Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
C>A>B
C > B > A
B>C>A
After putting in the votes, the winner for this week is Kalifguest22! congrats, your submission will be added to the archive.
Week 46: Nidoking
034[1].png

Nidoking is a powerful wallbreaker with great defensive utility in hard checking Tapu Koko. With its powerful stabs and fantastic coverage movepool, Nidoking can break most defensive cores with brutal efficency, being able to beat even Blissey with supereffective Fighting coverage.

You have until Monday to build teams based around Nidoking.​

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Nidoking-Hex Dragapult VoltTurn

This is a Volt-Turn team that makes use of all kinds of pivots to bring in Nidoking safely, so that it gets maximum opportunities to wall break with minimal chip. Nidoking here makes use of Focus Punch to lure and beat Blissey, which opens up Dragapult to spam Shadow Ball more easily. This Ghost spammability also means that Dragapult can use Hex in 4th slot to break past checks like Clefable, Hippowdon, Toxapex etc.. after they have been statused. Rotom-Lando-Corv form the backbone of the team, taking hits, spreading status and hazards, and pivoting slowly to get in Nidoking and Dragapult safely. Finally, Urshifu-R acts as another wallbreaker and pivot that baits in Slowbro and Toxapex for Nidoking.

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1421589336-9aub472gvkt5a6hyizrsys51qubvwkbpw - Burning away fat

Last edited:
Rain on the King

Pokémon-Icon_260.png
Pokémon-Icon_034.png
Pokémon-Icon_785.png
Pokémon-Icon_279.png
Pokémon-Icon_598.png
Pokémon-Icon_887.png

Rain on the King

I really wanted to go for a rain team here since Thunder can hit really hard at times.
On Nidoking I went for Ice Beam for defensive Lando since it does OHKO.
Tapu Kokos is for stoping set ups on Walls like Clefable, also his electric surge combines well with Thunder and the Rain, it also provides good speed control toghether with Dragapult since Nidoking only has decent speed.
For Hazard I chose Ferro since it also Provides good proections against a Psychic or Psyshock from Lele and it helps breaking down teams with Knock off and T-Wave.
Pelipper is really just for setting up the rain and providing some momentum with slower U-Turns, so you can bring in Koko or Dragapult to deal some damage.
Swampert is for providing some control with yawn and serves as an alternative Stealth Rocks user.
I chose a physical Dragapult because the entire team is rather on the special side and I didn't want to be stoped by a physical wall

Note: I don't know how to add fancy links to pictures like the others did so if someone wants to explain it to me please go ahead

Last edited:
Nidoking Spikes BO

:nidoking: :ferrothorn: :dragapult: :urshifu-rapid strike: :landorus-therian: :tapu fini:

https://pokepast.es/3996f9343e3bf759

I decided to go with a hazard stack style this week since Nidoking heavily pressures the tier's Defog users and appreciates its opponents being chipped. Ferrothorn gives Spikes, Knock Off support, and keeps water types at bay. No pun intended. Specs Dragapult serves as a fast breaker that can also help Nidoking pivot into Tapu Fini and Clefable. I love pairing Urshifu with Dragapult so I added that next. It provides much-needed power on the physical side and can revenge kill with Aqua Jet. Lando-T is a nice glue option that helps with ground types and physical attackers in general while setting Stealth Rock, pivoting against Defog users with its U-Turn, and spamming Knock Off because it's a brain dead, glue eater move. Tapu Fini fills the last slot because it helps deal with Dragapult, Urshifu, and Heatran. Its trapper set is excellent on this team because it wears down, if not outright removes, Blissey and Toxapex.

This team holds up fairly well against most playstyles I've encountered. However, beware of letting Dragapult die early or Kartana will auto-win. Do not let Roost Dragonite set up. Try not to let the bulkier mons get their items removed from Knock Off as they have no recovery otherwise.

Gomi

yep
time to vote :nidoking:

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission.

Team A by agslash23
Nidoking-Hex Dragapult VoltTurn

This is a Volt-Turn team that makes use of all kinds of pivots to bring in Nidoking safely, so that it gets maximum opportunities to wall break with minimal chip. Nidoking here makes use of Focus Punch to lure and beat Blissey, which opens up Dragapult to spam Shadow Ball more easily. This Ghost spammability also means that Dragapult can use Hex in 4th slot to break past checks like Clefable, Hippowdon, Toxapex etc.. after they have been statused. Rotom-Lando-Corv form the backbone of the team, taking hits, spreading status and hazards, and pivoting slowly to get in Nidoking and Dragapult safely. Finally, Urshifu-R acts as another wallbreaker and pivot that baits in Slowbro and Toxapex for Nidoking.

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1421589336-9aub472gvkt5a6hyizrsys51qubvwkbpw - Burning away fat
Team B by Chy3_14
Rain on the King

View attachment 374413View attachment 374414View attachment 374415View attachment 374416View attachment 374417View attachment 374418
Rain on the King

I really wanted to go for a rain team here since Thunder can hit really hard at times.
On Nidoking I went for Ice Beam for defensive Lando since it does OHKO.
Tapu Kokos is for stoping set ups on Walls like Clefable, also his electric surge combines well with Thunder and the Rain, it also provides good speed control toghether with Dragapult since Nidoking only has decent speed.
For Hazard I chose Ferro since it also Provides good proections against a Psychic or Psyshock from Lele and it helps breaking down teams with Knock off and T-Wave.
Pelipper is really just for setting up the rain and providing some momentum with slower U-Turns, so you can bring in Koko or Dragapult to deal some damage.
Swampert is for providing some control with yawn and serves as an alternative Stealth Rocks user.
I chose a physical Dragapult because the entire team is rather on the special side and I didn't want to be stoped by a physical wall

Note: I don't know how to add fancy links to pictures like the others did so if someone wants to explain it to me please go ahead
Team C by JTD783
Nidoking Spikes BO

:nidoking: :ferrothorn: :dragapult: :urshifu-rapid strike: :landorus-therian: :tapu fini:

https://pokepast.es/3996f9343e3bf759

I decided to go with a hazard stack style this week since Nidoking heavily pressures the tier's Defog users and appreciates its opponents being chipped. Ferrothorn gives Spikes, Knock Off support, and keeps water types at bay. No pun intended. Specs Dragapult serves as a fast breaker that can also help Nidoking pivot into Tapu Fini and Clefable. I love pairing Urshifu with Dragapult so I added that next. It provides much-needed power on the physical side and can revenge kill with Aqua Jet. Lando-T is a nice glue option that helps with ground types and physical attackers in general while setting Stealth Rock, pivoting against Defog users with its U-Turn, and spamming Knock Off because it's a brain dead, glue eater move. Tapu Fini fills the last slot because it helps deal with Dragapult, Urshifu, and Heatran. Its trapper set is excellent on this team because it wears down, if not outright removes, Blissey and Toxapex.

This team holds up fairly well against most playstyles I've encountered. However, beware of letting Dragapult die early or Kartana will auto-win. Do not let Roost Dragonite set up. Try not to let the bulkier mons get their items removed from Knock Off as they have no recovery otherwise.
Deadlines in 2 days.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
B>C>A

I actually like team A more than the two others conceptually but it's very weak to standard Hail and it's very weak to Kyurem compared to the other two. Hopefully providing my two cents won't discourage anybody, or others in the future to post but at least you'll have an idea why I chose what.

B > C > A

I don't really like rain but the other two teams have glaring weaknesses, A to hail as AM said but also opposing pult/kyurem/dragonite to an extent, C to tornadus-t either Defog or av it just gives the team nightmares

Gomi

yep
B>C>A
A > B > C
A > C > B
B > C > A
A>C>B
C>B>A
C>B>A
C>B>A
After putting in the votes, the winner for this week is JTD783! congrats, your submission will be added to the archive.
Week 47: Dracozolt

880[1].png

Dracozolt is a powerful wallbreaker and sand abuser that has largely fallen by the wayside due to its distaste for common Spdef ground types such as Lando-t and Hippowdon, alongside its heavily prediction reliant nature and difficulty getting itself into play. That being said, Dracozolt has the incredibly powerful Bolt Beak alongside great coverage in Fire Blast+Earthquake and a powerful secondary stab in Draco Meteor.

You have until Monday to submit teams based around Dracozolt. ill probably have to extend this dw

Last edited:

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Zolt-Chomp Sand BO

:Dracozolt: :Garchomp: :Excadrill: :Tyranitar: :Tornadus-Therian: :Slowbro:

Dracozolt's major predicament in SS OU rn is the rise of SpDef grounds like Lando-T and Hippo. But, once they are out of the picture, Dracozolt is nigh unwallable. Sand Support not only means that it is faster than most mons, but its Bolt Beak hits at 170BP. Hence, I made this team with Dracozolt as the primary sweeper.

Garchomp is a great partner for it. Garchomp invites in Lando-T, which helps it weaken it with SD + Scale Shot, so that Dracozolt can simply Draco late game against Lando-T. Sand Veil + Substitute helps Chomp fish for opponent misses, so that it gets a few more free turns to setup.

Excadrill is the next partner. Another Sand staple, Excadrill brings in plenty of role compression to the table. Access to Toxic means it can further pressure SpDef grounds like Hippo and Lando, Rapid Spin ensures that there is no need to add a defogger to the team, Sand Rush lets it RK opponent Dracozolt and act as another sand sweeper. It's SpDef oriented here to let it take Tapu Lele's STABs, counter Tapu Koko and Clefable, and most importantly switch into Arctozolt reliably.

TTar is the sand setter of choice coz its SpDef set lets it switch into Special Attackers like Dragapult, Volcarona, Kyurem (be wary of Focus Blast though). It also has access to Ice Beam to add another pressuring tool vs Lando-T.

Tornadus-T is Sand's mandatory Rilla, Kart switch-in. Taunt means that it can simply sit on fat mons, most importantly Hippo, making the fat/stall matchup much better. The SpDef is to scout for Tapu Lele's moves atleast once.

Finally, Slowbro is the Urshifu-R, Melmetal and opponent ground check. With Colbur Berry + Body Press, it also fixes a troubling matchup in Weavile (Tried out Rocky Helmet earlier for the aformentioned mons, but Weavile MU was dire, hence went with Colbur). Slowbro, along with Torn, further provides much needed pivoting support which is essential for this team to function.

Replay :

Vs Ox Hail - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1416606089
Vs DragonClaw Hail - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1416652839-6b8xjmtr7mgacqoavqqmecqg6n57bzfpw

Last edited:
:Dracozolt::Tyranitar::Garchomp::Skarmory::Slowking-Galar::Rillaboom:

Dracozolt is pretty strong, but struggles against Ground-types and doesn't like it when Sand isn't active since it becomes pretty damn slow. Physically Defensive Slowking-G (credit to Ctann for this set) is a pretty pog parter since it can lure and KO Landorus-T w/ Ice Beam while also spreading paralysis and checking Urshifu. Trick + Black Sludge is really nice combined w/ Fire Spin Dracozolt since you wear down switch-ins like Lando-T and Ferrothorn much faster. Rest of the team is self explanatory I think. Tyranitar is here to setup the Sand, and help w/ spreading Paralysis (also checks Dragapult and Volcarona which is hella nice). Garchomp is here to set up rocks and can help weaken Landorus-T with boosted Rock Slides. Skarmory sets up spikes, making it easier for Dracozolt to clean later. Also acts as a more relaible answer to Landorus while also checking Weavile and Scizor. Rillaboom is here for speed control, while also helping against other Terrains, weather, and Ground-types (weakening Earthquake is really nice for the rest of the team).

There are probably some optimizations I could do to make the team a bit better. Since I've got T-Wave on Slowking, it might be better to run something else on Tyranitar, like Stealth Rock. That would also help free up a moveslot on Garchomp, letting it run something like Toxic or Scale Shot instead.

A replay of this team in action. I may provide more if I've got time.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1428727232
Physically Defensive Slowking-G is able to kill Landorus-T on turn 1, making it pretty free for dracozolt to sweep.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Lycanroc-Dusk and Double Hazards Sand

:hippowdon: :ferrothorn: :excadrill: :dracozolt: :celesteela: :lycanroc-dusk:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/921631c57d54dc7e

Explanation: This team is built with Hippowdon as the Sand Stream setter and Ferrothorn which helps Hippowdon in setting up entry hazards. Hippowdon has Stealth Rocks and Ferrothorn has Spikes, which can help Excadrill and Dracozolt to break through the opposition. Celesteela is the Ground-immune and it has Autotomize + Power Herb + Meteor beam to get an immediate SpA boost and also to help out its mediocre Speed tier. Lycanroc-Dusk is the last member on this squad with SD + 3 attacks to break past a multitude of Pokemon such as Steel-types, Flying-types, Fire-types, and it also has Accelerock to have Priority against faster threats and it can also help against Hail teams with its strong Accelerock and is a great anti-lead to Alolan Ninetales and it can threaten Arctozolt and Tornadus-T.​

Last edited:

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
Balls Hard Sand

Here’s the team:
no I didn’t just copy my lab post
:tyranitar::clefable::dracozolt::tornadus-therian::garchomp::toxapex:
:tyranitar: and :clefable: are a great sand duo able to break pass many cores. CM lo clef was the obvious choice as with sand storm up, magic guard is a great partner ability.

:dracozolt: was added in next as most teams after :landorus-therian: goes down is helpless against this demon. There is a great tech to counteract this problem.

:garchomp: The goat Skypenguin made this set. Whirlpool surf can trap both :hippowdon: and :landorus-therian:. Whirlpool into expert belt surf will be a 2hko on both mons.

:tornadus-therian: as the fogger and speed control if zolt is outside of sand. Kartana and rillaboom were also both big threats and torn checks both.

:toxapex: was added in as the glue also to provide tspikes support. Knock was dropped for tspikes as tspikes is great support for all the breakers on this team. Not to mention a great :urshifu-rapid-strike: check.

I hope you enjoy!

Gomi

yep
Time to vote! :dracozolt:

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission.

Team A by agslash23
Zolt-Chomp Sand BO

:Dracozolt: :Garchomp: :Excadrill: :Tyranitar: :Tornadus-Therian: :Slowbro:

Dracozolt's major predicament in SS OU rn is the rise of SpDef grounds like Lando-T and Hippo. But, once they are out of the picture, Dracozolt is nigh unwallable. Sand Support not only means that it is faster than most mons, but its Bolt Beak hits at 170BP. Hence, I made this team with Dracozolt as the primary sweeper.

Garchomp is a great partner for it. Garchomp invites in Lando-T, which helps it weaken it with SD + Scale Shot, so that Dracozolt can simply Draco late game against Lando-T. Sand Veil + Substitute helps Chomp fish for opponent misses, so that it gets a few more free turns to setup.

Excadrill is the next partner. Another Sand staple, Excadrill brings in plenty of role compression to the table. Access to Toxic means it can further pressure SpDef grounds like Hippo and Lando, Rapid Spin ensures that there is no need to add a defogger to the team, Sand Rush lets it RK opponent Dracozolt and act as another sand sweeper. It's SpDef oriented here to let it take Tapu Lele's STABs, counter Tapu Koko and Clefable, and most importantly switch into Arctozolt reliably.

TTar is the sand setter of choice coz its SpDef set lets it switch into Special Attackers like Dragapult, Volcarona, Kyurem (be wary of Focus Blast though). It also has access to Ice Beam to add another pressuring tool vs Lando-T.

Tornadus-T is Sand's mandatory Rilla, Kart switch-in. Taunt means that it can simply sit on fat mons, most importantly Hippo, making the fat/stall matchup much better. The SpDef is to scout for Tapu Lele's moves atleast once.

Finally, Slowbro is the Urshifu-R, Melmetal and opponent ground check. With Colbur Berry + Body Press, it also fixes a troubling matchup in Weavile (Tried out Rocky Helmet earlier for the aformentioned mons, but Weavile MU was dire, hence went with Colbur). Slowbro, along with Torn, further provides much needed pivoting support which is essential for this team to function.

Replay :

Vs Ox Hail - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1416606089
Vs DragonClaw Hail - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1416652839-6b8xjmtr7mgacqoavqqmecqg6n57bzfpw
Team B by Magcargo
:Dracozolt::Tyranitar::Garchomp::Skarmory::Slowking-Galar::Rillaboom:

Dracozolt is pretty strong, but struggles against Ground-types and doesn't like it when Sand isn't active since it becomes pretty damn slow. Physically Defensive Slowking-G (credit to Ctann for this set) is a pretty pog parter since it can lure and KO Landorus-T w/ Ice Beam while also spreading paralysis and checking Urshifu. Trick + Black Sludge is really nice combined w/ Fire Spin Dracozolt since you wear down switch-ins like Lando-T and Ferrothorn much faster. Rest of the team is self explanatory I think. Tyranitar is here to setup the Sand, and help w/ spreading Paralysis (also checks Dragapult and Volcarona which is hella nice). Garchomp is here to set up rocks and can help weaken Landorus-T with boosted Rock Slides. Skarmory sets up spikes, making it easier for Dracozolt to clean later. Also acts as a more relaible answer to Landorus while also checking Weavile and Scizor. Rillaboom is here for speed control, while also helping against other Terrains, weather, and Ground-types (weakening Earthquake is really nice for the rest of the team).

There are probably some optimizations I could do to make the team a bit better. Since I've got T-Wave on Slowking, it might be better to run something else on Tyranitar, like Stealth Rock. That would also help free up a moveslot on Garchomp, letting it run something like Toxic or Scale Shot instead.

A replay of this team in action. I may provide more if I've got time.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1428727232
Physically Defensive Slowking-G is able to kill Landorus-T on turn 1, making it pretty free for dracozolt to sweep.
Team C by Katy
Lycanroc-Dusk and Double Hazards Sand

:hippowdon: :ferrothorn: :excadrill: :dracozolt: :celesteela: :lycanroc-dusk:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/921631c57d54dc7e

Explanation: This team is built with Hippowdon as the Sand Stream setter and Ferrothorn which helps Hippowdon in setting up entry hazards. Hippowdon has Stealth Rocks and Ferrothorn has Spikes, which can help Excadrill and Dracozolt to break through the opposition. Celesteela is the Ground-immune and it has Autotomize + Power Herb + Meteor beam to get an immediate SpA boost and also to help out its mediocre Speed tier. Lycanroc-Dusk is the last member on this squad with SD + 3 attacks to break past a multitude of Pokemon such as Steel-types, Flying-types, Fire-types, and it also has Accelerock to have Priority against faster threats and it can also help against Hail teams with its strong Accelerock and is a great anti-lead to Alolan Ninetales and it can threaten Arctozolt and Tornadus-T.​
Team D by zeno420
Balls Hard Sand

Here’s the team:
no I didn’t just copy my lab post
:tyranitar::clefable::dracozolt::tornadus-therian::garchomp::toxapex:
:tyranitar: and :clefable: are a great sand duo able to break pass many cores. CM lo clef was the obvious choice as with sand storm up, magic guard is a great partner ability.

:dracozolt: was added in next as most teams after :landorus-therian: goes down is helpless against this demon. There is a great tech to counteract this problem.

:garchomp: The goat Skypenguin made this set. Whirlpool surf can trap both :hippowdon: and :landorus-therian:. Whirlpool into expert belt surf will be a 2hko on both mons.

:tornadus-therian: as the fogger and speed control if zolt is outside of sand. Kartana and rillaboom were also both big threats and torn checks both.

:toxapex: was added in as the glue also to provide tspikes support. Knock was dropped for tspikes as tspikes is great support for all the breakers on this team. Not to mention a great :urshifu-rapid-strike: check.

I hope you enjoy!
Deadlines in 2 days.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
A > D > B > C

I like B more conceptually than the others but it looks really weak to any sort of Mag structure. Definitely some cool techs that could be fleshed out for everything to fit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)