Gen 7 SM OU Viability Rankings

curiosity

ohhh noooo
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
finchou_vr.png

Art by HotFuzzBall | OP stolen from PK Gaming and Finchinator

Welcome to the official SM OU Viability Rankings thread. In this thread, we as a community will be ranking every single usable Pokemon into "tiers." You're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in SM OU and what tier they should fall under. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes.

The general idea of the topic is to rank each OU Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a tier list for the entire metagame, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between offense, defense, and supportive presences in the metagame within this thread. For example, Ferrothorn can be ranked in the A+ tier as a supportive presence, Kartana can be ranked in the A+ as an offensive presence, and Toxapex can be ranked in the A+ tier as a defensive presence. While these three examples can also be found in the initial rankings, the viability of Pokemon and their roles within the metagame can and will change over time, so we will be sure to keep an open mind to this as well and adjust the thread accordingly during each update.

Keep in mind that rankings are subjective and that your opinion is not a fact, but rather, you should use facts to support your opinions.

S RANK

S rank

:Toxapex: Toxapex
:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian
:Magearna: Magearna
:Heatran: Heatran

A RANK

A+ rank

:Kartana: Kartana
:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-Therian
:Gliscor: Gliscor
:Latias-Mega: Mega Latias
:Alakazam-Mega: Mega Alakazam
:Greninja-Ash: Ash Greninja
:Mawile-Mega: Mega Mawile
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn

A rank

:Scizor-Mega: Mega Scizor
:Tapu Fini: Tapu Fini
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:Clefable: Clefable
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Lopunny-Mega: Mega Lopunny
:Serperior: Serperior
:Celesteela: Celesteela
:Greninja: Greninja
:Medicham-Mega: Mega Medicham
:Magnezone: Magnezone
:Latios-Mega: Mega Latios
:Tapu-Koko: Tapu Koko
:Tyranitar-Mega: Mega Tyranitar
:Excadrill: Excadrill

A- rank

:Victini: Victini
:Kyurem-Black: Kyurem-Black
:Kommo-o: Kommo-o
:Volcarona: Volcarona
:Tapu-Lele:Tapu Lele
:Ditto: Ditto
:Chansey: Chansey
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus
:Tapu-Bulu:Tapu Bulu

B RANK

B+ rank

:Zapdos: Zapdos
:Pelipper: Pelipper
:Swampert-Mega: Mega Swampert
:Manaphy: Manaphy
:Tangrowth: Tangrowth
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon
:Jirachi: Jirachi
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar
:Weavile: Weavile

B rank

:Slowbro: Slowbro
:Amoonguss: Amoonguss
:Diancie-Mega: Mega Diancie
:Skarmory: Skarmory
:Hawlucha: Hawlucha
:Sableye-Mega: Mega Sableye
:Kyurem: Kyurem
:Charizard-Mega-X: Mega Charizard X
:Hippowdon: Hippowdon

B- rank

:Charizard-Mega-Y: Mega Charizard Y
:Gallade-Mega: Mega Gallade
:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurus-Therian
:Hoopa-Unbound: Hoopa-Unbound
:Heracross-Mega: Mega Heracross
:Gyarados: Gyarados
:Aggron-Mega: Mega Aggron
:Mamoswine: Mamoswine
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon
:Venusaur-Mega: Mega Venusaur

C RANK

C+ Rank

:Bisharp: Bisharp
:Gyarados-Mega: Mega Gyarados
:Mew: Mew
:Blacephalon: Blacephalon
:Kingdra: Kingdra

C rank

:Ribombee: Ribombee
:Gengar: Gengar
:Araquanid: Araquanid
:Nidoking: Nidoking
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Terrakion: Terrakion
:Garchomp-Mega: Mega Garchomp
:Suicune: Suicune
:Seismitoad: Seismitoad
:Thundurus: Thundurus

C- rank

:Slowbro-Mega: Mega Slowbro
:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt
:Krookodile: Krookodile
:Pinsir-Mega: Mega Pinsir
:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Ninetales-Alola: Alolan Ninetales
:Keldeo-Resolute: Keldeo

There's a few things I'd like you to keep in mind before posting:

• Take a moment to think before you actually post; if it's a relatively simple question such as "why isn't x ranked" then this isn't the place for it.
  • Try to keep as objective as possible: Just because A is your favourite mon, it doesn't automatically make it a good mon

Last edited:
Kyurem Black: A- to A:

Kyurem black has already risen in the past from being a B+ to an A- Pokemon, but I really think the direction of this meta and it's maturation over the last year or so really indicates its incredible presence on teams. It's Icium Z set is potent combines with a way to deal with Toxapex, especially when using a +Attack nature (which I have been greatly preferring), it is able to almost always two hit ko Fully Defensive Toxapex even with black sludge recovery (94.9% of the time). It is also incredibly good at wearing down ash Greninja's checks, such as dealing with a Chansey that has had any chip, or typically a round of stealth rock damage, and Magearna with an Icium Z or a fusion bolt, being able to wear down cores just enough for potent sweepers such as Greninja and other late game sweepers to go on a rampage. It also works very well on all terrains, as it doesn't love priority moves, it gets a boost from electric moves from Koko (which is absolutely huge at eliminating the few checks that can resist it), and getting itself a bit of recovery with grassy terrain, which is paramount especially due to the fact that kyurem black can't afford to run leftovers, and often has to drop roost for coverage. It's ability to break holes is huge, and with proper prediction the icium z set can be deadly to nearly every single Pokemon in the tier. It's scarf and life orb sets are also potent in their own way, able to surprise Pokemon such as landorus-t from a safe u-turn, and also drawing in ice resistant Pokemon to hit them with an extremely powerful hidden power fire.

I think it really warrants a rise in this time in the meta, as it's bulk combined with it's sheer power is something extremely dangerous against any team.

Freeze Shock, Ice Beam, Fusion Bolt, Earth Power, Roost, Substitute, Hidden Power Fire

Why were so many pokemon purged from the lower ranks?
Sure some of those mons had theoretical niches but they were almost never used in real matches. Like yeah alolan golem technically can work because it can trap heatran, but that was last seen like in 2017. Was used with eject button pex iirc. Stuff like alolan wak, Uxie, and cresselia were strictly trick room mons, and were essentially next to non existent in tournament. Can't really think of the others, but they were terra bad

I am a bit surprised to see volcanion, terrak, and avalugg off the list though, I think they are wayyyyy better than something like ninetales lmao. Free latias while your at it:bloblul:

Katy

What goes around comes around!
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Sure some of those mons had theoretical niches but they were almost never used in real matches. Like yeah alolan golem technically can work because it can trap heatran, but that was last seen like in 2017. Was used with eject button pex iirc. Stuff like alolan wak, Uxie, and cresselia were strictly trick room mons, and were essentially next to non existent in tournament. Can't really think of the others, but they were terra bad

I am a bit surprised to see volcanion, terrak, and avalugg off the list though, I think they are wayyyyy better than something like ninetales lmao. Free latias while your at it:bloblul:
:volcanion: struggles a bit with the matchups in gen7 ou because mega-lati twins and garchomp as awell as bulky scarf landorus-t are really common, furthermore volcanions typing hinders it to do its job and it is tbh rather slow and therefore very prone to many top-threats in the metagame like gliscor, mega latios, mega latias, garchomp, rotom-wash and tapu fini. while it might look decent on paper in practical use it can't stand a chance to the many bulky waters and many bulky dragons as it has struggle getting past them. other fire-pokémon offer much more with coverage-options to actually do something in battles, like making progress during the battles; victini hits superhard with a stab v-create and volcarona has many coverage moves to break past threats and a boosting move in quiver dance and heatran is very reliable with a stallbreaking-set to trap pex or the protect-set to punish fast offensive threats like mega lopunny and mega medicham when they use hjk, furthermore tect allows it to scout choice-locked pkmn.

:terrakion: has the unfortunate metagame situation that a lot of threats can revengekill or punish it, lando-t is very common, mega lati-twins give it also a struggle and with the thrive of grass-types like serp, bulu and kartana it gets scared out very easily. furthermore faster offensive threats like ash-greninja, choice scarf-lando and bulky waters like fini it cant do much. pretty much all of terrakions sets are rather unreliable as it either wants the power boost from sd or the speed boost from scarf thus it eithr lacks the breaking power or the speed and it wants both of it.

:avalugg: no comment on it, was only used because of a very very few mons as a phys-def tank. not more not less.

:ninetales-alola: still barely holds on with its niche of having access to a good speed-tier and snow warning + aurora veil in 1 slot. furthermore it can punish switch-ins with hypnosis and it has hail in its moveslot alot of times to summon the snow warning again to disrupt annoying opposing weather-situations. furthermore it can counteract to rain-teams with snow warning and a freeze-dry which hits the most common rain abusers like mega pert and kingdra for 4x damage and it also hits the weather-setter pelipper with 4x damage. thus its niche - even tho its very minimal - is still justified in gen7 ou.

why the fliping hell is ash geninja not in s tier
A lot of things being used right now handle it really well. Fini is on a lot of teams right now, pex is as good as ever, and bulu, Chansey, kommo, I’m sure I’m missing others are also good options. I honestly have the belief that it didn’t necessarily get worse, just the fact that it only has 1 set throughout the whole meta meant that people just learned different ways to play around it. Even if your team doesn’t have a wall to it you can still use its lack of bulk and the fact that it is forced to lock into a move to your advantage. Obviously it’s still a top 6 or 7 Pokémon that demands attention in the builder. It can flinch past a few of its checks, specs hydro is strong as shit even before evolving, and spikes are great. I think A+ is perfect for it.

This seems reasonable, although the fact the mega zard y is in the same tier as mega allade troubles me. I think that mega charizard y is a sold B.
also, mega pinsir is a mon iv'e had a fair share of success with, spamming return, eq'ing heatran, and using the appropriate hp for steela (or cc).

Last edited:
yeah, mega gallade isn't as near as mega zard y. zard y creates weather, has good spatk with good stab moves and solar beam plus reasonable speed.
megallade on the other hand, doesn't even have access to zen headbutt lmao, and is outclassed by mega dickcham
Mega gallade does learn zen headbutt though and while it may be true that mega medicham outclasses it, it still has a niche in its slightly higher speed stat, ability to learn SD, and that it can pressure bulky psychic types with Knock Off.

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
Mega Gallade functions as more of a win condition due to its higher speed and access to Swords Dance whereas Mega Medicham is a direct nuke. Mega Medicham is much better due to it not relying on being in multiple terms and being more tolerant of getting forced out by revenge killers due to the impact it can make over 1-2 turns. Mega Gallade would be better if we saw less Tornadus-Therian and Scarf Kartana all over the place perhaps, but now it is pretty limited in what it can do. Their current placements are perfectly reflective of their viability I feel (Mega Medicham in A/A- and Mega Gallade in B-/C+). I do not think either is particularly comparable to Charizard-Y, but unfortunately Sun archetypes never really took off this generation due to strong reliance on both Defog and Pursuit support, causing there to be very few viable teams with it. However, one Sun team with a couple Fire types has been used a few times and it could use a raise to B rank to reflect this perhaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)