Residual Damage in Future Sight and its equivalents

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread is moderated to keep discussion on track.

Future Sight description per NDA:
The Pokémon uses its mind to summon a delayed telekinetic attack that strikes at the end of the first action of the next round. The attack uses any stat boosts/drops the Pokemon had at the time the move was initially called, as well as the Special Attack of the original user. The damage is considered residual, and will faint a Pokemon using Endure.
I bolded the last sentence because it is relevant to the scope of our discussion. When we consider a direct attack's damage as "residual", how will it interact with multiple other Abilities and/or moves? Refer to user Elevator Music's list of questions below:
- Should it be affected by Magic Guard?
- Should it be blocked by Protect/etc?
- How does it interact with Substitute?
- Should its damage be capped by Focus Band?
User Frosty raised a valid point to refer to Bulbapedia as starters, so here's what Bulbapedia offered:
Generations II to IV
The damage dealt uses the Special Attack stat of the user and Special Defense stat of the target at the time of move selection (not at the time the attack actually hits; if the target is switched out, the attack will hit its replacement but the damage is based on the original target Pokémon). Damage dealt by Future Sight does not have a type; it is not affected by type effectiveness (so can hit Dark-type Pokémon), does not receive STAB, and can hit Pokémon with Wonder Guard.
Future Sight cannot land a critical hit and its damage is not increased by Life Orb. Future Sight is not affected by protection moves or Endure. A Pokémon holding a Focus Band or Focus Sash can survive Future Sight.

Generation V
Future Sight now calculates its damage when it hits rather than when it is selected. Future Sight uses the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defense at the time damage is dealt. It now inflicts damage as a Psychic-type move; therefore, it is affected by type effectiveness (so cannot affect Dark-type Pokémon), can receive STAB, and will not necessarily hit through Wonder Guard. If the user has Normalize or was affected by Electrify when Future Sight hits, it hits as a Normal- or Electric-type move respectively (regardless of whether this was the case when the move was used); however, it cannot be redirected by Lightning Rod even if it is an Electric-type move. Future Sight can now land a critical hit. A Pokémon can now endure Future Sight with Endure or Sturdy, in addition to the Focus Sash and Focus Band.
Nothing changed from Gen 5 onward, save BAP scaling. So, now that we're armed with information, questions incoming below:
  • Should full adherence to in-cartridge be absolutely necessary? If not, how should we deviate from that?
  • How should the questions raised by EM be addressed?
  • Is there any other possible mechanic interaction that was not but should be covered here?
Bear in mind, the changes to Future Sight also affect other moves with damage considered as "residual", EM had noted that it includes Doom Desire and Egg Bomb (Trap). So, uh, I'll track in OP if necessary. Fire away ^_^

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just keep it how it is ingame

I second emma's suggestion as far as endure is concerned because endure is a big thing in ASB. But for everything else, go the least resisted route and copy ingame IMO.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, given that 2 Council members (myself and Jjayy) likes the posts above, plus the scant discussion, I'm giving this 48 more hours until we adjourn. If a third Council member likes both the posts above, let's just skip the Voting-thread-making process and implement everything based on in-cartridge, per Bulbapedia's description, shall we?

EDIT: Dangit Council members you really don't know how to take a hint. Slate below.
Aside from the interaction with Endure, should Future Sight (and related moves) follow in-cartridge?
a) Yes, I'm copy-pasting this because I didn't like in Discussion
b) No, and I deserved to be lynched for not saying this earlier

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)