Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
It would appear that a new bulky Volcarona set has emerged based on this last SPL week.
I'm talking about the Morning Sun / Will-o / Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance set.

What kind of EV's would that kind of Volcarona run?

if he's banned, r there any plans to free our favorite sabertooth weasel back into the OU meta once the home update rolls around? Any idea whether or not both zama forms, or only hero/crowned, will drop into the tier?

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
It would appear that a new bulky Volcarona set has emerged based on this last SPL week.
I'm talking about the Morning Sun / Will-o / Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance set.

What kind of EV's would that kind of Volcarona run?
This set was already the default for this generation
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain / Will-o-Wisp

108 Defence prevents Volcarona from being OHKOd by Booster Energy Great Tusk, CB Dragapult (although it doesn't do much back) and CB Chien-Pao's Sucker Punch and generally just decreases damage from Cinderace and Kingambit. It has enough Speed to outspeed everything in the tier unboosted at +1.

if he's banned, r there any plans to free our favorite sabertooth weasel back into the OU meta once the home update rolls around? Any idea whether or not both zama forms, or only hero/crowned, will drop into the tier?
Chien-Pao isn't banned. It never has been. For Zamazenta, I can't really say as I'm not council. Although it has been freed in National Dex, I don't see it staying. With here, I'd say the same, even with the addition of Home releases.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I barely know what I’m eating for dinner tonight, so not gonna say anything definitive here. But we will try to be more inclusive than not with home!

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Hello there,

I'm new around here. I just got into smogon and the competitive world, just trying some sets and try to understand how to build a team.
I'm currently playing with my friends on switch too and we are trying to make teams only with new mons from 9G.

Does anyone could help me to make a decent team with this restriction please?:blobthinking:

-I can use any new pokemon from this generation (so no Dragonite, Hydreigon, motisma..ect)
-No Miraidon/Koraidon allowed
- I can use "banned" pokemon thou, like Annihilape , Chi-Yu, Cyclizar...

What would be your advices? what team would you make?

Thank you.
This isn't the forum for these kinds of things. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; the OU subforum is for competitive discussion only, competitive discussion of SV OU.

The signature abilities of the Treasures of Ruin quartet (Wo-Chien, Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Chi-Yu) bypass Unaware right?

Can the Ruin abilities be swapped/suppressed on the user? After using a Skill Swap Victini entry last gen for a "Lure that Threat" entry that I played with briefly, "Ability changing" as a lure gimmick is something I'd kind of like to muck around with, and effectively stealing bulk from Ting-Lu like that sounds hilarious.

How does the protean+tera stabs combo work? I know that after tera you can't change your type anymore, but I'm curious about how the game counts the stab bonus when you tera.
Example: you change your type to a different one from your initial stabs and then tera to one of your initial types. The game counts the stab type you had when you use tera+ the tera one or counts the initial stabs + the tera one?

How does Salt Cure interact with type changes? If you cure a Steel type and it changes type, does it still lose 1/4 of its health or does it change to 1/8? Or vice versa from non-steel/water to steel/water?

How does Salt Cure interact with type changes? If you cure a Steel type and it changes type, does it still lose 1/4 of its health or does it change to 1/8? Or vice versa from non-steel/water to steel/water?
If you are a water that Terras or protean type changes into say fairy, you are now treated as fully fairy so it changes to 1/8th. This also true if you turn into a water, you will take 1/4 instead of 1/8.

Last edited:
How does the protean+tera stabs combo work? I know that after tera you can't change your type anymore, but I'm curious about how the game counts the stab bonus when you tera.
Example: you change your type to a different one from your initial stabs and then tera to one of your initial types. The game counts the stab type you had when you use tera+ the tera one or counts the initial stabs + the tera one?
So I'm not entirely sure I understand your question but I'll give it a shot. So using Greninja as an example it starts with STABs in Water and Dark and with Protean it can gain STAB on for example Ice through Ice Beam. So with just Protean the moves will do this:
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 87-102 (22.7 - 26.6%) -- 30.7% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 142-168 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

However if you Tera Water then Ice Beam will lose its STAB bonus:
252 SpA Tera Water Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 116-137 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 37.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Tera Water Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Abomasnow: 95-112 (24.8 - 29.2%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

So if you Tera into any type, you lose any sort of Protean STAB bonus, but will retain STAB on your natural/current types and the type you Tera'd into.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)