Staff Interviews - 3rd Edition: Round 1!

st. pablo

custom title
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
nui.jpg

real picture of nui in his interviewing environment.
Hey everyone, I'm pleased to be bringing you the third iteration of PS! Staff Interviews! If you aren't in the know, staff interviews are exactly what they sound like. This is a fun little project that involves the global staff members being interviewed in order for everyone to get to know the people that are hard at work behind the scenes on the sim. This has always been a huge hit in our community and they're always a fun read, so we are reviving it once again with this third edition! This thread is going to serve as the new hub for all the staff interviews, if you'd like to refer back to the old second iteration of the staff interviews, then have at it, or if you'd like to refer back to the old, old, iteration from when it was first hosted on the Smogon magazine "The Player" then feel free to check that out as well. This OP will be updated with the interviews for each round so keep checking back.

With all that being said, my partner in crime, nui, and I have interviewed the first two participants for this iteration: Aelita and Tiksi!

2:31 PM] Arrested: Alright, lets get this started! I'm going to be interviewing Aelita for this first round of interviews, do you wanna start with a short little introduction about yourself?

[2:36 PM] Aelita: I do! As people generally know, I'm a guy contrary to my name, who is a female character from a French anime called Code Lyoko. It was a big part of my childhood and to be honest it was/would be kind of hard to get the actual name of my favorite character from it: Odd. I'm 24, in the US for the past 7 years for my bachelor's and masters degrees, originally Indian, brought up in Hong Kong, been to 4 out of the world's 7 continents. I'm quite well travelled. I got into Pokemon years ago and since then the intricacy has always fascinated me. I always was competitive, so I jumped into Shoddy Battle, Pokemon Online, and now Pokemon Showdown. I enjoy video games and watching movies in theaters and sometimes on Netflix.

[2:40 PM] Arrested: Oh, that's super cool! You really get around a lot haha, what were you studying?

[2:41 PM] Aelita: I recently graduated with a master's certificate in Management.

[2:43 PM] Arrested: Ah gotcha, what would be your ideal career?

[2:44 PM] Aelita: Honestly, I want to jump back into HR. I worked after graduation in the field and I definitely want to continue. I love a dynamic environment.

[2:47 PM] Arrested: Oh cool, that sounds pretty perfect, I'm literally only familiar with HR through TV/movies so I'm not all that certain what it entails but a quick google search tells me it's pretty similar to the kinds of things we'd do in PS staff.

[2:47 PM] Arrested: Do you think PS has influenced your liking to HR? or vice versa maybe?

[2:51 PM] Aelita: Pretty much! I think it goes both ways. I got real-life experience and it was surprisingly similar to what I did on PS and on another game I play religiously: Elder Scrolls Online. I really think I started getting experience when I became a Mafia auth on PO initially, and it's just developed me since then. PS has been great for helping me manage people remotely and keep them engaged. It is a combination of teamwork, managing people, and employee engagement - all essential parts of HR.

[2:54 PM] Arrested: Very cool! It's always cool when you can connect something irl to something from PS

[2:54 PM] Arrested: Now, getting more into PS, I'll go on with the very basic "how did you find PS?"

[2:57 PM] Aelita: It was sort of a natural progression from PO. I was very involved in Mafia and Trivia on PO, and I heard tell of a web based battling simulator without downloads. I thought it was too good to be true (it was honestly not much better than Shoddy Battle at the time!) but I found myself interested more and more in not having to download newer versions. Then I swapped over fully (the PO management weren't very good), and got rank in Mafia before progressing and expanding to the different rooms I staff in now.

[3:00 PM] Arrested: Ah nice, around when did you end up joining? and when did you join the global staff team?

[3:02 PM] Aelita: I joined over on PS around I want to say mid 2013. I joined global staff as driver around April 2014., and I got global mod in May 2018.

[3:03 PM] Aelita: An interesting quirk: I don't even remember when I got global voice. I found out only through talking with one of my then staff at the time in PMs and I noticed the +.

[3:05 PM] Arrested: The best promotions are the ones you don't know about after all. :^)

[3:05 PM] Aelita: I know more about that than basically anyone :^)

[3:06 PM] Arrested: So you've been around for roughly five years now, you're becoming quite the vet! Seeing PS go through so many changes, what would you have to say has been your favorite part about PS throughout all these years?

[3:09 PM] Aelita: Honestly I don't know of a specific part. I enjoyed the little quirks we go through. Super Staff Bros is definitely up at the top of the list. When one of my staff deleted the Help room that was hilarious too. April Fools pranks are also high up. I love the globals, my staff, and the users I moderate.

[3:11 PM] Arrested: That's awesome! It'd definitely be hard to pinpoint one of my favorite things too, so I definitely feel you there. So what would you say keeps you coming back to PS? What keeps your interest fresh and involved in this lovely community?

[3:13 PM] Aelita: Apart from the globals, my staff and the users? Probably my own interest in contributing to the community as a whole.

[3:13 PM] Aelita: We are what we make ourselves to be.

[3:14 PM] Arrested: That's awesome, I like that sentiment.

[3:15 PM] Arrested: This might be a tough one to choose too, but here's the obligatory, 'what's your favorite room on the site' question. ;)

[3:15 PM] Aelita: :thinking:

[3:16 PM] Aelita: Hard to say. Probably have to choose between JTVF and Cafe. They're my two main interests: movies and food.

[3:18 PM] Arrested: As ex-auth in both rooms, I definitely relate with you on that.

[3:19 PM] Arrested: We touched on it at the beginning of the interview slightly, but do you think PS has had a great influence on your personal life?

[3:20 PM] Aelita: I do. I've met a number of globals irl. Very nice people. I believe my HR skills have developed thanks to PS, and that's another part.

[3:21 PM] Arrested: That's super cool! It's great to see friendships being maintained both on-screen and off-screen.

[3:22 PM] Arrested: This is gonna be my last 'question' but do you have any advice for newcomers wanting to contribute?

[3:27 PM] Aelita: Absolutely!

1) Be yourself. There's no point in acting like someone you're not when you want to contribute.
2) Don't argue with people. It's not worth it. Agree to disagree if you have to.
3) Don't force your opinions on others.
4) Just talk about what everyone else is talking about, and then switch topic when the conversation veers off or stops. If a room is quiet don’t spam it with “why isn’t no one talking” and such. Go with the flow.
5) Self explanatory: don't be a dick and don't come off like an asshole or an unlikeable or pushy person.

[3:28 PM] Arrested: Great advice, +1 to what was said. Anything else you'd like to end this on for the readers?

[3:29 PM] Aelita: Nothing in particular. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, comments, or just want to talk. Thanks for interviewing me, Arrested!

[3:30 PM] Arrested: Alrighty then, thanks for all your time, it's been so much fun getting to know you Aelita, my pleasure!

[1:15 PM] nui: Hi Tiksi! we were finally able to have our schedules aligned! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to sit down and chat! How are you feeling today?

[1:17 PM] Tiksi: The stars have come together! As for me, I'm feeling fantastic honestly; it's a Friday, Christmas is almost here, I'm about to win my first game of Civ...what's not to like?

[1:21 PM] nui: That's great to hear! Civ is actually one of my favorite games (the fifth one being the best of course) we should play sometime so I can destroy you with ghandi :smiley: alright so lets jump right into it, first things first! I'm curious (as i'm sure the people reading are), who is user: tiksi outside of PS? Do you consider yourself to be a studious individual, or just someone who likes to goof off a lot? Or maybe you have a bit of a rebellious side in real life?

[1:28 PM] Tiksi: Well, a bit of all three honestly! I can write papers or hit the books for hours if I want to... or have to..., but I prefer to take it easy when I can. Being in my first year of undergrad now, I've had to be careful to not get myself in trouble with that last bit! I'm not your stereotypical metal-listening, dyed-hair rebel against the society but I can be a bit obstinate when I can get away with it lol.

[1:31 PM] Tiksi: It sometimes feels like that hard-working streak comes more easily in PS than in school...:think:

[1:39 PM] nui: PS can be very addicting best believe that. You said this is your first year of undergrad? Congrats freshie!! Do you know what you plan to do as a career or are you experimenting on a career path?

[1:42 PM] Tiksi: Woo college!! I'm shooting for law school later, but I'm planning to major in accounting now. Gives me something good and interesting to do if I change my mind about law school, but even if I don't, words+numbers is overpowered.

[1:47 PM] nui: Accounting seems to be a pretty popular major now a days (Would you like to be my accountant , i want to pay less in taxes please). Out of the 150+ majors available what made you decide on law school? Did PS! policy by any chance help contribute to that decision? Or did you come from a background of lawmakers and prosecutors :eyes:

[1:52 PM] Tiksi: No law in my background, but I love digging into subjective problems and ideas of all kinds, making cases and detailed arguments, and researching for my points... and you're totally right to see the parallel to PS! policy! i really do feel that it has let me crystallize my interest in such things as well as practice and improve my abilities.

[1:52 PM] Tiksi: And if you can manage to pay me in Cradilies... we might have a deal.

[1:53 PM] Tiksi: There's a reason why you work to become a Cradily Public Accountant after all!

[2:01 PM] nui: I.... think maybe i'll pass on the cradily accounting serves for the time being.... You mentioned that you liked playing Civ earlier, what kind of video games do you like aside from Pokemon and Civ? I picture you playing some nice anime simulators and storyboard games :^)

[2:09 PM] Tiksi: i dont w-watch anime o3o. Mario and sports/party games are generally my picks besides Pokemon and strategy. Galaxy will always be my favorite, but I love Mario Kart 8 so much that I've got actually decent with the bikes, and I've pre-ordered Smash Ultimate. NBA2K will also join the roster once I get an SD for space to download it...

[2:18 PM] nui: That reminds me, I actually need to buy a switch (sorry false, soon). I really want to play the new Mario Odyssey game I heard it was one of the better Mario titles. Speaking of titles, your name has been a subject of question among staff and regulars for awhile now. For those that don't know, can you tell us the origin of your name and why in hell do you love cradily so god damn much!

[2:24 PM] Tiksi: Ah yes, my name. The original Pokemon games had a very interesting habit of referencing real-life places and things; I can never get over both Raichu and Gastly's Pokedex entries stating how they can faint Indian Elephants, of all things. One Silph. Co employee complains how the President sent him to "the Tiksi branch" of the company, with Tiksi being a real city in northern Russia. I also love learning about Russia, so the name was a match! First as TheTiksiBranch, then shortened to Tiksi as it is now.

[2:25 PM] Tiksi: As for Cradily, because it's the objective best! Why else?

[2:27 PM] Tiksi: Well, I guess there's not as simple an explanation for it. I guess I've just always taken a shine to it, with its dopey expression, cool unique typing, awesome habit of constricting prey in its venomous tentacles, sneaky little eyes peeking underneath... its battling flexibility with Recover, Swords Dance, Barrier/Amnesia/Stockpile, and more is a big boon. One thing led to another, and now all of PS recognizes its supremacy! I assume.

[2:51 PM] Tiksi: (any other qs? either way is fine)

[3:05 PM] nui: Ah I see, so out of all of that the only thing I'm taking away is that you are a Russian Operative colluding with the current administration... didn't know they even breached PS of all places... No but seriously that is actually pretty interesting how you manage to pick a name from small details from the games it's pretty awesome. Moving along, tiksi i always wanted to know, we all have some idea on what we think our colleagues are like on sim but what are some of the things about you that we don't know or otherwise would probably never know if we didn't know you in real life?! Can you juggle with one hand? Can you secretly speak to birds or know sign language? Are you a singer? What kind of person is tiksi in real life

[3:21 PM] Tiksi: Tiksi is the best kind! I'm a complete geography/history nerd; I could talk about World War alternate setups or scenarios for hours. When I first joined PS and was in Trivia most of the time, knowing all the world capitals was a plus! We talked about video games before, but I can fall for almost any type of game. I'm no expert at any sport but am solid at most things, and have played soccer, basketball, flag football, and Ultimate Frisbee recently and became a Tae Kwon Do black belt a few years back. Being almost 6'4'' does help a bit for basketball, I confess... With board games I know a bit about Chess and love a good game of Monopoly (as long as you trade to keep it interesting) or Stratego. I made up a new kind of Monopoly where you go around in a circle and use cards to move a bit back, but I seem to have misplaced it. I'm sure it'll show up at some point. Relevant to that, I always tend to keep my room in a sort of organized chaos, which could be to blame here.

[3:28 PM] Tiksi: A gifted singer I am not! It's just as well, though, since all my favorite music is either not in English (Russian, Finnish, Croatian, etc.) or video game music anyway, and I live in the US. One regret about where I was raised in the US, though, is the lack of cute versions of one of my favorite animals... spiders! I've never got why people are so frightened by them, with their adorable little eyes and legs. I myself have a bigger fear of spiders in Minecraft, of all things. I can be a bit vulnerable to being startled. Unlike most residents of my area, I don't need to start layering up when the temperature falls below 60 F, and have always liked the cold and the night to some extent. Call it selfish, but I still don't plan on moving anywhere I have to shovel snow more than half the year, though.

[3:35 PM] Tiksi: In person, I'll always follow where fun is. I'm quick to forgive and don't like drama (where's the fun in grudges?), but I tend to get bored of chatting and other such things unless the topic is interesting or has room for debate. It's a good thing I found a Pokemon simulator where the topic is almost always good for me! I tend to live life in the moment, planning where I have to for important things but willing to let the small stuff come whenever they're ready and enjoying doing things on the fly. If you couldn't guess, I'm no master of routine. I like to crack jokes and make the occasional prank of all sorts, from the inspiringly creative to the...not and from the hilarious to the...not. Either way, I amuse myself1 Overall I'm pretty chill and not demanding but not afraid of anyone either and not to be walked on. The best kind, just like I said!

[3:51 PM] nui: That's amazing I didn't know you were so tall!!! Me being super short (5'5) I was never good at basketball cause I always got blocked :(( I actually practice a martial art myself, i'm a purple belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu. Have you ever competed in a Tae kwon do tournament and did you win any trophies?! What are some of your favorite songs? give me some russian recommendations yo! I love the cold too, I really want to move to boston as florida is just too hot for me tho i'm not looking forward to shoveling snow for hours in the morning. i'm gonna try to forget that you said you love spiders. Final question because i've taken enough of your time already: Is there anything else you would like to say or want your fellow PS! staff members to know?

[4:05 PM] Tiksi: I have, with sparring being my best! And anything from the Red Army Choir is gold. For my last words, don't forget I'm a Pokemon god, since I beat X without the Exp. Share for our Pokemon Games room community playthrough!

[7:27 PM] nui: Thank you Tiksi it's been a pleasure :smiley:

This is the one year anniversary that the last round of staff interviews were posted, so to quote Tiksi (your fabulous host from the last iteration), "the calendar has come to the point where these can be early Christmas presents!" Hope you guys enjoyed, stay tuned for round two!​

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Objective Waifu Ranking (OWR):
1. Finland
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Cradily
4. Mother Russia
5. Spiders
6. All Else (presumably)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)