Amazing art by Gaboswampert
THE SV UU RESEARCH ACADEMY
Co-hosted by BigFatMantis Mystras Leoxses and DraconicLepus
Welcome everyone to the SV UU Research Academy! Here we will conduct research every week with regard to SV UU Pokemon, as well as host competitions for you, the newest Researchers, to help with! Here is a breakdown of how this all works (following blurb partially stolen from SS UU OP):
In this project, participants research suggested Pokemon every week and share their experience.
Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
- Be open-minded. Don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, typing and movepool and think something up!
- Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period, however, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, and perhaps even teams.
- Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
- Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets we choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM us these suggestions, but don't expect us to always accept them.
- Official Ladder Research (Main Event): The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame and get +10 RPs(Research Points)
- Friday Research Tour: On Fridays, a "Research Tour" will be conducted as a UU Room Tour in the PS UU Room. This will typically be a separate "what if" topic where something is either banned or unbanned to see how the meta adjusts to it. The winner of the Research Tour gets +5 RPs for the week.
- Documented Findings: The most important part of Research Week, this is where you can post your findings on anything related to this Research Week. Any post on this topic will get you +5 RPs. Making an "exemplary effort post" (i.e. contains detailed set, description, pros, cons, good teammates, and findings supported by several replays) will get you +5 RPs extra. Insightful Commentary on another Researcher's post (not just a one-liner, but something meaningful, at least 5 sentences, use of their actual team/set w/ a replay encouraged) will additionally grant you +5 RPs (can only get this +5 bonus once per week, so does not stack if you respond to 10 different people)
Here is the breakdown of what your points can earn you, and what perks the top positions give:
- Honorary Deans of Science and Technology (450 points - get an actual vote (if you want) in what will be researched next week)
- Faculty Department Heads (250 points - can request 1 mon/set per week to put on a voting slate for next week)
- Tenured Professors (150 points - can suggest things to be tested for research week tours)
- Adjunct Faculty (75 points - get a cooler title!)
- Research Assistant (40 points - you are on the Research Academy list!)
A few things to clarify:
- Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will usually end on Sunday.
- Please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in SV UU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in the UU chat on Pokemon Showdown, in the official UU Discord, and in the Viability Ranking Thread.
Week 1, and the Pokemon chosen, will be up in the morning GMT-8! Stay tuned!