Doubles Tapu Lele [DONE]

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Lele is an asset to teams with its Psychic Terrain providing a large boost to Psychic-type moves, blocking Fake Out and other priority, and removing other Terrains, which means it puts strong offensive pressure on opposing teams. Tapu Lele works best on Psychic-type spam and semi-Trick Room structures alongside teammates such as Necrozma that appreciate Psychic Terrain vastly boosting Expanding Force. Amoonguss is also a solid partner due to Tapu Lele removing opposing Misty Terrain, which blocks its Spore. However, Tapu Lele is held back by its middling Speed tier, which, while high enough to outspeed threats such as Choice Band Zygarde, is still vulnerable to attackers such as Urshifu-R and Dragapult. It is also generally quite weak due to the prevalence of opposing Terrain control as well as the the lack of a boosting item and significant Special Attack investment. Furthermore, its inability to break through Steel-type Pokemon such as Heatran, Genesect, and Metagross means it needs offensive support from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R and Zygarde. Tapu Lele also faces competition from Indeedee-F as a Psychic Terrain setter, which has less offensive prowess but provides much more in terms of support to teams.

[SET]
name: Bulky Taunt
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry / Eject Button
ability: Psychic Surge
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 64 SpA / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Psychic is Tapu Lele’s main STAB option, giving it a strong attack boosted by Psychic Terrain to threaten the likes of Urshifu-R and Amoonguss. Psyshock can be run to deal with Calm Mind Tapu Fini better but at the cost of some Base Power.

* Moonblast which hits Pokemon such as Zygarde and Kyurem-B harder and helps deal with foes Psychic can't hit neutrally like Incineroar. In conjunction with Psychic, it gives Tapu Lele the ability to hit every type at least neutrally besides Steel.

* Taunt shuts down Trick Room setters such as Diancie and Porygon2 and stops redirection from Pokemon such as Blastoise. Furthermore, it also allows Tapu Lele to stop Pokemon such as Calm Mind Tapu Fini from setting up on it. Tapu Lele can also use Taunt on Tailwind setters such as Mew and Zapdos, but this is difficult, as they generally outspeed it.

* Protect keeps Tapu Lele safe while its partner uses speed control, and it also allows Tapu Lele to scout moves.

* The given EV spread allows Tapu Lele to outspeed Choice Band Zygarde and avoid the 2HKO from Thousand Arrows with a Sitrus Berry.

* A Sitrus Berry is used to increase Tapu Lele’s longevity during matches, letting it last long enough to provide Terrain support. An Eject Button can also be used to preserve it while also maintaining momentum, allowing it to bring in its teammates with ease. If running Eject Button, Tapu Lele should shift its Defense EVs to Special Attack.

* Tapu Lele can take on a more offensive role with Pixie Plate, using a spread of 212 HP / 144 SpA / 152 Spe and a Timid nature to OHKO Zygarde. However, this makes Tapu Lele less effective at pivoting in and out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tapu Lele can run a Choice Scarf or a Choice Specs set with a fully offensive EV spread, but this comes at the cost of being locked into one move, losing Taunt, and being much less effective at maintaining Psychic Terrain. Life Orb is also an option to boost Tapu Lele’s power while still maintaining its utility and ability to switch moves. However, it cuts into Tapu Lele’s bulk drastically and therefore makes it worse at doing its job as a pivot, leaving it generally much worse than Pixie Plate.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[adem, 529732]]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [Yoda2798, 243662]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
  • Tapu Lele is not used exclusively on Psychic Spam Hyper Offense teams -- in the past it saw success on Semiroom teams with Amoonguss. I would rework the first sentence to focus more on the benefits of Psychic Terrain -- removes other Terrains / powers up teammates / blocks priority.
  • I would then get into structures it's used on (Psychic Spam, Semiroom) and the main partners who benefit from Psychic Terrain (Necrozma, Amoonguss).
  • I would mention how honestly Tapu Lele is pretty weak, especially with how common opposing Terrain control is and lack of boosting item / significant Special Attack investment.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • I would say Psychic hits Fighting and Poison-types (Urshifu-R, Amoonguss, Nihilego) since Urshifu-R is really good while Nihilego kinda sucks. I would also remove the bit about hitting neutral targets, and instead mention how you can run Psyshock to be better prepared for Calm Mind Tapu Fini at the cost of some base power.
  • The second line should talk about Moonblast, not Dazzling Gleam. Since you mention Dragon-types first, Kyurem-B and Zygarde should come before Incineroar. I would also say how, in conjunction with Psychic, Tapu Lele can hit every type for at least neutral damage besides Steel.
  • The unfortunate thing with Tapu Lele is that it's outrun by Mew and Zapdos (and formally Kartana) so it doesn't actually get to Taunt any Tailwind setters. Honestly I would remove the Tailwind setters, mention Redirection instead (Amoonguss / Blastoise), and then at the end say how Tapu Lele can also Taunt Tailwind setters, but it needs to be on the switch or you must already have the speed advantage.
  • I would remove Necrozma as a Taunt target (from Trick Room setters) and replace Volcarona (generally irrelevant) and Genesect (which just kills you) with Calm Mind Tapu Fini.
  • I would remove "consistently pressure the opponent" in the Sitrus Berry line and just stick to providing Terrain support.
  • Note if running Eject Button, you should be running the alternative spread.
  • Let's relax on the alternative spread "vastly" increasing Tapu Lele's damage output. Just mention how it trades some bulk for power and matches what item it's running (Sitrus Berry w bulkier spread, Pixie Plate w. more offensive spread).
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • I would say how Tapu Lele can run Choice Scarf or Choice Specs with a fully offensive spread to improve its Speed or Power respectively, but it comes at the cost of being locked into one move, losing Taunt, and being less effective at keeping up Psychic Terrain.
Let me know when you implement and I will check again before stamping.

[OVERVIEW]
  • "Fantastic asset" is a bit too strong for something as good as Tapu Lele so let's tone it down a bit.
  • I would specifically note Expanding Force as a move that gets powered up since it's really the only move that Psychic Terrain focuses on boosting.
  • Amoonguss does not benefit offensively from Psychic Terrain. I would reword that part to something how Necrozma benefits from the power boost, Amoonguss appreciates Misty Terrain being removed, and both like priority (Fake Out) being blocked.
  • Honestly I would remove the part about Tapu Lele needing speed control (every Pokemon appreciates speed control but Tapu Lele is not something that relays on it since its used more as a pivot and not a strong attacker) and instead say its low speed tier leaves it vulnerable to attackers like Urshifu-R and Dragapult. Then talk about it being weak in a new sentence.
  • Make sure it's Urshifu-R in the second to last line.
[SET]
  • Mention Mew and Zapdos as the Tailwind setters Tapu Lele can Taunt if it hits them on the switch or already has the speed advantage.
  • Instead of mentioning the alternative spread in the items line, I would just say if running Eject Button, Tapu Lele should shift its Defensive EVs to HP.
  • I would make the last line something more like "Tapu Lele can take on a more offensive role with Pixie Plate which runs a spread of 212 HP / 144 Spa / 152 Spe and a Timid Nature to allow it to OHKO Zygarde. However, this makes Tapu Lele less effective at pivoting in and out." Also remove the Eject Button mention in that line.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • I would add Life Orb as another sentence -- while you can still run Taunt, it cuts into Tapu Lele's bulk drastically and therefore makes it worse at doing its job as a pivot.

QC 1/2

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
[OVERVIEW]
  • I wouldn't say Tapu Lele has "great wallbreaking capabilities" it fills the role of utility more than a pure attacker.
  • Specify Misty Terrain being removed for Amoonguss.
  • Having the "as well blocking them from Priority such as Fake Out." point tacked onto Amoonguss is odd since it doesn't particularly benefit from that, blocking priority is a more generally useful thing for teammates, so it should be phrased as such.
  • When comparing it to Indeedee, specify it's as a Psychic Terrain setter.
[SET]
  • The way you specify hitting specific types doesn't really make sense here since that's not why the moves are used, they're run primarily because they're STAB, hitting specific types is more of a thing for coverage moves. You can still mention targets they hit, but those are examples of what it can hit rather than why the move is used as you make it sound.
  • For Psychic, mentioning Naganadel is weird since that can outspeed and KO Lele, Nihilego also lives Psychic so it doesn't make much sense to mention either, I'd remove those two, having Urshifu and Amoonguss is enough.
  • For Moonblast, I'd frame it more as "... which hits Pokemon such as Zygarde and Kyurem-B harder, and helps deal with Psychic resists like Incineroar." The part about hitting everything but Steel-types is fine.
  • For Taunt, Amoonguss is a weird mention as a target since you'd want to Psychic it most of the time, so I'd remove it. I wouldn't say "prevent ... from redirecting its attacks" since the utility isn't just for Tapu Lele but also its partner (and since Lele isn't really an attacker it would often be for the benefit of a partner). I'd change it to something like "and stops redirection Pokemon such as Blastoise."
  • It's also not quite right to say Taunt stops Tapu Fini "from freely setting up on it", since terrain-boosted Psychic chunks it.
  • Change "but it has to be on the switch or if it already has the speed advantage." to "but this is difficult as they generally outspeed Tapu Lele."
  • For the Protect line, Lele using Protect doesn't mean the partner is safe, the thing to say there is it keeps Tapu Lele safe while its partner uses speed control (the scouting moves part is also fine).
  • The current order of the item and EV spread points reads weird since the Sitrus benchmark is mentioned after the alternate item and adjusting the spread, so I would change the order of the two.
  • For Eject Button, the EVs should be shifted to Special Attack, not HP.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • For Life Orb, specifically mention it being worse than Pixie Plate.
Tag once implemented so I can check over before stamping.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
AM GP Check
add remove comments
(AC)
- add comma
(RC) - remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Lele is a an asset to teams with its ability in Psychic Surge providing a large boost to Psychic-type moves, blocking opposing Fake Out, (AC) while removing other Terrains, and putting strong offensive pressure on opposing teams. Tapu Lele works best on Psychic Spam and Semiroom semi-Trick Room structures alongside teammates such as Necrozma who appreciate Tapu Lele vastly boosting its Expanding Force. Amoonguss is also a solid partner due to Tapu Lele removing opposing Misty Terrain that may block its Spore. Psychic Surge blocking priority such as Fake Out is also extremely useful for its teammates. However, Tapu Lele is held back by its middling speed Speed tier which, while high enough to outspeed threats such as Choice Band Zygarde, is still vulnerable to attackers such as Urshifu-R and Dragapult. It is also generally quite weak due to the prevelance prevalence of opposing Terrain control as well as the the lack of a boosting item and significant Special Attack investment. Furthermore, its inability to break Steel-type Pokemon such as Heatran, Genesect, (AC) and Metagross means it needs offensive support from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R and Zygarde to break through these Pokemon (You should already know from reading the earlier part of this sentence what the support is for). Tapu Lele also faces competition from its counterpart in Indeedee-F as a Psychic Terrain setter, which although has a reduced less offensive prowess (RC) but provides much more in terms of support to teams.

[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 64 Spa SpA / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Psychic is Tapu Lele’s main STAB option, giving it a strong attack boosted by Psychic Terrain to threaten the likes of Urshifu-RS Urshifu-R and Amoonguss. Psyshock can be run to deal with Calm Mind Tapu Fini better but at the cost of some base power.

* Moonblast is Tapu Lele’s secondary STAB move which hits Pokemon such as Zygarde and Kyurem-B harder, and helps deal with Psychic-type resists like Incineroar. In conjunction with Psychic, it gives Tapu Lele the ability to hit every type at least neutrally besides Steel-types.

* Taunt lets Tapu Lele shut down Trick Room setters such as such as Diancie and Porygon2, as well as prevent Pokemon such as such as what? and stops redirection Pokemon such as Blastoise. Furthermore, it also allows Tapu Lele the ability to stop Pokemon such as Calm Mind Tapu Fini from setting up on it. Tapu Lele can also Taunt Tailwind setters such as Mew and Zapdos, but this is difficult as they generally outspeed Tapu Lele.

* Protect keeps Tapu Lele safe while its partner uses speed control such (is there meant to be some example here?), and also allows Tapu Lele to scout moves.

* The given EV spread allows Tapu Lele to outspeed Choice Band Zygarde as well as avoid the 2HKO from Thousand Arrows with a Sitrus Berry.

* A Sitrus Berry is used to increase Tapu Lele’s longevity during matches, allowing it to live long enough to provide Terrain support. An Eject Button can also be used to preserve Tapu Lele while also maintaining momentum during a match, allowing it to bring in its teammates with ease. If running Eject Button, Tapu Lele should shift its Defensive Defense or is it both HP and Defense? If so, you should say, because this seems unclear EVs to Special Attack.

* Tapu Lele can take on a more offensive role with Pixie Plate, (AC) which runs a using a spread of 212 HP / 144 Spa SpA / 152 Spe and a Timid Nature nature to allow it to OHKO Zygarde. However, this makes Tapu Lele less effective at pivoting in and out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tapu Lele can run both a Choice Scarf or a Choice Specs set with a fully offensive EV spread to improve its Speed or Power power, (AC) respectively, but it comes at the cost of being locked into one move, losing Taunt, and being much less effective at maintaining Psychic Terrain. Life Orb is also another option to boost Tapu Lele’s power while still maintaining its utility and ability to switch moves. However, it cuts into Tapu Lele’s bulk drastically and therefore makes it worse at doing its job as a pivot and is generally much worse than Pixie Plate.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [username2, userid2] [Yoda2798, 243662]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
blue = add
red = delete
green = comments

[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Lele is an asset to teams with its ability in Psychic Surge providing a large boost to Psychic-type moves, blocking opposing Fake Out priority moves, removing other Terrains, and putting strong offensive pressure on opposing teams. Tapu Lele works best on Psychic Spam Psyspam (this isn’t a necessary change, but if you want to you can) and semi-Trick Room structures alongside teammates such as Necrozma who appreciate Tapu Lele vastly boosting its Expanding Force. Amoonguss is also a solid partner due to Tapu Lele removing opposing Misty Terrain that may blocks its Spore. Psychic Surge blocking priority such as Fake Out is also extremely useful for its teammates. However, Tapu Lele is held back by its middling Speed tier which, while high enough to outspeed threats such as Choice Band Zygarde, is still vulnerable to attackers such as Urshifu-R and Dragapult. It is also generally quite weak due to the prevalence of opposing Terrain control as well as the the lack of a boosting item and significant Special Attack investment. Furthermore, its inability to break Steel-type Pokemon such as Heatran, Genesect, and Metagross means it needs offensive support from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R and Zygarde. Tapu Lele also faces competition from Indeedee-F as a Psychic Terrain setter, which has less offensive prowess, but provides much more in terms of support to teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Psychic is Tapu Lele’s main STAB option, giving it a strong attack boosted by Psychic Terrain to threaten the likes of Urshifu-R and Amoonguss. Psyshock can be run to deal with Calm Mind Tapu Fini better but at the cost of some base power.

* Moonblast is Tapu Lele’s secondary STAB move which hits Pokemon such as Zygarde and Kyurem-B harder, and helps deal with Psychic-type resists like Incineroar. In conjunction with Psychic, it gives Tapu Lele the ability to hit every type at least neutrally besides Steel-types.

* Taunt lets Tapu Lele shut down Trick Room setters such as such as Diancie and Porygon2 and stops redirection from Pokemon such as Blastoise. Furthermore, it also allows Tapu Lele the ability to stop Pokemon such as Calm Mind Tapu Fini from setting up on it. Tapu Lele can also Taunt Tailwind setters such as Mew and Zapdos, but this is difficult as they generally outspeed Tapu Lele.

* Protect keeps Tapu Lele safe while its partner uses speed control, and also allows Tapu Lele to scout moves.

* The given EV spread allows Tapu Lele to outspeed Choice Band Zygarde as well as avoid the 2HKO from Thousand Arrows with a Sitrus Berry.

* A Sitrus Berry is used to increase Tapu Lele’s longevity during matches, allowing it to live long enough to provide Terrain support. An Eject Button can also be used to preserve Tapu Lele while also maintaining momentum during a match, allowing it to bring in its teammates with ease. If running Eject Button, Tapu Lele should shift its Defense EVs to Special Attack.

* Tapu Lele can take on a more offensive role with Pixie Plate, using a spread of 212 HP / 144 SpA / 152 Spe and a Timid nature to allow it to OHKO Zygarde. However, this makes Tapu Lele less effective at pivoting in and out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tapu Lele can run a Choice Scarf or a Choice Specs set with a fully offensive EV spread to improve its Speed or power, respectively, but it comes at the cost of being locked into one move, losing Taunt, and being much less effective at maintaining Psychic Terrain. Life Orb is also another option to boost Tapu Lele’s power while still maintaining its utility and ability to switch moves. However, it cuts into Tapu Lele’s bulk drastically and therefore makes it worse at doing its job as a pivot and generally much worse than Pixie Plate.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
good job! :blobthumbsup:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Lele is an asset to teams with its ability in Psychic Surge Psychic Terrain providing a large boost to Psychic-type moves, blocking opposing Fake Out and other priority, and removing other Terrains, and putting which means it puts (I imagine? if i misunderstand, could you elaborate on the "strong offensive pressure") strong offensive pressure on opposing teams. Tapu Lele works best on Psychic-type spam and semi-Trick Room structures alongside teammates such as Necrozma who that appreciate Tapu Lele Psychic Terrain vastly boosting its Expanding Force. Amoonguss is also a solid partner due to Tapu Lele removing opposing Misty Terrain that Terrain, which blocks its Spore. Psychic Surge blocking priority such as Fake Out is also extremely useful for its teammates. However, Tapu Lele is held back by its middling Speed tier, (AC) which, while high enough to outspeed threats such as Choice Band Zygarde, is still vulnerable to attackers such as Urshifu-R and Dragapult. It is also generally quite weak due to the prevalence of opposing Terrain control as well as the the lack of a boosting item and significant Special Attack investment. Furthermore, its inability to break through Steel-type Pokemon such as Heatran, Genesect, and Metagross means it needs offensive support from Pokemon such as Urshifu-R and Zygarde. Tapu Lele also faces competition from Indeedee-F as a Psychic Terrain setter, which has less offensive prowess (RC) but provides much more in terms of support to teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Psychic is Tapu Lele’s main STAB option, giving it a strong attack boosted by Psychic Terrain to threaten the likes of Urshifu-R and Amoonguss. Psyshock can be run to deal with Calm Mind Tapu Fini better but at the cost of some Base Power.

* Moonblast is Tapu Lele’s secondary STAB move which hits Pokemon such as Zygarde and Kyurem-B harder (RC) and helps deal with Psychic-type resists foes Psychic can't hit neutrally like Incineroar. In conjunction with Psychic, it gives Tapu Lele the ability to hit every type at least neutrally besides Steel-types.

* Taunt lets Tapu Lele shut shuts down Trick Room setters such as Diancie and Porygon2 and stops redirection from Pokemon such as Blastoise. Furthermore, it also allows Tapu Lele the ability to stop Pokemon such as Calm Mind Tapu Fini from setting up on it. Tapu Lele can also use Taunt on Tailwind setters such as Mew and Zapdos, but this is difficult, (AC) as they generally outspeed Tapu Lele. it.

* Protect keeps Tapu Lele safe while its partner uses speed control, and it also allows Tapu Lele to scout moves.

* The given EV spread allows Tapu Lele to outspeed Choice Band Zygarde as well as and avoid the 2HKO from Thousand Arrows with a Sitrus Berry.

* A Sitrus Berry is used to increase Tapu Lele’s longevity during matches, allowing it to live letting it last long enough to provide Terrain support. An Eject Button can also be used to preserve Tapu Lele it while also maintaining momentum during a match, allowing it to bring in its teammates with ease. If running Eject Button, Tapu Lele should shift its Defense EVs to Special Attack.

* Tapu Lele can take on a more offensive role with Pixie Plate, using a spread of 212 HP / 144 SpA / 152 Spe and a Timid nature to allow it to OHKO Zygarde. However, this makes Tapu Lele less effective at pivoting in and out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tapu Lele can run a Choice Scarf or a Choice Specs set with a fully offensive EV spread to improve its Speed or power, respectively, but it spread, but this comes at the cost of being locked into one move, losing Taunt, and being much less effective at maintaining Psychic Terrain. Life Orb is also another option to boost Tapu Lele’s power while still maintaining its utility and ability to switch moves. However, it cuts into Tapu Lele’s bulk drastically and therefore makes it worse at doing its job as a pivot, (AC) and leaving it generally much worse than Pixie Plate.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

adeleine.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)