SM UU Spiking and Crushing featuring Azelf and Froslass

Hey, I'm SilkScarfGroudon with a very offensive UU team that I'm not really sure of it can be categorized as HO. So let's get right into it

The Team
IMG_20191019_220929.jpg

Art also found in my twitter wich is in my profile.

Movesets, IVs and EVs
images.png

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The Standard Banded Scizor that all UU players know and probably fear since this pest deals around 40% to infernape and can deal massive damage with all of it's attacks and almost nothing that is not a giant tank like Hippowdon and Aggron can switch in on it (and Aggron don't like Scizor's superpowers). Scizor must be respected in UU and isn't S tier for nothing.

Mega_Sharpedo.png

Sharpedo-Mega (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Psychic Fangs

Sharpedo is a great Pokemon in general with a great ability in speed boost, wich patches it's medium speed to gargantuous levels provided that it don't faint in the process, but for this reason protect is on the set to give sharpedo at least one speed boost and even two sometimes. Earthquake is here instead of waterfall or liquidation because it helps to deal with electric types and will destroy Alolan Muk, a Pokemon that gives a lot of trouble to my team. I could do sharpedo faster by giving it jolly, but the power lost is a lot so adamant is the better choice.

images.jpeg-4.jpg

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt

The standard sash lead Froslass is here to get the spikes down in the field and take the attacker down with it using destiny bond. Froslass has a great arsenal but this 4 moves on my opinion are the most viable. A faster Pokemon that you will not get down with destiny bond? Icy wind it! What? A hazard setter? Just taunt it and get your own hazards up! One HP and the opponent is slower? Destiny bond is the choice. Froslass is very versatile and I discovered how to play around some counters like Rotom-Heat and Krookodile.

Starmie.png

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Psychic

A very big and bulky physical wall? Don't fear, starmie is here with a great coverage that can hit everything for at least neutral damage. Starmie has a 100 base special attack, that, let's be real, it's not great, so it has Choice Specs to patch it! With it's new found 448 special attack starmie becomes a beast that can blow most of the walls away with it's moves! It suffers with priority dark moves like sucker punch and dark type scatters like Hydreigon and Krookodile, but if they're not scarf or as caught in the switch is game over for them.

Bisharp.png

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Power-Up Punch
- Swords Dance

Something super fast but fragile appeared? Bisharp is here with sucker punch to punch through it! Coming in the pesky sticky web to get a defiant boost and power up punching slower bisharps with swords dance to boost it's attack even more and iron head to destroy fairies like sylveon, bisharp is a great Pokemon that will do well even against some resists.

2226590_thumb.png

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower

What? A super fast thing or a heavy wall? Pff. Scarf Azelf is here to blow Hippowdon away with grass knot, psychic beedrill to other planet as well as aeridactyl. Steel type? Flamethrower it! Scarf hydreigon? Dazzling Gleam is here to help. Azelf may not look like the guy for the scarfer roll, but it has other functions outside the suicide lead set. Azelf is very good as a scarfer outspeeding other scatters of the tier like Hydreigon and Infernape and hitting then with super effective mover that will blow they away. Azelf also outspeed Beedrill-mega and Aeridactyl-mega, wich gives it an advantage.

Hope you liked the team because I sure did. Sorry for any misspelled words and Rate My Team.​

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hi SilkScarfGroudon, this was an interesting team you have, and welcome to smogon!

The first thing that jumped out at me about this team was the lack of stealth rocks, which is a requirement on basically all teams, and especially spike stacking HO teams.

You also had triple choice items, which is highly questionable due to the momentum loss on any team, but is very inadvisable on HO as the momentum loss can provide set up opportunities to Pokemon such as Scizor that you just don't deal with well when at +2, and can provide ample opportunities for the enemy to attempt to clear hazards, especially with rapid spin which bisharp can't punish as you don't have mimikyu to spinblock.

So the first thing I needed to do was add stealth rocks somewhere to this team. Azelf didn't really feel like it did very much for this team, as it's not running a breaker set with Nasty Plot + Adrenaline Orb, and isn't setting Stealth Rocks either, so I decided to get rid of this for another Stealth Rocker. While you could use Azelf, it is typically outshined by other options such as Krookodile and Cobalion which provide more defensive utility in the slot, such as being an electric immunity and having intimidate, or being a strong offensive scizor check and punishing scarf hydreigons attempting to dark pulse your froslass. I chose Cobalion here because it's much better versus Hydreigon, which in particular is fast enough to Taunt/Defog on Krookodile, and as a Scarfer can be an annoying lead vs froslass.

Major Change

:azelf: -> :cobalion:

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Fairly standard Stealth Rock Cobalion set for Spikestacking teams. Taunt allows you to prevent Defoggers such as Rotom-Heat and Hydreigon, which is very important for a team like this. Shuca berry allows you to quite happily survive an earthquake from Pokemon such as Krookodile and Aerodactyl, and hit them in return with a Close Combat or Iron Head. Cobalion is a very strong offensive scizor check which is useful for you due to the danger a +2 scizor can put your team in, dealing with most non Superpower scizor variants fairly well.

Next I felt that Starmie was also kind of out of place here. If you were to use it, I would 100% have recommend analytic over natural cure due to the power boost, but in general Latias is a much better fit here, as it provides you with a similar high speed tier while giving a ground immunity, much better bulk to pair with its natural resistances that help vs Pokemon such as Infernape, and a setup sweeper that can help break down the enemy team for sharpedo to clean later.

Major Change:

:starmie: -> :latias:

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias serves as one of your main breakers for this team, becoming much harder to swap into when hazards are up. Calm mind + STABs maximise your damage output, while hidden power fire allows you to OHKO all scizor variants after a calm mind, stopping them forcing you out. Z-Thunder(bolt) is another option over Hidden power fire if you wish that allows you to hit Empoleon (preventing it from using you as a defogging opportunity), while still hitting other steels high, but makes you struggle to break through bulkier teams more, due to the lack of recovery on the set and the power drop from no longer having z-draco.

One final change I wanted to make was to replace Bisharp with Mimikyu. While Bisharp's access to Defiant is useful, rapid spinners tend to be more problematic for these sorts of teams with the access to double taunt, and Mimikyu is usually ran over Bisharp on spikestacking teams lately, such as Adaam's HO team, as it is able to spinblock on spinners such as Tentacruel, Blastoise and Starmie if necessary. Mimikyu also provides you some valuable utility for a HO team, due to it's ability to revenge kill all sorts of threats such as Opposing Mega Sharpedo, Latias, Mega Altaria, and Haxorus. While it is usually unlikely to sweep in it's own right with the presence of threats such as Amoongus, and Mega Steels, Disguise offers it a freee opportunity to SD in certain matchups, especially if Scizor/Latias have already broken Mimikyu's checks suffciently, and it greatly appreciates the hazard stacking in these scenarios.

Major Change:

:bisharp: -> :mimikyu:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw / Wood Hammer
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Standard Mimikyu set here. You could opt to instead run Wood Hammer over Shadow Claw if you feel that you are struggling versus stall teams, however the stall matchup should be perfectly doable without if you play well. Shadow Claw on the other hand lets you threaten Scizor and Amoongus far more, which otherwise would use you as a free opportunity to Swords Dance or Spore respectively.

There were just a few small changes left to make now, primarily some set changes. a Swords Dance scizor set would fit much better here, greatly appreciating the hazard stacking, and with quick attack dealing with typical answers such as Rotom-heat, moltres and infernape much better, in particular preventing rotom-heat using you as a defog opportunity. I also slightly edited the Sharpedo set, as Ice Fang is a requirement on all Sharpedo's to be able to hit Hydreigon, which otherwise walled your set.

Minor Changes:

:scizor: (set change) -

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Swords Dance Scizor forms the other half of your breaking core with Latias, helping to break down the enemy teams for Sharpedo to clean later. Swords Dance + double priority allows Scizor to really threaten opposing teams, being able to OHKO pokemon such as Hydreigon and Latias at +2 after rocks with bullet punch, while OHKOing infernape after rocks at +2 with quick attack, and dealing 60-70% damage to rotom-heat at +2. The last moveslot I have left optional for you which determines which Pokemon walls your Scizor set, Superpower allows you to threaten Pokemon such as Steelix/Aggron-Mega and Cobalion that the teammates such as Mimikyu, Latias and Sharpedo dislike, however Knock Off allows you to deal with Doublade much more reliably. I would probably recommend Superpower however.

:Sharpedo-mega: (set change) -

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs / Earthquake

Small change here, but I put Ice Fang on as you are forced to run this for Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Altaria-Mega. The last slot is again optional, Psychic Fangs allows you to hit Primarina and Amoongus harder, while Earthquake allows you to hit Steels harder. If running Superpower on Scizor, I would run Psychic Fangs here, and visa versa.

Final Version

:sm/froslass: :sm/cobalion: :sm/scizor: :sm/mimikyu: :sm/latias: :sm/sharpedo-mega:

This is much more standard than the original team was, but I hope you enjoy.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
Hi SilkScarfGroudon, this was an interesting team you have, and welcome to smogon!

The first thing that jumped out at me about this team was the lack of stealth rocks, which is a requirement on basically all teams, and especially spike stacking HO teams.

You also had triple choice items, which is highly questionable due to the momentum loss on any team, but is very inadvisable on HO as the momentum loss can provide set up opportunities to Pokemon such as Scizor that you just don't deal with well when at +2, and can provide ample opportunities for the enemy to attempt to clear hazards, especially with rapid spin which bisharp can't punish as you don't have mimikyu to spinblock.

So the first thing I needed to do was add stealth rocks somewhere to this team. Azelf didn't really feel like it did very much for this team, as it's not running a breaker set with Nasty Plot + Adrenaline Orb, and isn't setting Stealth Rocks either, so I decided to get rid of this for another Stealth Rocker. While you could use Azelf, it is typically outshined by other options such as Krookodile and Cobalion which provide more defensive utility in the slot, such as being an electric immunity and having intimidate, or being a strong offensive scizor check and punishing scarf hydreigons attempting to dark pulse your froslass. I chose Cobalion here because it's much better versus Hydreigon, which in particular is fast enough to Taunt/Defog on Krookodile, and as a Scarfer can be an annoying lead vs froslass.

Major Change

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Fairly standard Stealth Rock Cobalion set for Spikestacking teams. Taunt allows you to prevent Defoggers such as Rotom-Heat and Hydreigon, which is very important for a team like this. Shuca berry allows you to quite happily survive an earthquake from Pokemon such as Krookodile and Aerodactyl, and hit them in return with a Close Combat or Iron Head. Cobalion is a very strong offensive scizor check which is useful for you due to the danger a +2 scizor can put your team in, dealing with most non Superpower scizor variants fairly well.

Next I felt that Starmie was also kind of out of place here. If you were to use it, I would 100% have recommend analytic over natural cure due to the power boost, but in general Latias is a much better fit here, as it provides you with a similar high speed tier while giving a ground immunity, much better bulk to pair with its natural resistances that help vs Pokemon such as Infernape, and a setup sweeper that can help break down the enemy team for sharpedo to clean later.

Major Change:

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias serves as one of your main breakers for this team, becoming much harder to swap into when hazards are up. Calm mind + STABs maximise your damage output, while hidden power fire allows you to OHKO all scizor variants after a calm mind, stopping them forcing you out. Z-Thunder(bolt) is another option over Hidden power fire if you wish that allows you to hit Empoleon (preventing it from using you as a defogging opportunity), while still hitting other steels high, but makes you struggle to break through bulkier teams more, due to the lack of recovery on the set.

One final change I wanted to make was to replace Bisharp with Mimikyu. While Bisharp's access to Defiant is useful, rapid spinners tend to be more problematic for these sorts of teams with the access to double taunt, and Mimikyu is usually ran over Bisharp on spikestacking teams lately, such as Adaam's HO team, as it is able to spinblock on spinners such as Tentacruel, Blastoise and Starmie if necessary. Mimikyu also provides you some valuable utility for a HO team, due to it's ability to revenge kill all sorts of threats such as Opposing Mega Sharpedo, Latias, Mega Altaria, and Haxorus. While it is usually unlikely to sweep in it's own right with the presence of threats such as Amoongus, and Mega Steels, Disguise offers it a freee opportunity to SD in certain matchups, especially if Scizor/Latias have already broken Mimikyu's checks suffciently, and it greatly appreciates the hazard stacking in these scenarios.

Major Change:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Standard Mimikyu set here. You could opt to instead run Wood Hammer over Shadow Claw if you feel that you are struggling versus stall teams, however the stall matchup should be perfectly doable without if you play well. Shadow Claw on the other hand lets you threaten Scizor and Amoongus far more, which otherwise would use you as a free opportunity to Swords Dance or Spore respectively.

There were just a few small changes left to make now, primarily some set changes. a Swords Dance scizor set would fit much better here, greatly appreciating the hazard stacking, and with quick attack dealing with typical answers such as Rotom-heat, moltres and infernape much better, in particular preventing rotom-heat using you as a defog opportunity. I also slightly edited the Sharpedo set, as Ice Fang is a requirement on all Sharpedo's to be able to hit Hydreigon, which otherwise walled your set.

Minor Changes:

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Swords Dance Scizor forms the other half of your breaking core with Latias, helping to break down the enemy teams for Sharpedo to clean later. Swords Dance + double priority allows Scizor to really threaten opposing teams, being able to OHKO pokemon such as Hydreigon and Latias at +2 after rocks with bullet punch, while OHKOing infernape after rocks at +2 with quick attack, and dealing 60-70% damage to rotom-heat at +2. The last moveslot I have left optional for you which determines which Pokemon walls your Scizor set, Superpower allows you to threaten Pokemon such as Steelix/Aggron-Mega and Cobalion that the teammates such as Mimikyu, Latias and Sharpedo dislike, however Knock Off allows you to deal with Doublade much more reliably. I would probably recommend Superpower however.

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Small change here, but I put Ice Fang on as you are forced to run this for Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Altaria-Mega. The last slot is again optional, Psychic Fangs allows you to hit Primarina and Amoongus harder, while Earthquake allows you to hit Steels harder. If running Superpower on Scizor, I would run Psychic Fangs here, and visa versa.

Final Version

:sm/froslass: :sm/cobalion: :sm/scizor: :sm/mimikyu: :sm/latias: :sm/sharpedo-mega:

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Major Change

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Major Change:

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias serves as one of your main breakers for this team, becoming much harder to swap into when hazards are up. Calm mind + STABs maximise your damage output, while hidden power fire allows you to OHKO all scizor variants after a calm mind, stopping them forcing you out. Z-Thunder(bolt) is another option over Hidden power fire if you wish that allows you to hit Empoleon (preventing it from using you as a defogging opportunity), while still hitting other steels high, but makes you struggle to break through bulkier teams more, due to the lack of recovery on the set.

Major Change:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Minor Changes:

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Final Version

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Wow that's a lot of changes! So, I may make the changes you suggested, but there's a way to include another special attacker? Azelf is in the team mainly for being a special attacker with great movepool and power, so if you can help me to include a special attacker besides latias it will help even more. But thanks for the advices anyway!

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Wow that's a lot of changes! So, I may make the changes you suggested, but there's a way to include another special attacker? Azelf is in the team mainly for being a special attacker with great movepool and power, so if you can help me to include a special attacker besides latias it will help even more. But thanks for the advices anyway!
Probably not without either dropping a core member such as Sharpedo or Mimikyu or using a less ideal stealth rocker than Cobalion. Latias is already a special attacker anyway, there isn't really any need for a second one at all.

While you say that was the reason for Azelf, it was Choice locked so really couldn't abuse that movepool and power very well, and would be more likely to offer free turns that could cause problems for you by locking into moves that allow enemy Pokemon such as Scizor to set up on it, allowing enemy Pokemon to Defog hazards away, or Wish pass to heal up the damage you have already done.

As i mentioned, a set that you could use on HO for an offensive Azelf would be a Nasty Plot + Adrenaline Orb set, such as this,

Azelf @ Adrenaline Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam / Energy Ball

This helps to abuse Azelf's movepool and stats, by turning it into a set up sweeper that acts as a late game cleaner, that can also gain a speed boost with the adrenaline orb from common counterplay in Scarf Krookodile.

Unfortunately though you wouldn't want to run this with Latias due to the double Psychic typing being really bad in the face of Pokemon such as Scarf Hydreigon. It also wouldn't really serve the same breaking power role as Latias, but as more of a late game cleaner, due to it's poor bulk, which especially makes it a lot weaker to priority, and necessitates that it kills most of it's targets because it will probably get killed in return. If you want to read more about this set, an analysis is currently being written about it here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nasty-plot-azelf-overview-oo-c-c-revamp-qc-0-3.3654792/

Probably not without either dropping a core member such as Sharpedo or Mimikyu or using a less ideal stealth rocker than Cobalion. Latias is already a special attacker anyway, there isn't really any need for a second one at all.

While you say that was the reason for Azelf, it was Choice locked so really couldn't abuse that movepool and power very well, and would be more likely to offer free turns that could cause problems for you by locking into moves that allow enemy Pokemon such as Scizor to set up on it, allowing enemy Pokemon to Defog hazards away, or Wish pass to heal up the damage you have already done.

As i mentioned, a set that you could use on HO for an offensive Azelf would be a Nasty Plot + Adrenaline Orb set, such as this,

Azelf @ Adrenaline Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam / Energy Ball

This helps to abuse Azelf's movepool and stats, by turning it into a set up sweeper that acts as a late game cleaner, that can also gain a speed boost with the adrenaline orb from common counterplay in Scarf Krookodile.

Unfortunately though you wouldn't want to run this with Latias due to the double Psychic typing being really bad in the face of Pokemon such as Scarf Hydreigon. It also wouldn't really serve the same breaking power role as Latias, but as more of a late game cleaner, due to it's poor bulk, which especially makes it a lot weaker to priority, and necessitates that it kills most of it's targets because it will probably get killed in return. If you want to read more about this set, an analysis is currently being written about it here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nasty-plot-azelf-overview-oo-c-c-revamp-qc-0-3.3654792/
Thanks for the advice again, I will see what really fits best with me and make the changes, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)