SS Doubles OU Tricky Time! (current peak #195)

This is the Trick Room team I've been using in Doubles OU, which has been pretty successful thus far. I'm a relative newcomer to Gen 8, but fortunately, not much has changed in the doubles meta. I'm drawn to TR teams because they ruin so many common doubles strategies (tailwind, weather, lot of HO teams), and because they make Pokemon viable that otherwise wouldn't be. Without further ado, here's the team. I am looking for advice on how to break the top 100.

Hatterene (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Helping Hand
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

Here's TR setter alpha. Magic Bounce counters stall teams, focus sash is for the all-too-common Iron Heads and Shadow Balls that would otherwise OHKO, what with Hatterene always going last on the 1st turn. SpA stat is maxed out, but it's not a primary attackers- usually I switch it out after setting TR, or otherwise use it to Helping Hand it's partners.

Malamar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off

TR setter beta. Here's a trick I've picked up: If the foe has a Pokemon that commonly has Fake Out, I send out Malamar and Hatterene on the same turn and have them BOTH use TR. This is a gamble, since if they don't use Fake Out, I'll have wasted a turn, but usually it works, because people are predictable. In fact, after first figuring out this trick, I won 7 games in a row. If the foe lacks a Pokemon that can use Fake Out, I send out Sableye in lieu of Malamar. After TR is set up, Malamar can snowball and sweep with Superpower. This guy isn't terribly bulky, but since bug moves are rather uncommon in Doubles, he's unlikely to be OHKOd.

Sableye @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Encore
- Fake Out

Disrupts enemy momentum and allows TR setting with Fake Out. Comes out alongside Hatterene to guarantee TR setup if the foe lacks a Fake Out user. Besides that, we have 3 Prankster status moves. Will-O-Wisp neuters Melmetal and Zeroara, Taunt + Encore renders enemy status users useless. Of course, Sableye is useless against his fellow dark types, which means Incineroar and Grimsnarl are problematic.

Melmetal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Double Iron Bash
- Body Press
- Protect

Sweeper. Can single-handedly destroy Hail teams, very hard to OHKO. High Horsepower checks Zeroara and most Sun team members. Since Ground and Fighting are common offensive types, Protect scouts for Super-effective moves, and Weakness Policy takes advantage of them. Due to its bulk, Melmetal can usually tank hits and retaliate effectively even if TR isn't set-up, although it certainly needs TR to operate at full power.

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Originally, I had Banded Dracovish in this slot, but I realized having I needed a dedicated special sweeper (preferably one not limited by a Choice item). Eruption at full health with Charcoal + Helping hand has an incredible base damage, easily KOing Pokemon that don't resist. Additionally, switching in with Torkoal messes up opposing weather teams (provided they aren't sun teams). Solar Beam is used to OHKO Gastrodon and Seismitoad, and hurt Milotic, which are 3 very strong and common opponents.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Bulk Up

Conkeldurr's main reason for inclusion is having a priority move, meaning that it can be effective even if I fail to set up TR. Or course, I prefer TR, since that way I can use Bulk Up on my first turn out, and then sweep and heal with Drain Punch. Rock Slide is there mainly to hurt Ghosts and Sun teams. Conkeldurr is very strong Defensively, but weak on Special Defense, so it has to be switched in selectively- Fairy and Psychic Special attacks can easily OHKO the poor thing.

Threats:

Incineroar- Intimidate + Fake Out allows Incineroar to cripple my attackers, and he can super-effectively hit Melmetal, and Malamar with U-turn.

Indeedee- Psychic Terrain is annoying because it renders Sableye useless, and Psychic can KO Conkeldurr (who can't mach punch) in 1 or 2 hits. Fortunately, Malamar's Knock Off can OHKO, but it's still a pain overall.

Bulky Water-types- I basically have to hope Torkoal's Solar Beam can KO them before they kill it.

Attachments

This team is excellent, and there isn't much to beat it. A few suggestions, however. I've had success with using Hatterene to sweep in Trick Room, and it has access to Giga Drain, meaning it could help out Torkoal with bulky Water types. Alternatively, you could swap out Body Press with Thunder Punch on Melmetal, but that would be useless on Gastrodon and Seismitoad and lose Fighting type coverage on Melmetal. Body Press could also be exchanged for Darkest Lariat for Melmetal to smash through Indeedee with ease. Finally, if Torkoal were given Earth Power, it has a 99.6% chance to 2HKO Incineroar, while the best common Incineroar sets can do in retaliation is a guaranteed 4HKO.
Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 12.33.25 AM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)