SM UU "Sleep is the cousin of death" Luke + Maero BO

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Introduction
Hola, this is my first RMT. I made this team a while back and it is definitely one of my favorites. This team spawned from another team I made featuring the same core of Lucario + Mega Aerodactyl w/ Pursuit. Lucario is a super fun mon in this meta imo, it's one of the most reliable Staka answers on offense and has a great stall m/u with NP.

Teambuilding Process

So this is the team im showcasing today lads:

However, to get to how that team came to be, we must first go over how this team came to be:

So, I started building this team when I had the sudden urge to build around Lucario, and everyone knows how good Lucario can be with Pursuit support. So I added Mega Aerodactyl w/ Pursuit. Mega Aerodactyl specifically came to mind because of it's immunity to ground, ability to be a Gliscor answer w/ Ice Fang, it's Rock typing allows it to check things like Mega Pidgeot and Moltres that can also give Lucario a hard time, and it obviously has access to Pursuit.

Now w/ Tentacruel, it's pretty simple really. I needed a consistent Azu and Scizor check... and obviously a team with Mega Aerodactyl needs some removal. Tentacruel was obviously the first pokemon that came to mind since it can do all of those things pretty efficiently.

So Serperior comes in here to help the stall m/u even more w/ a sub seed set... but the main thing is to pressure shit like Swampert. Swampert gives this so far some trouble as it is extremely difficult to break and/or beats the majority of the squad. It also helps the bulky water m/u in general tbh.

Now Sylveon is here as the wish passer that can check dragons (obviously.) But I've been a big fan of Sylveon w/ Mega Aerodactyl on balance teams, the combo does a good job at keeping Lati at bay since Maero w/ Pursuit can deal w/ non Scarf variants of Lati p well, and Scarf variants of Lati are dealt with by Sylveon p easily... the wish passing is also just helpful on a team that's weak to rocks and has very little recovery aside from wish. Helps glue the team together you know.

Marowak seemed to fit so perfectly here... I needed rocks, a Mega Manectric check, another Scizor check would be nice, and also a Breloom check was super necessary... Marowak fits perfectly right?

Now this team above is how I came up with my team, this team isn't that good to me, it HARD loses to Mega Aerodactly, and Marowak is generally extremely underwhelming almost every time I use it... on top of this my removal isn't capable of coming in on ground type rockers (Krook, Swampert, Hippo, etc.), which usually give Maero the most difficult time. I ended up heavily editing this team into the team that it is today.

The final product of the team turned out to be this. As you can see there are quite a few changes. I turned the Marowak into a Swampert to help with the Mega Aerodactyl issue, and also give me something for Mega Manectric (which was Marowak's job before.) Now with this I hard lose to Breloom, so I made sure to fit mah boy Chandelure to fill in for Marowak as a Scizor and Breloom answer. Having Chandelure as a Scizor answer gives me more freedom to change my hazard removal... I wanted removal that could come in on shit like Swampert, and that could also fuck with Azumarill since the matchup is lookin tough. I came up with Tsareena, which w/ my experience does a great job at keeping things like Scizor and Azumarill at bay from just clicking priority against Mega Aero whenever they want, also it does SO much damage, and helps with the bulky water m/u a ton :D.

In Depth

Lucario is what I built the squad around, I think it's a great and underrated pokemon rn in the uu meta. I went with a standard NP Lucario set w/ Focus Blast > Aura Sphere to make use of the Fightium Z to NUKE shit like Blissey.
Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Mega Aerodactyl is the pursuit support that pretty much every team centered around Lucario needs. Pursuit is so helpful for that mon because of it's struggles of breaking things like Lati. However, I chose Maero to be that pursuit support over Muk because of Maero's ability to pressure things Lucario also has struggles with. For example: Moltres, Gliscor, Breloom (kinda), etc. The Gliscor issue that Lucario has is why I chose to ran Ice Fang on this Maero, which OHKOs most variants of Gliscor after rocks.
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

As stated previously, Sylveon is here to glue the team together by doing what it does best, being a cleric. Sylveon is also my main switch in to things like Lati and Hydreigon. Since this team lacks a steel, I went with a little bit of SpDef investment to take Psychics from Lati better, also 8 Speed to beat other base 60s. Aside from this, pretty standard Cleric Sylveon.
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Chandelure is here for the reasons stated in the Teambuilding Process, Scizor/Loom answer, etc. etc. Onto the set, I went with a Scarf set w/ a neat tech in Sleep Talk. I did thise to more consistently switch into Breloom and Amoonguss and still be able to pressure them despite being asleep. I got this set from Pearl's squad on Break This Team (before I used this set it was Sub CM Chandy, which also worked but made the Serperior issue much more annoying.) I went Flame Body over Infiltrator for a much more consistent Scizor answer, which I thought was more important than Serp here.
Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Tsareena is pretty important to the team as it can offensively check Azumarill and really mess with it when it clicks Aqua Jet, provides hazard removal, and even gives me a secondary Breloom check. This thing also comes in for free on all of the ground type rockers (although it is scared of a Scald burn from Swampert.) The spread is to speed creep Primarina. Also, this is absurd: 252+ Atk Rose Incense Tsareena Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 146-172 (55.9 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis

Swampert is here as my much needed Maero answer, Mega Manectric answer, rocker, physical wall, etc. I went with 20 SpA to 2HKO SpDef-less Gliscors. I also went with a neat tech in Counter, to fuck wit Azus even more considering my Play Rough switch in is Chandelure lmao. Pretty standard aside from this tho.
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Counter

Threatlist
Azumarill/Primarina - I can somewhat pressure these things with Tsareena n shit but for the most part... if one of these 2 mons come in and click fairy move, something is more than likely dying.

Scarfers/Dragon Dancers - This team's method of speed control is Mega Aerodactyl and Vacuum Wave on Lucario. Letting something get to +1 Attack +1 Speed means you either have something that can hopefully take the hit(s), or some bodies are droppin.

Serperior - This thing isn't too big of an issue, if I play it right it shouldn't ever be sweeping me. But if I somehow let this thing get to +2 behind sub I am going to wish I had Infiltrator on this Chandelure.

Scizor + Pursuit - If I let Chandy die, my team is pretty much at Scizor's mercy. Because of this, I need to play extra carefully around teams like Volt Turn w/ Pursuit support.

Z Belch Hydreigon - My way of dealing with Hydreigon is literally just Sylveon. Unboosted no Life Orb V-Wave isn't gonna be doing enough, so w/o Sylveon I think this team has an extremely hard time dealing with this mon, especially since it comes in for free on Chandelure.

CM Lati - This matchup is definitely doable because of the combination of Sylveon + Pursuit on Maero, also Chandelure w/ Scarf outspeeds Lati. However if I let this mon get to like +2, I think the game might be relying on Stone Edges hitting, Shadow Ball/Hyper Voice crits, etc.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Counter

sei - Day 1 UU homie, gl w/ ur training shit and we'll miss u for the couple months your gone. Thanks for everything.
Sage of the 6 - Generally super supportive and always there when I need her to be, randomly started interacting w/ me when we were both doing Research Week and eventually I realized you were a super chill, thanks for everything.
bnast - my boy
Jake - Another day 1 UU homie, part of the original goon squad, best alts on PS no doubt :100: Thanks for everything.
watfor - Literally like the most positive presence on PS your a legend!!! Thanks for everything.
surg, a sparrow, cake - Literally just spammed you guys for questions until I at least somewhat knew what I was doing, and still do spam y'all... I wouldn't be where I'm at now w/o y'all. All tree of y'all are also just really good friends that I enjoy talking to. Thanks for everything.
Amane Misa - Literally one of the nicest people ever, always down to talk when I need something. Thanks for everything.
altariaoffense - Another one of the nicest people ever, people like you make this community much better. Thanks for everything.
pif/Mengy - Literally two of the funniest people on PS, y'all make me smile all the time ty ty. Thanks for everything.
Anish - shit user.
rekeri - Be more active we miss you all the time your the best!! Thanks for everything.
Chloe - Haven't been talking to you for that long but your genuinely really fun to talk to. Thanks for everything.
yeezyknows - The lord of fat balance, super chill and always down to help when I need it. Thanks for everything.
DraconisLepis - I'm always down to talk if you ever need to talk n_n, your the best. Thanks for everything.
Mamph - criiiiiiinggeee.
CSB - Thanks for everything you've done more for me than you know, deadass. Been a great friend and just a great person to talk to pretty much every time I see you online, you have a presence that most people don't have. Crusty assssssss.
hotfuzzball - :D hotfuzzball
Ark - Generally gives great advice whenever I need it, super positive influence and chill dude. Thanks for everything.
Aurella - <3_<3
St. vowels - Known you longer than most, always super positive and generally fun to be around. Thanks for everything.
wuhoodude - P sure I've lost almost every encounter we've had on the ladder, Bewear fuckin terrifies me because of you. Also a super chill goon that I fuck w/. Thanks for everything.
Kink - I've gotten a lot better because of you, from my experiences w/ you your super chill and fun to talk to, you also have that competitive fire that I like to think I have as well. Thanks for everything.
Nightingales - I appreciate you so much you always make me smile with the random ass shit you say, we all love you don't ever think differently. Thanks for everything.
ilct - Best builder on the planet, top 5 dead or alive no argument.
dingbat - killbat.
marthaa - I love talking to you, your too hard on yourself all the time. You're amazing. Thanks for everything.
d2p2 - Literally one of the cutest users of all time, a super positive presence that never fails to make me smile. You're adorable. Thanks for everything.
Clarion/Euphonos - Super cool guy, ty for having me as a judge on Iron Chef, the first season I participated in was super fun and it even helped me get a little better at this game. Thanks for everything.
DaddyBi - I shoulda won that uuvr game AAAAAAAAA. Thanks for everything.
SnowyOP - mediocre league player >:^D. Thanks for everything.
Durza - Not as bad as most people think.
Accelgor - Another one of the most positive people ever, your the goat. One of the chillest dudes on PS... Thanks for everything.
miven - Super chill, always coo to talk to and a p lit player. Electrode is broke. Thanks for everything.
notily - Super dope guy highkey, don't talk to as much as I should tbh. Thanks for everything.
whalesy - We don't talk all that much but I love talking to you when we do. Listening to music with you is also super fun, ily and never change :]. Thanks for everything.

I def missed a bunch I'm so sorry if I forgot you ;-; I tried to get as many people as possible. Regardless you know I love you :D

Conclusion
As always this squad is a WIP despite me saying it's "finished" it can always be better. I was looking for the right team to do an RMT with, I think I have made better teams than this for sure, but this team just has a vibe to it that I really enjoy when I play with it. :D Lmk y'alls' thoughts!

BAP

Last edited:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
G'day mate, really nice looking team and congrats on making Team Showcase n_n

So we discussed this briefly on discord but I'd like to lay down an official rate to go along with this team, hopefully we can address some of its' weaknesses without changing too much.

Before we get too far into my rate I'd also like to point out some other threats to this team, that others may come across whilst using it on ladder.
- Volturn teams with HP Grass M-Manectric: which can be annoying alongside Scizor + Hydreigon.
- Bulky Dragon Dance M-Altaria: can 2hko Sylveon at +1, isn't threatened by Swampert & can take 2 Balls from Chandelure (heh).
- Choice Specs/AoA Z Thunder Nihilego: annoying as heck to switch into (but can be played around!).
- Z Superpower Breloom + Alola-Muk: Painful trying to switch into Breloom, Muk traps your best switch-in.
- Sludge Bomb/Wave Tentacruel w/ Tspikes: can 2hko Tsareena, walls Sylveon, Lucario & Chandelure and Tspikes aren't fun.
- M-Abomasnow: lead versus Swampert nice switch-ins, keeps Soundproof versus Sylveon - free set up!

So I've listed what I think are common nuisances to your team, let's get onto my proposed changes!

First up, I think addressing your massive lack of switch-ins to Fairy types with a sturdy Poison type would be a good start. I didn't want to resort to this but I think using Amoonguss over Tsareena would be a decent fit, it gives you a switch into Azumarill & Primarina and you gain a bulky pivot that doesn't 100% rely on Wish support from Sylveon. With the addition of Amoonguss you now have the added benefit of being able to put something on your opponents side to sleep, absorbing opposing Toxic Spikes, a counter to bulky DD M-Altaria, threaten opposing Scizor with HP Fire / Foul Play, and an adequate answer to most Breloom & Serperior.

Before I get on to the next change I'd also like to make a special mention with considering Tentacruel over Tsareena instead, it provides: a hazard controller/tspikes absorber, a tspikes setter, a (shakier) check to Breloom and Azumarill - through Sludge Wave, isn't set up on by M-Altaria (looking at your Tsareena), and loves Wish support from Sylveon. However, Tentacruel isn't as good versus Serperior, or as sturdy as Amoonguss, in this case.

So with the change to Amoonguss you would lose your hazard control. The first thing that came to mind was running Choice Scarf Hydreigon w/ Defog over Chandelure. I think Scarf Hydreigon would work nicely here since it provides a decent option versus non-scarf Dragon's, still doesn't lose to Serperior, a decent pivot (due to typing), is another threat versus opposing volturn teams, and can cover threats based on its coverage. Please note if you decide to run Tentacruel, you wouldn't need to consider running Defog on Hydreigon.

I think these changes cover your threat list nicely, whilst covering some of the other threats that I've pointed out. I'd like to point out that losing Tsareena would make Vincune a tad more annoying, so I'd like you to consider running Roar on Swampert over Counter. This would also mean you have something else to address the Bulky DD M-Altaria match up, and would abuse TSpikes if you choose to run Tentacruel.

Summary of changes:
>
or
>

>

Roar Swampert > Counter Swampert
Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / x SpD / x Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Foul Play
- Spore

note: speed creep for M-Bro is up to you. Double Z is only to avoid the ohko from Azu, whilst providing situational advantage.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flash Cannon / U-turn
- Defog

note: if you decide to run Tentacruel, Defog isn't required.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 12 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

note: Sludge Wave is guaranteed ohko on Breloom, you can run speed to cover base 80s if you think it's necessary.
Thanks for the shout out, good luck!

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
G'day mate, really nice looking team and congrats on making Team Showcase n_n

So we discussed this briefly on discord but I'd like to lay down an official rate to go along with this team, hopefully we can address some of its' weaknesses without changing too much.

Before we get too far into my rate I'd also like to point out some other threats to this team, that others may come across whilst using it on ladder.
- Volturn teams with HP Grass M-Manectric: which can be annoying alongside Scizor + Hydreigon.
- Bulky Dragon Dance M-Altaria: can 2hko Sylveon at +1, isn't threatened by Swampert & can take 2 Balls from Chandelure (heh).
- Choice Specs/AoA Z Thunder Nihilego: annoying as heck to switch into (but can be played around!).
- Z Superpower Breloom + Alola-Muk: Painful trying to switch into Breloom, Muk traps your best switch-in.
- Sludge Bomb/Wave Tentacruel w/ Tspikes: can 2hko Tsareena, walls Sylveon, Lucario & Chandelure and Tspikes aren't fun.
- M-Abomasnow: lead versus Swampert nice switch-ins, keeps Sound Proof versus Sylveon - free set up!

So I've listed what I think are common nuisances to your team, let's get onto my proposed changes!

First up, I think addressing your massive lack of switch-ins to Fairy types with a sturdy Poison type would be a good start. I didn't want to resort to this but I think using Amoonguss over Tsareena would be a decent fit, it gives you a switch into Azumarill & Primarina and you gain a bulky pivot that doesn't 100% rely on Wish support from Sylveon. With the addition of Amoonguss you now have the added benefit of being able to put something on your opponents side to sleep, absorbing opposing Toxic Spikes, a counter to bulky DD M-Altaria, threaten opposing Scizor with HP Fire / Foul Play, and an adequate answer to most Breloom & Serperior.

Before I get on to the next change I'd also like to make a special mention with considering Tentacruel over Tsareena instead, it provides: a hazard controller/tspikes absorber, a tspikes setter, a (shakier) check to Breloom and Azumarill - through Sludge Wave, isn't set up on by M-Altaria (looking at your Tsareena), and loves Wish support from Sylveon. However, Tentacruel isn't as good versus Serperior, or as sturdy as Amoonguss, in this case.

So with the change to Amoonguss you would lose your hazard control. The first thing that came to mind was running Choice Scarf Hydreigon w/ Defog over Chandelure. I think Scarf Hydreigon would work nicely here since it provides a decent option versus non-scarf Dragon's, still doesn't lose to Serperior, a decent pivot (due to typing), is another threat versus opposing volturn teams, and can cover threats based on its coverage. Please note if you decide to run Tentacruel, you wouldn't need to consider running Defog on Hydreigon.

I think these changes cover your threat list nicely, whilst covering some of the other threats that I've pointed out. I'd like to point out that losing Tsareena would make Vincune a tad more annoying, so I'd like you to consider running Roar on Swampert over Counter. This would also mean you have something else to address the Bulky DD M-Altaria match up, and would abuse TSpikes if you choose to run Tentacruel.

Summary of changes:
>
or
>

>

Roar Swampert > Counter Swampert
Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / x SpD / x Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Foul Play
- Spore

note: speed creep for M-Bro is up to you. Double Z is only to avoid the ohko from Azu, whilst providing situational advantage.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flash Cannon / U-turn
- Defog

note: if you decide to run Tentacruel, Defog isn't required.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 12 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

note: Sludge Wave is guaranteed ohko on Breloom, you can run speed to cover base 80s if you think it's necessary.
Thanks for the shout out, good luck!
Ah, ty my friend, I'll definitely make sure to try these changes out later :]

edit: So I played a dozen or so games w/ these changes, as for the Tentacruel one, as I stated in the RMT when I originally had Tentacruel on the team, having my removal unable to come in on all the ground type rockers is extremely annoying for a team w/ a Maero on it. The team's method of breaking shit like Hippo is getting flinches/freezes w/ Ice Fang on Maero, or crits w/ Draco on Hydreigon. Sure, I have Toxic Spikes, but it's not like that's reliable. I could go Aqua Tail > Ice Fang on Maero, but then the Gliscor m/u suffers, which I think is prolly more important.

As for the Scarf Hydreigon/Amoon change, I like this, I think it's dope. However it all depends with what I do w/ the other changes. For example, if I go Amoonguss > Tsareena I feel the Scizor m/u is extremely annoying, SD Scizor in particular (obviously Foul Play and Hp Fire are good options on Amoonguss, but SD Scizor beats Amoon regardless). Amoon is good vs. Scizor, but not good enough, espec on a team where it'd be the sole Scizor check (unless you count Lucario).

Roar on Swampert tho. Yeah I agree, I'm highkey an idiot for not doing this after the first time getting swept by Haxorus LOL.

Thanks for the rate I appreciate it m8, I'll keep playing around with it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)