SM OU The GolisoSQUAD (Peaked 1800)

-The GolisoSQUAD-

Introduction

This team exists for one purpose and one purpose only: to style on people as hard as possible while playing Team Skull Guzma Theme (EXTREME BASS BOOST) so that the distortion kicks in the moment you click First Impression on some fool that really should've switched out. Guzma would be proud. In actuality, Golisopod is an incredibly cool low-tier 'mon that I thought would be fun to build around. After making a couple of 5-minute teams and having okay-ish success, I decided to start from scratch and take it seriously this time. I hit the 1700's for the second time ever with this team(and then tilted 200 points over the course of an hour)(edit: a few days later and I've hit 1800 for the first time ever) and playing with it has been overall the most fun experience I've had in SM OU. So without further ado...

The Squad

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet​

Choice Band Golisopod packs some incredible power and can yeet far more 'mons out of existence than it has any right to. The key to dealing damage with this bad boy is to click buttons. Which buttons? The button that makes your opponent scared the next time Golisopod gets in of course. Banded STAB moves coming off 125 base attack is no joke and with some decent reads, a good matchup or just by wearing down its counters, Golisopod can easily threaten KOs on a lot of 'mons. It also has above-average bulk, with 75/140/90 defenses, it can switch into plenty of physical hits and threaten some heavy retaliation, allowing it to serve as an above-average pivot.

Kartana clicks the wrong move?
252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 176 HP / 80 Def Golisopod: 77-91 (22.9 - 27.1%) -- 55.6% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 186-220 (71.8 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
YEET

Mega-Medicham stays in against the 'Pod?
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 268-316 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Welcome to the shadow realm fool

Ferrothorn is a great wall, let's just switch it in and...
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 183-216 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2-hit KO'd, Ferro ain't getting away with anything unless it's physdef protect leech.

Maybe the king of offense can...
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja-Ash: 648-764 (227.3 - 268%) -- guaranteed OHKO
oh no

"i run braindead HO and have zero pivots, let's try and bring in kyurem, electric beats water right?"
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 210-247 (53.7 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
One Bulu into Ash-Gren later...

What about Mr. OU himself?
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 122-146 (31.9 - 38.2%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Oh phew. But wait, that's defensive landorus, what can it do in retaliation.
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 176 HP / 80 Def Golisopod: 52-62 (15.5 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
Oh.

Offensive lando?
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 144-170 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
232 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 176 HP / 80 Def Golisopod: 166-196 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 176 HP / 80 Def Golisopod: 438-516 (130.7 - 154%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That is not a switchin, but at least it scares Goli out

Psychic types don't even stand a chance
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 240 HP / 52 Def Mew: 446-528 (111.2 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias: 510-602 (140.1 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Reuniclus: 378-446 (89.1 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Leech Life vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Slowbro: 320-380 (81.4 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
oof

This bugger can even 1v1 defensive heatran from full if it can dodge the plume burn, what even is this game?
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Golisopod: 118-141 (35.2 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 422-500 (109.3 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Alternatively, offensive Heatran can eat an aqua unless the opponent wants to flex and click rocks, but oh boy, it's a free emergency exit
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 200-236 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Golisopod: 196-232 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage

These calcs aren't just random theorymon calcs, every single one of these are a situation I've run into in OU multiple times. Outside of Tapu Fini, Toxapex, defensive Zapdos and other defensive resists that actually have the means to threaten back, very little can comfortably switch in or stay in against Golisopod, so it becomes a game of having to read which banded move is coming out this time, a game that is very fun to play when you're the one clicking buttons.

Here's some icing on the cake: Golisopod is naturally so goddamn slow, it outslows 90% of trick room abusers, and if you wanted to go -Spe and 0 IVs just to meme on them you could outslow everything but mega camel, but this fatass is outsped by Chansey and if I go any slower I'm going to start getting revenge killed by Slowbro.

Ohohoh, wait t'ill you see the
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Leech Life vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 266-314 (60 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Oooh, no no no
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 194-230 (60 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (lets in Gren for free afterwards with the EE) AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 540-636 (163.6 - 192.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
OOH, LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Camerupt-Mega: 420-496 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The only TR 'mons that can take a hit are...
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 126-150 (38.6 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 198-234 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
...but that still means free Gren

Of course, Golisopod is not without its flaws, after all, it's in RU for a reason. Its SpDef and speed are, in one word, lackluster, its stealth rock weakness necesitates defog support for its hit-and-run playstyle (especially when banded) to work and it has been cursed with Emergency Exit, an ability that forces out the 'pod every time it dips below 50%. Immediately. This means that rocks can prevent suicide switches by forcing it to go into another 'mon, an inopportune status or crit won't just deal extra damage, it'll force you out when you may not have another check, and the worst part, because Goli is so slow it's prone to getting its turn ended out of nowhere. The way I like to see Golisopod is as two separate 'mons, the first one faints when the health bar hits 50%, and damage rolls onto the second 'mon. Sometimes getting KO'd is a good thing. Sometimes a player will intentionally sac a 'mon just to let their threats loose. But what if you had an extra 'mon to sac? What if you could sac something but it doesn't actually die? What if you had a red card, that could activate as many times as you wanted as long as you got off a leech life or some grassy terrain turns, and at a moment far more opportune than "the first time you're hit"?

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes​

Medicham-Mega
@ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch​
The answer is two of OU's strongest, fastest wallbreakers + cleaners: Ash-Greninja and Mega Medicham. You do not give these 'mons free turns. Letting Ash-Gren get a free turn means spikes or eating a specs-boosted STAB move. Giving Mega Medi free turns means being forced to switch around until you either find the right resist that can check it offensively, or you lose. The Ash-Gren set is absolutely standard, with some chip it basically checks most of the OU metagame, and punishes passive 'mons/teams hard with Spikes. It'll clean up late-game with Shuriken if its counters are gone and if not, it'll wear them down with repeated hydros. Mega Medicham is also a standard set, but forgoes Fake Out to run double coverage in Thunder Punch and Bullet Punch. Since the team has no scarfer (spoilers), bullet punch is one extra priority move to keep the team safe and lets it chip the revenge killer if it needs to be sacced for a Greninja or Golisopod endgame, while thunder punch simply has a lot of neutral coverage and is the only move on the set with perfect accuracy plus decent BP. It also hits Celesteela without having to play protect mindgames, punishes Fini/Tornadus switches and OHKOs Pelipper, making it generally a very safe move to just throw out when I'm not sure what to click.

Of course, a team with nothing but fast powerhouses is generally going to be one that's less useful than one with some support...

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock​

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Scald​

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge​
The final three 'mons on this team serve one purpose: Pivot in and support the team. The two Tapus provide incredible support with just their abilities alone, Fini can prevent Toxapex from burn-fishing Medicham or Golisopod, and can mitigate Toxic Spikes for long enough for Greninja to trade hazards and start applying pressure, while Bulu covers Heatran's weaknesses while providing it and Golisopod much-needed healing, while Heatran can switch into the clown or Zard Y and do whatever.

Heatran is the team's rocker running the standard Smogon SpDef set, and while it puts out almost no pressure compared to offensive 'tran, it can safely switch in on certain threats such as Magearna, Tapu Koko or Z-Gyarados that the offensive set can't and just click plume or toxic to start chipping away at the opposing team. Fini is the team's defogger, with Haze to handle the plethora of setup sweepers that can easily end the game if spiralled out of control, often finding itself switching in on and stalling out a powerful threat that set up on Heatran only to get hit by a toxic. The EVs outspeed certain threats such as max speed bulu, while still being slow enough to haze after max speed Dragonite/Kommo-o use their setup move(could use some changing tbh). Bulu is banded simply to provide some extra oomph to start punching holes in the few things Golisopod can't break. I initially experimented with an AV Bulu, but that thing threatens exactly zero 'mons so I went for band instead. The speed EVs are simply to outspeed defensive WoW/Twave rotom, while everything else is in attack/HP.

How-to-play

The TL;DR to getting the most out of this team is controlling the hazard game and positioning your 'mons as to get off free hits with either Goli, Medi, Gren or Bulu. You always want to be at a hazard advantage, as most of the team is very good at forcing switches and the frail-as-hell Mega Medi and Ash-Gren appreciate having 3HKOs become 2HKOs and 2HKOs becoming OHKOs. Golisopod can't switch in too often with rocks up and they'll cause Emergency Exit to proc annoyingly prematurely. The entire team outside of Goli is neutral to or resists rocks, so if your opponent is hazards-weak, you don't need the 'pod to win or you've managed to get spikes up too, don't bother defogging. You aren't beating stall or even some of the fatter balance builds without at least rocks and 2x spikes. Check what fat 'mons the opponent has at team preview and ensure you keep the right 'mons to break alive and check how much chip and priority you'll need in a worst-case-scenario endgame where multiple opposing Pokémon outspeed Medicham or Ash-Greninja (This happens all the time VS HO).

Matchup and Threatlist

The matchup VS specific 'mons has mostly been outlined in the in-depth look, but to summarize against playstyles:

Hyper-Offense (especially Screens) can steamroll this team if the support 'mons are used poorly and don't wall the one or two threats each one needs to and/or it runs out of priority, as it relies on it to take down certain HO staples. Fini's haze is vital to keep certain sweepers at bay. Rain is an easier MU than regular HO thanks to the sheer amount of water resists and one of the best rain abusers (Ash-Gren) in the tier that this team carries. Psyspam requires watching the Tapus as to prevent Lele from locking priority during the endgame.

Trick Room deserves special mention since Golisopod underspeeds and destroys many a TR team.

Bulky Offense and Balance let you rely far less on preserving your priority and more preserving wallbreakers and, especially against Balance, keeping up hazards. The only recovery this team has is lefties, grassy terrain and two commonly-resisted draining moves, so if the opponent is running something like a double/triple regenerator core, or is trying to win via attrition with hazards, don't try and outlast them, just get up triple spikes and start firing off moves with Medi and Bulu.

Stall is an okay matchup except that this team has no surefire Mega Sableye counters, making hazards incredibly hard to get up. Semistall, double-defog stall or any other variant without magic bounce support usually folds the same way balance teams do

Conclusion

So that wraps up the GolisoSQUAD. As I said in the intro, I had a lot of fun making and playing with this team and I hope you do too if you take it for a spin.

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Scald

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Replays

(I'll add more as I get them and try and reverse the massive tilt I went on, ELOs listed are those of the opponent)
(Low 1900's) Despite a few misplays VS Slowbro, Golisopod gets a KO and allows Ash-Gren to get another with Emergency Exit
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-989671679
(High 1800's) Golisopod gets some decent chip, opponent forfeits before Ash-Gren can sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-986868010
(Mid 1700's) A 130 turn game against stall, Golisopod fires off a few moves but ultimately hazards+Mega Medi enables the win
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-990820052
(Low 1700's) Beats opposing Toxic Spikes by going all in with hazards, Golisopod oneshots Mega Latios to win the game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-987640811
(High 1600's) Trick Room loses almost an entire 'mon to Golisopod every time it comes in putting them in an awful endgame position
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-98544026
(High 1600's) Overall clean victory VS webs, First Impression gets vital chip on two 'mons netting a KO each time as Ash-Gren comes out
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-987917469
(Mid 1600's) A poorly played turn 1 Landorus up against Golisopod grants a massive hazard advantage that eventually wins the game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-982507108
(Mid 1600's) Fini walls so that Golisopod can scare out and chip until Ash-Gren can clean
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-982619090
(Mid 1600's) Golisopod denies the Final Gambit, scores a KO and the opponent forfeits before it can revenge kill Latios
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-986875016
(Low 1600's) Golisopod and Ash-Gren clean up late-game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-981546265
(Low 1500's) Emergency Exit into Medicham wins the game.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-981546265

Last edited:
Hi Kierany9, I'm really liking the dual water shenanigans!
I've only got a couple small amendments to post here, apart from that, this team is really good!

1. Bullet Punch -> Fake Out on Mega Medicham
Bullet Punch has almost zero offensive utility outside of hitting Pokemon like Mega Diancie for a OHKO, which isn't needed here and I missed the extra flinch utility way more.
I also ran an adamant nature instead of a jolly one, but that's more personal preference.

2. Protect -> Earth Power on Heatran (alt. Leftovers -> Steelium Z)
Being walled by opposing Heatran is enormously tough and Protect isn't necessarily needed here.
Also, you have no Z-move user on your team, I'm not the kind of person to say one is necessary for a good team, but I've tried out a nostalgic Corkscrew Crash set and it worked even better for me:

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

P.S.: Grassium Z under grassy terrain could be heat tag as well, experiment a little

3. Haze -> Taunt on Tapu Fini
Being able to prevent hazards after Defog and shutting down Ferrothorn to get in Heatran is just way more valuable than semi-tackling Hawlucha, which will run over this after chip regardless.

Last edited:
I'll give the first two changes a shot. BP over Fake Out was primarily for getting suicide chip later on in the game, and Jolly lets you land a hit vs Timid Lele, which only Greninja outspeeds otherwise and nothing likes to switch into, but that's personal preference. And while I like being able to toxic stall Heatran's usual counters and being able to come in on more moves, perhaps the extra offensive pressure is worth it, especially since Fini's uninvested scald does 30 net to opposing spdef heatran.

3. Haze -> Taunt on Tapu Fini
Being able to prevent hazards after Defog and shutting down Ferrothorn to get in Heatran is just way more valuable than semi-tackling Hawlucha, which will run over this after chip regardless.
Z-Celebrate Victini/Porygon and Sub-Salac Belly Drum Kommo-o destroy this team without Haze. Haze also handles DD Gyara and QD Volcarona better than taunt especially if Fini isn't in yet, I'd rather have a worse MU against Ferro and Heatran than getting 6-0'd by a random setup 'mon, although it's basically trading some balance matchup for HO matchup.

Last edited:
Z-Celebrate Victini/Porygon and Sub-Salac Belly Drum Kommo-o destroy this team without Haze. Haze also handles DD Gyara and QD Volcarona better than taunt especially Fini isn't in yet, I'd rather have a worse MU against Ferro and Heatran than getting 6-0'd by a random setup 'mon, although it's basically trading some balance matchup for HO matchup.
That's fair enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)