SM OU Rate My Team

I just started getting into competitive pokemon and after trying a few teams that I have seen I decided to make my own team. Now before I talk about the pokemon I want to say that the idea for this team was a hail based team, but I soon realized that there wasn't enough ice types to do it so I decided to make the team a little bit different, but while keeping the hail theme in mind so here is what I got.

Aurora (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hypnosis
- Hail

Alolan Ninetails was the main reason why I wanted to make a rain team because I love Alolan Ninetails and the Aurora Veil set was a move that I would have loved to go based off of. This Alola Ninetails uses the most commonly used Alolan Ninetails set and is one of the combos with Jirach. I gave it max speed so that it can always get the Aurora Veil up first and reduce all damage for a limited time which could give me enough time to set up and sweep with Serperior.

Bane (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Kyurem-B was the second pokemon I wanted because of its ice typing it won't get buffed by the hail and with the Aurora Veil up it can reduce the amount of damage I could take from its weaknesses and then hit back hard for an OHKO or the make the opponent switch out. The life orb set for Kyurem-B gives it more power to get the OHKO's on its checks and counters along with just boosting its power to sweeping heights.

Serpaqueen (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

After Kyurem-B I had realized that there were no other ice types in OU so I wanted a secondary sweeper in case Kyruem-B gets removed easily or isn't able to go out for the sweep just yet. The point of this Serperior is that with correct predictions or forced switches it can get a free sub then Leech Seed and start hammering the opponent with a bombardment of Leaf Storms or HP Fire's. I gave it max speed so that it can slither it way to the top of the speed tiers and then I gave it 200 SpA so that you know it's attacks will deal damage and for the last point I put them in HP so that substitute would be stronger and it could live some hits.

Robo Queen (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Magearna was put in so that I could have something to cover Kyruem-B's counters and checks along with providing some type coverage along with a strong fairy type. This set was built with getting its speed up and then using its coverage to help beat a lot of pokemon that could pose a problem for my team. It has Max SpA and Speed so that one shift gear would put it above 600 speed and outspeed all pokemon that haven't already had a speed buff and the SpA so that it can deal some good damage and lastly 4 Def so that it can at least tank a Earthquake and not get OHKO'ed.

Wishing Boi (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Jirachi was picked for my setter because Jirachi is just one of my favorite pokemon so I wanted it on my team in someway and so I made it my setter. The set as I mentioned earlier was to set rocks then U-Turn out into Alolan-Ninetails and set up the Aurora Veil then proceed to make a sweep with the 5 turns given. U-Turn could also combo into Tornadous-T to Defog and entry hazards that my opponent could have set up along with my rocks turn 1, but it could also go into Serperior. Jirachi's other moves are to flinch out the opposing pokemon or healing wish and heal one of the sweepers. I gave it 248 HP and 108 SpD to live and guarantee the rocks and I dropped the rest in speed to try to outspeed slow pokemon and flinch them out with Iron Head.

Not a Copycat (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Last, but not least Tornadus-T was picked because I felt like I needed a defogger to get rid of entry hazards and Tornadus-T looked like the best pokemon for that job. The set is to Defog hazards then Knock Off their items and then U-Turn out into whatever pokemon suits the current situation. I gave it 252 HP and Speed to outspeed and live hits to make sure the defog goes off and 4 in Def to tank rock type moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: reopened

Last edited:
Hey Syn_Wolf, I like the fact that you decided to build Veil which is, imo, a very underrated playstyle atm. However, I can see that you used some awkward team choices such as Kyurem-B and Jirachi which don't really fit a Veil team's purpose which is setting up the Aurora Veil and start breaking with multiple set-up sweepers and these2 mons are underwhelming for a team like this. Some sets like Defensive Lando don't really fit this team either so here are my suggestions:

->
- As I already mentioned, Kyurem-B doesn't fit this HO team which is why I'm suggesting SD Mawile which does what Kyurem-B does in breaking fatter teams in a way that fits this team better. It greatly appreciates Veil support to set-up an SD on more pokemons and can proceed to sweep after that. It also possesses a much better synergy with your team members, helping to break spdef walls better, which are troublesome to Serperior and Magearna.

->
- My second change is to replace Jirachi by Zygarde which is another wincon that naturally fits HO teams. It is very helpful against every types of teams and also helps against pokemons such as Zygarde in extreme situations. The set that fits best on these types of teams which is also the on I recommend is the Dual Dance set with Iapapa Berry which boosts allows Zygarde to boost both its speed, attack and defense, making it almost unbreakable, especially under veil.

- Minor change here but I'd suggest to make your Lando a suicide lead set with Earthquake | Explosion | Stealth Rock | Imprison as its moveset and Focus Sash as its item to set up hazards early in the game while also keeping rocks off your side thanks to imprison.

- Finally, I'd make Magearna a Dual Dance set by doing Calm Mind over Thunderbolt, which is the set that fits best on these kinds of HOs as it takes full advantage of Veil, allowing it to boost up as much as it can with its increased defense. Calm Mind makes Magearna much stronger and improves its sweeping potential which is why I'm suggesting you that.

Importable

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)