move 2: Rock Blast / Stone Edge / Rock Wrecker
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Rock Wrecker / Hammer Arm / Swords Dance
item: Weakness Policy / Assault Vest
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Due to Rhyperior's plethora of weaknesses coupled with an excellent ability in Solid Rock, Rhyperior is a prime candidate for a Weakness Policy set. Earthquake and Fire Punch are Rhyperior's main tools, the former being its main STAB move and hitting Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Toxapex super effectively and the latter threatening Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Rock Blast and Stone Edge are generally used as Rock type STAB moves outside of Dynamax form. Rock Blast allows Rhyperior to KO Mimikyu with Disguise up and ignore Focus Sash while Stone Edge is generally more powerful and can critical hit but is more inaccurate. The last move can be either Rock Wrecker, Hammer Arm, or Swords Dance. Rock Wrecker is valued for its high Base Power Max Rockfall, which allows Rhyperior to OHKO Dynamaxed Moxie Gyarados and have a decent chance to OHKO Toxapex. Hammer Arm hits Hydreigon and Snorlax hard and can be used to slow Rhyperior down in Trick Room as well as give Attack boosts whilst in Dynamax form. Swords Dance provides more sweeping potential, as Rhyperior can set up on some physical attackers such as Mimikyu. Rhyperior does have the ability to soak up super effective attacks but struggles with strong special hits, especially Water- and Grass-type attacks. Therefore, it likes having teammates that can pivot into and soak these hits such as Rotom-W and Rotom-C, which are also immune to Ground-type attacks. Ferrothorn and, to a lesser extent, Hydreigon and Dragapult deal with Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and can be considered as teammates. Lastly, Rhyperior really benefits from Trick Room and therefore a setter such as Mimikyu is advised if you are running this archetype.

Other options in terms of items for Rhyperior include Life Orb and Assault Vest, both of which it can pull off effectively. When using Assault Vest, Rhyperior can run maximum Special Defense over HP for better special bulk, which will allow Rhyperior to survive +2 Max Starfall from Togekiss. On Trick Room teams, consider running a Brave nature with 0 Speed IVs to be as slow as possible.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Ika Ika Musume, 165529]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [Psynergy, 248085]]
- Grammar checked by: [[lotiasite, 302985]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
name: Weakness Policy
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Rock Wrecker / Stone Edge / Rock Blast
move 4: Hammer Arm / Ice Punch / Swords Dance
item: Weakness Policy

Due to Rhyperior's plethora of type weaknesses coupled with an excellent ability in Solid Rock which reduces damage taken from Super Effective hits, Rhyperior is a prime candidate for Weakness Policy sets. Earthquake and Fire Punch are Rhyperior's main tools, the former being its main STAB hitting Tyranitar, Excadrill and Toxapex super effectively and the latter threatening Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Rock Wrecker is valued for its high base power Max Rockfall which allows Rhyperior to OHKO dynamaxed Moxie Gyarados, though Stone Edge and Rock Blast can also be used as Rock Type Stabs. The last move can be either Swords Dance, Hammer Arm or Ice Punch, depending on whether more coverage against Snorlax and Hydreigon is valued or more threat. Rhyperior does have the ability to soak up super effective attacks, but struggles with strong special hits, especially water type hits, therefore it likes having teammates that can both pivot into it and soak these hits such as Rotom-Wash.

Other options in terms of items for Rhyperior include Life Orb and Assault Vest, both of which it can pull off effectively.
Finally time for me to check this!

So I'd change the moveset a bit, here's what I'd do:

name: Bulky Physical Attacker
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Blast / Rock Wrecker
move 3: Fire Punch / Hammer Arm

-So my reasoning for this is: as great as Rock Wrecker is, I don't think it should be your sole Rock-type STAB most of the time, since Rhyperior is still good when not Dynamaxed! You can still do this if you really want maximum coverage and figure you're only going to Dynamax it though.

-Another great thing about Rock Wrecker btw: it has a 73% shot of OHKOing Dynamax Togekiss, which rules! This is why I have assault vest slashed in too: if you use it with maximum Special Defense investment instead of HP (this should be mentioned as an alternate EV spread for AV), you actually survive +2 Togekiss Max Starfall WITHOUT even Dynamaxing!

-For Hammer Arm I'd mention that the attack boost it gives you while Dynamaxed is pretty useful.

-I'd mention Brave and 0 Speed for using Rhyperior on Trick Room teams, since it tends to be a centerpiece on those kinds of teams.

-I got rid of Ice Punch, since I don't think Ice coverage makes that much sense on Rhyperior when the dragons take a ton from Rock-type moves, and it does just as much to Hippowdon as Earthquake anyways.

-I think you should go more into detail about teammates that resist grass and water type attacks for Rhyperior than Rotom-W. Rotom-C is a pretty great one since it also has an Earthquake immunity, Ferrothorn beats up a lot of water and grass mons, Dragapult and Hydreigon work alright vs most Water and Grass mons (though not against Whimsicott but most of those dont run grass moves anyways).

Once you implement this stuff, consider this QC Approved 1/2!

Done, I agree about Rock Wrecker, I only slashed it first because certain people advocated it that way in the discord. Ive added a few things about TR teammates as well. Yea Ice Punch shouldnt be there.

I have a few more things to potentially add onto this which I will put by QC before saying anything more, which is Rock Polish.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Alright so since this thing got some hype lately so let's get this checked real quick.

I wouldn't run Hammer Arm over Fire Punch in any situation personally, if I want Hammer Arm I'd use it alongside Fire Punch in the last slot so I'd remove it from the 3rd slot. Not an amazing Max Move either which hurts, but Hammer Arm itself is fine.

I'm also personally not a fan of Stone Edge but I think the order of slashes on the second slot is fine as well, Rock Wrecker as the only Rock STAB is perfectly fine but a bit high-risk high-reward so I'm not sure I'd necessarily slash it over Stone Edge. Kinda nitpicky so I'm not fussed about the order there beyond Rock Blast staying first.

This looks good to me otherwise though, just add the [SET] and [SET COMMENTS] tags appropriately and this looks QC 2/2 to me.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Due to Rhyperior's plethora of weaknesses coupled with an excellent ability in Solid Rock, Rhyperior is a prime candidate for a Weakness Policy set. Earthquake and Fire Punch are Rhyperior's main tools, the former being its main STAB move hitting Tyranitar, Excadrill and Toxapex super effectively and the latter threatening Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Stone Edge and Rock Blast are generally used as Rock Type STAB moves outside of Dynamax form. The last move can be either Rock Wrecker, Hammer Arm or Swords Dance. Rock Wrecker is valued for its high base power Max Rockfall which allows Rhyperior to OHKO dynamaxed Moxie Gyarados and a decent chance to OHKO Toxapex. Hammer Arm hits Hydreigon and Snorlax hard and can be used to slow Rhyperior down in Trick Room as well as give Attack boosts whilst in Dynamax Form. Swords Dance provides more sweeping potential as Rhyperior can set up on some physical attackers such as Mimikyu. Rhyperior does have the ability to soak up super effective attacks, but struggles with strong special hits, especially Water- and Grass type attacks. Therefore, it likes having teammates that can pivot into it and soak these hits such as Rotom-W and Rotom-C which are also immune to Ground-type attacks. Ferrothorn, and to a lesser extent, Hydreigon and Dragapult deal with Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and can be considered as teammates. Lastly, Rhyperior really benefits from Trick Room and therefore a setter such as Mimikyu is advised if you are running this archetype.

Other options in terms of items for Rhyperior include Life Orb and Assault Vest, both of which it can pull off effectively. When using Assault Vest, Rhyperior can run max Special Defense over HP for better Special Bulk which will allow you to survive +2 Max Starfall from Togekiss. On Trick Room teams, consider running Brave Nature with 0 Speed IVs to be as slow as possible.
"Both" to talk about 3+ things was bad so deleted. We don't need to explain what Solid Rock does so that's deleted. I fixed some commas. Otherwise I only changed the Pokegrammar which is like whatever.

Using this as a bump to mark this as a priority analysis.

Last edited:

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

[SET]
name: Bulky Physical Attacker
move 2: Rock Blast / Stone Edge / Rock Wrecker
move 3: Fire Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Due to Rhyperior's plethora of weaknesses coupled with an excellent ability in Solid Rock, Rhyperior is a prime candidate for a Weakness Policy set. Earthquake and Fire Punch are Rhyperior's main tools, the former being its main STAB move and hitting Tyranitar, Excadrill, (AC) and Toxapex super effectively and the latter threatening Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Stone Edge and Rock Blast are generally used as Rock T-(AH)type STAB moves outside of Dynamax form. (which one should i use and why) The last move can be either Rock Wrecker, Hammer Arm, (AC) or Swords Dance. Rock Wrecker is valued for its high base p-(AH)Base Power Max Rockfall, (AC) which allows Rhyperior to OHKO dDynamaxed Moxie Gyarados and have a decent chance to OHKO Toxapex. Hammer Arm hits Hydreigon and Snorlax hard and can be used to slow Rhyperior down in Trick Room as well as give Attack boosts whilst in Dynamax Fform. Swords Dance provides more sweeping potential, (AC) as Rhyperior can set up on some physical attackers such as Mimikyu. Rhyperior does have the ability to soak up super effective attacks, (RC) but struggles with strong special hits, especially Water- and Grass-(AH)type attacks. Therefore, it likes having teammates that can pivot into it and soak these hits such as Rotom-W and Rotom-C, (AC) which are also immune to Ground-type attacks. Ferrothorn, and, (AC) to a lesser extent, Hydreigon and Dragapult deal with Water- and Grass-type Pokemon and can be considered as teammates. Lastly, Rhyperior really benefits from Trick Room and therefore a setter such as Mimikyu is advised if you are running this archetype.

Other options in terms of items for Rhyperior include Life Orb and Assault Vest, both of which it can pull off effectively. When using Assault Vest, Rhyperior can run maximum Special Defense over HP for better Special Bulkspecial bulk, (AC) which will allow youRhyperior to survive +2 Max Starfall from Togekiss. On Trick Room teams, consider running a Brave Nnature with 0 Speed IVs to be as slow as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)