Signups PUPL X - Manager Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Monotype Leader

s/o Chloe for the awesome art
Hello and welcome to PUPL X! We're looking for 8 managing duos this time around, eight pairs of two. Managers are expected to have past PUPL experience, managed in a Smogon team tournament before, and/or be a major contributor to PU. Managers are also expected to be active in their teamchat and respond quickly with substitutes or lineups. Additionally, keeping a team name from last year is highly encouraged, but not a requirement! To manage, please post the following in one post:

Manager:
Assistant Manager:
Team Name:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details):
The format for PUPL X will mirror that of PUPL IX:
  • SV
  • SV
  • SV
  • SS
  • SM
  • ORAS
  • BW
  • DPP
  • ADV
  • Bo3 (SV/SS/SM)
Changes to selfbuys & the draft

The budget for auction this year will be 130k and there will be a minimum of 3 substitutes required per team. Pricing for selfbuys will also be a little different this year and mirror the formula from RUPL, seen below (and you can play with a test sheet for pricing courtesy of DugZa):

Manager price = (M-1) * 0.5 * # of wins last PUPL + (P + 3) + 0.75 * # of wins last PUPL - 1 * # of losses last PUPL
M being the number of selfbuys performed by the team (1 or 2).
P being the price of said player in their last PUPL capped at 17. If they never played PUPL or if their price was lower than 10, it defaults to 10.
The result is rounded up.

Player retains will be the player's price last year + 3k, as is generally the standard.

A team may have a total of 3 players purchased prior to the draft between retains and/or manager selfbuys. Any feedback or opinions about the formula are also welcome in your signup posts.

Manager signups will close June 2nd and player signups will be posted then with the chosen managers.

Last year's spreadsheet (to see last year's teams and potential retains)

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Manager: DugZa
Assistant Manager: Floss
Team Name:
Haunter x Haunter
Why would you be a good manager?
I managed all of PUPL, PUWC and PUBD last year making playoffs in all of them. Floss has been playing the tier at a high level for the past few years as well with good results such as making finals of PU Open last year and going 6-3 last PUPL.

sasha

what we did in the desert
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Manager: Sasha
Assistant Manager: mncmt
Team Name: :grafaiai: Pokestar Pranksters :grafaiai:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I have managed a very large handful of subforum tours, and have been included in previous iterations of PUPL and PUWC, as well as supporting a PU slot in SCL, while keeping up with the tier very regularly. Mence just won PUBD as manager and has won PUWC back to back and we're both involved in other low tiers as well as both as players/managers (I'm currently managing RUGL for ex.). We'd be motivated and want to bring home a win ^_^!

mncmt

is a Past SPL Champion
RUPL Champion
Manager: Sasha
Assistant Manager: mncmt
Team Name: :grafaiai: Pokestar Pranksters :grafaiai:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I have managed a very large handful of subforum tours, and have been included in previous iterations of PUPL and PUWC, as well as supporting a PU slot in SCL, while keeping up with the tier very regularly. Mence just won PUBD as manager and has won PUWC back to back and we're both involved in other low tiers as well as both as players/managers (I'm currently managing RUGL for ex.). We'd be motivated and want to bring home a win ^_^!
Confirmando :)

gulch

jump like birds on a wire
is a Forum Moderator
Manager: Melt Gibson
Assistant Manager: Ampha
Team Name: :Okidogi:
Malignant Chain Snatchers :okidogi:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details):
Both of us have managed previously (Myself in PUBD and UUFPL, Ampha in RUGL), are very involved in the tier (Ampha recently made semifinals of PULT and played in PUBD, I managed PUBD, played in last PUPL, am on QC, and am generally very involved in the community), and we're both highly motivated to bring home a trophy :)

Manager: tier ❄
Assistant Manager: Mada ❄
Team Name: Glacial Glastriers:glastrier:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I won PUPL last year and was extremely invested/prominent in SV at the time, had a 6-2 record, was support for PU in SCL. and played the subsequent PUWC where once again I was building SV and helping people out. Ive been in a couple of the past iterations of PUPL as well as playing quite a few old gens of PU, 4-2 in SSPU for SSPL. Played multiple rounds of PU BW in 2020 for a random cup (enough to say im competent imo from BW -> SV). My co-manager is relevant across all tiers on smogon, having managed a plethora of tours to reasonable success and nobody has anything but praise for his work ethic as a manager. Both of us have individually managed other tours, myself in CAP/AGPL and Mada in a multitude of other tiers such as Teamballo, TPL, NDMPL, RWCOP, NDPL, NDWC, MWCOP, Mono BLT, UMPL, EPL, BSSWC, MPL while playing BLT, TPP, NDPL, NDMPL, WCOP, ZUPL, WCOR, TPP, CAPPL, MWP, OUPL, RBYWC, ORASPL, ROAPL, SPL, BSSPL, HPL, AGWL, LCPL all to good results. [ we can rlly go on for days ngl ALSO I made a cute logo, let’s be for real I’ve never missed PO as manager and imma get my team this W + imma get a bunch of ppl who don’t sign up to sign up. ]

Last edited:

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
NUPL Champion
Manager: Melt Gibson
Assistant Manager: Ampha
Team Name: :Okidogi:
Malignant Chain Snatchers :okidogi:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): Both of us have managed previously (Myself in PUBD and UUFPL, Ampha in RUGL), are very involved in the tier (Ampha recently made semifinals of PULT and played in PUBD, I managed PUBD, played in last PUPL, am on QC, and am generally very involved in the community), and we're both highly motivated to bring home a trophy :)
Confirming :psyglad:

Manager: Feaniix
Assistant Manager: QWILY
Team Name: tbd
I played in the past 3x PUPL also recently PUBD and managed 3x Germany in PUWC so got a lot of PU Tour experience and could help with old gens, got also some managing experience with currently NUPL, 2x BWPL and won Germany PL. Qwily is a very proven player who also played PUPL and PUWC before and is very motivated for SV PU,
He also got managing experinece with UWC, Retro Cup and Germany PL.

Baloor

wooimbouttamakeanameformyselfere
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
NUPL Champion
Manager: tier ❄
Assistant Manager: Mada ❄
Team Name: Glastrier's Glaciers :glastrier:
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I won PUPL last year and was extremely invested/prominent in SV at the time, had a 6-2 record, was support for PU in SCL. and played the subsequent PUWC where once again I was building SV and helping people out. Ive been in a couple of the past iterations of PUPL as well as playing quite a few old gens of PU, 4-2 in SSPU for SSPL. Played multiple rounds of PU BW in 2020 for a random cup (enough to say im competent imo from BW -> SV). My co-manager is relevant across all tiers on smogon, having managed a plethora of tours to reasonable success and nobody has anything but praise for his work ethic as a manager. Both of us have individually managed other tours, myself in CAP/AGPL and Mada in a multitude of other tiers such as Teamballo, TPL, NDMPL, RWCOP, NDPL, NDWC, MWCOP, Mono BLT, UMPL, EPL, BSSWC, MPL while playing BLT, TPP, NDPL, NDMPL, WCOP, ZUPL, WCOR, TPP, CAPPL, MWP, OUPL, RBYWC, ORASPL, ROAPL, SPL, BSSPL, HPL, AGWL, LCPL all to good results. [ we can rlly go on for days ngl. ]
I’m not high on tier acid

Manager: Ninja
Assistant Manager: Seraphz
Team Name: The Gargantuan Golurks
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I managed PUPL last year, NUPL twice and BLT twice, and played PUWC twice, winning once. Seraphz is a newer player but is extremely motivated and has managed in RUGL, DOU Derby, BDSPPL, ZUWC, NDWC e PTPL, and also played in PUWC and PUBD.

Manager: Ninja
Assistant Manager: Seraphz
Team Name: The Gargantuan Golurks
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I managed PUPL last year, NUPL twice and BLT twice, and played PUWC twice, winning once. Seraphz is a newer player but is extremely motivated and has managed in RUGL, DOU Derby, BDSPPL, ZUWC, NDWC e PTPL, and also played in PUWC and PUBD.
Confirming :swole:

ishtar

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
Manager: ishta
Assistant Manager: Meri Berry
Team Name:
i dunno yet
Managed both last PUPL and PUBD and made playoffs both times. Meri has plenty of manager experience and has been my helper thru both tournaments and has stayed by my side despite being sent to the SS PU mines, showing her strength and perseverance through the toughest of times, a modern Joan of Arc.

Meri Berry

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Manager: ishta
Assistant Manager: Meri Berry
Team Name: i dunno yet
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): Managed both last PUPL and PUBD and made playoffs both times. Meri has plenty of manager experience and has been my helper thru both tournaments and has stayed by my side despite being sent to the SS PU mines, showing her strength and perseverance through the toughest of times, a modern Joan of Arc.
confirming that ss pu isn't that bad

justdrew

beauty in the struggle
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Manager: justdrew
Assistant Manager: Taka
Team Name:
Productive Pawmots

Untitled_2_1.png

Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I have only managed 4 tours (UUFPL 3 times and UUSD once). However, I have a 100% playoff appearance rate; 2 semis and 2 finals. I was drafted for my first ever PUPL last season where I started weeks 4-6 and all of playoffs, going 5-0 and winning the tour. I beat players better than me in the tier, who also had far more experience. I additionally had to learn the tier quickly and began helping my team prep, building teams for my team mates. The win rate of my teams built for others was somewhere around 8-3. My performance in PUPL is what got me drafted for SCL as 3k prep slot where I helped ho3n on his 11-1 run and also won that tour. I also continued my pu success by qualifying for PULT. I give everything I have as a manager and my success rate speaks for itself. My passion for this game is both a blessing and a curse as many people know. I tend to be overzealous at times—which is probably a kind way to put it. But I never seek to sabotage the competitive or fun environment of any team tour I participate in. If chosen as a manager for this tour, I will do my best as an underdog to compete with other esteemed managers, most with more experience and results.

Taka has managed PTPL, UUFPL, and BLT, and has experience building and playing for UPL, UUPL, RUPL, NUPL, PUPL, as well as SCL as a support slot helping with PU. The two of us form a strong support core and can lead our team to great success.

Thank you for your consideration, and good luck to all other managers!

Taka

alligator swag
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Manager: justdrew
Assistant Manager: Taka
Team Name:
Productive Pawmots

View attachment 637305

Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I have only managed 4 tours (UUFPL 3 times and UUSD once). However, I have a 100% playoff appearance rate; 2 semis and 2 finals. I was drafted for my first ever PUPL last season where I started weeks 4-6 and all of playoffs, going 5-0 and winning the tour. I beat players better than me in the tier, who also had far more experience. I additionally had to learn the tier quickly and began helping my team prep, building teams for my team mates. The win rate of my teams built for others was somewhere around 8-3. My performance in PUPL is what got me drafted for SCL as 3k prep slot where I helped ho3n on his 11-1 run and also won that tour. I also continued my pu success by qualifying for PULT. I give everything I have as a manager and my success rate speaks for itself. My passion for this game is both a blessing and a curse as many people know. I tend to be overzealous at times—which is probably a kind way to put it. But I never seek to sabotage the competitive or fun environment of any team tour I participate in. If chosen as a manager for this tour, I will do my best as an underdog to compete with other esteemed managers, most with more experience and results.

Taka has managed PTPL, UUFPL, and BLT, and has experience building and playing for UPL, UUPL, RUPL, NUPL, PUPL, as well as SCL as a support slot helping with PU. The two of us form a strong support core and can lead our team to great success.

Thank you for your consideration, and good luck to all other managers!
confirming

Manager: One Last Kiss
Assistant Manager: Mashing
Team Name: :Sandslash-Alola: Icy Desert Sandslash :Sandslash-Alola:
Mashing has experience in team tours, she has participated in almost any gen/tier teamtour in the smogon community including past pupl ones. She has won some team tours and participated in official team tours such as wcop and scl.

For my part, I have participated and won some teamtours here in smogon and in one of these being the captain, having captained SSPL and currently captaining CAPPL. In addition to knowing the player base, I can quickly learn a tier to support my players.

We are an unusual pair but if we are chosen, we will certainly do our best to lead our team to victory.

Manager: One Last Kiss
Assistant Manager: Mashing
Team Name: :Sandslash-Alola: Icy Desert Sandslash :Sandslash-Alola:
Mashing has experience in team tours, she has participated in almost any gen/tier teamtour in the smogon community including past pupl ones. She has won some team tours and participated in official team tours such as wcop and scl.

For my part, I have participated and won some teamtours here in smogon and in one of these being the captain, having captained SSPL and currently captaining CAPPL. In addition to knowing the player base, I can quickly learn a tier to support my players.

We are an unusual pair but if we are chosen, we will certainly do our best to lead our team to victory.
confirming

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Manager: zS
Assistant Manager: Toxinalpaca
Team Name: scream queen idols
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I've managed this tour twice and played this tour for 5 years already, managed in multiple other tournaments with good success accross them and i'm knowledgeable in pretty much any generation available in the tournament. If anyone wants an experience at co-managing this tournament with me shoot me a dm on discord (alomomohamed) and we'll figure everything out from there Toxinalpaca also has experience managing, having managed the last iteration of dpl, doubles derby as well as multiple discord tours. He's also a keen learner and will make sure to be up to date with the tiers by the start of the tour

Last edited:
Manager: zS
Assistant Manager: Toxinalpaca
Team Name: tbd
Why would you be a good manager? (Prior experience + any other additional details): I've managed this tour twice and played this tour for 5 years already, managed in multiple other tournaments with good success accross them and i'm knowledgeable in pretty much any generation available in the tournament. If anyone wants an experience at co-managing this tournament with me shoot me a dm on discord (alomomohamed) and we'll figure everything out from there
Confirming :)

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Monotype Leader
The managers for PUPL X have been chosen and are as follows:
  • :magmortar: m.A.A.d. City Magmortars - Drud & fish anemometer - retains from m.A.A.d. City Magmortars
  • :haunter: Haunter x Haunter - DugZa & Floss - retains from Haunter x Haunter
  • :unknown: TBD - ishtar & Meri Berry - retains from The Sliggoomfies
  • :scream tail: SCREAM QUEEN LOORS - zS & Baloor - retains from Joe Bidoof
  • :grafaiai: Pokestar Pranksters - sasha & mncmt - retains from Destructive Dedennes
  • :golurk: The Gargantuan Golurks - Ninja & Seraphz - retains from Lucky Leafeons
  • :toxtricity-low-key: Malignant Chain Snatchers - gulch & Ampha - retains from The Twinkatuffs
  • :unknown: TBD - Feaniix & QWILY - retains from Dave's Doublades

Please join the PU server if you're not already there :toast:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)