is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Protect
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

This is a really slept on cleaner imo. Adamant Acrobatics is surprisingly strong, 1hko'ing standard Silvally spreads at +2, while protect and Speed Boost lets you outspeed the entire meta - 4 spe beats Jolly unburden Slurpuff, if that's a thing, and acro will kill as long as it was chipped a tiny bit while setting up. Protect stops one of the key flying resists offense has, scarf Togedemaru, revenging you or gaining momentum on you, as they can't click U-turn or you just swords dance again, meaning they have to Zing Zap, leaving you to bop them with a +2 u-turn and switch in a suitable answer. Mid game you just click U-turn to chip flying resists and force stuff out with a 110bp flying STAB off 306 attk.

Obviously hazard support is needed since no boots, but it can still nab opportunities with its few resists, immunities and barely acceptable bulk with this hp investment.

Have some random replays of it doing stuff because I'm trash at explaining anyway:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1069824343 - sets up on a Mantine and sweeps 3 mons, outspeeding what I assume was a scarf Rapidash
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1069832561 - sets up and sweeps 4 mons vs HO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1069665461 - no big sweep, takes out an Orbeetle and pivots + scouts a Specs Lapras
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1066859201 - punishing a u-turning Togedemaru by sweeping its team
is it maybe a good idea to run leech life over protect/u-turn? it hits several flying resists significantly harder, getting the guaranteed ohko on jolteon at +2 as well as getting a good chance to ko fridge after some chip (without having to switch out and reset ur boosts). the recovery u get from it may also be helpful if ur health is low, keeps u from getting snubbed by a stray priority move.

also, in the speculative pu meta i paired this with eviolite trapinch, seems like it also works in nu since it can deal with several things that get in the way of ninjask's sweep (sneasel, skuntank, garbodor (aftermath), togedemaru etc)

is it maybe a good idea to run leech life over protect/u-turn? it hits several flying resists significantly harder, getting the guaranteed ohko on jolteon at +2 as well as getting a good chance to ko fridge after some chip (without having to switch out and reset ur boosts). the recovery u get from it may also be helpful if ur health is low, keeps u from getting snubbed by a stray priority move.

also, in the speculative pu meta i paired this with eviolite trapinch, seems like it also works in nu since it can deal with several things that get in the way of ninjask's sweep (sneasel, skuntank, garbodor (aftermath), togedemaru etc)
Leech Life over U-turn is totally workable yeah, I just prefer U-turn to give it more mid-game utility in wearing down its own checks like Rhydon and scouting + pivoting on choiced mons. I wouldn't drop protect though, since Slurpuff is broken and outspeeding all the scarfers is really useful.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Ah yes, the edgy version of the (imo) most iconic Belly Drum user from the past generations:
Linoone-Galar. :Linoone-Galar: (I adore Dark-Types)
Let’s not talk too much and get to the heat
Linoone-Galar @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Parting Shot / Taunt
- Switcheroo / Hone Claws / Seed Bomb / Stomping Tantrum
Im just going to give my thoughts on this one since I think it is mostly slept on!
It has an amazing speed tier with 100 (ig everything above 95 is good) and a respectable base attack of 70. A great offenisve typing with the coverage to hit most of the meta for at least neutral damage.
What makes this set so good is the fact that you can throw of boosted Facades, not worrying about Ghost-Types to much 'cause they fear your Dark-STABs. What also comes with the boosted Facades is your boosted speed due to Quick Feet that gives you basically +1 which makes it an amazing revenge-killer. I think Facade and Knock Off (best move, change my mind) are indispensable. That leaves you two more slots to play around. I usually use Parting Shot for pivoting into my walls/bulky offensive mons and Switcheroo to cripple opposing walls or even sweepers by taking their items and giving them Toxic Orb.
Running Adamant as a nature gives you the maximum damage output. I dont think that Jolly is needed for this 'cause the only common things that outspeed you are scarf Haunter and scarf Toge (everything below the Rotoms get outspeeded).
But like every mon there is, this mon has it flaws. E.g. its relatively hard to get in safely to activate your Toxic Orb. I either try to get it on a predicted Psychic-Type attack (but they aren't really common) or via Volt-turn-cores. Also the damage it deals can sometimes be a little underwhelming.
But it definitely has its niche in NU (its the fastes Parting Shot user we have), even tho its going to drop to PU since nobody recognised it :(.
thats all from me, thanks again for reading; live long loud.

I usually hate anything defensive, but I've actually been enjoying this set.

THE SARCOPHAGUS
1582826751865.png

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Protect
- Body Press

This sent is meant to take a more bulk offense approach by abusing its new tool i Body Press. Will-O-Wisp is pretty self explanatory, and when partnered with Hex it can allow Cofagrigus to dish out some pain even without investment. Body Press capitalizes on its good physical defense and provides perfect coverage when paired with Hex, hitting Dark-types and Normal-types hard. I usually use Protect to stall for Leftovers recovery for to scout choice items. This thing is pretty bulk, easily dealing with most physical threats and throwing more burns than a roasting session. It also isn't as passive as you might think thanks to a double-power Hex and a Body Press coming from its nice defense stat. It can take hits and toss them back with the best of them.

You do have some options for this Pokemon. Toxic Spikes could potentially be used over Will-O-Wisp to provide some more team support while still letter you abuse Hex. Calm Mind, Haze, Pain Split, and Knock Off are also potential options, though it can be hard to find room for that. You could also potentially go specially-defensive, but this weakens the power of Body Press and makes it harder to deal with that physical threats in the tier.

This thing also has its problems too. It can be overwhelmed by powerful special attackers, as well as the Ghost-types and Dark-types in the tier like Darkvally and Haunter. It can also be worn down by status and hazards since it lacks reliable recovery. It's bulky and hits pretty hard, but there are other mons that are bulkier (Dusclops) or hit harder (Haunter).

Still, I think this set has a massive amount of potential as a catch-all bulky-offense mon that can spinblock, spread burns, and dish out some damage.

Also as long as we're talking about cool Ghost-types, I really wanna give Cursola a whirl. Imma try and see if I can make it work.

I always get a fun amount of angry reacts whenever I post a stall build, so I'll share another Shedinja-based team that I got to 1400+ on the ladder with. Gets smashed by Abomasnow + Vikavolt, Silvally-Ground with SD, and a bunch of other stuff but it still gets results.

shed stall v3.png

https://pokepast.es/dd796d3d6efc78e0

I also wanted to share some thoughts on a few other Mons I've had success with:

slurpuff.png

It may be a bit early to call for bans, the meta is obviously still new and upcoming tier shifts could change things even more. But this thing is a pain to to deal with now that it has BD. With hazard support, Parting Shot, or just pairing this thing with teammates that can handle bulky poisons, it's not hard for this thing to sweep even well-prepared teams.

mawile.png

Someone mentioned this thing earlier was good earlier in this thread, and I've been really impressed. It's a great check to both BD Slurpuff and Sneasel, two of the biggest threats in the metagame. It's also nice vs offensive fighting types, Toge, Silvally-Fairy, and a whole bunch else. Rocks is of course great, and I like Pain Split to steal HP from some of this thing's switch-ins, like Mantine or Sandaconda.

silvally ground.png

SD Silvally-Ground is really good in this metagame, because there's not that much that can take +2 Multi-Attack. Also, you can surprise your opponent with a electric immunity at times. Just some calcs of coverage moves vs. Ground resists.

+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Abomasnow: 332-392 (103.4 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 238-280 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground Rock Slide vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Vikavolt: 288-340 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ground U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Appletun: 204-242 (48.1 - 57%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

mantine.png

Mantine is great as a wall/pivot, but the set I want to highlight is its Life Orb set:

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Rain Dance

This thing is crazy good and can shred teams without a hard wall, like Lanturn or sp.def Mantine. It appreciates another hazard remover and/or hazard support to chip away teams for Mantine to sweep.

stunfisk.png

Not sure if anyone has posted about the bear trap. It's one of the best Vikavolt answers and is otherwise just stupid bulky. Underrated option as a hazard setter, and Yawn is really annoying for opposing teams.

abomasnow.png

Aurora Veil is obviously awesome, but I've been really impressed with Choice Specs as well. Blizzard, Giga Drain, and Earth Power is all the coverage it needs so the 4th move can still be Veil, or Ice Shard or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)