Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

When reading about the CAP Pokemon on the Smogdex, Aurumoth really stands out due to its incredible stats-- it has a pseudo-legendary's BST, and on top of that, an astounding number of powerful, type-diverse attacks, many of which benefit from No Guard. However, it is only C-rank on the viability rankings, and its top-listed set on the Smogdex is Choice Scarf Final Gambit/Healing Wish, which doesn't make any use of its incredible stats beyond that chunky HP. I know that the Smogdex and the viability rankings aren't the be-all end-all in terms of what's "good" or "bad", but why is Aurumoth not more widely used?

I can definitely see that sub-95 Speed stat being unfortunate in a lot of scenarios. And the S and A+ ranks contain lots of Pokemon that Aurumoth would really hate facing, like Tornadus-T, Dragapult, Weavile, Zapdos, and Heatran. But even then, Aurumoth's stats and movepool are not at all what I'd expect from a C-rank Pokemon. It can boost its Speed with Dragon Dance to deal with offensive Pokemon that outspeed and KO it (although it doesn't have a whole lot of physical attacks), and its wide movepool means it can choose what defensively checks it, though it can't hit them all at once. Maybe someone more familiar with the CAP meta can explain what's holding Aurumoth back?

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
When reading about the CAP Pokemon on the Smogdex, Aurumoth really stands out due to its incredible stats-- it has a pseudo-legendary's BST, and on top of that, an astounding number of powerful, type-diverse attacks, many of which benefit from No Guard. However, it is only C-rank on the viability rankings, and its top-listed set on the Smogdex is Choice Scarf Final Gambit/Healing Wish, which doesn't make any use of its incredible stats beyond that chunky HP. I know that the Smogdex and the viability rankings aren't the be-all end-all in terms of what's "good" or "bad", but why is Aurumoth not more widely used?

I can definitely see that sub-95 Speed stat being unfortunate in a lot of scenarios. And the S and A+ ranks contain lots of Pokemon that Aurumoth would really hate facing, like Tornadus-T, Dragapult, Weavile, Zapdos, and Heatran. But even then, Aurumoth's stats and movepool are not at all what I'd expect from a C-rank Pokemon. It can boost its Speed with Dragon Dance to deal with offensive Pokemon that outspeed and KO it (although it doesn't have a whole lot of physical attacks), and its wide movepool means it can choose what defensively checks it, though it can't hit them all at once. Maybe someone more familiar with the CAP meta can explain what's holding Aurumoth back?
There are quite a few reasons Aurumoth is not considered to be that great in the SS CAP metagame. Chief among them is its poor typing, giving it a whopping 5 weaknesses and a weakness to Stealth Rock while doing its STAB attacks no favors due to the prevalence of Fairy and Steel types. Its poor special bulk is another handicap, leaving it easily revenge killed by Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Dragapult, and, perhaps most importantly, Tornadus-T, which can never miss its Hurricane against it due to No Guard. While it does have good coverage, it is overall quite prediction reliant as a wallbreaker, being outclassed by Dragapult, Tapu Lele, and Blacephalon, and as a sweeper, as SS CAP plays host to more consistent, more dangerous win conditions like Weavile, Stratagem, Blaziken, and Cawmodore. The metagame is not friendly to it and it doesn't have the raw power to make a name for itself, relegating it to being a Final Gambit user, which it is ok at due to its high HP stat (110) allowing it to OHKO Garchomp and its access to Blizzard, which is a good Dragapult deterrent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)