Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Light Screen
Reflect
Thunderbolt
Tera Blast
Flash Cannon

Overview:
Sandy Shocks has a decent speed tier and decent bulk, but where it really shines is its diversity in sets, as it can run anything from setting screens to being an offensive powerhouse with perfect coverage with terastallization, to screen and hazard setters. Moves like Stealth Rock and Spikes are a huge benefit to Sandy Shocks, as it is the fastest pokemon in the tier with access to both hazard moves. This makes it a solid lead, and with options like Volt Switch, you can get out of unfavorable matchups quite easily. The base 101 speed is important as well, because it outspeeds popular leads like Hydreigon and Tinkaton, threatening the dragon with a surprise ice tera on offensive sets, and Earth Power for Tinkaton. With rain steadily on the rise, getting Sandy Shocks in safely can punish pokemon like Pelipper and forcing a sacrifice on the opponent's end. Tera types may also allow it to directly threaten and remove threats like Barraskewda and Kilowattrel, pokemon commonly found on rain teams.

Potential sets:

Dual Screens Fast Support

Sandy Shocks @ Light Clay
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Sandy Shock's access to the dual screens is great on hyper offense teams, as it has good pivot moves in Volt Switch, Stealth Rock which threatens the opponent with a constant fear of switching, and dual screens to help not only it, but its teams longevity. With strategies like rain in UU, it is an ever increasing priority to take less and less damage from fast, hard hitting pokemon like Floatzel and Barrakewda. While nothing really takes a banded Wave Crash, it enables some pokemon like Arboliva to become temporary checks, and eliminate designated targets. The danger of not knowing the specific set is also a factor on Sandy Shocks, forcing switches on pokemon like Tinkaton which this set wouldn't threaten in the first place. While I wouldn't recommend terastallizing on this set, tera flying helps mitigate the ground weakness, and improves the Donphan matchup.

Choice Scarf

Sandy Shocks @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Thunderbolt

Choice scarf is a great set for Sandy Shocks, as it can catch many pokemon off guard with its tera ice typing and surprising bulk under snow. This set once again, has good moves in Volt Switch, and spammable moves like Thunderbolt and Earth Power. The real threat on this set is the tera ice tera blast, which is a great answer to Hydreigon, Kilowattrel, Hippowdon, Altaria, and Noivern. Being able to surprise KO this many pokemon is a huge benefit to the team, especailly if your team struggles with flying types. Under snow, the reworked hail, with tera ice, Sandy Shocks has a suprising amount of bulk. Not enough to live things like stab Liquidation from Barraskewda, but enough as to where it survives Bisharp Sucker Punches, and Aqua Jet from banded Floatzel and Skewda. This can be used as an effective way of eliminating such pokemon once their weather is removed. Other notable pokemon that are hit by this set are Brambleghast, which is a great hazard setter and spin blocker, and Toedscruel, which is a potent status user and a fairly common hazard setter. While the set usually doesn't OHKO on neutral moves, it does huge damage super effectively, which makes this set good, because with proper predictions and pivots, this pokemon will be OHKOing threats, never for resisted hits.

Hazard Stack

Sandy Shocks @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

This set is made almost exclusively to counter and bait Hatterene, as it's Flash Cannon does ~51 to 60% which is ~90% for a 2HKO after leftovers recovery, threatening it immensely. This set creates an option for the Hatterene player: Stay in and risk losing an important wall and setup sweeper, or save it for later and allow Sandy Shocks to set up hazards which will hinder the long term longevity of the opponent's team. Not much else to say here other than its a standard lead option with a great Hatterene matchup. Tera ghost prevents spins, but I wouldn't recommend terastallizing this pokemon in first place, just to free up options for your team later.

Pros:
Good Movepool
Decent Speed Tier
Unpredictable Sets

Cons:
Weak to other scarf users
Somewhat Frail

If you made it all the way here thank you for reading I really appreciate it :D

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
Would something in the middle of both the hazard-stack and Choice Scarf sets work? As you stated, Hatterene is scared of this thing, meaning that hazards can go up. Additionally, even in matchups where it can’t really get any progress made through hazards, it can chip stuff consistently with Volt Switch. A set like this was what I was thinking:

Sandy Shocks @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Ice (you don’t really wanna Tera this set but you can IG)
Timid Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon / Tera Blast

(can’t do calculations rn, but I’ll get back to ya)

You have a hazard stacking Focus Sash lead set already mentioned, but I would also like to suggest the offensive Focus Sash lead set I have been using:

:sandy-shocks:
Sandy Shocks @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast

This Sandy Shocks has the job of getting hazards up and then pounding whatever it is staring down, aside from the bulkiest special walls like Blissey and Gastrodon. It does this effectively thanks to its great natural Speed, good bulk, and superb coverage when complemented by Tera Ice.

Would something in the middle of both the hazard-stack and Choice Scarf sets work? As you stated, Hatterene is scared of this thing, meaning that hazards can go up. Additionally, even in matchups where it can’t really get any progress made through hazards, it can chip stuff consistently with Volt Switch. A set like this was what I was thinking:

Sandy Shocks @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Ice (you don’t really wanna Tera this set but you can IG)
Timid Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon / Tera Blast

(can’t do calculations rn, but I’ll get back to ya)
So from what I can tell, the value of choice scarf sets comes from the surprise factor of having a scarf in the first place, so while something like that could definitely work, it really depends on your team comp. You sacrifice speed for more damage and hazards, so I wouldn't really call it a mix between a scarf and hazard set, maybe just an offensive hazard set. Also, you wear yourself down a ton with Life Orb recoil if you are chipping consistently, so I might suggest using magnet if you are pivoting with this mon often, or metal coat if you really want to hit Hatterene.

The ability to actually hit Ground types as a Electric is pretty big. I haven't found the dual screens sets to be worth it at all. Stealth Rock+3 attacks or full on offense perform the best. It is has very well rounded stats and it's unique typing makes it stand out. Booster Energy is especially helpful in cleaning late game as very few can outspeed at +1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)