ORAS OU Rubber Soul

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

I know this doesn’t sound like an ideal introduction because it doesn't show the main teambuilding process of this team in specific, but the chronologic influence of it. The main ideia came in parallel with a squad that I've spammed a lot during OLT | ladder | Season 20~21 of stour very similiar to an another squad that Cosine180 used (my variant was composed or Rocks TW Clef | Mega Venusaur | Scarftar | Stallbreaker Gliscor | Air Balloon HP Ice Tran | CM Slowking), which helped me to peak #1 in the ladder during OLT (although i was laddering for fun, not to pick playoffs) and peaked me to peak #1 on the regular ladder a few months ago, and was pretty important to make me reach stour finals twice (although i lucked out during a Season 21 ORAS tour) and clinch playoffs during Season 20, proving to be every effective in ladder | tour games alike.

My variation of this first balanced team focused on the idea of Heatran + bulky-set up sweeper. I didn't want to slap a Venutran core and make the team somewhat overly simple (a common misconception people tend to have, they judge these kind of builds as """semistall""" with some blanket checks to a lot of shit). The two main ideas that I had where Magma Storm Tran + Bulky Ground-type and Mega Venusaur + Pursuit. The former was very effective during OLT, because Heatran has an amazing offensive potential vs Stall teams (people used to run Goth Stall a lot back then) and it helps me to weaken Bulky-waters so Gliscor has an easier time sweeping (my first variant was SD instead of Taunt), and both Rotom-w and Slowbro being removed can be helpful to CM Slowking. Also, I've used Slokwing instead of Slowbro because its special bulk is very important to avoid potential 2HKO from specific threats like Tornadus-Therian, Alakazam and Mega Diancie, it’s pretty anti-metagame as well !_!. I've always liked to play with a strong defensive backbone, but i hate to think of a team based only on defensive synergy. This team has a lot of the same concepts as the team that I previously mentioned, as well as being strongly influenced by standard Bulky Sandstorm teams from BW.

Unlike the previous squad, i really consider this build mine and it's one of my favorite teams. It combines important elements from my favorite playstyle (Balance) with a few tweaks and combinations, so it doesn't sound like a bunch of recycled ideas. Like i said before, the first squad was really influent (and some BW aspects too...), and i kept the idea of having an utility & lure mon + a wallbreaker + a combination of a bulky set-up sweepers. This team focuses in a lot of strategies, but the main goal is usually to sweep with Clefable, one of the best bulky set-up sweepers in ORAS OU (that doesn't mean you should always try to win with Clefable), as Scarf Gengar and Lati are excellent teammates to handle offensive squads with Spikes support, whith Tyranitar being more dedicated to breaking Stall and Balanced defensive cores alike.

To maximize clefables chances of sweeping I put some standard and unorthodox combinations. For example, Clefable is amazing with spikes support because it allows me to weaken Mega Scizor, Excadrill and Mega Metagross in the long run (a similiar strat to BW Reuniclus or Zam + Spikes), and the unorthodox ideas were Scarf Gengar, a pretty specific but valuable set on this team, and Thunder Wave Mega Latias (TWave is a standard nowadays, but whatever). Both Pokémon are very important not because of their sinergy with Clefable and Tyranitar, but because they punish really lot of Clefable switch-ins very often. Paralyzed Bisharp, Skarmory, Heatran, Skarmory, and Metagross are very limited answers to Clefable in the long run, especially with Spikes support. Still, I wanted to keep a more /direct/ approach. The first combo of this team was Specs Gengar + Scarf Tyranitar, but i had a lot of problems. I've used Specs Gengar to Punish Stall builds, but, recently Weavile became a common sight on Stall teams, so Gengar failed to make reliable trades (that was more comfortable vs Sheddy Stall and Goth Stall though, and that would make me even more weak to Talonflame). By changing Specs > Scarf on Gengar and Scarf > Band on Tyranitar I had a good form of speed control and a way to lure some Clefable checks AND give me an important surprise factor against a couple of threats like Manaphy and Volcarona, whereas Tyranitar could punish a paralyzed Rachi, and CB Ttar's sheer power was really appreciated, because it would avoid giving Talonflame a second chance to switch-in (if i manage to win the coinflip), and it's an amazing tool to weaken Heatran via Pursuit, pressure a lot of Stall builds, and circumvent Defog issues with the Latis. The last member of the team was Seismitoad. I know that it is kind of a shitty mon, but it provides important role compression. The former members were Garchomp and Swampert. Although Garchomp was amazing to weaken Bisharp and Scizor, that would make my team insanely weak vs Pursuit + Keldeo common cores and Thundurus too, so I went with Swampert instead, as it gives me a backup check against Zard X without being weak to Electric-types. Again, i had a variety of issues. I didn't want to be that weak against a couple of uprising trends (Double status Rotom-W, or Volturn + wallbreaker since it rapes fat squads), so I've changed it to Seismitoad. Toad isn't an ideal Keldeo or Manaphy answer but the Water-immunity + SR + VS immunity were pretty important, and its job as a backup answer vs Thundurus and Talon is very appreciated. So, the main version of this team was created, helping me during Season 20 (although I didn't use it too much during this season), and it peaked #1 on the ladder as well.

Before going to the explanation and the threat list, i need to say this team is kinda flexible, and you can give a tweak on your EVs for Clef and Skarm (Full Def Clef is a good switch-in vs Mega Medicham and Heracross, and full SpD Skarmory is important vs Mega Garde and Zam, but it makes Weavile and Bisharp 10x more threatening, Shed Shell is an option as well) as it helps you cover specific threats more reliably, and I put the variations that I felt more comfortable with. This is more of a showcase than a r(ate) m(y) t(eam) to be honest, so i won't be open-minded for suggestions unless they look very useful for the team structure.

Clefable @ Leftovers *** Dear Prudence (
)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP | 160 Def | 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs:
0 Atk
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Flamethrower
Soft-Boiled

Clefable is basically one of best win conditions in the tier (if not the best win condition), and provides me a lot of important roles. It's very good to echo what i said before; The team is centered mainly around Clefable, but Clefable is also a part of the team, not the whole team. There are gonna be plenty of matchups where you're going to play with Clefable as a defensive glue and answer against various forms of status (Scald), as well as a consistent check to threats like Lati@s, Mega Lopunny and Mega Diancie.

I've decided to use Calm Mind + Flamethrower because it synergyzes with my team concept. TWave Mega Latias shares a lot of common targets, like Jirachi, Heatran, Bisharp, and Metagross, and i really need the Flamethrower to grab a quick 2HKO | OHKO after a boost against these threats. There's some threats like Talonflame and Heatran which check Flamethrower Clef reliably, but Tyranitar is pretty good at removing them for Clefable. There are other options like BoltBeam, but Flamethrower Clef is the superior choice here most of the time.

My spread is standard, with a higher jump on SpD to minimize the Scald rolls from Keldeo, assuming a Clefable without Leftovers. Its special bulk avoids the 2HKO com Thundurus’ Thunderbolt, Kyurem-B's Ice Beam, LO Tornadus’ Hurricane. The remaining EVs help Clefable in avoiding a likely 2HKO from Latios' Psyshock and Mega Lopunny's Return. There are a couple of tweaks that you can do to this Clefable, like making it to Full Def, allowing it to check Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross. It's reccomended to put Skarmory Full SpD if you change Clefable's spread.

Latias @ Latiasite *** Michelle (
)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP | 32 Def | 12 SpA | 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs:
0 Atk
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Roost
Thunder Wave

Mega Lati is extremely useful in this meta, and I really like the weight that Mega Latias pulls vs Offense, especially because of its targets. Latias is extremely reliable at providing Thunder Wave support, because there aren't decent answers at all. Even if the opponent pivots their Ground-type, BoltBeam coverage discourages the switch-in of Pokémon like Gliscor, Landorus-Therian, and Garchomp. Electric-types are walled by Latias (and the rest of the team as well), so it does her job with complete efficiency. Also, Latias itself is a wonderful Pokémon, giving me a very good check to threats such as Keldeo, Tornadus-Therian, Breloom, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Volcanion.

There are a few variants that I tested with (BoltBeam + HP Fighting, BoltBeam + Reflect Type), but at the end of the day Thunder Wave ended up being the best variant, because Reflect Type doesn't prevent Bisharp from being a menace with SD, and HP Fighting isn't ideal because, while it hits a couple targets (Bisharp and Tyranitar) it fails to debilitate Heatran and Jirachi. BoltBeam is extremely important (at least on this team i would never use Dual STAB). I need Thunderbolt because it hits every target that i want, and i need to maximize my chances of winning vs Manaphy, Belly Drum Azuma, and SubCM Keldeo, whereas Ice Beam allows me to easily punish a lot of Thunder Wave immunities.

I use 12 EVs in Special Attack to maximize Thunderbolt rolls vs Manaphy and Belly Drum Azuma, 2HKOing the former with a 95%~ roll, and taking 60%~ from the later, killing it after some prior residual damage (Rocky Helmet, SR, Spikes). My speed investment outspeeds Base 105 mons (Mega Pinsir), even though opting for full speed or +108 mons is perfectly fine. There are lower benchmarks, like 102 (Garchomp), but you should always keep it higher than Base 100s.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet *** Drive My Car (
)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP | 236 Def | 24 Spe
Impish Nature
Spikes
Iron Head
Roost
Whirlwind

Unlike Latias, Skarmory provides a more direct support, focused on the sinergy and defensive aspect of the team, but that does not mean Skarmory should be taken lightly. In this slot, I wanted to work with Spikes support, and my main options were Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Skarmory. Ferrothorn is more reliable vs Kyu-B and Manaphy, but it (as well as Klefki) would make Excadrill and Scizor turn my life into hell. Skarmory can switch-in and take advantage of Clefable's physical offensive checks like Bisharp, Metagross and Excadrill thanks to Rocky Helmet, and Spikes support is extremely important in the long run (so i'm able to weaken better more dedicated answers to clefable like Amoonguss and Nidoking), and in this team at least, Skarmory is the best source of role compression.

This set is completely standard, and you can run Counter to hit Bisharp and surprise kill Mega Scizor without resorting to Flamethrower Clefable, but it's too situational. If i run Counter, that makes Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie even more threatening (although PhysDef Skam is mediocre vs Gard), but the main problem is Clefable, because Lati TWave + Iron Head checks it handily. I need Spikes more than Defog because my team has 4 Spikes immunities, one SR resistance | immunity , and nothing takes 25% from it. Plus, it's Spikes, it invites your opponent to Defog or Spin, and this team has the perfect tools to cover every common Spinner or Defoger. Skarmory hard walls Excadrill, whereas CB Ttar Pursuits Lati@s and Starmie, Gengar spinblocks Tentacruel, etc.

If you run full SpD or a mixed spread, Leftovers or Shed Shell are usually superior to Rocky Helmet because Modest Garde, Zam and Gengar can still do a bunch of damage and you need to avoid the free 2HKO at all costs. I tend to interchange Clefable and Skarmory's spreads (Def on Clef, and SpD on Skarmory), but the original version is safer because Band Tyranitar doesn't revenge kill Bisharp, and Weavile and Bisharp are more common choices at teambuilding than Gengar and Zam.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band *** Revolver (
)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Def | 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
Pursuit
Stone Edge
Crunch
Ice Punch

Choice Band Tyranitar is insanely scary. I've considered a lot of wallbreakers like CB Terrakion and LO Torn-T, but Tyranitar was chosen above everything else because it provides a lot of different roles. Besides breaking defensive cores, i need its access to Pursuit, which removes Lati@s and Starmie making me able to lay Spikes after they Defog, it also helps me remove a lot of Clefable checks like Heatran, Talonflame, Victini, weakened Chansey and paralyzed Jirachi. The extra special bulk on Sand Stream is pretty important (and the Sand itself as well) because it helps me vs the Rain matchup and allows me to play more agressively against Mega Venusaur, something that Scarf and support Ttar can't do. Also, its combination of STABs are damn good; I know that Keldeo and Landorus-Therian are ORAS OU staples, but vs Balance and Stall builds, CB Ttar pulls a massive weight, especially because simultaneous Dark- and Rock-resists in the ORAS metagame are really scarce if you don't slap a Keldeo. Unfortunately using Band Tyranitar means losing a bit of utility (not using Scarf or Chople makes you sistematically weak against Gengar, Zam, and Mega Pinsir), so using well Mega Latias' paralyze support is very important to maximize Tyranitar's offensive potential.

This moveset has a standard combination of Pursuit + strong Dual-STAB + coverage, and Ice Punch is interchangeable with Iron Head, if you want to go for the direct damage (Moonblast doesn't to /that/ much vs Tyranitar). Anyways, the rest of it is essential, because CB Stone Edge 2HKOes Skarmory after rocks (you can fish for the crit too), and Crunch has a good chance of 2HKOing Quagsire, especially because people drop a bit of Def to use Curse Quag on some Stall teams, also Crunch is completely necessary because there are some scenarios that i'm gonna need the immediate damage vs Mew and Mega Slowbro, if my opponent expects a deffensive variant.

My spread isn't completely standard, but it isn't too complicated either. I've calculated its EVs to always survive a +1 EQ from Zard X without rocks, and a +1 Dragon Claw after rocks. My speed benchmark hits a number a bit higher than common slow Base 80~85s, helping me outpace Mega Venusaur, opposing Tyranitar, DDD Altaria, Suicune (you can increase the speed creep here if you want), and Mandibuzz. Full speed is perfectly considerable if you're paranoid about killing Rotom-Wash asap, but Rotom is a deadweight against this team, so it shouldn't be a concern.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf *** You Won't See Me (
)
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs:
0 Atk
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Focus Blast
Trick

Much like Seismitoad, Gengar was assigned to fill some holes, while still helping Mega Latias and Clefable. At this point, i didn't want to rely solely on Skarmory to handle threats like Garchomp, Mega Altaria because there are common strategies including Zone trapping, so i wanted to play with an emmergency button. I know, this isn't DPP and people shouldn't worry that much about speed control at this point, but Gengar fills niches that no other Pokémon can. It gives me a second answer against Fairies (mainly Clefable and Altaria), it spinblocks, gives me a plan B button against threats like Serperior, DD Zard X; and probably the most important, it lures a lot of common checks to Clefable and Latias. There aren't too many solid Ghost-resists in the tier, and this makes iit very easy to abuse Scarf Gengar with Spikes, especially vs Offense, because common targets trying to revenge kill it (Mega Scizor, Scarf Keldeo, Scarfrachi, Heatran) will all get worn down, while almost always 2HKOing Tornadus-Therian with Sludge Wave and giving Weavile less opportunities to Pursuit.

I went with Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb because of the immediate damage vs Tornadus-Therian after rocks (75%~ and 13%~ rolls after Stealth Rock damage, respectively), and because i want to minimize the Poison chance, especially because the team appreciates Latias' paralyze support. The remaining moveslots are standard offensive coverage, but i need to explain Trick in-depth. If Gengar won't be filling a role of abusing its Ghost-STAB, his goal is to force trades against numerous set-up sweepers, or lure them directly with Trick. This is extremely important because Gengar doesn't have very offensive potential. It isn't going to OHKO Manaphy or Clefable after a couple of Calm Minds, so it needs to force trades to make the remaining members abuse of the choice-locked threat later in the match. If you're facing a Stall team with a Sableye without 100%, they main switch-in is usually Chansey or a Regen mon, so you can try to conceal your moveset and take advantage of that.

You can use Modest Scarf or less speed, but outpacing Scarf Keldeo and +1 Jolly Zard X can be potentially gamebreaking sometimes, and you want to keep the regular Speed tier after using Trick against a bulkier threat.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers *** Revolution 1 (
)
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP | 240 Def | 20 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs:
0 Atk
Stealth Rock
Scald
Earth Power | Refresh
Toxic

Seismitoad is a mediocre Pokémon overall. It isn't going to tank hits forever nor does it take early advantage of anything, but it's a necessary evil on this slot. An Electric-immunity + SR, and a backup check vs Heatran and Talonflame was needed here to cover the weakness of the team against Volturn cores (Rotom-W + Medicham or Lopunny is really annoying), and Seismitoad is the closest member to fill the majority of flaws that I've had at this point. Gastrodon doesn't learn Stealth Rock (putting Rocks on Tyranitar or Skarmory is counterproductive), and Garchomp and Landorus-Therian would increase my weakness vs HP Ice Thundurus and Manectric and they make me lose my Water-immunity, which is pretty incovenient because it increases my weakness against Slowbro and Choiced Keldeo (especially with Pursuit-support), and matchup issues vs Rain teams as well.

A lot of people like to slap Knock Off, but i need every single moveslot here. Earth Power is usually superior than Earthquake because it doesn't make you rely on a Scald burn on SD Bisharp if you're already burned because of Heatran or Talonflame. Scald fails to 2HKO Talonflame, so Toxic allows me to take the advantage in a eventual Roost, and covers my issues vs (Mega) Slowbro. Refresh is a cool choice as well, allowing Seismitoad to fish for the burn on Mega Sableye more comfortably, although using it without Earth Power hurts quite a bit.

I use full Def here to tank a +2 Knock Off from Adamant Bisharp (assuming it's Lum or BlackGlasses, because Life Orb OHKOes it) and also it gives me more staying power vs Weavile and Mega Scizor.

Usually your main options against Bulky or HO teams are going to be Clefable and Mega Latias (more solid against BO), and Gengar and Mega Latias (more solid against HO). If your opponent has a dedicated lead, just ensure that you can rocks later, and try to force trades with Gengar whenever you can, and conserve Skarmory and Latias for every important set-up sweeper with priority. If you face a standard stall with Sab | Chansey | Skarmory | regen grass | Quagsire | filler, you should try to avoid too much Spikes on your field (it your opponent is running Defog Skarm, it's easier), and use Band Tyranitar to get a kill eventually. You won't be laying rocks anytime soon, but in the mid-game, you can burn the Sableye, keep it at 50~70% range, and pressure your opponent's team with hazards later. This team has a very good matchup vs Bulky | Rain Offense and opposing defensively-inclined Balanced, while Full Stall and HO are neutral matchups. Some specific matchups like the uncommon BirdSpam are annoying matchups to face, though.

I've said that about a million times, but i'm gonna say it again. This team has 4 Spikes immunities, and one resistance | immunity against Stealth Rock, so Spikes are always superior to Defog. On this team's skeleton, four Pokémon have a defensive nature (Clef, Lati, Skarmory, and Toad), and Gengar and Tyranitar complete my offensive core, focusing on breaking or / and revenge killing threats. Watching the team from a perspective off supporting Clefable, i believe that i have the necessary tools to weaken every relevant check. Steel-types (Jirachi, Bisharp, Mega Metagross, Heatran, Mega Scizor, Excadrill, Bisharp) either hate Spikes on the long run, or are paralyzed | tricked by Latias or Gengar, respectively. You have CB Ttar to Pursuit certain Fire-types like Talonflame, Heatran, and Victini. Certain Stallbreakers are handled by statusing (except Gliscor), but you can take the early advantage with Latias or Skarmory. There's remaining some checks like Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, and Flamethrower capitalizes on these targets, along Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Still, don't think about focusing your gameplan only on sweeping with Clefable and you should do fine against a lot of matchups.

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the grammar typos (s/o lighthouses for helping me to fix a lot of mistakes). Pce.

Importable

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Landorus-Therian: He's a pretty easy foe to play regardless of the sets. It's Spikes bait for Skarmory and Seismitoad can set Rocks easily, but you shouldn't let it take U-Turns recklessly with rocks on the field even if Rocky Helmet recoil sounds appealing, or you're gonna lose a lot of momentum. Mega Latias is a fantastic Double Dance Lando-T check overall, even with Yache Berry.
Latios: Clefable is the initial switch-in, and Tyranitar can Pursuit Lati quite easily. It's reccomended to double to Latios, since people tend to double switch back really often to avoid Ttar's Pursuit. It isn't a real threat, the only concern are Trick variants. It's the best matchup vs a Defogger, since EQ or Surf isn't a direct threat for Tyranitar.
Keldeo: Although Mega Latias is a natural Pursuit target, Clefable is an excellent switch-in for Scarf Keldeo, avoiding the 2HKO from everything relevant (it's capable of switching in everything vs Specs Keldeo bar Hydro Pump and crits), and Seismitoad can take advantage because of the Water-immunity. Just don't let him have too much free turns to set-up CM because Latias is slower than him. Using 252 Speed on Lati is the easiest fix vs SubCM variants.
Garchomp: Another easy target for free SR or Spikes, although Fire Blast is annoying for Skarmory obviously. SD variants ain't a concern at all, if he Outrages, you can revenge with Clef or Lati, and Skarmory is a Skarmory for a reason.
Garchomp (Mega): Mega Chomper is a big threat since Fire Blast is a common choice and EQ 2HKOes Clef, so it forces you to play sub-optimally with your own Clef and Lati. Fortunately he tends to be on dedicated sand teams, so your opponent carries something like Ttar~Exca~Chomper~Regen Core, that means he's usually going to weak vs Spikes, so use it at your favour.
Heatran: In the early-game, Seismitoad and Tyranitar are the switch-ins, although the former hates Power Herb variants, and you don't want to play with a burned Tyranitar. Also, he's also a cockblock for Clef, so use every resource to weaken him (CB Pursuit, Spikes, Trick Scarf, Lati TWave).
Tyranitar: It isn't an individual threat, but Latias and Gengar are Pursuit targets, so it could be a relevant issue if played correctly. The main problem are the CB variants, because they really force Latias to make annoying coinflips if you don't double switch. Scarf is pretty easy to deal overall, you only need to Roost once to scout (Crunch takes like 60%~ from it) and play carefully with Gengar, and take advantage of more defensive sets. You can Trick the Chople and KO it after rocks if it doesn't miss, or analyze his moveset, ex: if he's SR | Stone Edge | Pursuit | x (if x is Ice Beam or Fire Blast, Lati can outstall the Stone Edges although it's a bad idea early-game, and if he's Crunch, Skarmory set-up Spikes and forces Rocky Helmet recoil more comfortably).
Clefable: Tricky if it runs Flamethrower especially because my Skarmory is Full Def (so it's really poor to phaze non-TWave Clef). The main things that you should do is lure with Latias and TWave it, so it increases your chance of winning the CM war, and you can Iron Head flinch if you want. If your opponent play recklessly with Clefable, you can use Gengar at your advantage and cripple it definitively with Trick. CB Ttar's Stone Edge takes 70~80% from Calm variants, and 65~75% from Bold variants. Clefable is a notable threat, this team have a fair amount of ways to counterplay it.
Rotom-Wash: Seismitoad is the perfect switch-in. If he WoW's you, you can Refresh and regain momentum (he won't do nothing in return even without Refresh...), so you Scald burn on the next switch-in, or straight Toxic in. Just don't click Scald if the opposing Rotom-Wash is paired with a Clefable, since the last thing that you want is to face is a burned Clefable.
Tornadus-Therian: Unless if you're running a Rotom-W or a Zapdos in every team, LO Torn-T is going to be a menace to every defensively-inclined team. Latias and Clef are the main switch-ins, although Hurricane shenanigans are annoying as hell. But, you can use Gengar at you advantage and lure it, regardless of LO or AV (Sludge Wave always 2HKOes it after rocks), and if you need to Trick or paralyze it, you can easily pressure it with CB Ttar later.
Latias: Pursuit-bait. Like Latios, it's pretty important to play agressively around it, because even though Lati isn't an individual threat, you don't want to make a potential threat like Mega Gyarados or Gardevoir receive a Healing Wish. Otherwise is a fine mon, Clefable and Tyranitar handles every variant of it.
Latias (Mega): Again, you can Pursuit it with Tyranitar, and even if Lati uses Reflect Type, CB Stone Edge is insane in this meta (there isn't too reliable Rock-resists defensively). Just don't let your Clefable get para'd too, and try to get a free SR or Pursuit in the early-game.
Ferrothorn: Well, my team has 4 Spikes immunities, and Clef outstall | lure every single set bar TWave + Iron Head. The main switch-in is Skarmory since it's Spikes bait, and once you scouted his set, you can try to fish the burn or lay rocks with Toad if it doesn't have Power Whip, or threaten it directly with Clefable vs non-Thunder Wave sets.
Skarmory: Clefable is very good to take advantage of it, since it loops Roost and you can make it switch-in or burn it. If it's using a physically defensive or a hybrid spread, Skarmory takes a insane damage from +1 Flamethower, and if it's SpD, this means that Tyranitar can reach 2HKO benchmarks wish his STABs more easily. Like i said before, this team has 4 Spikes immunities, so it shouldn't be a concern overall. Against Custap sets, Lead with Latias and IBeam > TBolt to avoid two layers.
Jirachi: Yes, it's an ideal check vs Clefable, but Skarmory redirects it, especially because Jir hates to U-Turn into Spikes + Rocky Helmet recoil (so Scarf variants won't last too long). You'll probably want to paralyze it Lati if it's a SpD version, so you can eventually Pursuit it with Ttar without fearing Iron Head flinching. Healing Wish support is a concern, though, so laying a lot of Spikes to avoid too set-up opportunities from a opposing wallbreaker is very important here.
Excadrill: If Excadrill is your opponent's form of hazard control, it's a good idea to pressure it with Skarmory on the early-game and force the Rocky Helmet recoil so you can maximize your chances of winning with Clef or Lati on the long run, and if you're feeling ballsy at the mid- late-game, going for the Spinblock with Gengar is fine, because they won't expect Scarf overall. If they're playing with SpD sets, you can try to put rocks with Toad (but don't try to take too EQs in the process).
Azumarill: Skarmory is the initial switch-in. Yes, it takes a lot from CB Waterfall, but your opponent probably won't spam it recklessly because you have a Seismitoad, so use it at your favour and try to lay free Spikes against it. Belly Drum variants are theorically notable threats, but they're relatively easy to handle, you only need to avoid to lock Ttar to much into Pursuit, and even if you lock it, Latias can revenge kill it easily with proper residual damage (Sands, Rocky Helmet).
Starmie: Unlike Excadrill, Skarmory won't be a good switch-in, but defensive variants don't spin consistently vs Toad, and you can eventually Toxic it, or Pursuit it eventually with Ttar but again, be careful with Scald. Offensive variants are notable threats if they run Psyshock, but without the Analytic boost, Clefable and Mega Lati check it pretty well.
Weavile: The main concern against Weavile overall are the Pursuit coin vs Lati and bs hax, and this happens against almost every team lacking Keldeo or Mega Scizor. Fortunately, Skarmory is full Def, so it's a cool switch-in overall, but again, this team doesn't have an Ice-resist, so it can spam Icicle Crash and get a free kill if it gets luckE with a flinch. You can lure it with Gengar if you're not in Ice Shard's range.
Slowbro: Toxic on Seismitoad is very important here. If he CM's, he won't be capable of pressuring Seismitoad alone, because there's a Lati and a Clef in the back, and he's gonna switch-in or loop Slack Off. If he's a Toxic or Thunder Wave variant, you can get free rocks on Toad, or get the free status on Clef (Toxic or Scald ofc). If he's burned, you can try to double and Pursuit it to facilitate Skarmory's job later.
Slowbro (Mega): Again, try to Toxic it whenever you have the chance. Thanks to Shell Armor, it’s better to outright punish it with residual damage instead of trying to para, so you can punish better with Tyranitar or Clefable in the CM War. Yeah it’s more bulky and annoying, but the lack of recovery in Leftovers is pretty important for the residual damage with Sands + Spikes.
Scizor (Mega): I know this is pretty odd to say, but although he can theorically sweep the team, i don't consider it an impossible threat to handle. As a last mon, ideally your main answer is going to be a Clefable (yes, a Flamethrower Clefable), so it's important to keep it healthy, otherwise you can phaze with Skarmory or try to fish the burn with Seismitoad. Still a potential threat.
Talonflame: This team fares wery well against Talonflame. Still, it doesn't mean that he won't be a notable threat on the long run. Although my team has 4 Spikes immunities, Tyranitar and Seismitoad are the main ones which are affected by Spikes, so if you face him in a Balance or Semistall team, you shouldn't let him switch-in safely so many times, because he'll burn everything early-game, while being capable of sweeping late-game. You can lure it with Gengar, and you have a Band Tyranitar, so if you manage to win the Pursuit coinflip, it's a great step for winning the match, because it's one of the best Flamethrower Clef checks as well.
Lopunny (Mega): Although Clefable isn't an ideal switch-in (only Bold Clefable should switch-in frequently), i can handle it based on resistantes (if it spams Return | Frustration, i can pivot with Skarmory, otherwise i can pivot with Clef and Lati). Just don't give too much opportunities to set PuP and you should be fine.
Hippowdon: He's completely Spikes and SR bait, and if he's a WW variant, you can try to spam Shadow Ball if the matchup looks good (let's say, without decent Ghost-resists and without a Pursuiter). He's 2HKOed by CB Ice Punch, and loses a lot of momentum vs virtually the whole team.
Metagross (Mega): He's a common target for Lati to Thunder Wave, or for Skarmory to Spikes, just avoid giving it too much Meteor Mash boosts opportunities, because it can potentially break the team if it activates the hero mode, and run Thunder Punch on the coverage. Fortunately, Scarf Gengar doesn't need to worry with the Speed tie against it, although Bullet Punch is quite troublesome.
Amoonguss: If you're facing him on Stall teams, you're probably want to take the Latias as a sleep fodder, and use Skarmory to invite Sableye. You should double switch at the point of making Tyranitar fall in a scenario vs Chansey vs Ttar, or Amoonguss vs Ttar, because CB Stone Edge and Crunch are scary as hell. Otherwise, you can play suboptimally and make the Seismitoad the fodder, and take advantage of Flamethrower Clefable.
Bisharp: If you want to change the team for Garchomp, Bisharp definitively should be the #1 reason. Physical Def Skarmory is a decent switch-in, but unless you run Counter, odds ain't going to be at your favour anyways. He's never going to sweep the team, but he forces too trades (TWave for Lati, Trick for Gengar), and if you manage to cripple it, CB Ttar or Clef can revenge it it easily. Just set-up Spikes asap and don't let Bisharp set-up too much. If he's Lum or BlackGlasses, Seismitoad tank live a hit and hit it back with Earth Power, otherwise, LO is more suspectible to status | Rocky Helmet | Spikes residual damage.
Diancie (Mega): People are running Max Atk Diancie to take advantage of Clefable, but in that case, you have a Skarmory to back up it. Still, there are some specific combinations (Diancie + Zone is common if it lacks HP Fire), PsysDef can check it very well if it's full attack, but it doesn't switch in 2 HP Fire after rocks. Clefable can outstall the Diamond Storms, but again, looping recovery increases crit chances.
Magnezone: A threat if it manages to sucessfully trap Skarmory, and it forces you to play sub-optimally, because people tend to double against it. If it manages to trap, you should lay 1 Spikes, and conserve the 1 HP. This is very important if you face Offense, because it allows to block Defog and Spin for 1 turn, and gives Gengar more opportunities to make trades vs offensive teams. Individually, it isn't a problem, of course.
Charizard (Mega-X): My Tyranitar is EV'd to tank a +1 EQ from Jolly Zard, and you should try to Toxic it asap, or take the advantage of Rocky Helmet. If he Flare Blitz and trades itself for Skarmory, he's gonna be on the Range of Scarf Gengar. He won't straight up sweep the team, but the key to play around it is analyze the most dispensable mon whenever he switches in, and pressure it with Tyranitar if you find the opportunity. Bulky WoW variants are nicely handled by Seismitoad and Mega Lati (Flare Blitz + EQ is more common than Dragon Claw + EQ, and if your opponent uses the latter, that means he's using a Zard X weak against Clef).
Charizard (Mega-Y): Of course there are Pursuit shenanigans, but Mega Latias fares well against it if the Pursuiter is a support or Scarf Ttar | regular Metagross. Otherwise you can try to take advantage of Clef, because a lot of Zard Y builds are weak against it, and Flamethrower is pretty useful if his spinner is a Excadrill.
Thundurus: This team has the tools to handle against every variant, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't gonna be a threat. Depending of the matchup, you can switch-in Clefable or Lati, but still, you need to read your opponent's teambuilding. If he's using a wallbreaker or something, Clefable is probably the best target to take the Thunder Wave because a para'd Latias could make a few threats like Azumarill and Manaphy lethal, if they manage to set-up. If he's NP + 3 Attacks, Mega Latias is the best switch-in, and if he's NP + TW, you can play around it with Tyranitar and Seismitoad.
Medicham (Mega): The easiest fix for Mega Medicham is running Full Def on Clef. His HJK is strong af, but you can discourage its spam playing suboptimally with Gengar and Latias, and if you manage to read a Fake Out or Ice Punch pattern, you can chip the damage with Skarmory and take the momentum back with Clefable. Fortunately this team doesn't give too much opportunities to make him switch-in safely via pivots too many times (Seismitoad for Rotom-Wash, Skarmory for Lando-T and Jirachi).
Alakazam: The main problem of not using a non-Chople Tyranitar, is to open the weakness against certain Psychic-types. Fortunately, most of regular Zams are seen as an emmergency button with Sash, and Clefable is the perfect check. LO variants are threatening, but you can lure | rk it with Gengar.
Alakazam (Mega): Again, you can fix its weakness by running Full SpD on Skarmory if you want to lay Spikes easier, some sets like Encore ou Taunt 3 Attacks are fairly manageable, but CM Zam is threatening as well. You need to keep Latias healthy (75%+), so you can Tank a +1 Shadow Ball and TWave it in the ass. Yeah, you have Gengar to revenge, but if something goes wrong, praying for the Focus Blast miss is your best bet.
Gliscor: If he's paired with a Zone or something Latias is the ideal switch-in, capable of checking every set bar SubToxic. Clefable can check SubToxic, and Seismitoad + Skarmory lay free hazards against it whenever it's forced to Roost. If you're facing a Facade Gliscor, you can play agressively with Gengar as well.
Manaphy: Mega Latias actually beats it 1v1 (Ice Beam doesn't OHKO it without rocks, and with rocks it's a 45%~ roll), but with dedicated support like Pursuit or paralyze is an insane threat, capable of breaking the whole team and forcing 2~3 trades if your opponent play correctly around it. Fortunately you can force a trade with Gengar and taking advantage of the move he's locked with Seismitoad or Tyranitar. If he's using a mono-attacking Manaphy, Seismitoad blocks it and you can outstall its Rain Dance PPs, and phaze with Skarmory when the chance arises.
Sableye (Mega): Again, he's found more often in Semistall | Stall builds, so you can't consider only the CM variant (Clefable ofc hard counters it), but his performance supporting a defensive team. Yes, it avoids Skarmory's Spikes, but Refresh on Seismitoad is important mainly because of it. If you manage to burn it and keep it on a 70~80% range, you can play more agressively with Tyranitar, or fish an Iron Head flinch with Skarmory (burn + Iron Head should be around 25~30%, so eventually it should lay Spikes or Rocks).
Kyurem-Black: Probably the most frustrating threat to handle. Iron Head is a common choice on him, so he can easily punish my teambuilding flaws on this team, getting a free kill when it's Cube vs Lati or Seismitoad. My team doesn't have any Ice resists, and unlike dudes like Ferrothorn and Jirachi, Skarmory takes a huge disvantage from that. Fortunately, you can use the LO recoil and Tyranitar's bulk at you favour, so he can be on Lati or Gengar's range in the next switch-in.
Venusaur (Mega): In terms of walling + attacking, Venusaur has a good staying power vs this team, although running SpD on Skarm is a pretty easy fix. Still, this team is designed to take advantage from a lot of Clef's checks, and you can play offensively with Latias and Gengar until the point of forcing his Synthesis. CB Ttar's Stone Edge takes 65~75% from it and Skarmory hard walls non-HP Fire variants.
Breloom: Skarmory, Gengar, and Mega Latias makes this team pretty flexible, between choosing a sleep fodder. Although i don't reccomend, you can play suboptimally and make Toad take the Spore. The non-SD sets hates recoil from Skarmory, and SD sets are easily handled by Gengar and Latias. If your opponent uses a more defensive variant like Leech Seed, you can check it with Clefable.
Serperior: You have a Mega Latias and Gengar to backup it, but it's important to scout potential Glares. If it runs Leech Seed or Glare or Subs, take advantage of the move that Serperior lacks (phaze non-HP Fire with Skarmory, use Latias to cover non-Dragon Pulse sets). Just don't make it find it find too many set-up opportunities on Seismitoad and you should be fine.
Manectric (Mega): I have a Ground switch-in which doesn't give a fuck about HP Ice, a CB Ttar to punish VS on 1v1, a Clefable, a Scarf Gengar and a Mega Latias. Defintively it isn't a threat for this team.
Gardevoir (Mega): If you run Full SpD on Skarmory, Mega Gardevoir should be the #1 reason. I've used to run SpD, but i'm more worried with Weavile on usage than Garde, and i'm feeling okay about being naturally weak against it. Gardevoir always forces a couple of trades, you can switch directly at Gengar and take 60%~ from Hyper Voice, and TWave with Lati it to Pursuit with Band Tyranitar, so even with a couple of counterplay, you're gonna need to play suboptimally. Like i said before, unless you're running Full SpD, there isn't too much that you can do.
Tangrowth: Free Spikes for Skarmory, and he isn't a overall issue, but play around more with Latias and Skarmory in the early-game to conserve your main attackers off Knock Off and Sleep.
Chansey: Pretty much a staple of Stall teams, individually you should try to win the Pursuit coinflip or make your opponent think that it can switch-in comfortably vs Gengar, otherwise just don't give it too much set-up opportunities to Heal Bell or to TWave, so Clefable can deal with Amoonguss and Quag more easier.
Klefki: The same thing about Skarmory and Ferrothorn applies here: don't worry too much about Spikes, because there are a lot of Spikes-immune mons on this team. If your opponent doesn't have a form of hazard control, you can Spike with your Skarmory as well, otherwise don't let you Skarmory take a full para recklessly and try to keep the momentum with Seismitoad.
Raikou: See Manectric, the only expection is CM with Spikes support which capitalizes on my Ttar and Toed, but he shouldn't be a big threat overall.
Terrakion: CB is fairly annoying to deal against, but in practice it isn't too hard to take advantage of the STAB he's locked to, even if CB CC on Toad hurts af, there's a Gengar and a Rocky Helmet Skarmory to put pressure or to play Spikes. Scarf is pretty easy to wall, and Gengar can revenge kill a Salac variant.
Altaria (Mega): DDD is the worst Altaria set of the world and I honestly don't know why people use it, shit never sweeps any team even if you trap the opponent's Steel. About the good sets, you can resort to Skarmoy | Clef on the 1v1, and rk it with Gengar to deal with DD + EQ Altaria too (Scarf Gengar outpaces Altaria after 2 DDs assuming Adamant Nature), just be careful with any potential Pursuiter. Clefable is a fantastic check of Mixed Altaria variants.
Suicune: The only possibility of this dude threat my team is running Ice Beam, but it's pretty rare for the OU metagame. If you're dealing with RestTalk, that means you can initially status it and go for the CM War (but you should try to Trick it Gengar first, making CM Wars in the early-game is a pretty bad idea, especially vs a Pressure mon), and fish for the crits. Roar variants obviouslly fuck Clefable, but you can take advantage of the absence of Sleep Talk, Toxic it, and phaze or hit it hard with Tyranitar during the sleep turns.
Gastrodon: It can Clear Smog, and bore Lati to death, but he isn't gonna do too much back. It's a free Rocks | Toxic from Toad, and depending of its spread, you can pressure with Gengar or Tyranitar depending if it's Def or SpD.
Pinsir (Mega): Again, he's a big problem when you're trading a Scarftar for a Band Ttar (similiar case with Zam), but you can do your best to force the residual damage and CC drops with Skarmory and revenge kill it Lati. It's really dangerous when it's paired with a trapper or Healing Wish support, so playing around with SR will be the key to beat it.
Quagsire: He's main niche is found on Stall teams and he's usually the main (and the only) Rock-resist, and CB Crunch gives me a respectable amount of damage. Between a single layer of Spikes or SR, posible crits, and Crunch Defense drops, he's gonna loop Recover and it'll switch in eventually, and even stuff like Skarmory or Tangrowth won't last too long taking repeated hits, although Rocky Helmet recoil is pretty annoying.
Gyarados: Pretty easy foe overall, except if it's paired with a Zone. If he subs, Seismitoad will be a set-up fodder, but Skarm can wall it handily, because no one use Subs + Taunt. Seismitoad is a natural immunity, so it forces Gyara to Bounce or EQ, and this is pretty easy to take advantage with Skarmory or Tyranitar. Lati can tank Bounces easily, but Skarmory and Toad are better initial switch-ins anyways.
Gyarados (Mega): Thanks to Mold Breaker, Seismitoad won't be a consistent switch-in, but Clefable is more solid at revenge killing it. SubDD or DD + 3 Attacks are decently handled by Skarmory, but DD + Taunt is pretty much the most annoying variant to face, and if you give it a set-up opportunity, you're gonna need to resort to a Toad's Scald burn or Scarf Gengar's Focus Blast to not get plain 6-0'd.
Mew: Against standard Stallbreaker sets, Seismitoad or Clefable are the better switch-ins. You're nood gonna try to to outright beat it, but status it withouth getting too much crippled by his WoW in return. Or you can TWave him with a burned Latias, to finally kill it Tyranitar. Skarmory is an amazing answer vs Baton Pass sets overall.
Gengar: If you're worried about opposing Gengar, you can put SpD on Skarmory, or change the combination of items (Scarftar and offensive Gengar). My only resist vs Shadow Ball is OHKO'd by Focus Blast, so it's gonna force you to make trades, or to make optimal plays between Tyranitar and Scarf Gengar. Gengar fails to OHKO Lati with Shadow Ball, but you can't ignore the possibility of Substitute or Taunt. WoW + Taunt | Subs variants are more easier to deal though, Tyranitar checks Dual STAB, and Clef switches in if it's Shadow Ball or Hex + Focus Blast.
Volcarona: Volcarona is the team's main nemesis, and besides Garchomp > Seismitoad, there isn't too much that that you can do cover it without changing the team's whole structure. Since Lum Berry is the most common choice, i can't rely on Lati or Seismitoad to cripple it with status. After SR damage, Volcarona pretty much sweeps the whole team, and the only may to manage it is tricking with Gengar. If they manage to kill Gengar (let's say, via Pursuit), you can click the x. Bulkier Volcaronas are notable threats, but it's more easy to play around it with status.
Heracross (Mega): Skarmory is somewhat a /decent/ switch-in (the only move that 2HKOes forces Rocky Helmet recoil). Ayways, it isn't too hard for Heracross to 2HKO Clef or Skarmory eventually with SR support, but it's more easier to handle than threats like Mega Gardevoir or Cube because of the team's natural resistances, so he won't force an insane amount of trades.
Volcanion: Even if he's Choiced, Latias is an ideal switch-in, although it hates Steam Eruption | Scald burns. The opponent will be usually discouraged to spam it because of Seismitoad. If its non-choiced, he can threathen Seismitoad more easier, but Lati walls even better (be careful with Pursuit), and Tyranitar outspeed bulky variants.
Zapdos: It's a full stop vs Skarmory, but it doesn't cockblock Seismitoad from putting rocks on the field, Toxic is very important here to win the SR vs Defog game. Unlike Lati@s, Zapdos isn't instantly threatened by Pursuit, but it won't be doing too much in return.
Celebi: Celebi is usually dedicated to Baton Pass niches, so Skarmory is the initial switch-in, laying free Spikes and phazing it. If for some reason your opp uses NP + Attacks instead of Serperior, you can scout it with Lati and put Gengar on the field in a predicted EP | Grass-STAB. Be careful with Thunder Wave when facing defensive variants.
Slowking: See Slowbro, except that Tyranitar Pursuits its more easily at the cost of a more difficult CM war vs Clef. It shouldn't be a difficult threat overall if you manage to cripple it with Toed.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey, cool team man, I specially like the fact that you managed to accomodate banded ttar in this kind of a team(Big fan of it btw), just a little nitpick why not use swampert over seismitoad(I am not sure that only water absorb is a good reason for it?)
Good luck ;)

Hey, two idea in case you haven't considered them or not.

For M-Latias, have you considered Charge Beam? I understand you're relying on damage roles with Thunderbolt occasionally, and Charge Beam could help you keep up with Calm Mind users. Admittedly it doesn't hit strong right off the bat, but it could also allow you to get back up to full 110 speed which would be helpful in it's own right and allow for compensation of power over time.

Also for Seismetoad, consider Bulldoze or Icy Wind over Earth Power. I like Seismetoad, and when going full support I can't tell you how often one of these two moves has helped. Icy Wind can make a lot of offensive switch ins slower than your Latias and it puts far more pressure on your opponent to switch out, like Tornadus-T, Gengar or other Lasti@s planning to levitate over a ground move or absorb a Scald. Also works on Dragon Dancers and is a way to lower speed without being Taunted, which is useful

Just two small suggestions to experiment with. :)

Dang, this team is really good. Seis was a great way to cap it off. Speaking of Seis, you should really run Earth Power 100% of the time except when you know your opponet is running stall. If you don't have EP, you pretty much lose to Zard-X.

0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 194-230 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

After SR its a roll highly In your favor. With 1 layer of spikes its guarunteed.

Seis also really helps out Vs. Mana. It also completely shuts down Rain CM Mana. Which has won me a few matches by default.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)