Gen 1 Slowpoke (NU Mini) [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1] (DONE)

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
:rb/slowpoke:
I’m SLOW!! and a POKE???

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with Thunder Wave to spread paralysis and higher Defense—although its horrid Speed tier makes paralysis especially a necessity and not a luxury. Its Speed tier also makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber, since it does not mind a Speed drop. It can find setup opportunities on Pokemon it can threaten out with paralysis, or resist the attacks of, which includes Arcanine and Poliwhirl. After an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as, after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and its special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill and fails as a lead, unable to beat sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem.

[SET]
name: Amnesia
move 1: Amnesia
move 2: Surf
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken while setting up, especially thanks to its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it.

Slowpoke has a very solid movepool, leaving a good amount of options to choose from. Psychic can be used over Surf, as, even though it is weaker against neutral targets, it sports a 30% special drop rate. It also hits Venomoth super effectively, as well as gaining a neutral hit on Water-types such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Blizzard allows Slowpoke to hit Exeggcute super effectively, as well as still hitting Moltres and Charizard. It also allows Slowpoke to fish for a freeze, which can be useful in a pinch. Ice Beam, although weaker than Blizzard, is more reliable. Fire Blast can deal good damage to Grass- and Bug-types, having a 28.2% chance of OHKOing the likes of Pinsir after an Amnesia. Toxic over Thunder Wave or Rest helps Slowpoke against partial trapping users such as Dragonair and Pinsir. Earthquake over either of those moves allows Slowpoke to deal good damage to Electrode. However, it serves little purpose outside this.

Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into Electric-type moves from threats such as Electrode while taking out Pokemon that can force out Slowpoke like Clefable. Golem can switch into moves such as Mr. Mime's Thunderbolt and, after minor damage, KO with Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep. Mr. Mime deserves a special mention, as it is all-around useful and can break through Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Poliwhirl can be used alongside Slowpoke, as Slowpoke spreading paralysis opens Poliwhirl up to sweep late-game. Partial trappers such as Pinsir and Moltres provide a great form of chip damage to facilitate a late-game sweep with Slowpoke. Sleep support from Venomoth or Clefable gives Slowpoke reliable turns to set up against its foes.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[BreakthrU89, 487308]]
- Quality checked by: [[pac, 520967], [SBPC, 468904]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I am here to give feedback on le poke.

As a general note, try to use less simple sentences. Combine them into compound and complex sentences to make it flow better, the analysis comes off as choppy due to this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once at +2 Special, it can do solid damage against notable Pokemon such as Nidoking, Golem, and Raticate.
When citing calcs like these, you want to make them impressive to draw the reader in. Any Special attack is going to skadiddle bop skadeedee wop these three. I would pick Pokemon that normally take Special hits well, like Moltres and Clefable. Also, actually cite the damage calcs. Here's a start (Surf is done over Psychic on purpose, ill get to that in my comments on the set):

+2 Slowpoke Surf vs. Moltres: 211-248 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 Slowpoke Surf vs. Clefable: 137-162 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also able to soak up most Special hits well after setting up an Amnesia, which can be helpful when fighting Pokemon that carry Electric-type coverage.
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 149-176 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 582-684 (151.9 - 178.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mr. Mime Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 115-136 (30 - 35.5%) -- 28.1% chance to 3HKO
Mr. Mime Thunderbolt vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 449-528 (117.2 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 97-114 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Weepinbell Razor Leaf vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 354-416 (92.4 - 108.6%) -- 53.8% chance to OHKO

Based on those calcs, i'd be much less generous here. It is still getting yeeted by Thunderbolts (and Razor Leaf). I'd rephrase this to something like "After setting up an Amnesia, is able to soak up most Special hits that are not super-effective."

Slowpoke’s relatively low Special means that it is walled by Pokemon such as Mr. Mime, Clefable, and Wigglytuff.
I'd remove this. After boosting this is not an issue, and Mr. Mime is one reason why Surf is the better choice for Slowpoke in NU.

Slowpoke’s bulk is also quite mediocre without any Amnesia boosts, leaving it to be forced into Rest by threats such as Nidoking and Mr. Mime. Even at maximum Special, Slowpoke can be ruined by a critical hit Electric-move from the aforementioned Pokemon.
Slowpoke is not resting up versus these Pokemon. I'd combine this as well, make it more concise and to the point. Perhaps something like "Slowpoke’s bulk is also quite mediocre without any Amnesia boosts, and even at +6 Special, Slowpoke can be ruined by a critical hit Electric-move from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime" (Using Electrode here since it's more likely to land said spicy crit).

Also, make a mention on Slowpoke's abysmal speed, its not mentioned anywhere and its a big part of Slowpoke.

Slowpoke also struggles to find a spot on teams over the ubiquitous Poliwhirl, who is able to perform the niche of an Amnesia sweeper better.
Poliwhirl is not ubiquitous by any means, so replace it with like "more common". The rest is accurate, although id add a note on how it has further utility due to speed and Hypnosis.

Overall, Slowpoke is quite dangerous, if somewhat flawed within the tier of RBY NU.
"Overall, Slowpoke has the potential to be quite dangerous, but its numerous flaws make it difficult to achieve its goals." or something, be a bit more harsh here. It can sweep yeah, but it has sooo many issues doing so.

move 2: Psychic
Use Surf. Every Pokemon that would be hurt by Psychic is also hit by Surf, and it has the advantage of doing more versus Pokemon like Mr. Mime. The Pokemon that resist Surf like Blastoise cant do as much versus Slowpoke as the Psychic resists can. Surf also does a tad bit more versus Neutral targets.

Setting up Amnesia is very important, as it enables Slowpoke to do damage to key threats such as Nidoking,
Again, use more impressive calcs, Nidoking takes good dmg from Slowpoke unboosted.
Slowpoke Surf vs. Nidoking: 149-176 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
And make sure to calc actual numbers and #KOs when doing these, "do damage" or "do large damage" means nothing.

Rest allows Slowpoke to shake off hits done by Pokemon such as Nidoking and Electrode. It also allows it to ignore status.
"Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, which is accentuated by its increased bulk due to Amnesia. In addition to this, it can remove status such as Toxic and Paralysis."

Thunder Wave is important for this set, as it allows Slowpoke to outspeed Pokemon that can pose to threat to it, most importantly Mr. Mime, but also Pokemon such as Clefable
The mentions arent needed here, it just clunks it up. "Thunder Wave is important for this set, as it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can pose to threat to it."

Slowpoke is extremely vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune team mate helps greatly.
"teammate", not "team mate".

Nidoking and Golem are prime examples, as Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves while being able to take out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke
You mention Nidoking and Golem then proceed to drop Golem to move it to a new sentence, which comes off very choppy. I would combine this sentence with the next one in some way.

That should be it for now. Implement these changes, and i'll give it a further look. I did this on phone, so its easy for me to make a mistake. Feel free to DM me on Discord if you have any questions.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello! I am here to give feedback on le poke.

As a general note, try to use less simple sentences. Combine them into compound and complex sentences to make it flow better, the analysis comes off as choppy due to this.

When citing calcs like these, you want to make them impressive to draw the reader in. Any Special attack is going to skadiddle bop skadeedee wop these three. I would pick Pokemon that normally take Special hits well, like Moltres and Clefable. Also, actually cite the damage calcs. Here's a start (Surf is done over Psychic on purpose, ill get to that in my comments on the set):

+2 Slowpoke Surf vs. Moltres: 211-248 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 Slowpoke Surf vs. Clefable: 137-162 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Electrode Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 149-176 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electrode Thunderbolt vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 582-684 (151.9 - 178.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mr. Mime Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 115-136 (30 - 35.5%) -- 28.1% chance to 3HKO
Mr. Mime Thunderbolt vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 449-528 (117.2 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. +2 Slowpoke: 97-114 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Weepinbell Razor Leaf vs. Slowpoke on a critical hit: 354-416 (92.4 - 108.6%) -- 53.8% chance to OHKO

Based on those calcs, i'd be much less generous here. It is still getting yeeted by Thunderbolts (and Razor Leaf). I'd rephrase this to something like "After setting up an Amnesia, is able to soak up most Special hits that are not super-effective."

I'd remove this. After boosting this is not an issue, and Mr. Mime is one reason why Surf is the better choice for Slowpoke in NU.

Slowpoke is not resting up versus these Pokemon. I'd combine this as well, make it more concise and to the point. Perhaps something like "Slowpoke’s bulk is also quite mediocre without any Amnesia boosts, and even at +6 Special, Slowpoke can be ruined by a critical hit Electric-move from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime" (Using Electrode here since it's more likely to land said spicy crit).

Also, make a mention on Slowpoke's abysmal speed, its not mentioned anywhere and its a big part of Slowpoke.

Poliwhirl is not ubiquitous by any means, so replace it with like "more common". The rest is accurate, although id add a note on how it has further utility due to speed and Hypnosis.

"Overall, Slowpoke has the potential to be quite dangerous, but its numerous flaws make it difficult to achieve its goals." or something, be a bit more harsh here. It can sweep yeah, but it has sooo many issues doing so.

Use Surf. Every Pokemon that would be hurt by Psychic is also hit by Surf, and it has the advantage of doing more versus Pokemon like Mr. Mime. The Pokemon that resist Surf like Blastoise cant do as much versus Slowpoke as the Psychic resists can. Surf also does a tad bit more versus Neutral targets.

Again, use more impressive calcs, Nidoking takes good dmg from Slowpoke unboosted.
Slowpoke Surf vs. Nidoking: 149-176 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
And make sure to calc actual numbers and #KOs when doing these, "do damage" or "do large damage" means nothing.

"Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, which is accentuated by its increased bulk due to Amnesia. In addition to this, it can remove status such as Toxic and Paralysis."

The mentions arent needed here, it just clunks it up. "Thunder Wave is important for this set, as it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can pose to threat to it."

"teammate", not "team mate".

You mention Nidoking and Golem then proceed to drop Golem to move it to a new sentence, which comes off very choppy. I would combine this sentence with the next one in some way.

That should be it for now. Implement these changes, and i'll give it a further look. I did this on phone, so its easy for me to make a mistake. Feel free to DM me on Discord if you have any questions.
Implemented :bloblul:

Reactions: pac

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Slowpoke finds a niche within the tier as a solid Amnesia user. It is able to differentiate itself from Poliwhirl with access to a STAB Psychic and access to Thunder Wave to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Once at +2 Special, it can do solid damage against notable Pokemon such as Moltres and Clefable. It is also able to soak up most non-super effective Special hits well after setting up an Amnesia.
It may be worth noting that Slowpoke is the slowest Pokemon in RBY as a whole, not just "abysmal" or anything else. This also comes with a big upside in that Slowpoke doesn't mind taking paralysis at all, it's an incredible absorber. Slowpoke is also among the best switch-ins Poliwhirl in the tier, and I am shocked to see this not get noted. When Sleep Clause is active or Poliwhirl isn't using Hypnosis, Slowpoke kind of just wins.

Also, please add the credits section.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
It may be worth noting that Slowpoke is the slowest Pokemon in RBY as a whole, not just "abysmal" or anything else. This also comes with a big upside in that Slowpoke doesn't mind taking paralysis at all, it's an incredible absorber. Slowpoke is also among the best switch-ins Poliwhirl in the tier, and I am shocked to see this not get noted. When Sleep Clause is active or Poliwhirl isn't using Hypnosis, Slowpoke kind of just wins.

Also, please add the credits section.
Implemented :)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
amQCing this since there's a few more things I've spotted. Once these are done I'm pretty sure pacattacc can QC.
Add
Remove
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke finds a niche within the tier as a solid Amnesia user that is able to differentiate itself from Poliwhirl with access to a STAB Psychic and access to Thunder Wave to make up for its horrid Speed tier. (run-on sentence, split it off somewhere) Its Speed tier makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. Once at +2 Special, it can deal solid damage against notable Pokemon such as Moltres and Clefable, and can soak up most non-super effective Special hits well after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also one of the greatest switch-ins to Poliwhirl, since if Sleep Clause is activated, Poliwrath can do very little to Slowpoke after an Amnesia. (You could just say it turns opposing Water-types into setup fodder, since that's essentially what it does)

However, Slowpoke comes with a myriad of issues. Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre without any Amnesia boosts, and even at +6 Special, Slowpoke can be ruined by a critical hit Electric-type move from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier, making it very easy to revenge kill for many teams, as well as being more susceptible to trapping moves from the likes of Dragonair, Moltres, and Charizard. (Is it worth mentioning Moltres and Charizard when it takes Fire Spins so well after a boost? It can prolly just sit there and para them) Slowpoke also struggles to find a spot on teams over the more common Poliwhirl, which is able to perform the niche of an Amnesia sweeper better, with a better Speed tier and access to Hypnosis. Overall, Slowpoke has the potential to be quite dangerous, but its numerous flaws make it difficult to achieve its goals.

Mention that its physical bulk is a bit squishy, so if forced to Rest things can get hairy; 90/65 is ok at best. I'm not sure if the Poliwhirl comparison is worth putting in the second paragraph, as the first already mentions it in passing.

[SET]
name: Tobypoke (Amnesia) (Technically correct since it's just the Wintermute set but again. However, I'd say just do Amnesia, "TobyPoke" isn't a term in common use.)
move 3: Rest
move 4: Thunder Wave swap twave and rest for the satisfying move order pls :3

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Amnesia is the main calling point of Slowpoke, and should always be ran on it. Setting up Amnesia is very important, as it enables Slowpoke to do damage to key threats such as Clefable, as well as being able to soak up damage done by special attackers. Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit most of the tier for neutral damage. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, which is accentuated by its increased bulk due to Amnesia. (Remember that this is a 50/50 if they have a heavy hitter in the back; if something like Pinsir comes in on Rest you're in big trouble) In addition to this, it can remove status such as Toxic and Paralysis. (not fully for either - tox counter stays and para spd drop too - nor is it really that important) Thunder Wave is important for this set, as it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can pose to threat to it. Slowpoke is extremely vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples, as Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves while being able to take out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke, and Golem can switch into Pokemon such as Mr. Mime and, after minor damage, use Explosion on them, and let Slowpoke in for a sweep.

OO Paragraph can include Psychic or Blizzard I guess. Maybe Toxic. Not sure if it's even necessary though, feel free to ignore.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ]]

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
amQCing this since there's a few more things I've spotted. Once these are done I'm pretty sure pacattacc can QC.
Add
Remove
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke finds a niche within the tier as a solid Amnesia user that is able to differentiate itself from Poliwhirl with access to a STAB Psychic and access to Thunder Wave to make up for its horrid Speed tier. (run-on sentence, split it off somewhere) Its Speed tier makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. Once at +2 Special, it can deal solid damage against notable Pokemon such as Moltres and Clefable, and can soak up most non-super effective Special hits well after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also one of the greatest switch-ins to Poliwhirl, since if Sleep Clause is activated, Poliwrath can do very little to Slowpoke after an Amnesia. (You could just say it turns opposing Water-types into setup fodder, since that's essentially what it does)

However, Slowpoke comes with a myriad of issues. Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre without any Amnesia boosts, and even at +6 Special, Slowpoke can be ruined by a critical hit Electric-type move from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier, making it very easy to revenge kill for many teams, as well as being more susceptible to trapping moves from the likes of Dragonair, Moltres, and Charizard. (Is it worth mentioning Moltres and Charizard when it takes Fire Spins so well after a boost? It can prolly just sit there and para them) Slowpoke also struggles to find a spot on teams over the more common Poliwhirl, which is able to perform the niche of an Amnesia sweeper better, with a better Speed tier and access to Hypnosis. Overall, Slowpoke has the potential to be quite dangerous, but its numerous flaws make it difficult to achieve its goals.

Mention that its physical bulk is a bit squishy, so if forced to Rest things can get hairy; 90/65 is ok at best. I'm not sure if the Poliwhirl comparison is worth putting in the second paragraph, as the first already mentions it in passing.

[SET]
name: Tobypoke (Amnesia) (Technically correct since it's just the Wintermute set but again. However, I'd say just do Amnesia, "TobyPoke" isn't a term in common use.)
move 3: Rest
move 4: Thunder Wave swap twave and rest for the satisfying move order pls :3

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Amnesia is the main calling point of Slowpoke, and should always be ran on it. Setting up Amnesia is very important, as it enables Slowpoke to do damage to key threats such as Clefable, as well as being able to soak up damage done by special attackers. Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit most of the tier for neutral damage. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, which is accentuated by its increased bulk due to Amnesia. (Remember that this is a 50/50 if they have a heavy hitter in the back; if something like Pinsir comes in on Rest you're in big trouble) In addition to this, it can remove status such as Toxic and Paralysis. (not fully for either - tox counter stays and para spd drop too - nor is it really that important) Thunder Wave is important for this set, as it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can pose to threat to it. Slowpoke is extremely vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples, as Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves while being able to take out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke, and Golem can switch into Pokemon such as Mr. Mime and, after minor damage, use Explosion on them, and let Slowpoke in for a sweep.

OO Paragraph can include Psychic or Blizzard I guess. Maybe Toxic. Not sure if it's even necessary though, feel free to ignore.

[CREDITS]
Done

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre with its physical bulk being decent at best, and it’s special bulk being mediocre without any boosts.
The repeating of mediocre looks and sounds off-putting to read, perhaps replace one of them with like "poor" maybe? Also to help GP out, change the "it's special bulk" to "its special bulk".

Other than that, looks fine enough I think. I'll hand this a QC 1/2.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke finds a niche within the tier as a solid Amnesia user. It (Fluff; don't use blanket generalization sentences) can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and better Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Its Speed tier makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. Once at +2 Special, it can deal good damage against notable Pokemon such as Moltres and Clefable Fire-types like Moltres and Charizard and can soak up most non-super effective Special hits well after setting up an Amnesia wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon (more specific). Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke comes with a myriad of issues. (Don't use blanket generalization sentences) Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Electric-move Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; making it is very easy to revenge kill, for many teams fails as a lead versus Sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem. It is more susceptible to trapping moves from the likes of Dragonair. Overall, Slowpoke has the potential to be quite dangerous, but its numerous flaws make it difficult to achieve its goals. (Overview) (End with a sentence as why these Speed issues makes it a worse Poliwhirl overall and most serious teams wouldn't use Slowpoke. I also condensed the Speed issues to one list to summarize it better than breaking it up, as it really all comes down to Slowpoke being slow)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Amnesia is the calling point of Slowpoke. Setting up Amnesia is very important for Slowpoke, as it enables Slowpoke to deal damage to threats such as Clefable. It also lets Slowpoke soak up the damage done by special attackers. (Fluff; the set name and overview already calls it an Amnesia sweeper, so there's no reason to have three sentences for it) Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit most of the tier for neutral damage (This isn't true as Psychic would technically hit the tier for more neutral damage better. Instead, Surf is chosen because it hits the hardest versus threats like Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking, and the resisted damage against opposing Water-types is okay as Slowpoke can usually outstall Blastoise and Dewgong). Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. However, this leaves Slowpoke more vulnerable to physical attackers such as Pinsir. (Fluff / covered in overview) Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it to it. Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves while taking out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke. Golem can switch into Pokemon such as Mr. Mime and, after minor damage, use Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep.
(This last section includes teammate tips and not set comments. As far as I know, we're not doing teammate tips in minis. I'll get back to you here after I get confirmation; see below)

[CREDITS]

I would like to give this one more look before going to GP. Just to note: Slowpoke is UR in NU and hasn't been relevant since the double Poli meta, so this mini should present Slowpoke as a bad Pokemon to use with little to no niche; otherwise, it would be on the VR if it actually did something viable. Starting off the intro with "Slowpoke is a solid Amnesia user" is the misleading aspect I'm getting at. There's also a good amount of fluff to trim and there should be more specific examples and matchups written about to best explain Slowpoke's intended purpose.
Let me know if you have any questions and when you implement the above!

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Add Remove Comment gp related change
too annoying to copy paste on mobile so it'll all be in the quote

i’m SLOW!! and a POKE???

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and higher Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. line about slowpoke being incredibly reliant on spreading para. Its Speed tier makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. add a line explaining good ways to get to +2. Once at +2 Special after an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill, and fails as a lead versus Sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir and targeted by Explosion users like Golem. Because of these Speed its more than speed issues, Slowpoke finds itself generally outclassed by other Water-types such as Poliwhirl, and is not recommended for use on a serious RBY team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it to it.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[pacattacc, 520967], [SBPC, ]]
gonna want to see this again

SBPC

stranded on an island
sorry this took me an unholy amount of time to get back to

I’m SLOW!! and a POKE???

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and higher Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Slowpoke is incredibly reliant on spreading paralysis in order to operate. Its Speed tier also makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. It is able to find set-up opportunities on Pokemon it can threaten out with paralysis, or resist their attacks, which includes Arcanine and Poliwhirl. After an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill and fails as a lead versus Sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem. Because of these issues, Slowpoke finds itself generally outclassed by other Water-types such as Poliwhirl, and is not recommended for use on a serious RBY team. (dont frame my boy, its worth serious use)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it. throw in some OO lines, Psychic and Ice Beam come to mind Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves while taking out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke. Golem can switch into Pokemon such as Mr. Mime and, after minor damage, use Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep.

add an entire paragraph about team options here, the missing chunk of info here is definitely needed to flesh out the analysis, some examples are mentioning how it fits into teams, things that slowpoke could support by checking, etc

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[pacattacc, 520967], [, ]]
addition of a new paragraph means im going to want to look at this one last time, otherwise great job

SBPC

stranded on an island
I’m SLOW!! and a POKE???

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and higher Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Slowpoke is incredibly reliant on spreading paralysis in order to operate. Its Speed tier also makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber since it does not mind a Speed drop. It is able to find set-up opportunities on Pokemon it can threaten out with paralysis, or resist their attacks, which includes Arcanine and Poliwhirl. After an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill and fails as a lead versus Sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it. Alternatively, Psychic can be used over Surf, as even though it is weaker against neutral targets, it sports a 30% special drop rate. It also hits Venomoth super effectively, as well as gaining a neutral hit on Water-types such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Ice Beam allows Slowpoke to hit Exeggcute super effectively, as well as still hitting Moltres and Charizard. It also allows Slowpoke to fish for a freeze, which can be useful in a pinch. However, Ice Beam is also weaker than Surf against neutral targets due to the lack of STAB.

Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves from threats such as Electrode while taking out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke like Clefable. Golem can switch into Pokemon answers such as Mr. Mime'sThunderbolt and(RC) after minor damage, use Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep. Mr. Mime deserves a special mention as it can provide a solid teammate capable of breaking opposing Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Poliwhirl can be used alongside Slowpoke, as Slowpoke’s ability to spread paralysis opens Poliwhirl to perform a sweep late game. Partial trappers such as Pinsir and Moltres provide a great form of chip damage to facilitate a late game sweep with Slowpoke. Sleep support from Venomoth or Clefable is useful for giving Slowpoke reliable turns to set up against it's opponents.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[pacattacc, 520967], [, ]]
qc 2/2, just copyedit the changes in

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Apologies for the inconvenience. Talked to PvK over Discord, before GP gets to this we wanna add a quick little OO paragraph as the 2nd paragraph in Set Comments. Move the mentions of Psychic and Ice Beam to there, and preferably add:
  • Fire Blast (+2 Fire Blast has a chance to OHKO Pinsir and still owns Grass-types while also spreading Burn)
  • Blizzard (stronger Ice Beam, look at any notable calcs)
  • Earthquake (funny to hit Electrode for 43 - 50.7%)
  • Toxic (as always, hits Wrappers)
Those are all the ones i'd say to add. If you wish, you can add Bubble Beam and Body Slam, but neither are as necessary to include imo.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Apologies for the inconvenience. Talked to PvK over Discord, before GP gets to this we wanna add a quick little OO paragraph as the 2nd paragraph in Set Comments. Move the mentions of Psychic and Ice Beam to there, and preferably add:
  • Fire Blast (+2 Fire Blast has a chance to OHKO Pinsir and still owns Grass-types while also spreading Burn)
  • Blizzard (stronger Ice Beam, look at any notable calcs)
  • Earthquake (funny to hit Electrode for 43 - 50.7%)
  • Toxic (as always, hits Wrappers)
Those are all the ones i'd say to add. If you wish, you can add Bubble Beam and Body Slam, but neither are as necessary to include imo.
Implemeted!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and higher Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Slowpoke is incredibly reliant on spreading paralysis in order to operate. Thunder Wave to spread paralysis and higher Defense—although its horrid Speed tier makes paralysis especially a necessity and not a luxury. (tone consistency with before/after. I imagine this checks out? feel free to tinker.) Its Speed tier also makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber, (AC) since it does not mind a Speed drop. It is able to can find set-up setup opportunities on Pokemon it can threaten out with paralysis (RC) or resist their attacks, the attacks of, which includes Arcanine and Poliwhirl. After an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as, (AC) after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and its special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill, (AC) and fails as a lead versus unable to beat sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl as a lead, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by while setting up, especially thanks to its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it.

Slowpoke has a very solid movepool, leaving a good amount of options to choose from. Psychic can be used over Surf, as, (AC) even though it is weaker against neutral targets, it sports a 30% Special drop rate. It also hits Venomoth super effectively, as well as gaining a neutral hit on Water-types such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Blizzard allows Slowpoke to hit Exeggcute super effectively, as well as still hitting Moltres and Charizard. It also allows Slowpoke to fish for a freeze, which can be useful in a pinch. Ice Beam, although weaker than Blizzard, is more reliable due to its higher accuracy. Fire Blast can deal good damage to Grass- and Bug-types, having a 28.2% chance of OHKO-ing OHKOing the likes of Pinsir after an Amnesia. Toxic over Thunder Wave or Rest (confirmed w may on disc) helps Slowpoke against partial trapping users such as Dragonair and Pinsir. Earthquake over either of those moves allows Slowpoke to deal good damage to Electrode. However, it serves little purpose outside this.

Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves from threats such as Electrode while taking out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke like Clefable. Golem can switch into answers moves such as Mr. Mime's Thunderbolt and, (AC) after minor damage, use KO with (I assume?) Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep. Mr. Mime deserves a special mention, (AC) as it can provide a solid teammate capable of breaking is all-around useful and can break through (I imagine?) opposing Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Poliwhirl can be used alongside Slowpoke, as Slowpoke’s ability to spread Slowpoke spreading paralysis opens Poliwhirl to perform a sweep late game. up to sweep late-game. Partial trappers such as Pinsir and Moltres provide a great form of chip damage to facilitate a late-game sweep with Slowpoke. Sleep support from Venomoth or Clefable is useful for giving gives Slowpoke reliable turns to set up against its opponents. foes.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[pacattacc, 520967], [SBPC, 468904]]
hikari.gif
1/1

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Slowpoke can differentiate itself from Poliwhirl as an Amnesia sweeper with access to Thunder Wave and higher Defense to make up for its horrid Speed tier. Slowpoke is incredibly reliant on spreading paralysis in order to operate. Thunder Wave to spread paralysis and higher Defense—although its horrid Speed tier makes paralysis especially a necessity and not a luxury. (tone consistency with before/after. I imagine this checks out? feel free to tinker.) Its Speed tier also makes it a solid Thunder Wave absorber, (AC) since it does not mind a Speed drop. It is able to can find set-up setup opportunities on Pokemon it can threaten out with paralysis (RC) or resist their attacks, the attacks of, which includes Arcanine and Poliwhirl. After an Amnesia, it can deal good damage against Fire-types such as Moltres and Charizard and wall special attackers like Mr. Mime and Porygon after setting up an Amnesia. Slowpoke is also a check to opposing Water-types, most importantly Poliwhirl, as, (AC) after Sleep Clause has activated, there is little it can do to Slowpoke.

However, Slowpoke’s bulk is quite mediocre, with its physical bulk being average and its special bulk being poor without any boosts. Even at +6 Special, Slowpoke gets ruined by a critical hit Thunderbolt from the likes of Electrode and Mr. Mime. Because of this, it can be taken advantage of while using Rest, which also makes it lose to physical attackers and setup sweepers like Nidoking, Clefable, Charizard, and Kabutops. Slowpoke also faces issues with its abysmal Speed tier; it is very easy to revenge kill, (AC) and fails as a lead versus unable to beat sleep inducers like Venomoth and Poliwhirl as a lead, vulnerable to partial trapping users like Dragonair and Pinsir, and targeted by Explosion users like Golem.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Surf is Slowpoke’s best STAB option, offering great offensive coverage that lets it hit the likes of Charizard, Mr. Mime, and Nidoking effectively. Rest allows Slowpoke to continue its sweep by recovering hits taken in the process, accentuated by while setting up, especially thanks to its increased special bulk due to Amnesia. Thunder Wave is valuable since it allows Slowpoke to outspeed and cripple Pokemon that can threaten it.

Slowpoke has a very solid movepool, leaving a good amount of options to choose from. Psychic can be used over Surf, as, (AC) even though it is weaker against neutral targets, it sports a 30% Special drop rate. It also hits Venomoth super effectively, as well as gaining a neutral hit on Water-types such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Blizzard allows Slowpoke to hit Exeggcute super effectively, as well as still hitting Moltres and Charizard. It also allows Slowpoke to fish for a freeze, which can be useful in a pinch. Ice Beam, although weaker than Blizzard, is more reliable due to its higher accuracy. Fire Blast can deal good damage to Grass- and Bug-types, having a 28.2% chance of OHKO-ing OHKOing the likes of Pinsir after an Amnesia. Toxic over Thunder Wave or Rest (confirmed w may on disc) helps Slowpoke against partial trapping users such as Dragonair and Pinsir. Earthquake over either of those moves allows Slowpoke to deal good damage to Electrode. However, it serves little purpose outside this.

Slowpoke is vulnerable to most Electric-type coverage within the tier, so having an Electric-immune teammate helps greatly. Nidoking and Golem are prime examples of this. Nidoking can switch into opposing Electric-type moves from threats such as Electrode while taking out Pokemon that can force out Pokemon that can threaten Slowpoke like Clefable. Golem can switch into answers moves such as Mr. Mime's Thunderbolt and, (AC) after minor damage, use KO with (I assume?) Explosion and let Slowpoke in for a sweep. Mr. Mime deserves a special mention, (AC) as it can provide a solid teammate capable of breaking is all-around useful and can break through (I imagine?) opposing Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Kabutops. Poliwhirl can be used alongside Slowpoke, as Slowpoke’s ability to spread Slowpoke spreading paralysis opens Poliwhirl to perform a sweep late game. up to sweep late-game. Partial trappers such as Pinsir and Moltres provide a great form of chip damage to facilitate a late-game sweep with Slowpoke. Sleep support from Venomoth or Clefable is useful for giving gives Slowpoke reliable turns to set up against its opponents. foes.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[pacattacc, 520967], [SBPC, 468904]]
View attachment 3740071/1
Implemented, thanks! This is now ready for upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)