Resource Natdex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Need some help building HO for the tier. Would like to know if there's some guidelines, sample teams and/or cores to build from. Cheers!
Generally with HO you want a lead and Pokemon that force progress. Landorus-T and Mew are the best leads in the tier but for a more practical one I would go Landorus-T most of the time. Unfortunately there are no sample teams for HO so instead I'll provide you with this mainly as an example of what HO looks like in the metagame and the common Pokemon you see on it.

There are also quite a lot of Pokemon you can use on HO that are not on this team. Mega Garchomp has a strong niche on HO since Swords Dance + Scale Shot is extremely dangerous, Mega Aerodactyl even though it's very niche and really not that good, Zapdos-Galar or Bisharp if you want something to deter Defog etc.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

Generally with HO you want a lead and Pokemon that force progress. Landorus-T and Mew are the best leads in the tier but for a more practical one I would go Landorus-T most of the time. Unfortunately there are no sample teams for HO so instead I'll provide you with this mainly as an example of what HO looks like in the metagame and the common Pokemon you see on it.

There are also quite a lot of Pokemon you can use on HO that are not on this team. Mega Garchomp has a strong niche on HO since Swords Dance + Scale Shot is extremely dangerous, Mega Aerodactyl even though it's very niche and really not that good, Zapdos-Galar or Bisharp if you want something to deter Defog etc.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:
It does, immensely, thank you very much!

I have a few questions though:

-Should I consider dropping Magearna considering it might be banned in a few hours? Even if not, I did make it into the 1500s using a HO with it this week, so I kinda want to try something different.

-Is Lando really better than Excadrill? Admittedly, I haven't really found much use for Mold Breaker, but I thought I'd ask since I've found some success with the later.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I'm glad that my answer helped you! As for your questions

-Should I consider dropping Magearna considering it might be banned in a few hours? Even if not, I did make it into the 1500s using a HO with it this week, so I kinda want to try something different.
I'd say yes, assuming it does get banned of course, dropping Magearna for something else is definitely the right call.

-Is Lando really better than Excadrill? Admittedly, I haven't really found much use for Mold Breaker, but I thought I'd ask since I've found some success with the later.
I'd say yes, not only does it have some defensive utility since it is a ground immune and a volt blocker, but also because of the fact that unlike Excadrill, it has Explosion, so it can kill itself on the spot and provide momentum for its teammates, Excadrill has Steel Beam which while not bad, doesn't have the offensive utility like Explosion does.

Hi! I'm glad that my answer helped you! As for your questions

I'd say yes, assuming it does get banned of course, dropping Magearna for something else is definitely the right call.

I'd say yes, not only does it have some defensive utility since it is a ground immune and a volt blocker, but also because of the fact that unlike Excadrill, it has Explosion, so it can kill itself on the spot and provide momentum for its teammates, Excadrill has Steel Beam which while not bad, doesn't have the offensive utility like Explosion does.
Thank you again!

One last question, what should I put instead of Magearna? I thought about Volcarona, Subplot Gengar and special Kommo-O, but not sure what should be the pick.

Although it is low ladder, my opponent was saying how he uses non-scarf ditto and that it's amazing for ND.

I realize how it's probably one of the best anti-stall picks available.

He uses it as a pivot vs bulkier mons and doesn't expect to revenge kill or check HO mons (that's what his defensive core is for).

Still with that kind of strategy, I'm wondering what are some drawbacks to using non-scarf ditto other than taking up a slot?

Avery

Banned deucer.
Although it is low ladder, my opponent was saying how he uses non-scarf ditto and that it's amazing for ND.

He uses it as a pivot vs bulkier mons and doesn't expect to revenge kill or check HO mons (that's what his defensive core is for).

Still with that kind of strategy, I'm wondering what are some drawbacks to using non-scarf ditto other than taking up a slot?
You can still pivot Scarf Ditto into mons you don't expect to revenge kill, such as Toxapex or Blissey, to get Regenerator recovery or Natural Cure healing, respectively. Stall is still very easily beatable with Scarf Ditto + a Regenerator Pokemon, though that tends to go to infinite turns. Losing out on Choice Scarf is a huge detriment though, as not being able to revenge kill and limit offensive Pokemon's ability to set up takes away Ditto's use entirely.

You gotta have some mad patience if you plan on using Ditto as a stallbreaker of sorts. There's the advantage that, even against faster teams, you can bluff scarf, but, for drawbacks:

-There's much, much, better stallbreakers as in, they do the job more consistently and faster;

- Like you said, against faster teams, that Ditto is basically dead weight; you can bluff the scarf and try winning speed ties, but that's not something you'd rely on to win consistently;

- I don't know what kind of team he was running, but, if it's bulky offence, Ditto sucks up your momentum and gives none back unless you copy an opposing pivot; if it's balance, you rely on your opponent to be able to copy something that keeps your gameplan going; if it's stall... I've actually seen some stall teams using Ditto a while ago (don't know if it was scarf or not) and I don't really play stall, do idk.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
On the player survey, it says that the council have considered retesting Blaziken. Just out of interest, would this include Blazikenite or would it just be regular Blaziken?

On the player survey, it says that the council have considered retesting Blaziken. Just out of interest, would this include Blazikenite or would it just be regular Blaziken?
This does not include Blazikenite, just regular Blaziken. We admittedly should have clarified that but i believe the community is in consensus that Mega Blaziken is incredibly strong, and likely too strong for the current metagame.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
what is the set(s) for offensive NP hydreigon rn? i went on the dex but it literally have nothing

what is the set(s) for offensive NP hydreigon rn? i went on the dex but it literally have nothing
Hi, I'm still kinda new to NatDex, but I searched around and didn't find any commentary on Drei, at least not after Spectrier was banned (checking Trier might have been Drei's biggest role in NatDex to date).

Thus I think answering your question may be not easy for anyone to reply, and so I'm giving it a shot.

Something to note if you haven't already, is that it's ranked B+, so just know it has some flaws when compared to Tyranitar or Ash-Greninja as Dark types, or when compared to Mega Latias or Garchomp for the resists that Dragon provides.

Seeing that Blissey and Teleport could really put Drei in a bad spot, then you might want to consider Superpower to at least punish and limit Blissey before it ports out. Hits Heatran decently and hits Tyranitar hard too.

If I had to use NP Drei now, then I'd try out an Expert Belt set like this: https://pokepast.es/46ee1e4727484881
I feel when you only have 2 special attacks and you will be planning on using NP in the late game, then Expert Belt is better than Life Orb since I think the recoil without roost can be very detrimental.
Hasty since taking Magma Storms is one of it's main roles.

Hi, I'm still kinda new to NatDex, but I searched around and didn't find any commentary on Drei, at least not after Spectrier was banned (checking Trier might have been Drei's biggest role in NatDex to date).

Thus I think answering your question may be not easy for anyone to reply, and so I'm giving it a shot.

Something to note if you haven't already, is that it's ranked B+, so just know it has some flaws when compared to Tyranitar or Ash-Greninja as Dark types, or when compared to Mega Latias or Garchomp for the resists that Dragon provides.

Seeing that Blissey and Teleport could really put Drei in a bad spot, then you might want to consider Superpower to at least punish and limit Blissey before it ports out. Hits Heatran decently and hits Tyranitar hard too.

If I had to use NP Drei now, then I'd try out an Expert Belt set like this: https://pokepast.es/46ee1e4727484881
I feel when you only have 2 special attacks and you will be planning on using NP in the late game, then Expert Belt is better than Life Orb since I think the recoil without roost can be very detrimental.
Hasty since taking Magma Storms is one of it's main roles.
It's great that you're starting natdex, and while that certainly is a creative set, currently that is not Hydreigon's standard set for Nasty Plot.
:hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

This set is generally considered standard, with an option to add some minor spdef for Heatran. You can change up the coverage depending on what you want to hit, but Ground Z hits most of your checks neutrally, allowing you to potentially break them after some chip. Use it as a backup Greninja resist generally, so partners like Ferrothorn or Amoonguss are appreciated to help in this effort. Dragonium Z is an option thats been experimented with as well, being able to hit Blissey extremely hard, but with Blissey on a minor down trend recently, Superpower isnt much needed currently and Hydreigon can freely run its normal sets.

Last edited:
I would say gliscor could be the better rock setter but barely, this might be in part in due to that I hate using z lando (the best set that runs rocks). Lando provides a more offensive threat on defoggers but gliscor is able to stay in a game longer with poison heal and roost so gliscor is the better long term pick but lando is better short term due to threatening defoggers.

Avery

Banned deucer.
What are the main differences between :Gliscor: Gliscor and :Landorus-Therian: Landorus-T? Which is the best overall and why? Specifically, which one is the best Stealth Rock setter?

Thank you!
Gliscor is generally used for its ability to check Heatran + Poison Heal + Swords Dance sets being very potent wincons, Landorus-T can run a plethora of sets effectively, from utility to SD to Scarf, all while being very splashable. That said, Landorus-T is the better Stealth Rock setter as it can use Swords Dance + Stealth Rock + Z Move sets to threaten Defoggers to keep rocks up, whereas Gliscor requires Magnezone support to keep rocks up against Corviknight, and Zapdos is free to remove rocks as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)