SS OU team improvent needed

Sooooo you've probably heard of this story before, i'm new to competitive pokemon and i'm having low levels of success with this team and am wondering what needs to be improved,(bear in mind this is the first thread i have maid so sorry if it isn't "easy on the eyes"):

Gastrodon-East (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 148 HP / 156 Def / 48 SpA / 156 SpD
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Rock Slide
- Curse

- storm drain will help against any water type counters to my excadrill or Tyranitar
-curse is a set up move that helps with bulk but also boost my...
- STAB waterfall hopefully deals a decent amount of damage
-Rock slide is a coverage move against fire types that also counter my excadrill and tyranitar well also

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 112 HP / 244 Def / 152 SpD
Modest Nature
- Electroweb
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

prob. my worst built pokemon on my team but anyways...
- electro web for speed control
- defog in case there are any hazards
- thunderbolt is the main damage out put for the pokemon but voltswitch makes it also a pivot if need be

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 124 HP / 184 Def / 12 SpA / 188 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Giga Drain
- Spore

- Amoongus a wall that can support my other Mons
- spore is to cripple other teams main offence
-pollen puff and rage powder obviously help sets-up others
- Giga drain is so it can have a attacking move but also a way to heal itself if the black sludge isn't enough

Excadrill @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 Atk / 148 Def / 100 SpD / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sandstorm
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Blast

-The excadrill's sand force will pair well w/ its sandstorm and tyranitars' sand stream.
- to explain ev's: I wanted him to be bulky, to survive a hit so it can utilize weakness policy, a sweeper, and a little speedy
- high horsepower and iron head for STAB and rock blast as a coverage move

Volcanion @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 16 HP / 164 Def / 164 SpA / 164 SpD
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Stone Edge

-Volcanion's mainly to deal w/ teams that have counters to my tyranitar and excadrill b/c i have trouble dealing with fire and ground types
-steam eruption has high base power + STAB same w/ flamethrower but better accuracy
-sludge wave and stone edge are covrage moves

Tyranitar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 92 Atk / 156 Def / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stomping Tantrum

- decent synergy with excadrill
- dragon dace is a setup move
-crunch and stomping tantrum are STAB

Last edited by a moderator:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Why did you choose this mon
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it
What are all 4 moves for

sounds like a doubles team if anything as u have stuff such as rage powder. These changes focus on actually making it a team

-volcanion should be choice specs as this helps it hit as hard as possible and wear down many pokemon for sand rush exca to clean late game and to abuse slow sp. def lando to be able to double on it and force progress

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

- Thundy-i should be offensive zapdos as thundy-i is unviable and zapdos fits on this sand team to abuse the free turns it gets out of corviknight

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Exca should be sand rush and its set should be changed to sand rush as this allows it to be a pseudo speed control that can allow it to sweep especially with the support of zapdos and volcanion

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar should be choice banded as this allows it to hit as hard as possible and its still a good sand setter for exca as it can dent many pokemon such as corv, zapdos, etc which allow it to wear down.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

- Amoonguss should be ferrothorh as it does not fit here... and provides a steel type for the team which is pretty crucial in thwarting lele

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

- Gastrodon should be landorus-t as it provides a sp. def fogger for volcanion and in general and landorus fits much better on sand teams unlike gastrodon

name: Defensive Pivot
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
ivs: 23 Spe

Gastrodon doesn't need rock slide to beat fire types when it has a water type move already. I'd suggest swapping Waterfall for something lile Hydro Pump or Scald because Gastrodon is more of a special attacker. I'd suggest giving it Toxic, keeping Recover, Hydro Pump/Scald and a move of your choice. Then give it Leftovers as its item. But you could try replacing it with Milotic since it can be a tank or sweeper depending on what you give it and what your team needs. Also a big thing I haven't seen anyone mention is how you spread your EV's. You have enough EV points to max out 2 stats and people usually go for 2 maxed out stats and the rest of the stats are unchanged. It's usually not worth it to spread your EV's over all your stats because it's better to have your pokemon specialize in something and not be a Jack of all trades. I'd say give Gastrodon max def and sp. def or swap one of those for max HP. Next up is Thunderus, it seems like you tried making it a support mon that does damage but Thunderus is more of a sweeper. You could give it a Life Orb as its item and have Nasty Plot as one of its moves along with Thunderbolt, Grass Knot and Volt Switch. It should be max speed and attack. You could swap one of its moves for a flying move to take care of grass types who threaten Gastrodon. If you want speed control Sticky Web is a much better alternative to Electroweb because ground types aren't immune to it and any enemy pokemon that switches in after Sticky Web has been used will get its speed lowered. I'd say Galvantula is a great Sticky Web user but you'd have to replace Thunderus with it since they're both electric special attackers who are fast. Amoongus is a strange one since Rage Powder only has use in double battles and its current move set doesn't really make it reach its full potential. I'd suggest swapping it out with Ferrothorn who has a great typing and access to entry hazards which are very useful. A good set would be Leech seed, Spikes, Stealth rock and Body Press. Combine this with its ability Iron Barbs and make it hold a Rocky Helmet with maxed out defense stats and you have an actual wall right there. Plus as a steel type it's immune to sandstorm damage, Gastrodon is too because it's a ground type. Rock types are also immune to it and have increased special defense during sandstorm while ground and steel are just immune to it. Moving on to Excadrill. Replace its ability with Sand Rush instead of Sand Force. That ability doubles its speed while sandstorm is active so you won't have to worry about being outsped most of the time. I'd suggest swapping the Weakness Policy for something like a Focus Sash since despite having good HP its defense stats are low. Give it Earthquake, Iron Head, Swords Dance and Rock Slide with max attack and speed EV's. Volcanion's move set is actually good just replace Stone Edge with Earth Power and give it a choice specs or choice scarf. It's good for covering weaknesses.
I think you should replace Tyranitar with Hippowdon. It has the same ability but it's much bulkier and isn't 4x weak to fighting and your team doesn't have psychic, flying or fairy coverage unless you swap out some more pokemon. I'd recommend having it use Curse, Slack off maybe Toxic but the rest is up to you. Max defense EV's (or HP) and give it Leftovers. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)