move 2: Earthquake / Stockpile / Protect
move 3: Toxic / Yawn
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
ability: Unaware
nature: Relaxed / Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
With Unaware, Quagsire becomes a Pokemon capable of walling a multitude of setup sweepers, as it allows Quagsire to ignore stat buffs racked up by the foe. Scald is Quagsire's most prominent attack, as it can burn physical attackers and helps Quagsire wall them. Earthquake allows Quagsire to hit Pokemon it can't touch with Scald, such as Duraludon, Toxtricity, and Dracozolt. Stockpile is an alternate choice that allows Quagsire to surprise the foe by making it harder to KO. Protect allows for a turn of safety against foes to scout moves and rack up status damage, while also slightly healing if Quagsire has Leftovers. Toxic allows Quagsire to cripple both sweepers and other walls, such as Galarian Corsola. Yawn can stop sweepers right in their tracks, waste Dynamax turns, and give an ally a chance to come in without fear of being attacked. Recover is a consistent recovery method that allows Quagsire to be a consistent thorn in the side of the opponent's team.

Quagsire has a choice between the passive recovery of Leftovers or the one-time healing of Sitrus Berry when it drops under 50% health. The item choice is more dependent on what you wish your Quagsire to wall, as one or the other can be stronger against different foes. Passive recovery from Leftovers work better against foes that do less half of Quagsire’s health, such as Tyranitar, while one-time healing from Sitrus Berry is better against over half of Quagsire’s health, such as Choice Scarf Galarian Darmanitan. Rocky Helmet is also a viable option, as Quagsire walls many physical attackers, but it prefers recovery if possible. Unaware gives Quagsire a unique niche as a counter to physical setup sweepers, such as Cloyster. A Relaxed nature is used when using both STAB moves as to not weaken either move and a Bold nature is chosen when Stockpile is taken over Earthquake, as the Attack stat is no longer required.

Quagsire struggles with Pokemon with Grass-type coverage and strong special attackers. In particular, Gyarados and Togekiss both OHKO it. Quagsire struggles against most special attackers, as it doesn't invest very much, if at all, into its lackluster Special Defense. As such, many special attackers, such as Choice Specs Dragapult, Togekiss, and even Choice Specs Rotom-H can pose trouble for Quagsire. Every Rotom forme can be quite bad for Quagsire, as they can Trick Choice items onto Quagsire, locking it into a move and rendering it helpless. Rotom-C is a particularly annoying matchup, as it's immune to Earthquake, takes little from Scald, and cares little for a burn, all while being able to OHKO with Leaf Storm. All that being said, Quagsire still has a chance to win against many of those matchups if it takes Stockpile to stop itself from being completely abused by special attackers. Quagsire also struggles heavily versus other walls that are immune to Toxic, such as Toxapex and Ferrothorn, as they can either Toxic it or hit it back with a Grass-type STAB attack respectively and take very little from Quagsire's STAB moves, although Ferrothorn should be wary of the burn.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[lura, 190701]]
- Quality checked by: [[marilli, 70760], [Theorymon, 29010]]
- Grammar checked by: [[lotiasite, 302985]]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my "first" (let's pretend I didn't accidentally ditch one back in the day) analysis write-up, so please do bear with me and all advice is appreciated.

Some random things I was thinking about, for stuff EQ hits, I wasn't sure to add in, so I ended up going with those examples, but I feel like I missed something big. Also, I thought maybe I should offhandedly mention Rocky Helmet and how Rindo Berry is better more suited for the other two.

I don't know if Choice Specs Duraludon should be mentioned as Draco one shots Quagsire there. Fun thing I ran into, Specs Rotom-H can 2HKO with enough investment, but eh that's kinda gimmicky and more just to say how all the Rotom Formes have a chance of beating Quagsire. I feel like I should be able to expand on all the sections a bit, but I'm just blanking right now.

I probably missed a lot of stuff and would be grateful for any suggestions.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Good going! I'll touch on your questions / thoughts you had on post #2

Specs Duraludon I would not mention - it is generally going to 2HKO Quagsire with Draco Meteor or Dynamax Solar Beam anyways I feel like there's no need to mention a pretty much an un-set in Specs Duraludon. If anything Specs Dragapult is much more relevant to mention, despite it not getting a clean OHKO.

Rocky Helmet I think is still fine for Quagsire, but Quagsire prefers recovery so a Helmet mention as a potential option for Quagsire is fine.

Specs Rotom-H thing is definitely worth mentioning - but talk about it as a symptom of a larger problem: Quagsire's awful Special Defense that goes uninvested here. Mention Trick as well talking about Rotom in general I suppose, even if the Rotom-H is scarf, it can just Trick you which is unfortunate.

Also talk about Stockpile stumping the above gameplan of peppering Quagsire with special hits. In fact I think I see Stockpile variants slightly invest into SpDef, but I'm not exactly sure how much so it's probably not necessary to mention exactly how much in a preview.

Do this for QC 1/2

Good going! I'll touch on your questions / thoughts you had on post #2

Specs Duraludon I would not mention - it is generally going to 2HKO Quagsire with Draco Meteor or Dynamax Solar Beam anyways I feel like there's no need to mention a pretty much an un-set in Specs Duraludon. If anything Specs Dragapult is much more relevant to mention, despite it not getting a clean OHKO.

Rocky Helmet I think is still fine for Quagsire, but Quagsire prefers recovery so a Helmet mention as a potential option for Quagsire is fine.

Specs Rotom-H thing is definitely worth mentioning - but talk about it as a symptom of a larger problem: Quagsire's awful Special Defense that goes uninvested here. Mention Trick as well talking about Rotom in general I suppose, even if the Rotom-H is scarf, it can just Trick you which is unfortunate.

Also talk about Stockpile stumping the above gameplan of peppering Quagsire with special hits. In fact I think I see Stockpile variants slightly invest into SpDef, but I'm not exactly sure how much so it's probably not necessary to mention exactly how much in a preview.

Do this for QC 1/2
Thanks for the reply~ I made the changes you recommended, but I think my last section got a bit too bloated. Should I cut down on it a bit?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I wouldn't worry about writing too much. I think its a bit repetitive which is why you're feeling that way but hopefully GP can fix that for us.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, checking this now!

- You mention Hawlucha as an example of something Quagisre checks. While that's true, I'd replace the mention with Excadrill, whose a much more relevant target for Quagsire at the moment.

-I'd probably replace all 3 Rotoms with Rotom formes. Rotom-S is actually viable this time, and while I certainly wouldn't use Rotom-F, that would probably give Quagsire issues anyways.

Honestly otherwise marilli covered everything I would have mentioned, so QC Approved 2/2 after these things are implemented!

A Relaxed nature is used when using both STABs as to not weaken either move and a Bold nature is chosen when Stockpile is taken over Toxic, as the Attack stat is no longer required.

Stockpile isn't in the same moveslot as Toxic. Did you mean to say when Stockpile is taken over Earthquake?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
pretty surprised there’s no mention of yawn and/or protect. i’ve only seen it on offensive teams as obviously stall teams want quag to toxic stuff, but it’s an option I think should be mentioned.

A Relaxed nature is used when using both STABs as to not weaken either move and a Bold nature is chosen when Stockpile is taken over Toxic, as the Attack stat is no longer required.

Stockpile isn't in the same moveslot as Toxic. Did you mean to say when Stockpile is taken over Earthquake?
Yeah, that’s a thing I messed up on whoops.

pretty surprised there’s no mention of yawn and/or protect. i’ve only seen it on offensive teams as obviously stall teams want quag to toxic stuff, but it’s an option I think should be mentioned.
Protect is something I like with Toxic Stall (like who doesn’t), but I never really felt like I had the room to include on Quagsire’s sets. I could try slashing Yawn with Toxic and Protect with Earthquake / Stockpile though? Would that be a good idea?

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

[SET]
name: Unaware Wall
move 1: Scald
move 2: Earthquake / Stockpile / Protect
move 3: Toxic / Yawn
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
ability: Unaware
nature: Relaxed / Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
With Unaware, Quagsire becomes a Pokemon capable of walling a multitude of setup sweepers, (AC) as it allows Quagsire to ignore stat buffs racked up by the fopponent. (foe = opposing mon, opponent = opposing player) Scald is Quagsire's most prominent attack, as it can burns physical attackers and helps Quagsire wall them. Earthquake is its other STAB move, which allows Quagsire to hit Pokemon it can't touch with Scald, such as Duraludon, Toxtricity, and Dracozolt. Stockpile is an alternate choice that allows Quagsire to surprise its opponentthe foe by making it harder to KO kill and it creates a situation where something that should've been an OHKO or 2HKO on Quagsire will no longer be the case. (clunky and it's pretty implied from the defense boosts) This also allows you to invest a little more into Quagsire's Special Defense to be more sturdy against both types of attackers. (how much? there's no alternative ev spread listed) Protect allows for a turn of safety against fopponents to scout moves and allow status to do their job, rack up status damage while also slightly healing if Quagsire has Leftovers. Toxic allows for Quagsire to cripple both sweepers and other walls, such as Galarian Corsola-G. Yawn can stop sweepers right in their tracks, waste Dynamax turns, and give an ally a chance to come in without fear of being attacked. Recover is a consistent recovery method that allows for itQuagsire to be a consistent thorn in the side of the opponent's team.

Quagsire has a choice between the passive recovery of Leftovers or the one-(AH)time healing of Sitrus Berry when it drops under 50% health. The item choice is more dependent on what you wish your Quagsire to wall, as one or the other can be stronger against different opponents.foes. (what's better for what foes? Be more specific) Rocky Helmet is also a viable option, as Quagsire walls many physical attackers, but it prefers recovery if possible. Unaware is the only option for an ability, as it allows forgives Quagsire to carve a unique niche for itself toas a counter to physical setup sweepers, such as Cloyster, and absorbing Water-type moves is better left to its counterparts in Gastrodon and Seismitoad. (clunky, not really relevant here, since u already mentioned quag's niche at the beginning) A Relaxed nature is used when using both STAB moves as to not weaken either move and a Bold nature is chosen when Stockpile is taken over Earthquake, as the Attack stat is no longer required.

Quagsire in particular (repetition) struggles with Pokemon with Grass-type coverage and strong special attackers. In particular, Gyarados and Togekiss both OHKO it. Quagsire struggles against most special attackers, as it doesn't invest very much, if at all, into its lackluster Special Defense. As such, many special attackers, such as Choice Specs Dragapult, Togekiss, and even Choice Specs Rotom-H can pose trouble for Quagsire. Every Rotom forme can be quite bad for Quagsire, (AC) as they can Trick Choice items onto Quagsire, locking it into a move and rendering it helpless. Rotom-C is a particularly annoying matchup, as it's immune to Earthquake, takes little from Scald, and cares little for a burn, all while being able to OHKO with Leaf Storm. All that being said, Quagsire still has a chance to win against many of those matchups if it takes Stockpile to stop itself from being completely abused by special attackers. Quagsire also struggles heavily versus other walls that are immune to Toxic, such as Toxapex and Ferrothorn, as they can either Toxic it or hit it back with a Grass-type STAB attack respectively and take very little from Quagsire's STAB moves, although Ferrothorn should be wary of the burn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)