SV OU Trap Byte: A Roaring Moon Team (OUTDATED)

Hello. I'm back with a RMT for Scarlet and Violet. I was mindlessly scrolling through YouTube and found Blunder mentioned Jaw Lock Roaring Moon. 2 things were immedient: 1) Drednaw no longer has a signature move, and 2) Roaring Moon can literally setup and sweep unprepared teams. It also made me have the goal of making only trap teams. Now lets get into my Roaring Moon team.

:sv/roaring moon:
Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying / Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 11 Atk / 21 Spe
- Acrobatics / Iron Head
- Dragon Dance
- Jaw Lock
- Roost / Dragon Claw

The star of the show and my own special set for it. Aside from the mandatory Dragon Dance and Jaw Lock, I experimented with other options such as 3 attacks + Iron Head, Tera Steel and Dragon Claw. It's a Physically Defensive Roaring Moon with a Bold Nature, 11 Attack IVs and 21 Speed IVs so it can get a +1 Defense boost with Booster Energy - a neat little +Speed Beast Boost Kartana esk tech. The only problem is that if you don't KO a pokemon with Jaw Lock, you can't switch. It's a risk-reward that I think is worth it, and should be looked into a lot more.

:sv/glimmora:
Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Mortal Spin
- Power Gem

Just your average lead Glimmora. Due to Toxic Debris, you dont need to use Toxic Spikes and can instead run Mortal Spin. Power Gem is the attack of choice due to its STAB and you can't be immune to it. Tera Ghost allows it to block Rapid Spin attempts from the likes of Great Tusk and iron Treads - allowing it to stack even more hazards. Keep in mind this is only if your team doesn't need the offensive mons to change there type. I believe its the best hazards setter in the game, and a consistent preformer on a game to game basis.

:sv/great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Assault Vest / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk is simply the best hazard removal. With its bread and butter combo of Knock Off, Rapid Spin, Earthquake and Body Press, it can be a task to keep hazards with it in play. Its Close Combat and Headlong Rush are swapped for the next strongest thing because I want my Tusk to stay alive as long as possible. Specially Defensive with an Assault Vest allows it to take special hits its physically defensive counterpart wouldn't (or at least, less so). If your team is weak to hazards such as Toxic Spikes, you can give Great Tusk Heavy-Duty Boots so it can more effectively remove hazards without consequence.

:sv/gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Recover

Air Balloon Nasty Plot Gholdengo. It sits on Corviknight all day long, can heal itself with Recover and packs Tera Dark to catch opposing Gholdengo and Dark-types off guard. Its terastallization is more defensively orientated and in a pinch than a Chi-Yu using its Adaptability STAB to nuke everything in sight. Its not the Scarf set, but it doesn't take damage from its hazard removal frenemy - Great Tusk. This thing is at the top of the met for a reason - its hazard removal, tying and movepool is simply the best for its debut metagame so far.

:sv/iron moth:
Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Morning Sun

While making this team, I looked back on my troubles: The Unaware Trio of OU. Dondozo, Skeledirge and especially Clodsire give the team so much trouble because they don't take the attack incrase from Roaring Moon - who the team is based on after all. I also needed a general immedient special attacker. Iron Moth was my answer. Unlike its "Unovan counterpart" Volcarona, it has a regular instead of quadruple Stealth Rock weakness - so it can run an offensive item such as Booster Energy. This came at the cost of losing Quiver Dance for Agility, however. But I still think Moth is better. The moveset of Fiery Dance, Energy Ball, Psychic and Morning Sun gives it nearly unresisted coverage, (only resisted by Chi-Yu and Roaring Moon) a 50% chance to be even stronger, and longevity. Tera Grass + Psychic allows it to 1v1 Clodsire with Energy Ball in the back. However, its bulk is fairly poor uninvested in at 80/60/110. And it needs to either switch, KO or terastallize against Ground type or risk being KO'd. Other than that, it can sweep unprepared teams - and is consistent at sweeping such a team.

:sm/breloom:
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb

My team was feeling pretty complete without a 6th mon, so I just slapped on Breloom. Spore is a useful tool no matter what happens and Mach Punch gives the tam much needed priority vs things like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu. It can sweep rain teams if it grabs a Swords Dance boost with a Technician boosted Mach Punch. It doesn't need to be terastallized, so I gave it Tera Rock so it can negate 3 of its weaknesses and gain STAB on Rock Tomb. I like Breloom a lot in the metagame today. And its niche is 100% noticable.

THREATS TO THE TEAM
:swsh/corviknight:
Even though Gholdengo eats it up for breakfast, thats really it. Bulk Up and Specially Defensive Corviknight are a struggle for my team to face in any given matchup. Even with Gholdengo, it just U-Turns out of it into something that threatens it. Not even iron Moth is a safe answer to it because of U-Turn or Brave Bird.

:swsh/quaquaval:
Bulk Up Quaquaval is nightmarish to face. If it gets a KO one of my pokemon with Aqua Step, its a wrap. It makes it go down to terastallizing Iron Moth and clicking Energy Ball, or outspeeding it before it clicks Aqua Step.

:swsh/clodsire:
Yet another wall my team hates. Clodsire also forces this team to terastallize Iron Moth and go from there - which may go in its favor. It can literally Toxic stall the entire team - which I hate.

:swsh/great tusk:
Opposing Great Tusk aren't fun, but they aren't bad either. If it's Assault Vest and I lead wrong, its a tough hill to climb up. Even though I can terastallize Iron Moth and OHKO it, I waste my terastallization on something more potentially valuable.

Aside from those 4 pokemon, the team is fairly slow vs the relative metagame, and is easily forced into terastallization. However, the team is successful in spite of these setbacks.

https://pokepast.es/35c348949e410966 <- team

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1755860129
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1755845688
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1755826376-iowalzzqedzrcqzt40oudrgzlce7zyxpw <- matches with the team

And that's it. Lemme know any suggestions you have for changing pokemon (I'm NOT swapping my unique Roaring Moon set). And with all that being said, goodbye.

Last edited:
Why is roaring moon phys def? I mean it's interesting! But does it really need booster energy on def? I fear you take too much from the offense/speed with bold.

Amir

Banned deucer.
Isn't bold nature on a physical sweeper holding it back? I would recommend impish nature if you want to go with a bulky physical sweeper, also your team is missing IVs.

Hey happy new year!
Just a couple suggetions,

Taunt Annihilape > Breloom could help you with Corvi and Clodsire, as well as stopping Roost and BU attempts from Quak. It also mantains the good mu vs Dondozo that Breloom has and deal with Toxapex even better than it.

While Power Gem Glimmora does hit a lot neutrally, it doesn't help vs most of what tries to deal with Glimmora and thus you will never really be clicking it. Energy Ball helps weaken tusk (does min 75 no max hp no spdef or ohkos it if you tera grass) which you mentioned can be an issue. Earth Power for Iron Treads and Gholdengo, or Sluge Wave for Hatterene are other options but I would first try Energy Ball on this.

Im back in responce to the feedback of my Roaring Moon team
Why is roaring moon phys def? I mean it's interesting! But does it really need booster energy on def? I fear you take too much from the offense/speed with bold.
Isn't bold nature on a physical sweeper holding it back? I would recommend impish nature if you want to go with a bulky physical sweeper, also your team is missing IVs.
Booster Energy defense Roaring Moon is surprising yes, but its kinda frail without it. It was a neat little pretty clutch when need be surprise factor from the set. I'll 100% try out the Impish nature variant you said Amir.
Hey happy new year!
Just a couple suggetions,

Taunt Annihilape > Breloom could help you with Corvi and Clodsire, as well as stopping Roost and BU attempts from Quak. It also mantains the good mu vs Dondozo that Breloom has and deal with Toxapex even better than it.

While Power Gem Glimmora does hit a lot neutrally, it doesn't help vs most of what tries to deal with Glimmora and thus you will never really be clicking it. Energy Ball helps weaken tusk (does min 75 no max hp no spdef or ohkos it if you tera grass) which you mentioned can be an issue. Earth Power for Iron Treads and Gholdengo, or Sluge Wave for Hatterene are other options but I would first try Energy Ball on this.
Noted. Annihlape > Breloom and Energy Ball > Power Gem on Glimmora for Great Tusk. In all honesty, I could drop Stealth Rock for Earth Power as well.

I appreciate the suggestions guys :) I hope to bring you more Trap Sweeping teams in the future.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)