Other Seven Deadly Sins - DUSKFALL WINS!

FINAL 4 CHALLENGE
Pride

Welcome to the Final 4 Challenge.

You already know that this game involves four games: Yams, Tokaido, Hearts, and Coloretto. Here's how they will affect the placement.

In the first phase, you will submit bids on each of the game. Then, you will earn points based on your performance in each game. For every coin bid, this is how much you get in return for getting the following placements in each game:

1st place: 4x coins bid
2nd place: 2x coins bid
3rd place: 0.5x coins bid (rounded down)
4th place: nothing

In addition,
  1. If any game has 150 coins or more total bids on it, then the payoff structure changes to 8x/0x/0x/0x.
  2. Players may spend 30 coins to reverse the payoff structure of a game. If this happens successfully, then 4th place will get 4x coins bid, 3rd place will get 2x, and so on. (or 0/0/0/8x)
  3. Players may purchase insurance at the cost of 15 coins to prevent a game from having a reversed payoff structure. Additionally, if a payoff structure of a game is reversed twice, then it will have a normal payoff structure.
Earnings will not be announced publicly or privately until all four games have been played.

Because of Conrad's trip, this game will take a short break. You start with 100 coins. You have until Sunday 5pm CST to submit your bid list (how many coins you want to bet on each game, and whether or not you're spending insurance or reverse payoff structures). Yams and Hearts will be played on Tuesday 5pm CST, while the other two will be played on Wednesday 5pm CST.

Prize list:
1st: TOL, 1 vote
2nd: 1 vote
3rd: 1 vote
4th: elimination candidate, gets to choose one of 2nd and 3rd to bring into tribal, 0 votes

Last edited:
FINAL 3 CHALLENGE
Conquest

Welcome to the Final 3 challenge, and the jury portion of the game.

In the Final 3 challenge, you will be playing a modified version of diplomacy (one with only armies). Here is the map.

(R=Drey, Z=Zorbees, U=Dusk)

Each if you begin with four armies, located in your Base, your Garrison 2, and in midlands 1 and 3. The starting army size is influenced by the number of votes you get from the jury.

Below, I've edited the rules to diplomacy to reflect the fact that there are no fleets, sea tiles, and no convoys possible in this version. I promise that it should take you no more than 15 minutes to fully understand the game. Diplomacy is one of my favorite games and I'm happy to talk to you about the rules.

Deadlines for this game will be 24/12/12 (24 hours for movement, 12 for retreat, 12 for build), but I'm flexible to change. I expect this game to last at least one week under these time controls. If the finalists agree to it, we can do a portion of this game live.

The object of the game is to use your armies to conquer as much of the map. Specifically, you must capture and be in possession of at least 13 of the 25 districts that contain supply centres - i.e. a simple majority - at the end of a year. One of the 13 districts you must possess in order to win is SIN.

Each player is given four home supply centers (B, G2, M1 and M3). These spaces are the starting point for their owning power's initial forces. The players can then build new units at these home supply centers as they capture further supply centers. New units can only be built on a power's home supply centers. If a power loses all of its home supply centers it may continue to play; however, it may not build new units until it has recaptured at least one of its home supply centers.

All units in Diplomacy move only one space at a time and only one unit may occupy any space at any time.

Gameplay begins in the year 1901, and there are two moves or Movement Phases per year, one in Spring, and one in Fall.

• Before each move, orders for all of a player's units are written in secret and submitted to the Hal, who then makes all necessary adjustments to the board/map.
  • If a unit is dislodged as a result of the move (overpowered by other players), the player must submit Retreat Phase orders that the unit either be retreated to an unoccupied adjacent province or else disbanded and removed from play.
    • A unit may not retreat to the province from where the dislodging unit came or to an "embattled" province, meaning one left vacant by a bounce/standoff that turn.
    • If a unit has no legal retreats, or it attempts to retreat to the same province as another retreating unit, it is disbanded.
  • After the Fall move and the subsequent Retreat Phase, and before the next year begins, a tally is made of the total number of supply centers controlled by each Power. A Power controls a supply center if 1) it has a unit (army or fleet) occupying the province with that supply center or 2) the province with the supply center is unoccupied and the Power was the last to occupy that province at the end of a year. Each supply center can support one military unit, so Powers that have gained supply centers over the course of the year can build new units. New units may be created at any of the player's unoccupied home supply centers, but only at these centers, and at most one unit per center. For this reason, no more than 3 new units per player can ever be created at a time (except in the case of Russia, which has 4 home supply centers).
  • On the other hand, if a Power has more units than supply centers at the end of the year, then it must disband units of its choice until it has equal numbers of units and supply centers.
There are three valid orders you can give for your units: hold, attack, and support.

Hold
This is the default for all units (what they will do if not given any other orders). The unit will stay in its position, and will not move, support, convoy, or do anything. Holding units can be supported by units in neighboring provinces or be attacked by foreign units. If the attacking unit has more units supporting it than the holding unit, the holding unit is ousted from that province and must either retreat or disband (see above).

A hold order is written as follows:

Army (Province that the unit is in) holds.

Example: Zorbees: Army ZG2 holds

Attack/Move
This order moves the unit in one province to an adjacent province.
A unit may not move into a province held by another unit unless it has support. As units may be supported either in attacking a province or in holding a province, the attacking unit must have more support than the defending unit if the attack is to be successful. If the attack is not successful, the attacking unit does not move anywhere.

A move order is written as follows:

Army/Fleet (Province that the unit is in) to (destination province).

Examples: Zorbees: Army ZM3 to ZM5

Support
Support is the trickiest aspect of the rules, and the most important of the game. Support may involve cooperation between two (or more) powers, and is the only way to make forward progress through enemy territory (unless you can convince the enemy to let you in). Simply put, more support defeats less support.

The support order is given in reference to another unit's move. That other unit's move must be to a province into which the supporting unit could otherwise move. Support may also be given to a unit holding its position. In addition, units giving support can themselves be supported in their holding position.

Support is a unit's sole action for a given move, and supporting units remain where they are (unless they are attacked by greater support and have to retreat or disband during the retreat phase).

Cutting Support: If the supporting unit is attacked during the turn by some other unit, its support is cut. In effect, the support order becomes a hold order, as the unit must defend its province against the attack. Note that a unit occupying the province into which the support is directed cannot cut support, unless its attack successfully dislodges the supporting unit.

Support orders are written thus:
Army/Fleet (Space that the supporting unit is in) supports Army/Fleet (Space that the supported unit is in) to (destination of supported unit)
or
Army/Fleet (Space that the supporting unit is in) supports Army/Fleet (Space that the supported unit is holding)

Examples:
Zorbees: Army ZM3 to ZM5
Army ZM6 supports Army ZM3 to ZM5

Now I will explain the jury phase and how that will affect the final 3 game.

Eliminated players are given the chance to give their support to a finalist. Finalists may talk to eliminated players publicly in the discord channel #general, and I encourage finalists to submit a public opening statement that describes their play this game and why they deserve to be helped. Eliminated players may converse among themselves as well.

Eliminated players may not help finalists with Diplomacy strategy or rules.

At Monday 5pm CST, I will tally the amount of votes each finalist got. Each vote (up to four votes) gained by a finalist earns them one additional unit at the start of the game in the following order: xM5->xO2->xO4->xO6 (this does not turn these SC into home SC). Every additional vote cast for a finalist over 5 instead decreases the number of starting units of both players by 1 (with units removed in the order of xO6 xO4 xO2 xM5 xM1 xM3 xG2).

Players will also get to name their districts because I think that would be fun.

Have at it! And congratulations again to the three finalists.

Attachments

Last edited:

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm going to run through my game with you so you can get an understanding of how I played, why I did what I did, and why I think you should give me your support.

My overall game plan was to use a good social and strategic game in order to survive votes without forcing myself into committing too much to certain people or a particular plan. I never had a single hard alliance, but worked together on at least some level with most of the people in the game at some point. I think the fact that I was able to make it to the finals without an alliance shows how strong of a player I was. I never even felt like I was in a situation where I had to win immunity in order to survive.

Wall of text btw

Coming into the start of the first MM, I knew I'd be in a bit of a crossroads. I had some ties with viper, AJ, Hannah, and Drookez from past survivor games, I've played with Lightwolf in countless games in the past, played a bit with Josh, Isa, and Dusk, and I knew I would want to form relationships with the newcomers to the Smogon scene. I tried to play a little bit of both sides early on, the survivor people had a groupchat and I'd also formed a group with Josh, Conrad, and Drey. However, I think I tried to play the middle a bit too much, as Viper, AJ, and Drey got up in r1 and Conrad and Hannah got up in r2 while I was still stuck needing to get out. Additionally, due to some circumstances, I had started to distrust Josh and had talked to some people about what I thought had happened, which led Josh to trust me less. In the last round, OM was talking to people in heaven to try to get me out, but people like Hannah and Conrad who were up there tried to help me out. I feel like I ended up in a spot where I could choose who went home that round, because I still had a redirect to use and I of course had my own votes. I ended up choosing to get Drookez out, despite the fact that Drookez gave me his 3 vote. It was a really tough decision because I knew it would piss off AJ, Viper, and Hannah, but I felt like I was at the bottom of that group in that they would help each other before helping me. I felt like I could build a relationship with Josh and Reds and was hoping that the survivor people would still be open to working with me.

The second MM, I basically worked alone. My only goal was to avoid coming last, so I was playing it extra safe. Viper agreed to take a bunch of my coins off my hand, claiming he wanted to come last, and while I was a bit suspicious, I agreed to it because I thought it was more likely to help my goal of avoiding last than hurting it, even if he was lying about that. Hannah ended up coming last and she picked me to be the elimination candidate, which really hurt me. I felt like Hannah had probably discussed with AJ and Viper on who to pick, and I felt like if they were willing to pick me to be eliminated, it was going to be hard to work with them moving forward. I made my pitches to stay in the game, and fortunately enough I was able to get the votes.

The third MM was one where I thought there was some room to work in small groups. After it was obvious that Isa and Reds were going to hog beach C, I started formulating a plan. What ended up happening was that me and Lightwolf came together and decided that I would drop publicly towards the edge of one of the beaches, and then LW would drop behind me privately the next cycle. I told a couple of people, I think at least Conrad and Drey, that I would be dropping on a low number on beach A, and after the results of r1 were revealed, it was obvious AJ was a private stand near me. Our plan was in jeopardy of not getting 2 TOLs due to the way Beach B was split, but due to the short cycles, we had a hard time adapting our plan. I think I made a mistake in letting Lightwolf do all the talking to Josh here, but I thought we could still do some work if AJ was willing to cooperate with us and move down the beach to A6. After r2, it was clear AJ didn't move, and I didn't have a lot of room to play with unless I were to go against AJ or Lightwolf and their private stands. I was a bit mad about AJ not cooperating the previous round, and with my history with that group, I couldn't betray Lightwolf when AJ was available as an option. This point was the only point in the entire 7DS where I knowingly lied to someone, and it resulted in AJ getting last place. In round 4, Lightwolf and I had a couple of options to discuss. We knew we wouldn't both get tokens, but I was afraid of AJ picking me for the voteoff since I lied to him, and Lightwolf agreed to sacrifice himself to try to shoot me into 4th place. Unfortunately I didn't get there, but AJ picked Lightwolf instead of me as the elimination candidate, and Lightwolf ended up eliminated. I was saddened by this as we had just worked together and seemed to have a decent relationship, but I felt like my relationships with Conrad and Drey were slowly improving and I still had confidence in myself to be able to get myself a TOL, even if I hadn't done well thus far.

The fourth MM was something I was fairly confident I could do well in after having experienced the previous version in one of the past survivor games. I knew that like 90% of the game would be doing the predictions list accurately, so I didn't really share mine with anyone and only gave general advice for this. When the champions were revealed, only myself, Conrad, Drey, and Josh had not picked duplicate champions, and we thought it was possible that the other 6 were all working together this round. After seeing this, I made deals with Conrad and Drey to buff each of their champions' stamina if they would buff mine. Once the simulation started running, it was clear that most people did not collaborate on their predictions, which made me a bit more comfortable that there wasn't a big alliance forming that I wasn't a part of. I got 1st here, one of my prouder moments of this game, and OM, who had wanted me out for a while, got last and was eliminated in the vote. A satisfying round for me.

The fifth MM was one where I knew I would not be able to count on my skills too much, as I'm not particularly good at flash games and there was very little social interaction, information exchange, and things of that nature to be done here. I was offline for most of the team picking, and when I came back there were just 2 slots left. I picked to team with aj and josh because I thought that if we lost, I could very likely beat aj in a vote and I thought I had ok chances against josh, and I would have been comfortable with either of them going at this stage (although I liked Josh, we got off to a rocky start in 7DS due to the way the first MM played out). Unfortunately we came in last, and I was once again put up for the vote, but against aj I wasn't too worried, especially since OM left the previous round.

The 6th MM was a weird one. I had figured that information would be the key for this game, because I had incorrectly assumed that all 5 machines had some sort of pattern. I talked to Josh early on and he told me to pull machine 2 6 times to get the pattern, which was pretty obvious. After experimenting a bit, I had initially figured that each machine's pulls only affected each player separately, but this was proven wrong when I pulled two 120s in a row with a decent gap in the middle of the pulls. I went to bed having only used 31 of my first 75 pulls, and Conrad PMed me telling me he had figured out an easy way to guarantee good results. It turns out that Conrad figured out that you could pull from the machines after you had finished your 75 pulls, it just wouldn't affect your score. So we agreed that for the rest of the first 75, he would set me up to get repeated 120s, and then I would do the same for him for the second 75. I ended up getting like 8300 for the first 75, which was probably towards the top. Conrad also gave me data from his pulls for machines 3 and 4, and I was able to calculate the averages which ended up being very close to what they actually were, so for the second 75, i just pulled machine 4 with the highest average 75 times, which ended up getting me a similar score to my score from the first half. Conrad and I were both able to get TOLs here due to this strategy, and another person who I'd had trouble working with, viper, was voted out here.

7th MM was obviously going bad for me but Reds ended up leaving the game. Its hard to tell exactly what would have happened here had the MM continued but I will not deny that it ended up helping me.

8th MM was a tough one, it was really hard to figure out how the game would work considering we had to play 3 rounds at a time, but when Isa jumped out with a bunch of points, I was feeling comfortable. My main target here was Dusk but unfortunately he jumped into 2nd place at the very end, then Isa ended up picking me for the vote.

9th MM was where the game shifted a lot. The 4 of us had decided upon a plan to lock dusk out and keep him in last, but Conrad wouldn't oblige by it, saying it felt unfair. After the challenge went on, it was clear I was going to be last, and had to pick between Dusk or Josh to take to the vote. Dusk PMed me saying that Josh and Conrad were playing both sides and pitting us against each other, and that Josh, Conrad, and Drey had a final 3 alliance from the beginning of the game. I wasn't 100% sure whether to believe him but I felt that it made too much sense not to. Additionally, towards the end of the game, Drey was telling me about how that alliance had fallen apart and that they were all mad at each other a bunch. I thought that Dusk was the bigger jury threat but I was unsure if I had the votes to get rid of him, so I took the safe play and picked josh for the vote, and he went home unanimously.

10th MM was a doozy. Conrad, Drey and I had a plan to put 150 on hearts between the three of us and make sure that one of us won, so that Dusk couldn't get a TOL. I won't go into the whole hearts time fiasco but I ended up winning the replay and securing my spot in the F3. Unfortunately, between the hearts fiasco, their alliance falling apart, and other factors, Drey wanted Conrad out instead of Dusk, so there wasn't much I could do here.

Something I really enjoyed about this game was that I felt like I formed real bonds with many of the players. I usually try to focus more on the individual games than on the players I'm playing with, but obviously any game where you are voting people out is going to be a social game, and I felt like I thrived in that aspect.

Drookez Getting you out was one of the toughest decisions I had to make in this game, and I hope you don't take it personally. I know we haven't talked a ton but I knew you were willing to work with me, and it is always hard to get someone out who wants you to stay in the game. At that point, I didn't really want anyone left to be out of the game. When I heard about OM leading the charge to get me out from heaven, I thought that the best move for me would be to try to get out someone who would be the closest to OM, and I thought that was you out of the people that were up for elimination. Additionally, I felt like while you did want to work with me, I figured you'd probably be closer to the other survivor people than you would be with me.

Hannahh Man this was a rough one. You were probably my favorite person out of the survivor crew, no offense to the rest of you guys, so I was really sad when you picked me for elimination. I felt like we could have worked together for quite a while. I'd still love to work with you in future games, it just didn't work out in this one.

LightWolf This was a tough one for me, considering how much we had worked together over this round. I was really grateful for your sacrifice, even if I didn't even end up with a token. I think we saw things pretty similarly at times and pretty differently at other times, but I always knew you were open to working with me if the situation arose, and that's really all I can ask for.

OM room I doubt I'll get your support, the way our relationship was during the game, but I might as well try. I honestly didn't really have anything against you until I had heard that you were gunning for me. In that first game, I was sincere in the plan that I thought was happening between us, Isa, and Dusk. Then in the second game, you had 2 votes and voted to eliminate me. I figured at this point that it was not going to be worth it to try to repair our relationship. I don't have any ill will outside of the game towards you, I just knew it would be hard to work with you the way things went early on.

ajhockeystar I know we didn't really work together that much in this game but I think that was more circumstance than anything about our individual relationship. Between me making you last in the hot dog game and the fact that we were on the opposite side of most of the votes, it just didn't work out well. I was hoping that we'd be able to repair our relationship after these things, but unfortunately we never had the chance to do so, as we were put up against each other in one of my least favorite challenges. Its a shame you couldn't have gotten that multitask run going a few minutes earlier to save yourself.

vooper Honestly I was the least sure of you out of the survivor alliance people based on our experiences in survivor. I mean you've voted me out twice early into the merge, it's hard to think that things would be different here. Still, I tried to work with you early on, hoping that we could at least use each other to mutually benefit each other. Sadly, the circumstances didn't work out too well. Once it got down to the final 8, things seemed pretty rough for you, as evidenced by the unanimous voteout. However, I felt like you barely reached out to me this round, and we hadn't really worked together since I unloaded my coins to you back in the second MM, so I didn't have too many issues with you leaving here. I feel like you are the type of player who respects good gameplay, and I feel like between my social and strategic games, I think I played better than anyone left.

Isa It ended up working out for me, but I always felt like we should have had more of a working relationship than we ended up having, and I know that part of that is my fault. I feel like you and I played pretty similar games, in that I don't think you had any hard alliances, except maybe with Reds. Even if we weren't always working that closely together, I felt like we had a decent relationship through most of the game; I feel like we talked to each other a bit through most of the MMs, and at least tried to stay out of each others' ways.

Josh Man, this was a weird relationship. I know we got off to a rocky start, but you saved my butt several times and I cannot thank you enough for that. I think you were one of the swing votes for the Hannah vote and you obviously helped at the end of the first MM. I was sad that you voted LightWolf out but I recognized that everyone has their own motivations and didn't hold it against you since you had saved me before that. We ended up working decently together but I always had some doubts about you in the back of my mind. Honestly, I didn't necessarily want you to go when you did, but I knew you'd be an easier target than dusk, and I was thinking that keeping Dusk in the game would allow Conrad, Drey, and I to be on the same page in the final 4, but unfortunately that didn't end up happening. And I mean, you yourself told me that I made the right move in picking you over Dusk.

SinnerConrad You were probably the person I was closest to for most of the game. We always had a good working relationship, and I think we were on the same side of every vote. I greatly enjoyed meeting you and working together with you. I don't think I really need to say much more that hasn't already been said in PM sometime.

If any of the jurors have questions for me, feel free to ask on discord and I will get to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)