and full support sets, but also easily fit on CM - either Clef threatens a sweep or keeps its teammates healthy. Bold and Calm both work.

Sixteen Horsepower (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 52 Def / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword / Focus Blast
- HP Grass / Focus Blast

Seriously. Becomes even harder to deal with for bulky teams. Torn doesn't like switching into it either. Focus cleanly drops Rotom from full. Of course, you have to be aware of what you're missing out on - really just 100s, who aren't tough to deal with elsewhere. It's well worth the effort. Outruns Excadrill. I personally like all 52 EVs in Defense to help against Bisharp / Weavile / Scizor, but they can also go in HP / SDef to help with Volc.

MyBoilingValentine (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 8 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Wave

Erz gave me a team with Sub 3 attack Volcanion, which is a great set, but I really like Sludge Wave in addition to HP Grass. The combination of the two makes it as difficult as possible to dick around against it with Clef + Water combinations that would otherwise be irritating.

Abundance (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

This shouldn't be your only Stealth Rocker, but ScarfLand's last move is kind of whatever a lot of the time, and this gives you a lot more flexibility in maintaining rocks, which is important given the prevalence of Excadrill. Especially helpful if your main SR Pokemon is getting pressured and can't get em up; ScarfLand can always find its way on the field and get the job done. Scarf SR is also delightful against Taunt/Imprison HO. Speed outruns MZam.

Cyclone (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- HP Ice
- U-turn / Heat Wave

SpA investment on Torn certainly exists - it's good practice to run 88 or 96 on HP Ice sets to actually threaten Gliscor. However, this is my favorite variant. I find Torn naturally bulky enough with just the AV; SR/Pursuit ensures it's not gonna be an unwavering wall to begin with, so you should have already have backups to the things it checks anyway. You'll still do your defensive job effectively, and the SpA investment lets you get a lot more out of Torn in return - it hits really, really hard, made even nastier by Knock Off removing Leftovers.

It puts a ton of pressure on Clef, one of the two most common Torn absorbers - it's easily overwhelmed. Rotom is at all not comfortable switching into it with SR up. Offensive resists like Diancie and even Metagross take a nasty chunk from it.

I really, really value HP Ice here - so utterly destroying Gliscor is so crucial. It also it allows Torn to hit Thundurus quite hard, making it more useful against HO. Of course, Heat Wave's coverage is big as well, especially with the investment, but I really don't like dropping Ice and suddenly having Gliscor manage to be a pain anyhow. So, sacrilegious as it is, if there were ever a Torn where I'd ditch U-turn, it's this one - max SpA loves the improved coverage, letting it play even more like an offensive Poke. I still prefer U-turn, but it is an option.

Nabokov (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm / Timid / Modest Nature
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock / Taunt / Toxic
- Protect / Earth Power / Taunt / Toxic

Roar Tran is very good and deserves more use on various Spikes teams. The best things about it are its ability to easily delay CM Clef even if it gets paralyzed, while completely flipping the matchup against Sub Volcarona, giving you security against a Subbed-up Serp, and completely ruining a SubCune that thinks it's got a freebie. Ensures Manaphy won't be setting up for free, either. Generally a useful move for its ability to rack up hazard damage, creating awkward situations for the opponent. Particularly nice when they have a Gliscor that would blank you, but you just keep Roaring them around. Good on both pure SpDef and faster utility sets.

Der Leuchtende Zam (Alakazam-Mega) @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The initial Speed pre-Mega sucks, but the power it gains is absolutely worth it, and it still outruns base 100s pre-Mega, so evolving isn't too difficult. Crushes bulky stuff and still outruns just about everything offensive post-Mega, which you now ensure you revenge kill more easily.

Glistening Core (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn

I am pleased to be vindicated. This set is like a combination of Garchomp and Lando - it checks Bisharp like the former, U-turns like the latter, and sets up SR against Excadrill like both, except unlike either it has much better longevity and isn't ruined by Toxic, and can check Torn and Diancie as well. Erz eventually saw the light. Great Poke.

Mulholland Dragon (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Inner Focus Multiscale
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Substitute

Utter beast of a sweeper most teams are thoroughly unprepared for. Don't think it needs screens - I personally loved this set on Klefki offense - though they obviously make this thing ridiculous and Serp is just a great Pokemon, so it's not like it's hard to add. +1 Earthquake into +3 Earthquake destroys even Bold Clef.

Last edited:

Glistening Core (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn

I am pleased to be vindicated. This set is like a combination of Garchomp and Lando - it checks Bisharp like the former, U-turns like the latter, and sets up SR against Excadrill like both, except unlike either it has much better longevity and isn't ruined by Toxic, and can check Torn and Diancie as well. Erz eventually saw the light. Great Poke.
Just happened to fit on a single team don't get too excited old man. But it's better than what my pms from 5 months ago imply, props to you (^_^)

For anyone trying to use, essentially your Gliscor turns into Landorus-T that is worse against physical threats not named bisharp while gaining the ability to counter some special attackers and pivots long term which can prove invaluable. The single biggest downside is that your Gliscor is now cm flame clef set-up fodder. A slot normally designed to counter and abuse said set suddenly turning into set-up fodder places huge stress on your remaining team, essentially forcing you to run a counter that isn't gliscor while also having to fit on the general archetype this set needs. Pairing w tran doesn't make any sense because you're much better off putting rocks on tran and using Gliscor as SD wincon. However I personally wound up using this glue-glisc on a team with talonflame, one of the only mons that can hold it's own vs cm clef long term. Glueglisc is a pretty fitting name considering it acts as a glue to hold together a team and to enable one's wincons by roosting and pivoting, while providing status absorb and rocks. As long as you're aware of what this set can and cannot do you can use it to good success. It's pretty straight-forward too and some might know a similar set from SM, give it a try!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)