Question about EV training

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Apologies if this is the wrong section to post in)

Long time Pokemon player here, but I'm new to the idea of competitive Pokemon and all that needs to be done to make a team viable against other serious trainers. Frankly, it's overwhelming and seems incredibly time-consuming, and I was just going to pay someone to raise the team I wanted for me, but then I discovered this Super Training thing.

Is it enough to catch Pokemon with the proper nature and personality trait, then EV train them with Super Training? Or do I need to breed a million billion times to get perfect IV's or whatever? Also while I'm going through the story will my Pokemon possibly get EV's I don't want them to have? In which case should I just get some HM slaves to beat the story, then catch the Pokemon I want to use competitively once I've defeated the Elite Four and Champion?

IV breeding isn't that hard with Destiny Knots, and you can just ask mostthe3rd for his 6IV Dittos. And you should since IV's can make a huge difference in battle. Also, about your unwanted EV question, yes, every time you gain EXP, you gain EV's depending on the Pokemon. You probably won't get godly IVs for your in game team, so after you beat the game, then do all your competitive stuff.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon, notplayingyou! In the future, questions like this should go in the "Have a Question" thread, located here.

Your best bet, as you surmise, is to just focus on beating the game first, without worrying about IVs and EVs, and then start trying to catch, breed, and train competitive Pokemon after. For competitive play, however, you will absolutely want to have good IVs, so the proper nature and EV training alone aren't enough. Thankfully, with an Everstone and a Destiny Knot, breeding is much much easier this generation, so it's not a horrible process to get competitive worthy Pokemon, particularly if you can acquire a perfect Ditto (which some people on the wifi forum give away; I have one I'd be happy to give you as well).

A few links that will help you:

TheMantyke's Breeding Guide
The WiFi Forum (use the simple requests thread to ask for help acquiring a perfect Ditto and a Destiny Knot)

Going to lock this now, but feel free to message me or post in the threads I've suggested if you have questions. Best of luck, and welcome once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)