Pressure stall (corvi,zapdos,kyurem core)

INTRODUCTION
Somewhere after the bans of cinderace and magearna, an idea for a team dropped into my head. What if I took several defensive pokemon with pressure and put them together in a pressure core that can stall out pp of the opposing team, and then capitalise on opposing mons losing pp for important moves which made them able to answer my mons to take full control of the game. I didn't build such a team at that time because I didn't really play a lot then and didn't have the time to, but I have lately been seeing such teams pop up in some OU tournaments and decided to give it a go.

This RMT is not meant to be about a finished team with all of its edges ironed out, but will focus more on two things: the general proof of concept for stall teams based around pressure cores, and an exercise in writing RMT's that might serve to highlight all of the steps that go into writing a detailed RMT, that maybe some newer members can use to see which information is good to provide to raters so they can give informed advice on how to improve the team.

GENERAL IDEA
Even though I kinda said it already, the general idea of this team is to make a stall team that focuses on wearing down the opponent, but while more conventional stall teams tend to wear down the opposing mons' health, the aim here is to wear down their pp until they are unable to offensively pressure my team and then slowly take them down. Stating what playstyle of the team is more to give a general idea of the way the team is supposed to be played to the raters, so they have a general idea of what to suggest.

BUILDING PROCESS
Even though people usually write these one by one, I'll list the first three together as I decided to use them at the same time. Corviknight, zapdos, and kyurem are the pressure users with the best defensive potential in the tier, and the core of the team.
:corviknight::zapdos::kyurem:

Next I wanted to increase the other team members longevity by healing their status effects, while also warding off a very common threat to stall teams that is heatran. For these things I added dragonite.
:corviknight::zapdos::kyurem::dragonite:

Next I wanted to add a sturdy special wall that can dissuade special attackers and setup sweepers, as well as a rocks setter, so I went for blissey.
:corviknight::zapdos::kyurem::dragonite::blissey:

At this point I realised that I wanted an electric immunity to protect corviknight. However I also realised that no speed control+two dragons in the team makes my team quite dragapult weak. I also wanted to add a knock off user to the team to help with wearing down opponents with rocks. zeraora fills all of those roles.
:corviknight::zapdos::kyurem::dragonite::blissey::zeraora:

SETS

:ss/corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird

In the beginning I wasn't sure whether to make zapdos or corviknight my defogger, but since I wanted to really use pressure to its fullest, that meant using substitutes and roost, and I felt that with that zapdos had more room to defog. So corviknight got the bulk up set because it helps him stop a lot of dangerous physical sweepers in their tracks. Simply put, corvi has absolutely amazed me with its performance. It can wall more than half the physical metagame by itself, and even helps with checking some special attackers(most notably specs lele). For the EV spread I went for a defog spread slapped onto a bulk up set, as I already had other specially defensive pokemon and wanted to make corvi better able to take on physical attackers. If the opponent cannot stop it before it sets up, it can even exert offensive pressure.

:ss/zapdos:
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Roost
- Discharge
- Defog

My other pressure bird, zapdos fulfills the important role of defogger on the team, as a lot of my other teammembers are quite rocks weak. Even though corviknight takes less damage from rocks naturally, I decided to make zapdos the defogger as it can fit substitute+defog on its set much easier than corvi, and bulk up serves me really well on him. Discharge helps with spreading paralysis, which can make some faster much offensive threats easier to handle. The spread is physically defensive, because as noted before I have other physical walls, and with the sheer amount of things corvi is supposed to counter leading to the possibility of it getting overwhelmed, I wanted to have zapdos as a back up physical wall to help with some things they can both wall.

:ss/kyurem:
Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam

The member of the team that completes my pressure core. While other members of the team use pressure more defensively, kyurem is the best equipped to offensively use its talents, namely against other slower teams. Freeze dry allows it to get passed a lot of bulky waters running around, like the slowtwins, pex, and occasionally tapu fini. While zapdos and corviknight are mostly used early in the game, kyurem often comes in later to exploit opponents running out of steam and finish them off, even though it can certainly pressure stall against slower teams by itself.

:ss/dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell

Slower teams tend to struggle with heatran a lot, especially the magma storm+taunt set, and ESPECIALLY my corviknight set. For this reason I wanted dragonite on this team, as it easily wards off heatran. Another great thing about dragonite is its ability to use heal bell to support my other team members, making wearing them down much harder. I went with stormzone's set as, while by no means the only good defensive dragonite set, it fit the needs of my team perfectly. Other notes about dragonite: multiscale abuse allows it to take hits no other members of my team can take which is useful in a pinch,it's also a great answer to grass bro attackers(kartana and rillaboom) if you don't want to risk wearing down corviknight, and its fighting resistance makes it complement blissey as a special wall very well, ice beam allows it to threaten lando and breaker variants of torn-t which can give blissey some problems with focus blast. Overall while not a monster by itself, it supports the team very well.

:ss/blissey:
Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I really like using blissey on stall teams, as it is a really great blanket check to a lot of different special attackers which doesn't need a lot of guesswork to make work. Since I still didn't have rocks on this team, setting them is blissey's job, and it can get a lot of openings since it forces a lot of special attackers to switch out. Toxic is vital on this set, as it is my best bet against set up volcarona variants, as well as contributing to the general wear down plan. Corvi plus blissey absolutely dunks on choice lele since between them they can easily take any of its attacks and force it to lock itself.

:ss/zeraora:
Zeraora @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

This might be weird seeing on a stall team, but as already mentioned, zeraora fills several very important niches on this team. The first is an electric immunity which supports corviknight greatly. It's outspeeding dragapult is also a great thing, as I run both kyurem and dragonite which are in danger of it, and choiced fire blast sets threaten corviknight a bit too much for my tastes too. It can also use knock off, which is really important to remove heavy duty boots to make wearing opposing teams down possible. Another important thing is that it is one of the better tools my teams has for taking momentum, between being able to interrupt volt switches with volt absorb, and having volt switch itself. Volt absorb also lets it have some longevity, which is really nice.

THREATS
While I haven't been playing with this team a lot and havent seen that much that is very threatening, some things to keep in mind are:

Knock off - the move is very annoying as a lot of my mons are rocks weak and dont like taking chip damage as they want to be walling as much as possible
:garchomp: - While usually corvi can take care of it, if corvi is too chipped, this thing can sweep the team with little set up, so keep corvi healthy against him and rely more on dragonite and zapdos to wall things like kartana/rilla...
:weavile: - Added this on suggestion, as I don't really have an amazing switch in to banded triple axel, corvi can check it and zera can revenge kill it, but it's still a bit annoying
:magnezone: - This team relies on corvi a lot and this thing messes it up, while dragonite and zera can take care of it, it makes me play much more carefully than I want to, especially if combined with chomp
:clefable: - setup variants with magic guard might be annoying, all other sets are completely fine

Most of these things are conditionally dangerous and not straight up 6-0 material, but can be very threatening depending on what is chipped on my team

REPLAY
I'm bad at remembering to save replays, and as a consequence have only one replay which wasn't that good since I got a little bit lucky with hax, but I do think this replay showcases some of the strengths of the team, such as being able to withstand powerful breakers like lele, and a setup sweeper such as hawlucha:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1304735042

this one shows why it's good to have redundant checks to things and how to play around magnezone:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1305409281-ne037psv5gu6q98rfj2antz54w78trlpw

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
While I'm currently happy with the lineup I have and probably won't be changing any pokemon slots for now there are some considerations I would like some opinions on:
EV spreads for some mons; specifically kyurem(help me pls I have no idea whats good here),zapdos(mostly if there are any good speed investments that are not too large), and corvi(maybe slightly more spdef to take special hits a bit better?).

close combat vs play rough on zearora: not sure which is better as close combat is more powerful in general, while play rough is nice against chomp.

boots vs lefties on zera: I have a lot of boots already, and the way the games have been going, zera can usually get the same amount of HP back from lefties as it would save from HDB but I'm still not sure what to give it.

special vs physical kyurem: I saw both being played, and for now I went for special as it can threaten waters more easily, but would love to hear your opinions on it.

FINAL WORDS
While I haven't tried out this team that much (I think I have like a 6-1 score in 1300-1400 range for now, and I don't really feel like I peaked yet), and wouldn't really write an RMT this soon, the feel of the team and results really felt good to me, so here I am. This is also my first RMT, as I have mostly been replying to other people's RMT's until now. Thanks for your patience reading this, and as always any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

Caesarr

formerly CaesarzeppeliXD
Hm i dont like your sets, but you have good mons on your team.

Major changes:

:dragonite: > :toxapex: You're very weak to weavile, with toxapex now corviknight will not be overwhelmed by it, yeah you should take care of weavile with future sight support, but you can go corv that turn, and you have kyurem and zeraora to pressure the slow family.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / toxic spikes
- Recover
- Haze / toxic
- Knock Off

Minor changes:

:Kyurem: This set is very slow and weak for beat stall (and in general is not a good one), you need to scout bisharp banded, if the bisharp trainer see that you-re slow than Bisharp they will take advantage of that and come most than with 252 speed, 56 hp and the rest on spa is the ideal, the sets are:

Kyurem @ Metronome
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Roost

:Blissey: Switch toxic with thunder wave or teleport.

:Zapdos: Adamant rillaboom can take advantage of this, you should outspeed it for set up, and you can discharge everything below adamant rillaboom speed that is not electric or ground.

Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Defog

:Corviknight: Now that you have a better pex and blissey breaker in forme of kyurem you should make your corviknight body press, this allow you team to beat subroost kyurem.

Now the only real threat is melmetal and a well played weavile, but i recommend you to scout melmetal with zapdos, you can para it and roost on band.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 314-370 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hm i dont like your sets, but you have good mons on your team.

Major changes:

:dragonite: > :toxapex: You're very weak to weavile, with toxapex now corviknight will not be overwhelmed by it, yeah you should take care of weavile with future sight support, but you can go corv that turn, and you have kyurem and zeraora to pressure the slow family.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / toxic spikes
- Recover
- Haze / toxic
- Knock Off

Minor changes:

:Kyurem: This set is very slow and weak for beat stall (and in general is not a good one), you need to scout bisharp banded, if the bisharp trainer see that you-re slow than Bisharp they will take advantage of that and come most than with 252 speed, 56 hp and the rest on spa is the ideal, the sets are:

Kyurem @ Metronome
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Roost

:Blissey: Switch toxic with thunder wave or teleport.

:Zapdos: Adamant rillaboom can take advantage of this, you should outspeed it for set up, and you can discharge everything below adamant rillaboom speed that is not electric or ground.

Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Defog

:Corviknight: Now that you have a better pex and blissey breaker in forme of kyurem you should make your corviknight body press, this allow you team to beat subroost kyurem.

Now the only real threat is melmetal and a well played weavile, but i recommend you to scout melmetal with zapdos, you can para it and roost on band.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 314-370 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
thinking of it, weavile does seem to be dangerous, as banded sets can 2hko everything on my team with triple axel(provided it hits every time which is about a 50/50 chance), but corviknight can check it and pp stall and zeraora can revenge kill it. still might be worth considering some measures for it but I havent really seen much of it in my part of the ladder. Its definitely scary but between rocks and other precautions it might still be possible to play around it

the speed tier for zapdos is nice and I will use it.

swapping out boots on kyurem is a bit scary on a team that is already so weak to rocks, and this is still a defensive team, so I really want the longevity, but still I will try out this set.

swapping out dragonite for pex basically boils down to whether I'm more afraid of weavile or heatran, and currently I saw more heatran while playing. I know pex can't get trapped with shed shell, but not being able to do much proactively to it doesn't really feel good. I will swap it out if I start running into a lot of weavile. dont forget that with heal bell dragonite is also responsible for supporting my other teammates.

I would only swap moves on blissey if I swap dragonite to pex, which might happen depending on what I run into.

I can see pros and cons to body press and brave bird on corvi and did think about it while building, I might try to see how body press pans out, in that case will switch bulk up to iron defense

Caesarr

formerly CaesarzeppeliXD
I saw more heatran while playing. I know pex can't get trapped with shed shell, but not being able to do much proactively to it doesn't really feel good.
:toxapex:

The idea is scouting the set with pex and pp stall it with zapdos sub, then pex for stomach the last magma storm, remember that your zapdos is only weak to magma storm, the other movs like flash cannon, solar beam, earth power can't damage zapdos like magma storm do.

Dragonite is fine but, if you can slot pex and you already check the grass and volcanion then there's no reason to run it, heal bell is good but you have a natural cure, zeraora absorb thunder wave, kyurem substitute, corviknight, zapdos substitute and pex is immune to toxic and removes tspikes, if you're scare of paralysis i recommend you to always go blissey vs blissey, slowking and clefable (Main thunder wave users alongside dragapult) and teleport out for take a thunder wave.

:corviknight:

On corviknight you can pick both movs, but since clefable is a bit problematic you can go iron head too, just keep kyurem with icicle crash healthy (This is in case if you gonna use metronome kyurem) if you gonna face stall because corviknight is weak vs it, specially iron head sets.

:toxapex:

The idea is scouting the set with pex and pp stall it with zapdos sub, then pex for stomach the last magma storm, remember that your zapdos is only weak to magma storm, the other movs like flash cannon, solar beam, earth power can't damage zapdos like magma storm do.

Dragonite is fine but, if you can slot pex and you already check the grass and volcanion then there's no reason to run it, heal bell is good but you have a natural cure, zeraora absorb thunder wave, kyurem substitute, corviknight, zapdos substitute and pex is immune to toxic and removes tspikes, if you're scare of paralysis i recommend you to always go blissey vs blissey, slowking and clefable (Main thunder wave users alongside dragapult) and teleport out for take a thunder wave.

:corviknight:

On corviknight you can pick both movs, but since clefable is a bit problematic you can go iron head too, just keep kyurem with icicle crash healthy (This is in case if you gonna use metronome kyurem) if you gonna face stall because corviknight is weak vs it, specially iron head sets.
I did think about it yesterday, and I will probably run both depending on the ladder on the day that I play, pex definitely has its merits. just another thing that worries me a bit is that it makes me quite a bit more magnezone weak, but i can see myself using both.

iron head on corvi is actually pretty smart, really good idea and I will definitely try it out

Have you tried Drain Punch over Close Combat on Zeraora? Also what role is Kyurem supposed to serve on the team other than Pressure, you can take off Heavy Duty Boots for something like Metronome for better matchup vs opposing stall since that's the only real use I see Kyurem having as he's too squishy for a stall team to come in on a fast team so boots don't matter all too much and you don't have teleport so

Hey there, nice team. I think you did a great job of creating defensive synergy between your pokemon, and providing support for the core that you built this team around. Based on the concerns you listed under the "future considerations" sections of your RMT, I have some feedback.

:ss/kyurem:

Kyurem @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost

This is the standard substitute Kyurem spread, and what I would recommend for your team. With 56 HP EV's, Kyurem is able to create 101 HP Substitutes. Because Seismic Toss deals 100 HP of damage, having just 1 more on a substitute will not allow Blissey to break Kyurem's substitue in 1 hit, enabling it to properly pressure stall Blissey in a 1v1 scenario. With max speed, and a timid nature, Kyurem is able to outpace Timid Nidoking, Modest Tapu Lele, and speed tie with opposing base 95 speed pokemon. This is situationally useful, and Kyurem doesn't particularly need more investment into bulk to be effective. Instead, 200 SpA EVs allow it to hit much harder against common switch-ins like Clefable and Corviknight, putting more pressure on them to spam Roost/Softboiled, and giving you more opportunities to potentially freeze, which would be devastating. I also recommend Earth power here, as it prevents you from being walled by Heatran.

:ss/zapdos:

Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

This spread makes the most of Zapdos's bulk, while 40 speed and a timid nature allow it to outpace adamant rillaboom, enabling Zapdos to strike first with Heat Wave or Hurricane.

:ss/zeraora:

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Knock Off

While Plasma Fists, Volt Switch, and Knock Off are all generally staples on a physical pivot Zeraora set, the last slot is quite flexible. I would actually recommend Toxic here, as it enables Zeraora to put would-be checks like Landorus, Garchomp, Tangrowth, and Hippowdon on a timer, which can open up an opportunity for Zeraora to beat them out in the long run. In addition, since you mentioned that Garchomp is a bit threatening to the team, this could give you an opportunity to put it on a timer as well.

As for boots vs lefties, I strongly recommend that you go with boots on this team. Lefties can be useful on Bulk Up variants of Zera, but on a pivot set, having total immunity to hazards is invaluable.

And finally, a few more things I'd like to point out that weren't mentioned.

:ss/dragonite:

I would recommend changing your Dragonite to a phys def spread of 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spdef with a relaxed or impish nature. I noticed that Urshifu-Rapid-Strike is very scary to your team under rain, with your current spdef Dragonite spread.

With multiscale broken:

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite in Rain on a critical hit: 216-255 (55.9 - 66%) -- approx. 2HKO

as opposed to a phys def spread under the same conditions:

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dragonite in Rain on a critical hit: 153-183 (39.6 - 47.4%) -- approx. 3HKO

I don't think Dragonite particularly needs the special defense investment for much, while a phys def spread patches up this hole and additionally makes beating out rillaboom a little bit less stressful.

I also see that safeguard volcarona could potentially be deadly against your current lineup. You could possibly opt for Dual Wingbeat on Dragonite to beat it out, instead of Ice Beam.

:ss/blissey:

You mentioned that calm mind Clefable variants are a problem for your team, and I can absolutely see that being the case. One solution to this problem could be to give your Blissey Thunder Wave over Toxic. This forces Clefable to waste Softboils constantly healing against Blissey, and gives you an opportunity to outright beat it with enough full paras.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope these recommendations help, and good luck laddering ^^

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I agree with the other people about using 56 / 200 / 252 on Kyurem. You always want to be able to outspeed as much as possible when using Substitute. Consequently, you could consider using 252 Spe Timid on Zapdos. The upcoming SubRoost Zapdos analysis set has max speed, but has SpA investment to 2HKO Chomp, but as you don't have Hurricane, consider 252 HP / 252 Spe. Also, is Thunderbolt possibly better than Discharge for a PP stall team like this? If a Pokemon is paralysed it can't use a PP while you do, but you lose the ability to slow down faster Pokemon, so not certain. There's probably a better mixed defenses Dragonite spread too, which I'll work out later as I plan to try a modified version of this team.

Edit: I propose 252 / 212+ / 44 on Dragonite. This allows you to avoid the 2HKO from Urshifu-R's Banded Surging Strikes in rain with Multiscale gone whilst keeping as much special bulk as possible. If there's any calc this affects then let me know and I'll make a different spread for it. I'm now trying a modified team with fast Earth Power Kyurem, fast Thunderbolt Zapdos, Iron Head Corviknight, this EV spread on Dragonite and Boots Zeraora and will tell you how it goes.

From testing, how does the team handle Swords Dance + Fire Fang Garchomp?

Last edited:
thanks everybody for the feedback, and it was really great, so I will split my answers into points. Do keep in mind that I haven't played with this team in a little while so I might be fuzzy on the details:
  • the dragonite spread was used because I wanted a bit of specially defensive backup to blissey, mostly for tanking some of the focus blasts that will get thrown at it, but your arguments for a more physically defensive dragonite are definitely merited(that spread you made TailGlowVM sounds pretty good). Also this is the reason I use ice beam over dual wingbeat, to trade better with NP tornadus that can mess up blissey if I'm not careful, and in my experience safeguard volcarona is not common enough to warrant going for dual wingbeat.
  • for the two suggested zapdos spreads, I think both are better than mine, but I'm leaning towards the 40 speed one, as I will still occasionally want to switch zapdos into stuff, and the extra defense is nice for that.
  • actually I don't think I ran into a fire fang chomp in testing, as most sweeper chomps seemed to run stone edge, but from looking at the calcs, if it goes swords dance straight into fire fang(I'm switching into corvi on the SD) I can hit it with a brave bird, and outspeed with zeraora with cc since it didnt get a scale shot off, and it should kill itself somewhere on the way. dragonite's ice beam can also put a massive dent into it, and it won't go down to unboosted hits. that is if it's LO, if its lefties setup sweeper, at +2 it can't OHKO blissey with anything except for a 5 hit scale shot, so it's getting toxiced. It also can't really switch in easily, as it can't switch in on kyurem, dragonite has ice beam, blissey might toxic it, if corvi gets a chance to get a sub or bulk up off, it becomes much harder to crack, and zeraora can still get some nasty hits in. Overall it is very dangerous, but it probably wont sweep you. That said some good predicts will definitely be necessary to keep it in check.
  • the kyurem points sound great, and TBH I just didn't know how to exactly make it's set so that is definitely appreciated. earth power also sounds nice to offer additional help with magnezone and tran if necessary. I'm not a big fan of metronome on this team specifically though, as I don't really need extra help to break through opposing stall, since I have heal bell and with triple pressure users I win the pp war by default, and I want the extra longevity boots offer.
  • toxic on zera sounds absolutely viable, especially for the chomp point you mentioned. HDB is also slightly better than lefties, even though I didn't see a noticeable difference here, but if we are min maxing the team then definitely go for HDB.
Overall, I think your advice has been really great at polishing the team up and making it more foolproof, and would wish to thank you all for the help. I don't know how much further testing I will do as I am currently trying out some different playstyles, but I do hope the team treats you well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)