Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition - Week 15: New Kids on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was hoping I wouldn't have to break the tie, but I'm going to give this one to talkingtree for the Rotom-Fan! Congrats etc etc.

This week: Revenge of the GMax

You need to build a team centered around one of the following effects:

GMax Wildfire - Fire + Grass Pledge
GMax Resonance - Aurora Veil
GMax Gravitas - Gravity
GMax Sandblast - Sand Tomb
GMax Centiferno - Fire Spin
GMax Meltdown - Torment
GMax Depletion - Spite
GMax Gold Rush - Pay Day

To clarify: you don't actually use the Gmax Pokemon, you build at team around the effect.

Building ends like idk next Tuesday, voting after that. Have fun!

0A67C450-DA76-4660-ABA3-7DFAA783DA42.gif330602DB-0DB4-4C90-B55C-4AE45F7760DB.gif383F812B-99DA-489F-B2A1-07AA60D51ECA.gifDD731707-6538-44FA-B5C8-78104857E04D.gif5D3315CC-A2AC-4505-9CDE-B78E19019D91.gif6D6B05AD-1C40-4670-A416-52C361A5372C.gif

Pretty simple yet very fun veil offense

Starting off, we’re using Ninetales-Alola for veil Because veil is stupid. Simple stuff

Next, I decided to add Kyurem. Kyurem is a pretty underrated mon that can add a ton of pressure to an opposing team if played correctly. Decided to go with Blizzard to take advantage of Hail because wynaut. Freeze Dry is to snipe down any water types like Rotom-W or to give the occasional rain team some Hell. Earth Power is for Melmetal because this team is super vulnerable to it. And lastly I decided to add Draco just for a hard hitting single target STAB option. Behind veil, this can tank Double Iron Bash from Adamant Melmetal and do at least 80% back to it with EP assuming its not the rare AV set.

Next, we add Incineroar, which is my personal favorite Pokémon of all time lel. This gives me an added Melmetal check as well as a check to things like Dragapult, Torkoal, and sand. Also gives me a nice pivot in case I’m in a bind or want to do some trapping shenanigans with Goth Fake out option also gives me a near assured Veil setup in quite a lot of cases now that Dynamax can’t screw me over

Next, we add Corviknight. Originally, I had Melmetal in this spot as I wanted a setup wincon that abused the forced veil. However, the team was extremely weak to Excadrill, Rhyperior, Conkeldurr, and Incineroar, all of which Melmetal REALLY doesn’t care to deal with. Corviknight however fits the bill perfectly and can comfortably handle all of these threats on top of granting me both a ground immunity and an Intimidate repellant, which is glorious. I do trade these advantages for an unfortunate Electric weakness, but my team can cover most Electrics pretty well so its not too big a deal. Melmetal may have stolen a lot of this bird’s luster, but Corv is still a bitch in its own right imo

The penultimate slot goes to jail Gothitelle purely because hard Trick Room can suck a fat one. ‘Nuff said
It also does give me an extra Fake Out option, let’s me set TR myself in case some Whimsicott shenanigans or an extremely HO team gets too out of hand, as well as allows me to trap things (which is broken, plz ban)

And finally we add Dragapult because I wanted an immediate fast option that also could give myself an added check to Melmetal. Plus, it just looks cool. That’s a good reason, right? :p
Lilly (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Blizzard

Kyurem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 136 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Ban Me Plz (Gothitelle) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Imprison

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:oranguru: :rhyperior: :torkoal: :charizard: :venusaur: :zeraora:
Oranguru @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 20 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gravity
- Instruct
- Psychic

Rhyperior @ Soft Sand
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 184 HP / 232 Atk / 4 Def / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 26 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Protect

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 176 HP / 244 SpA / 88 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 17 Spe
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind
- Protect

Venusaur @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth
- Protect

Zeraora @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 28 Atk / 8 Def / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Taunt
I don't really have fun building Veil, and Gravity was pretty much the only other effect I could see doing something with. Gravity + Rhyperior is pretty potent, but I wanted to be able to use Earthquake for the spread and setting my own Gravity would remove the Ground immunities on my team too. Enter Telepathy Oranguru. Not only can it set Gravity and still avoid Rhyperior's Earthquake, but it can use Instruct to allow Rhyperior to use it *twice*. Gravity also fixes Stone Edge's accuracy issues. Torkoal is one of the best parts of any TR team, and gaining the ability to Earth Power Rotom-W or Rotom-H helps a lot with spreading sun. With Torkoal on the team already, I added a sun core, and Focus Blast Zard helped for handling Ttar with some of its accuracy issues potentially alleviated through Gravity. Fire/Fighting does leave it "walled" by Dragapult, but Tailwind is a better Pult check than any attack anyway. Zeraora plugged most of the holes left over; a fast mode outside of sun, Fake Out support for setting Tailwind/Substitute/Gravity/Growth, and something that could take out opposing Zard outside of Trick Room. Taunt is just generally nice to have and I try to fit it on most of my teams, though that meant I needed to change AV to another item and Shuca seemed alright.

Last edited:
:reuniclus::oranguru::tsareena::rhyperior::melmetal::incineroar:
I had been trying for a few days to make aurora veil work to no success, bringing back my old hail tr team wasn't the brigthest idea, however the comeback of this gravity tr team was more succesful. This team will also provide the replay for the tsareena viability suspect, when someone tells me how you are meant to link the replays that is (;

P.S. If you were thinking, ''this guy only ever builds tr teams", you'd be right. Lmao.

Reuniclus and oranguru both set up tr and are threats on their own, or due to instruct respectively. The first recieves an accuracy boost to it's 'focus' blast, while the later provides it with gravity, Rhyperior also benefits to a lesser extent. Tsareena counters gastrodon and allows the team to forget about being faked out or prankster status. Melmetal and rhyperior are together, the two physical attacker and main recipients of instruct. Meanwhile incineroar, well, do I have to really explain, the only weird thing I added was taunt to prevent setup and status, mainly hypnosis milotic.

Last edited:

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to call it here and break the tie in favor of Commander Beta. Congrats!

From now on, we're going to be running this every other week. Interest has been sort of waning and I'm running out of ideas, so hopefully running it every other week will help keep this going through DPL!

For a teaser, here's the next few competitions:

Week 12: The Lollipop Guild
Week 13: No Glove, All Love
Week 14: What's New, Pussycat?

Looking forward to continuing this Monday, April 27th!

Last edited:

tennisace

Alright, we're BACK! Here's this week's competition:

Week 12: The Lollipop Guild

- Teams must have at least one Pokemon that is NFE (not fully evolved)
- The following Pokemon may be used on any team, but do not count as the 1 NFE mon: Clefairy, Dusclops, Gothorita, Torracat
- Edit: for clarification, Meltan and Slowpoke-Galar will be allowed as they "evolve" but for various reasons aren't allowed in LC
- also for clarification, Little Cup eligible Pokemon are allowed. The Pokemon just has to be able to evolve.

Deadline for building is Saturday, May 2nd. Voting will happen after. Have fun!

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1588047464576.png
1588047474336.png
1588047487466.png
1588047506774.png
1588047524737.png
1588047536103.png

Wartortle seemed like a pretty safe pick to kick off this built. While slightly less optimal than its FE counterpart, Wartortle still does mighty fine as a Fake Out + Follow Me utility user thanks to Eviolite. Whereas Blastoise tries to still carry out some offensive option in the form of Scald or less commonly Body Press, I opted to make Wartortle a dedicated utility mon and also gave it Protect to increase the mindgames it can play.

The rest of this team is mostly just balanced goodstuffs, but Excadrill and Rotom both notably make good use of Wartortle's redirection support, being able to set up Swords Dance and Nasty Plot respectively.

I tossed G-Weezy in the last slot to give this team more of a leg up against weather teams, and in general I just think neutralizing gas is a great ability in this meta. It's also able to taunt all TR setters including Magic Bounce Hatterene, which is great insurance against fullroom.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:dusclops: :krabby: :torracat: :machamp: :melmetal: :Oranguru:

Honestly, it's just a pretty "standard" trick room team. Dusclops and monkey give me double Trick Room while Torracat replaces incin for this team due to the NFE theme and I wanted to use more than one even though two of them don't count. Krabby is actually a pretty strong Pokemon that can't be intimidated, unfortunately it doesn't get Wide Guard this gen but it still managed to keep Ally Switch for some surprises as well as haze to mess with opposing Melmetal. I've always liked using Machamp because it's a lot bulkier than people expect and Dynamic Punch confusion is never a bad thing to spread around.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
now introducing: JET FUEL

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Steel Beam

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Torkoal @ Choice Specs
Level: 99
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Hatterene (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Follow Me
- Light Screen
- Trick

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Detect
Solving the Challenge

In coming up with an entry for this challenge, the primary question I wanted to answer was: what NFE Pokemon can do a specific task better than its fully evolved forme while still being a relatively good pick, power level-wise? Of course, the parameters of challenge itself makes answering this question difficult already; the good NFE mons are banned, and looking for a half-decent qualified Pokemon is a tall ask. Even more, it needs to be better than its evolved forme at a specific task; if not, then it simply becomes a team that's deliberately shooting itself in the foot just for the sake of this challenge. A good entry, in my opinion, needs to make it so that the NFE is actually better at a very specific niche than its evolved forme while not being "bad" (a relative term for this exercise), so that the team itself is, in a sense, its most "superior" version in accordance to the vision it was built with.

The answer I came up with was Bronzor. With the task being NFEs, the role the star mon would have to take is likely supportive. I checked the numbers and, with Eviolite, Bronzor has comparable bulk with Bronzong; base 57 HP is quite a small drop from 67, for starters, but if both are maxed out in Defense then Eviolite Bronzor is better at taking physical attacks (handy for checking / setting on Melmetal). Of course, Bronzong can simply run a berry (Sitrus or pinch) to make this comparison moot; however, there is something else to Bronzor that specifically makes it the better choice...

Its base 24 Special Attack! Bronzong, for the record, has 74 Special Attack. Why does this matter? Well, it's because Bronzor's specific niche on this team is running Steel Beam, which lets both activate Rhyperior's Weakness Policy while at the same time possibly letting it suicide onto another threat, which can prove quite key in aggressive FullRoom builds where momentum is premium and time is of the essence. This set does around 16 to 20 to Rhyperior with 0 IVs and -SpA nature; Bronzong would probably just hurt too much, but this amount is neglible enough. Even without -Spe, it just sits around slower than base 30s. It's very fucking epic, if I do say so myself.

The team takes advantage on these niches, and outside of that it can still perform normal Bronzong things like setting TR, put up Rocks, and being annoying with Hypnosis. Noteworthy is how it can set up on Melmetal with some level of ease while separately still being able to take a Specs Pult Shadow Ball, it's really epic.

In the end, is this a good Trick Room team? I don't know! But does Bronzor's fit make it do something that it's better at than Bronzong while not making the team absolute shit? Probably!

TLDR: Bronzor has bulk comparable to Bronzong while also being able to safely proc Rhyp's WP with Steel Beam, which is handy for suiciding to a safe switch to a threat in TR turns.

Teambuilding Process

This is a typical FullRoom build, it's not exactly rocket science, but I suppose I'll do it anyway for the uninitiated.
  1. Bronzor and Rhyperior are stuff we wanted, done.
  2. Specs Torkoal is there because it's a strong Trick Room attacker and checks Melmetal, done.
  3. We need another Trick Room setter; I went with the Hat because it's offensive and doesn't give up too much room for Melmetal, done.
  4. Indeedee is there for Psychic Surge, handy for preventing Fake Out (less wasted TR turns) and boosting Hat, and also for FM (facilitates TR setting). Indeedee is TrickScarf because Milotic looks annoying as hell, might as well have something for it to think about (Scarf Light Screen is also nice).
  5. Conkeldurr is there for another attacker, but specifically for sniping Tar and Exca + sends Rotom-W and Incin packing too. Mach also gives me room for plays in the mid-game reset as it can pin down what would otherwise be threats.
The Zard matchup is funny so watch out! It's probably OK at doing FullRoom things otherwise i guess!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104727942
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104730270

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Double the challenge

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Protect

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stockpile
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Life Dew

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 12 SpA / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Overheat

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 72 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Stall seems like a viable playstyle after dmax ban and so I started building with corsola galar, a pokemon that made it to the vr on the very early ss stage and hasn't seen usage since then. Corsola is a decent melmetal check and can be pretty annoying to deal with, specially when paired with toxic spikes. Wow might seem not that useful when paired with toxic spikes but it helps to deal with excadrill (most ev spreads on this team are made to improve sand matchup anyways). Safety googles togekiss checks venusaur and dragapult. Electric type attacks seemed annoying so lightning rod rhydon looked like a pretty good option at this point, and since I can run sr on rhydon I could afford to run protect on corsola. Ferrothorn also made it to the team for being a reliable rotom-wash and excadrill check. For some specific matchups rotom-mow would be a decent option for this slot as well. Incineroar completes the team being a valuable ghost resist and sun check, and offering intimidate support.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104835723-5r938px75zocz0cq2bjg902vaik775jpw vs ladder trick room
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104833120-vyrr66affc4itupgo4y0uj7kimyqgscpw vs dracovish sunroom ._.

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- U-turn

Darumaka @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Sleep Talk

Melmetal @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 20 HP / 36 Atk / 24 Def / 252 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Body Press
- Acid Armor
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Tailwind
- Roost

dont miss with darumaka and click strong moves in tailwind

Smashed.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 10.44.26 AM.png

:pelipper::dracovish::zeraora::ludicolo::indeedee-f::wartortle:

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Rock Slide
- Psychic Fangs
- Low Kick

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Play Rough
- Volt Switch

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water

Indeedee-F @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Protect

Wartortle @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Shell Smash
- Protect

Watch the replays

Sextuple the challenge

Trapinch @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- First Impression
- Superpower
- Protect

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Protect

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Yawn
- Life Dew

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Protect

I was going to build something semi serious but instead I built this and it won its first and only game on the ladder so here it is. Trapinch, Rhydon and Duosion are some of the only NFEs that can do some damage so I built a fullroom core around them. Type:Null has excellent bulk and can check offensive Togekiss with Battle Armor and also be a potential wincon. Wartortle is one of the few NFEs that can check Melmetal and is basically required to get Trick Room up. Spritzee sucks but I needed a Trick Room setter not weak to Dark. It has no offences so I had to go with Endeavor over a real move. Encore is actually kinda decent on it though.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104757539

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
now introducing: JET FUEL

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Steel Beam

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Torkoal @ Choice Specs
Level: 99
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Hatterene (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Follow Me
- Light Screen
- Trick

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Detect
Solving the Challenge

In coming up with an entry for this challenge, the primary question I wanted to answer was: what NFE Pokemon can do a specific task better than its fully evolved forme while still being a relatively good pick, power level-wise? Of course, the parameters of challenge itself makes answering this question difficult already; the good NFE mons are banned, and looking for a half-decent qualified Pokemon is a tall ask. Even more, it needs to be better than its evolved forme at a specific task; if not, then it simply becomes a team that's deliberately shooting itself in the foot just for the sake of this challenge. A good entry, in my opinion, needs to make it so that the NFE is actually better at a very specific niche than its evolved forme while not being "bad" (a relative term for this exercise), so that the team itself is, in a sense, its most "superior" version in accordance to the vision it was built with.

The answer I came up with was Bronzor. With the task being NFEs, the role the star mon would have to take is likely supportive. I checked the numbers and, with Eviolite, Bronzor has comparable bulk with Bronzong; base 57 HP is quite a small drop from 67, for starters, but if both are maxed out in Defense then Eviolite Bronzor is better at taking physical attacks (handy for checking / setting on Melmetal). Of course, Bronzong can simply run a berry (Sitrus or pinch) to make this comparison moot; however, there is something else to Bronzor that specifically makes it the better choice...

Its base 24 Special Attack! Bronzong, for the record, has 74 Special Attack. Why does this matter? Well, it's because Bronzor's specific niche on this team is running Steel Beam, which lets both activate Rhyperior's Weakness Policy while at the same time possibly letting it suicide onto another threat, which can prove quite key in aggressive FullRoom builds where momentum is premium and time is of the essence. This set does around 16 to 20 to Rhyperior with 0 IVs and -SpA nature; Bronzong would probably just hurt too much, but this amount is neglible enough. Even without -Spe, it just sits around slower than base 30s. It's very fucking epic, if I do say so myself.

The team takes advantage on these niches, and outside of that it can still perform normal Bronzong things like setting TR, put up Rocks, and being annoying with Hypnosis. Noteworthy is how it can set up on Melmetal with some level of ease while separately still being able to take a Specs Pult Shadow Ball, it's really epic.

In the end, is this a good Trick Room team? I don't know! But does Bronzor's fit make it do something that it's better at than Bronzong while not making the team absolute shit? Probably!

TLDR: Bronzor has bulk comparable to Bronzong while also being able to safely proc Rhyp's WP with Steel Beam, which is handy for suiciding to a safe switch to a threat in TR turns.

Teambuilding Process

This is a typical FullRoom build, it's not exactly rocket science, but I suppose I'll do it anyway for the uninitiated.
  1. Bronzor and Rhyperior are stuff we wanted, done.
  2. Specs Torkoal is there because it's a strong Trick Room attacker and checks Melmetal, done.
  3. We need another Trick Room setter; I went with the Hat because it's offensive and doesn't give up too much room for Melmetal, done.
  4. Indeedee is there for Psychic Surge, handy for preventing Fake Out (less wasted TR turns) and boosting Hat, and also for FM (facilitates TR setting). Indeedee is TrickScarf because Milotic looks annoying as hell, might as well have something for it to think about (Scarf Light Screen is also nice).
  5. Conkeldurr is there for another attacker, but specifically for sniping Tar and Exca + sends Rotom-W and Incin packing too. Mach also gives me room for plays in the mid-game reset as it can pin down what would otherwise be threats.
The Zard matchup is funny so watch out! It's probably OK at doing FullRoom things otherwise i guess!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104727942
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1104730270
Is this the new Litwick meme

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:mr. mime-galar: :blastoise: :excadrill: :dragapult: :incineroar: :whimsicott:
Mr. Mime-Galar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Freeze-Dry
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Follow Me
- Yawn

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Whimsicott @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Fake Tears
- Protect
I was feeling really fed up with facing Coil Milotic, so NP Galarian Mime was my pick to represent the lollipop guild. Vital Spirit means you're immune to Hypno / Sleep Powder, but nobody seems to expect it so you end up getting a free turn lots of the time. With Nasty Plot and a decent speed tier, Freeze Dry/Fighting coverage can be really threatening to almost everything. Blastoise is the best redirector for Mr. Mime, and with Incineroar as a second Fake Out Mr. Mime's much more likely to get off a Nasty Plot. In case you aren't able to set up, Fake Tears Whimsicott pulls off a similar goal and sets TW for the few things that do outrun Mime in this meta. Excadrill hits Zard and has Shadow Claw because I couldn't really think of a fourth move and critting down a Goth/Necrozma/Pult seemed decent. I've never clicked it though so you could go with Scarf Rocks or something if you want. Pult was mostly just because I already had a Fake Tears Whims, but it also offers an offensive answer to Melmetal and a threatening way to clean up after Mime breaks stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)