SM OU RMT(First OU Team)

This is my first time making an OU team and I think it’s pretty mediocre with a 63% win rate.Whether my team is poorly made or I am just bad at making strategies while playing is something I don’t know.Advice and Suggestions are needed.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

I choose Ferrothorn due to its massive bulk and I was in need of a bulky hazard setter.I send it as the first Pokemon every battle since it can get hazards set up quickly.I switch it in on common Pokemon like Greninja and Tapu Koko in order to threaten the opponent to switch out/or OHKO it.I choose spikes as the hazard I use to set up since it can cripple the opposing team’s Pokemon.Leech seed is used as the second way to do quick healing(first is the leftovers).Power whip is used for its great STAB and Knock Off to rid items off of the user’s Pokemon.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

I choose Defensive Landorus T to be the Stealth Rock setter.It usually is the follow up to Ferrothorn so it can set up stealth rock to cripple the opponent even more.Earthquake is one of Landorus T best move and deals damage to all types of Pokémon.Hidden Power Ice deals damage to and U-turn to sufficiently switch out while dealing some damage.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

I choose Gengar to be the Special Sweeper and to provide good coverage.After the hazards have been set,Gengar comes in to sweep and take care of Pokemon Lopunny can’t.Shadow Ball is a great STAB move that is capable of sweeping through one or two Pokemon.Sludge Wave is another move with STAB to hit Pokemon that can resist Shadow Ball.Focus Blast is used to threaten Pokémon like Tyranitar and Magnezone to switch,and Taunt is used in order to slowly take out defensive Pokemon.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

I choose Lopunny to serve as the Physical Sweeper due to it’s high attack and speed.After the two setters(Ferrothorn & Landorus),Lopunny comes in to sweep and is capable of defeating 2-3 Pokemon.Return does great damage to any Pokemon with its STAB.High Jump Kick has great STAB and is capable of doing OHKO if the opposing Pokemon has been crippled by the hazards.Power Punch is used as a good way to raise Attack to ensure OHKOs or 2HKOs and Ice Punch is used to hit Pokemon like Zygarde and Garchomp.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

I choose Kyurem B to help with the coverage my team lacks for.Gengar can’t take defensive Pokemon out on its own,Kyurem B switches in to threaten or deal damage to the defensive Pokemon.Though Freeze Shock can be unreliable since it takes two turns to do,in addition with Icium Z it can OHKO Pokémon.Fusion Bolt is a move that can KO a lot of the Pokémon due to its high power.Ice Beam has it’s reliable STAB to hit Pokémon since Z Moves can only be used once.Earth Power is used to do great damage to some of the common Pokémon found in battles.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

I choose Tapu Fini as I was in need of a Hazer and a Fairy Type.If the opposing team set up Stealth Rock,I send in Tapu Fini to defog the hazards since Stealth Rock can cripple Landorus T badly(Downfall is that the hazards play a big role in my battles).Taunt is used in case the opposing team sends in its hazard setter to put the hazards back up.Nature’s Madness is used to deal great damage on the opposing Pokemon,Moonblast has reliable STAB and both can do great damage onto dragon and dark type Pokemon.

Hello!

I think you're team looks pretty neat. It's also not too bad for a first time OU team, but I have a few suggestions that I believe will help you a lot.

The first one is to run Scarf Latios > Tapu Fini. Latios gives you emergency defog (You're team isn't too weak to hazards, but defog is still nice to have). It also gives you a form of speed control, something you currently do not have.
Here's the set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

My next suggestion is to change Kyurem-B to Toxapex. Being that you are now without a water type, pex is appreciated here. It lessens the pressure Heatran puts on your team, along with being a secondary switch in to things like Greninja, Kartana, Bulu, ect. It also prevents Keldeo from busting holes everywhere. Additionally, it forms a nice backbone with Ferrothorn and Lando.
Here's the set:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

My final suggestion is something a little more fun and interesting, but fits really well on your team.
Z-Thunder Lure Gengar. This set is really nifty because it still hits pretty hard, but now you can lure in threats such as Toxapex (making Lopunny's life easier) or Celesteela (making Lati AND Lop's lives easier), both of which are difficult for your team to break, especially together (which is a very common core). It can also be a simple little nuke assuming there nothing you need to lure.
Here's the set:
Gengar @ Electrium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Good luck with your team, Friend!!

Hello HanaFandoms, that's a pretty cool team you've got there! It kind of looks like a mid-sm team which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it might struggle against some of the metagame-defining threats at the moment. But overall, I would say this team was well structured and doesn't need many changes to cover some of its weaknesses. Going into the team's more specific weaknesses, I think it struggles a lot against Flying-types such as Tornadus-T and M-Pinsir against which you haven't got a solid switchin. They can beat both Ferrothorn, Landorus-T and Tapu Fini. Your matchup against Ground-types isn't great either and although you've got a Landorus-T, a Ferrothorn and a Tapu Fini, neither of them can reliably take on a Zygarde (especially Weakness Policy and Coil). Fire-types threaten your team a lot too, and Heatran and Volcarona especially. The former easily comes in on Ferrothorn and clicks Magma Storm (bops fini too if grassium) and Volcarona can straight up sweep this team. M-Scizor is another pokemon that can sweep your team as it easily comes in and setsup on Ferrothorn / Landorus-T and it's very hard for you to stop it after some boosts. Here are my suggestions to cover these issues:

->
- Although Tapu Fini offers you some good resistances, it really isn't able to check threats such as Greninja and Heatran reliably due to how easily it gets shut down. For this team, I believe a more reliable Fire- and Water-check is necessary and Toxapex fullfills that criteria. Thanks to its amazing bulk, typing and regenerator, it can easily help you to pivot around these mons. The set I'm suggesting is the Payapa Berry one with Scald | Toxic | Recover | Haze as well as a 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD spread which allows it to take High Jump Kick -> Zen Headbutt from M-Medicham while maximizing its spdef bulk. This mon also improves your matchup against M-Scizor.

->
- Gengar is a pokemon that has really dropped in viability and even more now with pokemons like Weavile and Gastrodon being as good as ever. It also doesn't offer much utility to this team either. With a Kyurem-B on this team, you are capable of breaking fatter teams and this slot should be used for something that is able of assisting it as well as the rest of your team in doing its job. This is why I'm suggesting Defog Koko as a replacement since you don't have Fini anymore. This mon not only provides you a defogger but also a great check to Flying-types as well as Toxic Spikes Toxapex that is still able to maintain offensive pressure. The set I'm suggesting is Thunderbolt | U-turn | Roost | Defog with a 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe Timid spread and Leftovers as its item of choice. The spread allows it to take a Psychic from M-Latios from full after sr damages. It should also be noted that Electric Terrain powers up Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt, which is useful against pokemons like Toxapex, Heatran and M-Scizor.

: On Ferrothorn, I would suggest a very minor tweak in Gyro Ball > Knock Off in order to actually threaten Zygarde as well as Tornadus-T, thing you couldn't do with Knock Off. Also, I'd change it's spread to 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD as it allows it to not be 2HKOed by +1 Thousand Arrows from Zygarde.

(optional): This change is really up to you and your preference but personally, I'd change Lando's spread to one that allows it to outspeed Heatran. 108 HP / 252 Def / 148 Spe Jolly is the one I use for that purpose. Full def > full hp improves rolls against most physical attackers; most notably Kartana.

(optional): Another optional change in Substitute > Earth Power on Kyurem-B as it allows you to set-up on passive mons such as Toxapex and Zapdos without risking status, although you miss on hitting Heatran but Fusion Bolt (especially under Electric Terrain) is usually enough. It's up to you tho, which is why it's only optional. Another possible change is Electrium Z > Icium Z and HP Fire > Freeze Shock along with Subtitute to lure stuffs like M-Scizor and Toxapex better for M-Lopunny. Icium Z is very nice though so choose the one you prefer.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Toxapex: 114-135 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Payapa Berry Toxapex: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Ferrothorn: 148-175 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Ferrothorn: 147-174 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 186-219 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 130-154 (36.3 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Landorus-Therian: 184-217 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 108 HP / 252 Def Landorus-Therian: 160-189 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Electric Terrain: 191-225 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran in Electric Terrain: 342-403 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 137-162 (39.9 - 47.2%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 245-289 (71.4 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 276-326 (91 - 107.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 332-392 (109.5 - 129.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery (without electric terrain)

Importables: 1 | 2

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)