SS PU Sand-Stall : SS PU Edition ( Peaked #1 on PU Ladder, 86 GXE, 1640 ELO)

Introduction:
Here's my PU sand stall team that I used to climb to the number 1 spot on the PU ladder. It features Hippopotas as the team's rocker, Vullaby as the primary defogger, Pyukumuku as the primary response to Pokemon that may try to take advantage of the team's passivity by setting up, Musharna as an all around wall and cleric, Vespiquen as a special wall as well as a secondary defogger, and Lapras as a way to deal with other bulkier teams. Enjoy the team :]

Proof of peak:
PU SwSh peak.jpeg
Peaked #1 on PU Ladder

The Team:

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Hippopotas serves many functions for this team. The main one being the stealth rocker. Like any stall team, hazards are very important and I believe that every stall team must have at least 1 stealth rocker. In addition to providing the team with rocks, it serves as a very good physical wall as well as a ground type which means that electric types are not able to freely volt switch. Some notable threats that Hippopotas deals with include Mawile, Pawniard, and some Silvally variants. The moveset is pretty standard as Eearthquake is a solid STAB option, toxic helps wear down opposing teams, slack off for recovery, and stealth rock. Sand stream is chosen as the ability as the extra chip damage from sandstorm makes it easier to wear down opposing Poekmon.

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Defog

Vullaby, much like Hippopotas, provides this team with another essential component of any stall team, and that is a defogger. Vullaby also serves as a phsyical wall and a Pokemon that is able to spam Knock off. This is important because being able to knock off opposing Pokemon's heavy duty boots and leftovers makes it easier for the chip damage of rocks, toxic, and sandstorm to accumulate. Overcoat is chosen as the ability in order to avoid taking sandstorm damage and in order to be immune to spore and other powder moves. The move set is fairly standard apart from heat wave, which was chosen as a way to effectively deal with Pawniard in order to prevent it from setting up. It also serves as a way to get a solid amount of damage on Pokemon such as Mawile. Due to eviolite, Vullaby's physical defense is very good and it is able to defog on a plethora of physical attackers, which makes it a great counterpart to Vespiquen, which is able to defog on a plethora of special attackers.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Spite
- Toxic
- Soak

Pyukumuku plays an integral part of this stall team. Due to Quagsire being unavailable, I decided to use Pyukumu as the response to Pokemon that rely on setting up. Pokemon such as swords dance Pawniard are able to be soaked and then toxic'd, while not caring about how many times it swords dances. Other threats to the team that Pyukumuku is able to effectively handle are calm mind Musharna and Mr.Mime, and swords dance Silvally to name a few. The moveset is intended to always at least force out any Pokemon that may try to set up. Usually it is done so with the combination of soak + toxic. However, for Pokemon that use rest such as Throh, spite is used to PP stall their rest and allow me to then toxic them without them having a way to reliably stop the toxic damage. Spite also helps to quicken the rate at which opposing heal bells / aroma therapies are used, as toxic forces them to click heal bell, and if I am able to read the turn correctly, I can spite on that turn in order to effectively have removed 5/8 of their PP. Unaware is chosen as the ability due to the previously mentioned fact that this Pokemon's purpose is to deal with opposing set up pokemon. In addition, Pyukumuku also serves as a solid special wall for a good portion of the PU tier.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Toxic

Musharna is the team's cleric, which in my opinion is also a very necessary part of any stall team. The reason that I chose to have Musharna be the team's cleric is due to the threat of Silvally-Poison and and Throh. Silvally-Poison is the only Silvally type that may be able to swords dance and win, as Pyukumuku is not able to soak nor toxic it. Luckily Hippopotas can help with it, but if Hippopotas is weakened, then Silvally-Poison would be quite an issue. Due to this, I decided that a bulky Psychic type would be necessary. Luckily, Musharna fills both roles of the bulky psychic as well as the cleric. Synchronize is chosen as the ability because I believe it the best option of all its abilities and it is able to punish opponents who may try to toxic it. The moveset is standard as heal bell is used to heal off status ailments that impede the team, Psychic is a solid STAB option, toxic helps wear down opposing teams, and Moonlight is a method of recovery. One note that should be considered is that Moonlight will only heal 25% instead of 50% when used in sand, so you must be careful not to rely on moonlight during times that sand is up.

Vespiquen (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Toxic

Vespiquen is able to provide this team with 3 main uses. The first being a decent special wall that can spread toxic against opposing teams. The second use that it's ability, Pressure, allows the team to more effectively PP stall when needed. And thirdly, Vespiquen serves as a good counter part to Vullaby, as it is able to defog against special attackers, while Vullaby is able to defog against physical attackers. The item heavy-duty boots allows it to more effectively defog, as it nullifies the 4x weakness to stealth rocks. The move set has roost as a means of recovery, defog in order to remove hazards, toxic in order to wear down opposing teams, and U-turn as a solid STAB option as well as allowing it to safely bring in other members of the team in order to counter the Pokemon that may come in on Vespiquen.

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Rest
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Finally, the last Pokemon on this team is Lapras. Lapras provides the team with a lot of uses, but the there are 2 main ones for which I chose it to be on the team. The first one is that it is able to help tremendously in match-ups in which the opponent also has a stall / very bulky team by outright removing a lot of Pokemon through the combination of Whirlpool + Perish Song. The second main use is it makes the team not automatically lose to choice band Basculin. Without Lapras, Basculin would be free to spam choice band Liquidation and 2hko my entire team. However, thanks to Lapras' water absorb ability, Basculin must be cautious of clicking it, which makes it a lot easier for my team to deal with it. The moves are primarily meant to trap and kill whatever comes in Lapras, either by way of Whirlpool + Perish song, or Whirlpool + Toxic. Rest is used as a means of recovery. One note that should be made is that whirlpool may be replaced for block, however, I found that the chip damage from whirlpool is extremely useful. Furthermore, if block is used, Lapras will not be able to trap Hattrem, and will instead be useless against teams containing Hattrem. So although, block can replace whirlpool, I would strongly recommend against it.

Shout outs:
Shout out to Mirbro for giving me the idea and motivation of laddering in PU, as well as checking over my sets and suggesting changes. Thanks a lot bro :)

Conclusion:
This team is pretty solid. The ability of each member on the team to cover each others weak points is extraordinary. Double defog allows for hazards to often not be a problem, and the trapping element given to the team by Lapras allows the match-up vs. other stall / bulky teams to be very good. The biggest threats to this team are choice specs freeze dry Pokemon such as Glaceon, and electric types that are able to boost their special attack while also having coverage for Hippopotas such as Raichu. Overall, this team has been great to play with and has done very well for me. Good luck and have fun with this team everyone :]

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/8041479410139dfa

Quick edit: So while discussing the team, it has been brought up that Vibrava can replace Vespiquen in order to neutralize the threat of Raichu. Also, I can then change Lapras to a specially defensive variant in order to take on the threat of specs Glaceon and then make Pykumuku physically defensive in order to deal with basculin. I'll leave the original RMT as is since that's what I used to climb to #1 on the ladder and the new ideas are only better in theory so far. Here's the "new" paste:
https://pokepast.es/9fd806919a14517f
In theory, since this fixes the Raichu and Glaceon problem, the biggest threat now is Flame Orb Guts Throh. The best way to answer it is by either playing well enough to get in Musharna safely and then killing it with psychic or by letting burn + sand chip put it in range of Hippopotas' Earthquake and then killing it with Hippopotas.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
hi hjkhj - cool looking stall team you have here and congrats on the peak!

Your second version of the team posted above is a lot of the stuff that I would have recommended with the team being very raichu and glaceon weak initially without vibrava and spdef lapras. After playing with your new team though, I think it could still be optimized a bit with some minor set adjustments and pokemon changes. As you acknowledged, despite having both Musharna and Unware Pyukumuku, your Throh match up isn't ideal as Musharna lacks Colbur and mold breaker variants of throh are able to circumvent pyukumuku with sub + bulk up + storm throw.

pokemon changes:

:gourgeist:
--> :vullaby:
Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Worry Seed / Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Double defog in gen 8 is a bit odd id say and isn't mandatory for your team since lapras is running boots now and vibrava is able to remove hazards with ease against virtually every rocker and spikes user in the tier. Since your team lacks a solid check to offensive and moldbreaker throh variants as well as sd leafeon (vullaby is a bit shaky if rocks are up and leaf knocks off its eviolite and clicks sd + double edge) I think adding gourgeist-super is a good idea. Gourgiest with colbur berry checks all of these and allows you to retain lefties on musharna + helps against banded stonjourner which could be problematic if it locks into the right move should hippopotas be low as vibrava gets 2hkoed by heavy slam and pyukumuku/mush get 2hkoed by stone edge. Worry seed also prevents things like klang and throh from resting, which could give your team an advantage against opposing bulky/stall teams.

minor set changes:

:pyukumuku:
Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Spite
- Soak
- Block

I wasn't too sure what your mixed defense pyukumuku ev spread did, so I changed it to a more standard one designed to beat physical attackers like silvally dragon. I went block > toxic because I think being able to trap problematic pokemon for stall like pawniard is beneficial. While recover is a fine option here, I think rest is slightly better as it allows you to pp stall opposing pokemon. Your musharna is also running heal bell, meaning you can obviously wake up from rest whenever if need be.

:musharna:
Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

I don't really have too much to say here. I think the other changes to the team alleviate the need for adding colbur to musharna as throh is now checked by gourgeist super. I don't think your musharna really needs toxic either. Instead, you could try for calm mind > toxic to give your team a wincon with cm + heal bell.

:lapras:
Lapras @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Rest
- Toxic
- Perish Song

No changes were made here other than boots > leftovers since lapras needs to avoid stealth rock damage to consistently check things like beheeyem and specs glaceon. With perish song, your lapras will be constantly switching out of the field, so coming in as healthy as possible will be important.

:pyukumuku: :musharna: :gourgeist: :hippopotas: :lapras: :vibrava:
Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Spite
- Toxic
- Block

Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Worry Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Lapras @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Rest
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey hjkhj :). First of all, big thanks for your shout out. I had fun helping you with the sets and with the Vespiquen idea. As you know, we are stall lovers and it is in the teambuilding moment when we feel better. I do not think I can recommend you more changes as you know, because we discussed the new edit. However, the raw special defense power, in my opinion, is lower now compared with before as Vibrava is not as reliable as Vespiquen and Pyukumuku has better stats than Lapras overall. But for Raichu and Specs Glaceon both changes are really good (Lapras + Vibrava). However, I feel like something else could be considered for the next reasons (and I will be taking into account the TJ 's rating, that was really good).

I know that you love using Sand Stream in your teams (from SM RU, SM PU and nos SS PU). However, I feel like it is counter-productive in this team with Moonlight Musharna or in TJ's case, Moonlight Musharna and Synthesis Gourgeist. So I would replace it. Moreover, many of your Pokémon do not have Leftovers so you will also regret your lack of marginal recovery.

Moreover, if you want some more Defog + Throh possible control you could take into account Togetic (and also for Cleric). Although it is normally too passive and it does not help with Silvally Poison's problem.

I hope you find it useful and I would be glad to build some more teams for other tiers buddy.

Jordi.

Last edited:
Hey TJ , thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely agree with you on the change from Vullaby to Gourgeist as well as the change from leftovers to heavy-duty boots on the Lapras. Since Vibrava can defog relatively easily vs. a lot of Pokemon, and thanks to heavy-duty boots allowing Lapras to not be fearful of hazards, double defog probably is not necessary. So thanks very much for those suggestions :) . I do however disagree with the other 2 set changes for Pyukumuku and Musharna, although I would be willing to try out the new Pyukumuku set, I believe that toxic on Musharna is absolutely necessary in order to catch the Silvally-Dark upon switch in. Pyukumuku I'm only a little unsure of since in practice it seemed like all 3 of soak, toxic, and spite were needed in order to effectively handle all set up Pokemon. But maybe with the new changes it won't be necessary so I'll definitely try that as well. Overall, I really like the changes you suggested will will try out all of them with the only thing i'm skeptical on is the change from toxic to calm mind on Mushrna. Thanks so much for the rate and feedback :)

Hey Mirbro , firstly, thanks for the rate. And yeah, I think I do agree that Hippopotas is not the most ideal option for this team, it was just what I was comfortable with since I made something similar to this in Gen 7 PU as well. I will definitely be trying out replacement rockers such as Bronzor and and Mawile. Initially, the idea of Hippopotas was that it combined the roles of ground type and stealthrocker. However, with Vibrava now on the team, the extra ground typing is no longer necessary and another rocker can be fit in to better synergize with the other members of the team. As for the Togetic suggestion, that is indeed a very cool idea as it provides me with a cleric option, a defogger, and a an answer to Throh(although the guts facade set still breaks me), so I will definitely try that out as well. Thanks so much for the rate and feedback :)

I was wondering if you could include an actual sand abuser in there somewhere, such as Drilbur. I dont see why you would need Double Defog, as stated above, so I recommend replacing one of your Defoggers with it.

Change your Musharna set to a Pain Split set, as stated above, moonlight is weaker in sand.

Other than that, I think the team is cool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)