ORAS UU The Bird is the Word (peaked #1)

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The Bird is The Word

Hello everyone! Darkerones here to showcase a pretty amazing ladder team that I topped with for Week 4 of the Underused Ladder tournament, I'm still not a guaranteed victor of course but I'm in a very decent spot for the rest of the week. I think this team really showcases how effective Mega Pidgeot can be in UU with a little bit of support despite Mega Aerodactyl being everywhere at the moment, as well as Doublade's rising viability in the tier after UU re-gained access to powerhouses like Salamence and Heracross.
Now, initially I did not plan to RMT this because it is actually a variaton of a team Christo The Gr8 posted on this same forum and used against me to deliver my only loss in SPL Farm League, however, I figured since the team was so successful, carrying me from mid-1500 Elo all the way to the top, that it was worth giving my own insight on how my version of the team works.
Proof of ladder peak:

In Depth:

Savage (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Nidoqueen is typically my preferred lead to set up Stealth Rocks and immediately start breaking things, even with no investment Nidoqueen has fair natural bulk and by running max Speed I am almost sure to outspeed and OHKO any opposing Nidoqueen as well as most variants of Mega Blastoise. Nidoqueen is one of my two Fairy checks on this team, being able to switch into Moonblast fairly comfortably then threaten Pokemon like Florges with a Sludge Wave stronger than Timid Nidoking's.
Nidoqueen is a significant threat to slower, bulkier teams since it 2HKOes most of the tier with it's power and coverage and is almost impossible to Defog or Rapid Spin on. It's also a soft check to most Fighting types. Savage as the name implies.

Fletcher (Heracross) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This is one of the main changes I made to Christo's original team, since his team was made before Heracross dropped back down and he had Machamp in this slot instead. But after the drop I figured Heracross would be a natural fit on this team as my wallbreaker, status absorber, Blissey/Umbreon counter, and soft check to bulky water types like Suicune. The EV's and Nature are pretty self explanatory, making Heracross as fast and as strong as possible creeps Adamant Honchkrow while hitting as hard as possible (credit to King UU for this change), the rest goes into bulk. Stone Edge is an excellent move to KO incoming Crobat and Salamence while Knock Off is a "safe" spammable option and also hits Doublade and Chandelure. I didn't feel the need for Earthquake simply because I have plenty for opposing Nidoqueen and Nidoking.

Christo (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

The Mega of my team, Pidgeot tears apart offensive teams with it's incredible speed and power, and also makes an effective Defog user due to how many switches it forces. A Timid nature was chosen over Modest to outspeed huge threats to my team such as Azelf, normal Sceptile, other Mega Pidgeot and Alakazam, and the power of Modest isn't usually worth losing to those Pokemon as well as being able to preserve the crisp 101 Speed tier when not Mega, meaning I can outspeed Hydreigon, Shaymin, and Salamence as I go Mega.
Roost is chosen for longevity especially if I have to switch into Stealth Rocks, and keeps me around longer if I have to rely on confusion hax against bulkier but weaker threats, such as Umbreon, Cresselia, and Tentacruel. Hax bird is stronk.

Drop a Draco (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Superpower

Another wallbreaker and stallkiller that can lure in and KO nasty special walls like Umbreon, Empoleon, and Blissey that Pidgeot doesn't like to deal with (and like anyone would actually stay in on Heracross), and against offense it basically gets a kill every time it comes in due to how devastatingly powerful Draco Meteor is. A +Speed nature is pretty much mandatory in the current metagame to outspeed Adamant Entei and Jolly Heracross. Dark Pulse is my consistent STAB move that threatens bulky Psychic and Ghost types like Cresselia, Chandelure, Doublade, and Slowking, and can also chip away at physical tanks like Donphan and Swampert for the rest of the team to take advantage of. Roost offsets Life Orb recoil and hazard damage to keep Hydreigon alive longer as its often my MVP against stall and it gets all the coverage it needs with three moves anyway. A -Def nature is chosen for this team to give Hydreigon an easier time checking bulky water types and Heliolisk, a massive threat to this team.

Darius (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 236 Atk / 32 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
- Swords Dance

Doublade makes an excellent core with Hydreigon and is my universal switch in to a variety of physical threats including but not limited to: Mienshao, Aerodactyl, Salamence, CROBAT, Heracross, Haxorus, Lucario, Beedrill, and Snorlax, as well as being an additional check to Fairy types.
240 HP EVs hits a burn and Stealth Rock number while the 32 Def EVs enable me to always survive +2 Adamant Life Orb Earthquake from Lucario after Stealth Rock damage and retaliate with Sacred Sword, because otherwise a boosted Lucario just sweeps my team, the rest of the EVs go into Attack. An SD set allows Doublade to apply pressure and can become a legitimate late game threat once it's checks have been eliminated and weakened. Gyro Ball with minimum Speed is ideal to OHKO almost all Crobat after SR if they try to Defog, Gyro + Sneak also KOes offensive versions of Salamence.
Sacred Sword allows me to beat Lucario, Snorlax, and Mega Sharpedo (another massive threat) if I'm fairly healthy, and can also catch Empoleon switching in for decent damage. Shadow Sneak on this thing is also my only form of priority on this team.

jamaka (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass

The glue of my team and my replacement for Jirachi on Christo's team, Vaporeon is my main switch in to special attacking threats such as Alakazam, Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, and opposing Nidoqueen/king while also being able to check some physical threats like Entei and Darmanitan. Scald is arguably the most spammable move in the game so it's the most optimal STAB option, and coincidentally Vaporeon can also switch in on Scalds due to it's ability. Several members of my team, particularly Nidoqueen, Heracross, and Doublade, really appreciate Wish support so they can consistently check what they need to, and overall it makes my team that much harder to wear down.
The EVs are taken straight off of the strategy Dex and I've had no problems with it so far, it gives Vaporeon very good mixed bulk allowing it to Wish Pass on a lot of the meta , King UU has provided a slightly more efficient spread for me.
I tried several moves in the last slot, including Ice Beam, Roar, Haze, Heal Bell, and even Fake Tears! But I settled on Baton Pass to ease Wish passing into teammates that have been significantly weakened, and because CroCune is starting to wane in usage on the higher end of the ladder in favor of sets that include Ice Beam or Roar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Threat List:

Heliolisk - this thing has been gaining popularity and it honestly sucks to deal with, I really don't have a switch in. Pidgeot can do huge damage with Heat Wave, Hydreigon can win 1v1 if they lack Focus Blast and they often will stay in on Doublade thinking I lack Sacred Sword. That's about it though.

Alakazam - especially if carrying Energy Ball, can revenge kill the majority of my team and can be a bitch to KO back due to Magic Guard + Focus Sash

Mega Sharpedo - I have to hope for Scald burns or that Doublade and Heracross are healthy otherwise this can sweep me.

Lucario - Again, Doublade is pretty much the only roadblock this Pokemon faces before it can sweep me

Mega Absol - A really underrated mon, it just tears me apart if it gets to +2, fortunatley though it's very hard to set up vs my team with this.

Suicune - CroCune is a huge problem if I'm not carrying Haze on Vaporeon. Have to hope for Sleep Talk rolls with Heracross or just not let it set up, usually the latter.

Salamence - Life Orbed DD versions with Fire Blast do huge damage to Doublade so yeah this thing is pretty scary. Scarfed Moxie Mence is also an issue if Doublade goes down.

Umbreon - fat piece of shit. nuff said.

Entei - very annoying and bulky but not as big of a threat as the others.

Porygon-Z - same boat as Entei, annoying but not as threatening as the rest of the list

Me hitting #1 (aka shameless plugin):

Replays:

vs kokoloko whats wrong? fren?
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-211654056

vs Hogg (?) example of performance vs stall
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-209846276

Doublade.....calm down (performance vs offense)
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-209725316

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Four very basic changes:

1) Band Hera with speed is nice, but the most ideal set only speedcreeps Honchkrow. The Ev spread is 112HP / 252 Atk / 144 Speed with an Adamant Nature. This'll also help secure a potential 2HKO against Suicune after Rocks.

2) Hydrei doesn't need attack investment for the LO set. 4 Atk, 252 SpA, 252 Speed is ideal.

3) 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 SpD, calm nature on Vaporeon.

4) 40Hp, 252 SpA, 216speed hits the appropriate speed benchmarks while retaining a teeny bit of extra bulk to avoid the Scarf Hydreigon Draco KO.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Four very basic changes:

1) Band Hera with speed is nice, but the most ideal set only speedcreeps Honchkrow. The Ev spread is 112HP / 252 Atk / 144 Speed with an Adamant Nature. This'll also help secure a potential 2HKO against Suicune after Rocks.

2) Hydrei doesn't need attack investment for the LO set. 4 Atk, 252 SpA, 252 Speed is ideal.

4) 40Hp, 252 SpA, 216speed hits the appropriate speed benchmarks while retaining a teeny bit of extra bulk to avoid the Scarf Hydreigon Draco KO.
thanks for the rate, I'll implement these changes the next time I get a chance to test them.

Dlanyer

Elle est crème comme Nivea, facile comme niveau 1.
is a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hmmm, excuse me, but i think you are kinda weak to Azelf :x this monster can hit hard your whole team :o

252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 346-406 (107.7 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Hydreigon: 494-586 (152 - 180.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 262-310 (82.1 - 97.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Psyshock vs. 114 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 384-456 (116.7 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 204-242 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Defog on Pidgeot... argh!! This simply does not work.

Replace Vaporeon to Tentacruel with Rapid Spin, as a Special Wall, and your team will be much better.

Nice argument.
This team really needs Wish on it to keep Doublade and Heracross healthy, since they are switching into a lot of hits. Honestly, I tried it out and found myself rarely defogging anyway, since on pidgeot is sr weak and most of the time i'd rather hurricane spam or roost than defog. All the same, you need defog somewhere for the odd spikestacking team.

This team really needs Wish on it to keep Doublade and Heracross healthy, since they are switching into a lot of hits. Honestly, I tried it out and found myself rarely defogging anyway, since on pidgeot is sr weak and most of the time i'd rather hurricane spam or roost than defog. All the same, you need defog somewhere for the odd spikestacking team.
This is almost sacrificing Pidgeot. He does not have a defense to resist neutral damage, let alone the super effective, with a 1/4 HP less. Using Defog with him is to ask to take two hits in the face. It will be a wasted move.
Anyway a pokemon like Entei been the party in this team, the team itself is poorly balanced, my suggestion was just to improve the team and, especially, performance of Mega Pidgeot, as the team revolves around him. But ok, stick with the possible support of the wish and the sure sacrifice of Pidgeot, instead of using parts that have better.

Because ... honestly ... none of you understand of this little bird monster as I was.

This is almost sacrificing Pidgeot. He does not have a defense to resist neutral damage, let alone the super effective, with a 1/4 HP less. Using Defog with him is to ask to take two hits in the face. It will be a wasted move.
Anyway a pokemon like Entei been the party in this team, the team itself is poorly balanced, my suggestion was just to improve the team and, especially, performance of Mega Pidgeot, as the team revolves around him. But ok, stick with the possible support of the wish and the sure sacrifice of Pidgeot, instead of using parts that have better.

Because ... honestly ... none of you understand of this little bird monster as I was.
First off, you are being quite rude. Secondly, you disregarded with what Darkerones reasoning behind running defog. There are a plethora of opportunities to defog hazards away. Example, since you seem to be slow to understand: Pidgeot switches in on a Choice Banded Heracross, The opponent has a blissey/florges/snorlax,etc to sponge the hit. You proceed to defog on the switch. Quite simple if i do say my self.

First off, you are being quite rude. Secondly, you disregarded with what Darkerones reasoning behind running defog. There are a plethora of opportunities to defog hazards away. Example, since you seem to be slow to understand: Pidgeot switches in on a Choice Banded Heracross, The opponent has a blissey/florges/snorlax,etc to sponge the hit. You proceed to defog on the switch. Quite simple if i do say my self.
No one was more rude than you with "Wrong" without even an argument.
And the fact that I have said that "no one understands of the bird as I was" simply mean that I have much more experience than yourselves.
And your argument would be great if the opponent did not analyze correctly and realize that the Pidgeot is the only pkm on his team that can clear the field. The situation is extremely easy to predicted. And even if he can use Defog without taking a hit in the face, the other player can now prepare a situation where soil the field again or attacking for second time (first when you switch Pidgeot). KO Pidgeot. Clear the field with Pidgeot is so situational as using Work up. So why you will prefer the first option when the second is more destructive? Except for Blisseys(only this wall) and scarfs.
Btw: Really, switch in Pidgeot in front Band Heracross??? For what, KO Rock Blast??? WTF, who does that???

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
And the fact that I have said that "no one understands of the bird as I was" simply mean that I have much more experience than yourselves.
And your argument would be great if the opponent did not analyze correctly and realize that the Pidgeot is the only pkm on his team that can clear the field. The situation is extremely easy to predicted. And even if he can use Defog without taking a hit in the face, the other player can now prepare a situation where soil the field again or attacking for second time (first when you switch Pidgeot). KO Pidgeot. Clear the field with Pidgeot is so situational as using Work up. So why you will prefer the first option when the second is more destructive? Except for Blisseys(only this wall) and scarfs.
Btw: Really, switch in Pidgeot in front Band Heracross??? For what, KO Rock Blast??? WTF, who does that???
Hi everyone. My rate still applies, do not change Vaporeon for Tentacruel. Your team loves the wish support, and a non-hazard centered strategy doesn't really care about using Rapid Spin over Defog. Defog on Pidgeot is situational, but I think it applies well here, and there is proof of your success. The disrespect stops now, please.

Azelf is also handled by Vaporeon, none of them carry Energy Ball.

I meant a free switch in, of course.

Hi everyone. My rate still applies, do not change Vaporeon for Tentacruel. Your team loves the wish support, and a non-hazard centered strategy doesn't really care about using Rapid Spin over Defog. Defog on Pidgeot is situational, but I think it applies well here, and there is proof of your success. The disrespect stops now, please.

Azelf is also handled by Vaporeon, none of them carry Energy Ball.
What proof?

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Four very basic changes:

I took most of these changes except the last one, outspeeding Alakazam is too important imo and tying with other Pidgeot. Thanks again and btw I got approved as tutor so thanks for that as well.

Stop bullshitposting!
bruh, you should have stopped earlier

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)