Implemented Swagger Should Be Banned from GSC NU. (Update: It’s Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Swagger has got to go. It's a surprisingly prominent piece of the metagame, having shown up in several tournament games both recently and even multiple years ago, and quite consistently it manages to completely take over games and drastically shift the favor of the battle in the direction of the Swagger user. It is wholly uncompetitive, with a 50% (45% considering move accuracy) chance to not only take the opposing Pokemon's turn away but force them to deal upwards of 20% damage to themselves, and confusion will often last for multiple turns too. The effect is compounded by the use of Substitute whenever Swagger does appear, taking further advantage of any free turns granted. The main offenders of Swagger's use are Dugtrio and Persian, but so many common and great Pokemon learn it that almost anything can use it, whether it be Fearow or Primeape or Magmar or Rapidash or Xatu or basically whatever you may desire. It doesn't even need an entire team built around facilitating the use and sweep of Swagger, because it can just be thrown over any relatively filler move on the Pokemon, mainly seen in the form of replacing Screech on Dugtrio with Swagger, though it absolutely does benefit from team support, example being MrSoup's Sub Swagger Psych Up Persian teams from his team dump.

Replays

Earthworm vs Estarossa, NUSD II
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nu-1491397712
Swagger Dugtrio is enough to severely damage multiple pokemon midgame while taking minimal damage itself and is almost enough to singlehandedly bring Earthworm back from a losing position late in the game, though he gets unlucky with a miss, low confusion turns, and few confusion hits.

Earthworm vs HSA, NUSD II
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2nu-600808
Swagger allows Dugtrio to significantly damage Xatu midgame and force Graveler in (which subsequently gets KOed), and later on, with an errant Rock Slide on turn 22, defeat Primeape and coast to an easy victory for Earthworm despite losing significant momentum with Persian dying on turn 1 for nothing.

MrSoup vs Avarice, NUSD III
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2nu-664239
Substitute + Swagger + Psych Up Persian allows MrSoup to come back from a severe deficit and easily reverse sweep through Avarice's remaining pokemon, 2 of which (Octillery and Stantler) were plenty healthy enough to be able to at least have a fighting chance at defeating Persian if not for it Swagger confusing Octillery, setting up Substitute freely, and using Psych Up to spam +2 boosted Double-Edges and clean.

Raahel vs MrSoup, GSC NU Open
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nu-1878562351-9c1xloxo1qx4qskslrswtsr77w1llwapw
Raahel's Persian was able to force through Chinchou and deal chip to MrSoup's Persian, however the sweep was prevented due to poor confusion length/proc RNG and MrSoup's knowledge of Psych Up on Swagger Persian, as Raahel was using one of MrSoup's very own teams from his team dump (listed prior).

Bee (me) vs Dawn, Friendly Matches
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nu-1835293435-cugqg44ggamiisonoobur7yin80qxbrpw
After sufficiently chipping Dawn's team with my other Pokemon, I was able to set up a Substitute with Dugtrio on the expected switch to Octillery and pulled off a successful Swagger with Dugtrio and chipped Octillery to the point of fainting without losing a single percent of HP despite it being an Ice Beam variant, then proceeded to Swagger down Xatu with the help of Sleep Talk rolling Hidden Power Electric and sweep from there.

The argument against Swagger's ban is that it is extremely inconsistent, with confusion rate being only 50% and Swagger itself even having a 10% miss rate. However, as seen in these replays, more often than not Swagger will put in serious work when used. There also really isn't any good reason to actually keep it in the tier, as it provides only downside from a competitive standpoint. This argument is just a reason as to why it might not be "truly banworthy," which I believe can be dismissed in favor of creating a better metagame. I and multiple others personally feel that Swagger compromises the integrity of the tier with its uncompetitiveness and often dominance that can so easily be placed onto basically any team, and would like to see tiering action on it.

I propose a list of qualified voters is gathered after the conclusion of GSC Slam to decide the fate of Swagger. In the meantime, let this thread act as a place of discussion around the status of this move.

Last edited:

MrSoup

my gf broke up with me again
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
I full support this and find it a relatively uncontroversial ban considering it’s uncompetitiveness and the precedent set forth by other gens/metas. The only thing that I can see being debated is this and parallels to similar move bans being debated in this forum thread as of recent. I’d like to double down that this is not a preemptive/precautionary ban on something with little active play in the tier; swagger is seriously a consideration in this meta and has actively taken high stakes tournament matches, both within the last year and the tier’s entire history.

ban swagger

Rarely play GSC NU, but I agree with this. Wouldn't agree if only a small number of Mons learned the move (like happens with Confuse Ray for example). This is learned by almost the whole Dex, so there is no point in preserving it, it does not boost viability of otherwise bad Mons (since everyone learns the move, it will be more often used by already good Mons) and adds nothing positive to this or any other Tier. It's also not the same situation as with Quick Claw (for example,other luck items can fall under the same criteria) , which will mainly be used by slow Mons and represent a big opportunity cost for fast ones. I like the luck element of the game and whenever possible try to preserve it, but Swagger is not something that is worth preserving at all.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
To preface I only actually consider Swagger a problematic element on Dugtrio and nothing else, but I think there is a strong arguement for a blanket ban on the move here for uncompetitiveness and general ability to RNG fish games in a decent enough fashion, things like Persian can obviously still work decently even with the opportunity cost of giving up a far more consistent set on it. Ive supported a ban on it ever the first NUSD that had GSC NU in it really despite some desire to nuke Dugtrio entirely at the time (which I no longer have anymore).

As a bit of a background on why it actually works very decently on Dugtrio for anyone reading it who doesn't play GSC NU specifically, Pokemon Dugtrio tends to be checked by in the tier are all RestTalkers as is traditional of a GSC tier in general, most commonly Octillery and Dewgong but also things like Xatu and Fearow typically can take on this role too if the bulky Water is not in good shape at the time. Dugtrio also happens to be the fastest Pokemon in the tier capable of scaring out Pokemon like Rapidash, Ninetales, Magnemite, and Chinchou while gaining Substitutes at the same time.

How this typically plays out in practice is that hidden behind a Substitute it can go for Screech defense drops while trying to fish for bad Sleep Talk rolls, this can be especially effective vs Hidden Power Electric Octillery since its only got a 33% chance to get a good one and even has a 33% chance to just reset its sleep counter. Around 2 years ago as Bee mentions during the replays we started to see people really heavily trying to adapt to this by using Ice Beam Octillery constantly since it improved the rng situation a lot better, but Swagger ended up seeing usage again to combat this, no matter what your Sleep Talk moves are and even no matter whether you are awake or not you can still fish for the Confusion drops while protected by a Substitute, making some of the endgames especially very nasty to play.

By no means is this the most consistent option, Screech is absolutely a more consistent option usually since Ice Beam Octillery is the only real thing that can hard prevent it 100%, seeing as Dewgong although being nearly a full counter has to beware for -2 Rock Slide flinches still, but Swagger has a lot of potential on the Dugtrio especially to just twist games around a lot.

In my particular replay that Bee mentions I actually had somewhat planned that team around Earthworm being very into Dugtrio that tour. A Boltbeam Porygon in particular was designed to act as a pseudo Dugtrio answer that didn't rely on Rest for recovery to make there less fishing available, in conjunction with a Xatu + Fearow combination that could back it up. Nonetheless Swagger Dugtrio could obviously get itself very close to winning just through some decent rng on its front, albeit not quite getting enough despite getting through the Xatu and pressuring Pory quite a bit as the confusion turns went in my favour at the end.

All in all Swagger is kinda silly on Dugtrio and quite uncompetitive with how much it takes the game out of players hands in favour of RNG. Dugtrio is an otherwise healthy element of the tier however and Swagger is just pure RNG fishing and has got the history of causing problematic situations on other Pokemon too, despite the opportunity costs of running it on other Pokemon such as Persian instead of its better sets like Lead Thief sets to the point that a ban on Swagger instead is very justified as its just an uncompetitive move in general.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Now that GSC Slam I has officially ended, I'd like to get a vote up.

Tagging relevant tier leaders Meri Berry Rabia

What would be a good set of qualifications for voting? Personally, I'm thinking at least 1 win in a team tour with GSC NU included as well as top 4 of GSC NU Cup and top 2 of GSC NU Open, but you lmk.
I have never played this tier :3

That said Swagger is dumbso I support any efforts to ban it from a meta

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
After several months of procrastination/laziness/busyness/forgetfulness, I, with the help of dawnbuster, gathered a list of qualified voters based on suggestions made by Estarossa. Made with approval from etern and Rabia. For the record, this would be in blind voting but GSC NU is unofficial, but this is still fine.

Requirements used:
- Played at least 3 games, won at least 1 game in the past two editions of NUSD (NUSD 3, NUSD 2)
- Played at least 3 games, won at least 1 game in the past two editions of GSCPL (GSCPL IV, GSCPL III)
- Made semifinals or higher from last two editions of GSC NU Cup (GSC NU Cup 2, GSC NU Cup 1)
- Made semifinals or higher from the last edition of GSC NU Open (GSC NU Open 1)
- Played at least 3 games, won 1 least 1 game in the last edition of ALTPL (ALTPL 1)

Voter list:
BeeOrSomething (GSC PL IV, ALTPL 1)
Estarossa (GSC PL IV, GSC PL III, NUSD 3, NUSD 2, GSC NU Cup 2, GSC NU Cup 1, ALTPL 1)
MrSoup (GSC PL IV, NUSD 3, GSC NU Open 1)
innovamania (GSC PL IV)
Real FV13 (GSC PL IV, GSC NU Open 1)
Medeia (GSC PL IV, GSC NU Cup 2)
Oathkeeper (GSC PL IV, GSC PL III)
romanji (GSC PL IV)
lax (GSC PL III)
Monai (GSC PL III, ALTPL 1)
Lazuli (GSC PL III)
Sabelette (GSC PL III)
gorex (GSC PL III)
vani (NUSD 3, NUSD 2)
MTB (NUSD 3)
avarice (NUSD 3)
Felines (NUSD 3)
HSA (NUSD 3, NUSD 2)
ziloXX (NUSD 3)
DiannieRatson (NUSD 3, GSC NU Cup 1)
Mr.378 (NUSD 3)
dawnbuster (NUSD 2)
Earthworm (NUSD 2)
Lunala (NUSD 2)
Siatam (NUSD 2)
d0nut (NUSD 2)
SOMALIA (NUSD 2)
Bughouse (GSC NU Cup 2)
DugZa (GSC NU Cup 2)
neomon (GSC NU Cup 1)
giove97 (GSC NU Cup 1)
ArcticBreeze (GSC NU Cup 1)
zben (GSC NU Cup 1)
juoean (GSC NU Open 1)
Raahel (GSC NU Open 1)
giraffefromholland (ALTPL 1)
chub (ALTPL 1)

I will be sending out a group pm to everyone on this list for their vote. Since this is a pm and not blind voting, I will increase the deadline by a couple days, now being Friday, December 8th, 11:59 PM GMT-5. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)