kommoo.gif
|
latios.gif
|
garchomp.gif
|
dragalge.gif

Introduction

So I've made it a challenge for myself to make a monotype team for every single type. I've posted a few monotype teams on here before (Ice and Fighting), and here is another.

Dragon monotype sounds like an overpowered. unbeatable monster at first, but I've ran into some issues with it. I've tried a few different moves and teammates, but I think this team worked the best for me.

However, I'm still struggling with it. Can you guys help me out? I usually play on both Monotype and OU.

The Team:

altaria-mega.gif

Mega Altaria
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

When I've decided to make a Dragon monotype team, I knew that Mega Altaria was a must. Its Fairy typing was simply fantastic for this team. It deals with Dragon types, especially faster ones like Latios, and it has a nice immunity to them. I put Natural Cure as its ability because if I happen to switch into a status condition pre-Mega Evolution, I can simply switch back out. Maximum attack makes Altaria able to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment+Jolly nature helps Altaria outspeed threats such as Dragonite and Breloom at normal Speed, and after a Dragon Dance boost, Mega Lopunny and Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu. 4 Special Defense gives Altaria some extra bulk. Return is Mega Altaria's STAB Fairy attack that can hit Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types that may threaten the team. Dragon Dance gives Altaria a boost in Attack and Speed, turning it into a powerful set-up sweeper. Roost gives Altaria some longevity, which is useful since it has a bit of bulk. Earthquake is used to hit Pokemon like Heatran, Nidoking, and other Steel and Poison types that would usually wall Altaria. Altaria is a very reliable and strong Pokemon for me and works well with my team.

kyurem-black.gif

Kyurem-Black
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Kyurem is a fantastic wallbreaker, and I've wrecked teams with this guy! I've had people who couldn't even deal with it, and even if they were able to knock it out their team already had a big enough dent in it where my other teammates can deal with them. Kyurem is a necessity on Dragon teams. With BoltBeam coverage, Kyurem has the ability to hit nearly the entire tier at least neutrally. It also can rip apart the Zapdos+Skarmory+Mantine core on Flying teams. It can also rip apart Steel types using Earth Power. BoltBeam also allows Kyurem-B to break both Special and Physical walls. Roost provides longevity and helps it deal with Life Orb recoil. Kyurem also provides decent bulk and has a fantastic ability in Teravolt. This allows it to break through Mega Venusaur and Mamoswine's Thick Fat, Rotom-Wash's Levitate, and Skarmory and Forretress' Sturdy. Maxing out Kyurem-B's Speed and giving it the Naive nature makes Kyurem as fast as possible. Because Kyurem's Special Attack is lower than its Physical Attack, 252 Special Attack EVs allows its Ice Beam to reach full potential combined with Life Orb and STAB. Kyurem can also OHKO threats like Tapu Koko with Life Orb. 4 Attack EVs gives its Fusion Bolt more power.

kommoo.gif

Kommo-o
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Dance

Kommo-o seems like an awful choice at first with its 4x Fairy weakness, but it actually doesn't do half bad on my team. It can deal with Steel, Rock and Ice types with Close Combat and can even hit Fairies with Flash Cannon. Its Naive Nature and Maximum Speed EVs allows it to get the most out of a Dragon Dance boost. It also lets it outspeed some of its threats. Its maximum Attack also allows it to hit hard, especially with DD. Clanging Scales allows it to not only use its Z-Move, but also allows it to bypass Substitute and is a relatively strong move. Its Z-Move also is useful because it bypasses Substitute and boosts all of Kommo-o's stats by 1 stage! I would say it's a pretty useful Z-Move, especially since Close Combat and Clanging Scales already lower my defenses. I'm using Flash Cannon to hit Fairy types, and it even has a chance to lower the Special Defense. It works especially well with being boosted by Dragon Dance so it can outspeed Fairies, especially the Tapus. Flash Cannon works especially well against Tapu Lele. Its ability in Soundproof also makes it immune to a Pixilated-Hyper Voice from Mega Gardevoir or Sylveon, and then allows him to hit them with Flash Cannon!

latios.gif

Latios
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Latios is a very useful Pokemon on my team. I've noticed that Toxapex and even some Fighting types really screw me up, and Latios deals with these Pokemon for me. Latios is a fantastic revenge killer for my team. Levitate allows it to avoid any Ground moves and gain momentum, and 252 Special Attack EVs lets it hit as hard as possible. With full investment into Speed EVs, plus a Choice Scarf and a Timid nature, Latios can outspeed every unboosted Pokemon in the tier and even most Choice Scarf users like Excadrill and Keldeo! Draco Meteor is Latios' strongest STAB move and its best tool for revenge killing. Psychic is also a safe and strong STAB move, and is a better option than Psyshock because of the extra power helping Latios revenge kill more reliably. Defog allows it to remove entry hazards, since Kyurem and Altaria prior to Mega Evolution struggle with things like Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Steel also deals with Fairy, especially since Latios can outspeed all of them.

garchomp.gif

Garchomp
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my entry hazard setter. He has Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin to punish physical attackers who try to take him down, and it also complements Dragalge's special bulk and forms a nice defensive core between the two (at least that's what I heard). The 4 EV investment into Special Attack allows it to give Fire Blast a slight boost in power, since Garchomp is more of a physical attacker. The maximum attack and speed EVs, along with the Naive nature for the latter, allow it to hit as hard and fast as possible, since Garchomp has pretty decent Speed. However, the Naive nature forces Garchomp to sacrifice a bit of bulk. Earthquake is for a powerful Ground STAB move, and Stone Edge deals with Flying types like Tornadus. Fire Blast has also come in handy for dealing with Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Tapu Bulu, Skarmory, and Mega Scizor.

dragalge.gif

Dragalge
Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dragalge is used to deal with Fairy types. It has decent bulk and Special Attack, but the latter is fixed with its ability in Adaptability. Adaptability also works well with high base power moves, especially in Draco Meteor. The power of Draco Meteor is also boosted by Dragon Fang. Sludge Wave deals with Fairy types. Toxic Spikes is used to hold back the opposing team by poisoning its Pokemon and breaking down the team. It also wears down walls and threats. Hidden Power Fire is a good coverage move, since it deals with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. With maxed out Special Attack plus a Modest nature and Adaptability, Dragalge could hit very hard. 28 Speed helps Dragalge outspeed Hippowdon, which Dragalge can OHKO after Stealth Rock damage and a Dragon Fang-Adaptability- boosted Draco Meteor. The rest of the EVs are used on HP, giving Dragalge a bit of mixed bulk. Dragon Fang also allows Dragalge to 2HKO Mega Sableye by using Draco Meteor.

Weaknesses
  • Walls: Walls that set up through Calm Mind, Curse, Stockpile, etc. are really difficult to deal with, but I only recently added Dragon Tail on Garchomp.
  • Tapu Lele
  • Toxapex
  • Fairy types
  • Ice types
  • Latios and other Dragon types

Hi! Pretty cool team that actually seems fine for the most part, but needs a few tweaks. For one thing Offensive Garchomp should definitley be running Sash for gaurunteed Rocks as well as Outrage over Stone Edge to threaten stuff like Greninja and Latios with Sash intact.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

If you want to use Rocky Helmet to annoy stuff like Mega Lopunny you probably should use a more defensive spread such as this:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 148 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

This spread lets Garchomp outspeed Jolly Bisharp and gives it a solid chance to live a Moonblast from Mega Diancie.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 25 HP / 148+ SpD Garchomp: 320-380 (88.1 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Lastly I would personally run Choice Band Dragonite over Dragalge since it is one of the best pokemon on Dragon teams, providing great utility with Multiscale, having strong priority, and 2HKOing even the bulkiest walls that don’t resist Outrage with ease.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

However if you still wanted to run Dragalge, which is a fun mon to toy around with, I would Band Dragonite over Kommo-o and give Dragalge Poisinium Z, which is an interesting tech I’ve enjoyed using to OHKO Mega Diancie (which is useful since it can live any hit from it after Stealth Rocks) and nuke certain walls without lowering it’s special attack. Dragalge makes up for losing Kommo-O to break Normal by providing Toxic Spikes, which give Chansey and Porygon 2 big headaches since Staraptor struggles to Defog at all against the insane offensive pressure coming from Dragon teams. However Dragalge is a pretty niche mon so keep in mind it isn’t as easy to find success in compared to something like Kommo-O.

Dragalge @ Poisonium Z
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hope you enjoy the team!

If you run Kommo-o you should probably run Poison Jab over Flash cannon. It gets boosted by Dragon Dance and still hits fairies supr effectively. Not to mention that that one actually dents Gardevoir and Sylveon.

Hi! Pretty cool team that actually seems fine for the most part, but needs a few tweaks. For one thing Offensive Garchomp should definitley be running Sash for gaurunteed Rocks as well as Outrage over Stone Edge to threaten stuff like Greninja and Latios with Sash intact.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

If you want to use Rocky Helmet to annoy stuff like Mega Lopunny you probably should use a more defensive spread such as this:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 148 SpD / 92 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

This spread lets Garchomp outspeed Jolly Bisharp and gives it a solid chance to live a Moonblast from Mega Diancie.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 25 HP / 148+ SpD Garchomp: 320-380 (88.1 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Lastly I would personally run Choice Band Dragonite over Dragalge since it is one of the best pokemon on Dragon teams, providing great utility with Multiscale, having strong priority, and 2HKOing even the bulkiest walls that don’t resist Outrage with ease.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

However if you still wanted to run Dragalge, which is a fun mon to toy around with, I would Band Dragonite over Kommo-o and give Dragalge Poisinium Z, which is an interesting tech I’ve enjoyed using to OHKO Mega Diancie (which is useful since it can live any hit from it after Stealth Rocks) and nuke certain walls without lowering it’s special attack. Dragalge makes up for losing Kommo-O to break Normal by providing Toxic Spikes, which give Chansey and Porygon 2 big headaches since Staraptor struggles to Defog at all against the insane offensive pressure coming from Dragon teams. However Dragalge is a pretty niche mon so keep in mind it isn’t as easy to find success in compared to something like Kommo-O.

Dragalge @ Poisonium Z
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hope you enjoy the team!
Thank you so much! This really helped me out! I'll try out all of your suggestions and see which one works for me.

If you run Kommo-o you should probably run Poison Jab over Flash cannon. It gets boosted by Dragon Dance and still hits fairies supr effectively. Not to mention that that one actually dents Gardevoir and Sylveon.
Alright, I'll do that!

Hey there! I really like the idea of Toxic Spikes to really make Fairy's day terrible, since they almost never have entry hazard removal. I don't see Dragalge too frequently, so this was real cool to read. I have a couple ideas that should help with the Pokemon you've found are in your threatlist. Before I get into my own thoughts, I'd like to quickly suggest going with Guwahavel's Garchomp Set A. The Focus Sash should help you with being able to force out Pokemon like Mega Diancie that are afraid of being OHKOed if Garchomp's Focus Sash keeps it alive.

Mega Altaria shouldn't use Earthquake. You want to hit Steel- and Poison-types like Heatran and Nidoking with Earthquake. The problem is that Steel teams will have Skarmory and Celesteela, which take 0 damage from Earthquake and next to nothing from Return, and Poison teams will have Mega Venusaur, which similarly takes almost nothing from Mega Altaria's attacks even when boosted. While it would be nice to hit these Pokemon, it won't happen realistically. Instead, I suggest you use Refresh. Refresh allows you to beat walls like Chansey and Porygon2 that will Toxic poison Mega Altaria. It also allows you to importantly get past paralysis problems from Pokemon like Klefki so that you can outspeed Mega Diancie at +1. Because we now have Refresh to beat walls' status moves, we'd actually prefer to have HP EVs to make sure they can't KO you with attacks. If you have no bulk, as you do now, Porygon2 can actually 2HKO Mega Altaria with Ice Beam. We don't want that to happen, so a spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe is best for you. In addition to beating walls, though, having the extra bulk means Mega Altaria is much, much harder for other Dragon-types to take out, so I think this should help you a lot.

Because you have Dragalge providing Toxic Spikes and Mega Altaria, Normal teams should actually be pretty easy for you to handle. As a result, I would suggest changing Kommo-o from a Dragon Dance set to an all-out attacker set that can handle a larger range of threats for you. The set is pretty similar to what you have right now, but it uses Flamethrower instead of Dragon Dance and maximum Special Attack investment instead of Attack investment. With the combination of Flamethrower and Close Combat, Kommo-o is a massive threat to Steel teams, able to OHKO every Pokemon other than Celesteela, which is 2HKOed (I also think this will make you feel a little more safe after dropping Earthquake from Mega Altaria). Maximum Special Attack investment makes Kommo-o strong enough to actually break through Toxapex with ease, one of the threats you mentioned. Of course, this makes your Flash Cannon noticeably stronger against Fairy-types too, since Kommo-o really won't be able to boost against those teams anyway.

One thing you can try with your Dragalge is Poison Barb over Dragon Fang. You note a few calculations for Dragon Fang, but Mega Altaria very easily covers Mega Sableye for your team (it takes out Dark completely effortlessly in general!) and Hippowdon is not a big threat to you either. Poison Barb on the other hand will help your Fairy matchup a lot. For example, Mega Diancie is almost always OHKOed by Sludge Wave, Sitrus Berry and Figy Berry Azumarill are both KOed even with Light Screen up if they Belly Drum, Tapu Koko is OHKOed even with Light Screen support, and Mimikyu is almost always KOed after Stealth Rock damage.

I hope that helps and good luck with the team!
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Dragalge @ Poison Barb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hey there! I really like the idea of Toxic Spikes to really make Fairy's day terrible, since they almost never have entry hazard removal. I don't see Dragalge too frequently, so this was real cool to read. I have a couple ideas that should help with the Pokemon you've found are in your threatlist. Before I get into my own thoughts, I'd like to quickly suggest going with Guwahavel's Garchomp Set A. The Focus Sash should help you with being able to force out Pokemon like Mega Diancie that are afraid of being OHKOed if Garchomp's Focus Sash keeps it alive.

Mega Altaria shouldn't use Earthquake. You want to hit Steel- and Poison-types like Heatran and Nidoking with Earthquake. The problem is that Steel teams will have Skarmory and Celesteela, which take 0 damage from Earthquake and next to nothing from Return, and Poison teams will have Mega Venusaur, which similarly takes almost nothing from Mega Altaria's attacks even when boosted. While it would be nice to hit these Pokemon, it won't happen realistically. Instead, I suggest you use Refresh. Refresh allows you to beat walls like Chansey and Porygon2 that will Toxic poison Mega Altaria. It also allows you to importantly get past paralysis problems from Pokemon like Klefki so that you can outspeed Mega Diancie at +1. Because we now have Refresh to beat walls' status moves, we'd actually prefer to have HP EVs to make sure they can't KO you with attacks. If you have no bulk, as you do now, Porygon2 can actually 2HKO Mega Altaria with Ice Beam. We don't want that to happen, so a spread of 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe is best for you. In addition to beating walls, though, having the extra bulk means Mega Altaria is much, much harder for other Dragon-types to take out, so I think this should help you a lot.

Because you have Dragalge providing Toxic Spikes and Mega Altaria, Normal teams should actually be pretty easy for you to handle. As a result, I would suggest changing Kommo-o from a Dragon Dance set to an all-out attacker set that can handle a larger range of threats for you. The set is pretty similar to what you have right now, but it uses Flamethrower instead of Dragon Dance and maximum Special Attack investment instead of Attack investment. With the combination of Flamethrower and Close Combat, Kommo-o is a massive threat to Steel teams, able to OHKO every Pokemon other than Celesteela, which is 2HKOed (I also think this will make you feel a little more safe after dropping Earthquake from Mega Altaria). Maximum Special Attack investment makes Kommo-o strong enough to actually break through Toxapex with ease, one of the threats you mentioned. Of course, this makes your Flash Cannon noticeably stronger against Fairy-types too, since Kommo-o really won't be able to boost against those teams anyway.

One thing you can try with your Dragalge is Poison Barb over Dragon Fang. You note a few calculations for Dragon Fang, but Mega Altaria very easily covers Mega Sableye for your team (it takes out Dark completely effortlessly in general!) and Hippowdon is not a big threat to you either. Poison Barb on the other hand will help your Fairy matchup a lot. For example, Mega Diancie is almost always OHKOed by Sludge Wave, Sitrus Berry and Figy Berry Azumarill are both KOed even with Light Screen up if they Belly Drum, Tapu Koko is OHKOed even with Light Screen support, and Mimikyu is almost always KOed after Stealth Rock damage.

I hope that helps and good luck with the team!
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Dragalge @ Poison Barb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Thank you so much! You have no idea how helpful this will be for me! I’ll try out your suggestions.

Although Guwahavel did suggest Dragonite over Dragalge. Who is better in your opinion?

Edit: Almost forgot to ask: Wouldn’t Heal Bell be better than Refresh? That way all my teammates can be cured of status, not just Altaria. I mean Kommo-o’s still screwed (Heal Bell doesn’t affect Soundproof Pokémon) but still.

Thank you so much! You have no idea how helpful this will be for me! I’ll try out your suggestions.

Although Guwahavel did suggest Dragonite over Dragalge. Who is better in your opinion?

Edit: Almost forgot to ask: Wouldn’t Heal Bell be better than Refresh? That way all my teammates can be cured of status, not just Altaria.
It's hard to directly compare Dragonite to Dragalge because they do entirely different things. All else equal, Dragonite is generally accepted to be a superior Pokemon because Choice Band-boosted Outrage is so ridiculously strong and priority is always a useful fallback. However, I wouldn't feel pressured to switch it out. It's undeniable that Toxic Spikes is a huge problem for Fairy to deal with (see: Dark teams sometimes uses Toxic Spikes even on Choice Scarf Greninja), so that utility should not be understated. Toxic Spikes is also a tried and true counter to Normal, especially since Staraptor gets OHKOed by Draco Meteor if it even thinks about trying to Defog on you. For your team, I think Dragalge works.

Refresh tends to be superior to Heal Bell on paper simply due to the PP difference. Heal Bell is nice if you want to give your team more support, but having 24 more PP on Refresh makes Mega Altaria itself much more reliable. You could test both options out to see what works better for you and your playstyle, though.

One last thing: Tapu Lele is banned from Monotype, so you don't need to worry about that monster tearing your team to shreds!

It's hard to directly compare Dragonite to Dragalge because they do entirely different things. All else equal, Dragonite is generally accepted to be a superior Pokemon because Choice Band-boosted Outrage is so ridiculously strong and priority is always a useful fallback. However, I wouldn't feel pressured to switch it out. It's undeniable that Toxic Spikes is a huge problem for Fairy to deal with (see: Dark teams sometimes uses Toxic Spikes even on Choice Scarf Greninja), so that utility should not be understated. Toxic Spikes is also a tried and true counter to Normal, especially since Staraptor gets OHKOed by Draco Meteor if it even thinks about trying to Defog on you. For your team, I think Dragalge works.

Refresh tends to be superior to Heal Bell on paper simply due to the PP difference. Heal Bell is nice if you want to give your team more support, but having 24 more PP on Refresh makes Mega Altaria itself much more reliable. You could test both options out to see what works better for you and your playstyle, though.

One last thing: Tapu Lele is banned from Monotype, so you don't need to worry about that monster tearing your team to shreds!
Alrighty then! Thank you so much!

I think I'm going to try out Heal Bell for right now, since I think it would be best for the team. However, I will also try out Refresh!

Thanks for all your help again! You have no clue how helpful it was for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)