Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition - Tapu Koko

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're sorry for the time it took to complete this voting phase, but it's finally done. The votes were tallied as follows:
A:
B: ••••••••
C
:
D:
E:
F:
G:
Congratulations JoJoUWU for winning with Team B.

Like many of you are aware, Zygarde is currently being suspect tested. Once the results of the suspect test are in, we will return with the next round.

Hi there. I just want to bump this as the zygarde suspect‘s conclusion has been announced for nearly three weeks now. A few SPL players have already showed their take on the new meta by showcasing their teams used in the first week and second week will soon be coming to an end with a lot of matches to enjoy. Furthermore OST's round 1 is already up and I believe im not the only one who tries to understand the new meta as fast as possible now. This thread would be great to get a relatively huge quantity of different approaches for teambuilding in this unexplored meta which should prove very helpful to a lot of people. Therefore I hope this thread's hiatus is going to end soon

Hi there Erzengel I was just waiting to get some art before we could restart the project, and the very talented AmirAlexander just created an outstanding piece of art, so here it is:
I also decided to make this project community voting back again, my initial goal was to make this thread more of a resource with strong teams but that premise is flawed as teams tend to get outdated and some rounds we don’t get submissions that are good enough to be showcased in such a manner, so community voting is now back! Without further ado, though, here’s our next round:

:Round 44:
Garchomp & Mega Garchomp

While Garchomp and Zygarde play completely different roles, with the former getting banned, the latter just feels extremely easy to fit on teams. Heatran check, Stealth Rock user, either a deadly wallbreaker with Continental Crush or a punisher to nearly any physical attacker with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin, Garchomp really has it all under its belt. Garchomp’s Mega counterpart is also not that far behind, with deadly coverage and monstrous power, especially after a Sand Force boost. So for this reason, both will be the focal point of this round. Enjoy and happy building!​

ithrowrocksatkids

Banned deucer.
https://pokepast.es/1c8efbe6c851dcf9 (sorry for no sprites on mobile)
I’ve been wanting to build around Mega Chomp for awhile now seems like a good time. I decided to go with Ash Gren because it provides spikes which I feel is good for Chomp because it weakens mons like tang which would be most teams checks to chomp and helps chomp break it it also appreciates chomps ability to beat pretty much all its checks. Next is ttar because chomp is a monster in sand. I decided to go with av so I can have a moe flexible defensive core because I don’t have to worry about mons like mzam. Tang seemed solid here checking ash gren and appreciated av tar as the dark resist. Torn provides Defog and pivoting into mons like tran for chomp and gren. And lastly we have firium heatran which is providing rocks and helps stall break along with breaking mons that can be annoying for chomp like tang, bulu, steela, etc.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 164 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Gastrodon (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
The team was built around Chomp+Ash-Gren offensive core. M-Maw complements it well and takes advantage of hazards. Cele and Gastro give my team solid defensive backbone capable of checking many prominent attackers like Heatran, Lele, and Ash-Gren. Lastly, Koko gives my team more Speed, U-turn pivoting and Defog support.

Mega-Mawile + RH Garchomp Offense
This team is based on Fire Blast Garchomp, T-Punch Mega-Mawile and Tapu Koko. Garchomp and Mawile have a good synergie because Fire blast can lure Ferrothorn and Mawile can lure Celesteela in return. Also, Mawile is a good switch-in on Tornadus-T that block Garchomp. Tapu koko is a second option against Tornadus-T because the Z-Fight is very popular and it's important for help to pressure of ToxaCelest core. KyuremB is important for pressure of Gliscor and Tapu Bulu because the team is block by them, Hp Fire is use for lure Ferrothorn and Scizor that are problems for the team. Ferrothorn and Landorus-T exist in the team because of AshGreninja and Mawile are very Dangerous for this offensive team. Ferrothorn is preferred to Tapu Koko or Tangrowth because Spikes help to pressure defensive team and force to opposing defog for KyuremB.

ManlyChomp + Djinn Balance

This is a pretty unique team built around the Hoopa and Garchomp-M(anly) wallbreaking duo. Tornadus and AV Magearna form a volt-turn core that allows the breakers to freely switch in and abuse common mons like Heatran or Toxapex. Alomomola and Tornadus alongside Ditto make an everlasting regenerator + rocky helmet spam + infinite PPs core . Tornadus offers solid hazard control and taunt support, while alomomola keeps the team healthy (specially mag) with wish support and also packs toxic, knock off and healing wish support (amazing mon!) to give one of my breakers a second round against bulky builds. Ditto eases the HO match-up and makes every game an unique experience :)

Hokuto no Chomp is a BEAST and its shiny form is the manliest thing in existence. I highly recommend to run adamant nature on it, the rolls are just insane and you are still over the paradigmatic speed tier of Heatran/Gliscor.
In this team it acts as a relaible Heatran switch-in and carries poison jab in order to take on unaware Clef so that Hoopa can run Darkinium-Z vs stall.
Some rolls:
+2 252+ Atk ManlyChomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 340-402 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk ManlyChomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 350-414 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk ManlyChomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk ManlyChomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (have you ever seen something more beautiful?)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-855302956 ManlyChomp being a beast (yes, the guy was forced to click ice beam, cuz the beast is so damn bulky)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-855300847 (the opponent could've played a lot better but the team is pro stuff).

My team has several cuestionable things, so I will bring a standardized version for the contest, along with my personal stuff, if you want to taste it.
Personal version: https://pokepast.es/7da63035cbe2b5b9
Standardized Version: https://pokepast.es/a9126a4776ec493c

Last edited:

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Defog
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

So I wanted to build sand with Mega Chomp since that's been picking up usage as of late. I also knew that I wanted to build a more Balanced approach since all the other teams here are pretty much BO and I hadn't built Balance in awhile, so I wanted to give it a try here. Thus, Hippowdon was the obvious second choice and along with Mega Chomp stars as the core of the team. While it wouldn't be entirely impossible to build Sand Balance using TTar, I felt that I'd be more constrained in my options moving forward so that's that. Ferrothorn + Toxapex are the next 2 members, and they synergize generally well with the team and with each other, so not much to comment on there. I struggled for a bit to find an ideal last two, and I think the ones I have rn are generally the best last 2 picks for my team and compliment the team pretty well. I picked Torn-T for the next slot since it compressed a lot of much needed roles into one slot. It gave me a defogger, a check to threatening Grass-types and Fighting-types, and it gave me another out vs stall with Taunt + Knock Off being very annoying to face. Torn-T also pairs well with Toxapex since they form a Regen core together which helps vs stall and very fat Balance teams. Lastly, I picked Jirachi for my "Flying" resist, and while of course it's not the best thing in the world for a Flying resist, it suffices well enough for what I needed. It's good speed control and can pivot Mega Chomp into a favorable position to wallbreak. The icing on the cake with Jirachi was its access to Healing Wish, which let's the team play a little more aggressively for a Balance team with Healing Wish in the back. As a bonus, Jirachi is a nice revenge killer for most Psychic-types, which can especially be problematic if Ferrothorn goes down early or it gets too worn down to the point of not being able to properly check them. I don't want this to be too much longer since it's plenty long, so if you have any concerns / questions about certain moveset choices or EVs, feel free to ask me about them, since they all have a purpose.

Figured I'd get my submission in while I still had the chance to. Thanks for reading and have a good day. :toast:

EDIT: Whoops I just realized that the Hippo spread I actually calc'd with Leftovers, it was supposed to be able to take 3 HP Ices from Zapdos after rocks so you weren't as pressured to click Slack Off vs it the first turn it came in and you could throw off a Toxic but looks like I messed up on that. Fixed since I don't see much of any other reason to invest into SpDef, but if you opt for Leftovers on Hippo instead of Rocky Helmet since it is a valid choice, I'd go for the original 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD spread that I posted. My bad lol

Last edited:
We've decided to go back to a public voting system! Thanks to all the people on the former panel for their time! Furthermore, I'd just like to apologize for our inactivity in this thread. Without further ado, here are the teams!

Team A by ithrowrocksatkids

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 88 HP / 164 Def / 32 SpA / 8 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

I’ve been wanting to build around Mega Chomp for awhile now seems like a good time. I decided to go with Ash Gren because it provides spikes which I feel is good for Chomp because it weakens mons like tang which would be most teams checks to chomp and helps chomp break it it also appreciates chomps ability to beat pretty much all its checks. Next is ttar because chomp is a monster in sand. I decided to go with av so I can have a moe flexible defensive core because I don’t have to worry about mons like mzam. Tang seemed solid here checking ash gren and appreciated av tar as the dark resist. Torn provides Defog and pivoting into mons like tran for chomp and gren. And lastly we have firium heatran which is providing rocks and helps stall break along with breaking mons that can be annoying for chomp like tang, bulu, steela, etc.

Team B by Egor

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 180 HP / 164 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Gastrodon (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
The team was built around Chomp+Ash-Gren offensive core. M-Maw complements it well and takes advantage of hazards. Cele and Gastro give my team solid defensive backbone capable of checking many prominent attackers like Heatran, Lele, and Ash-Gren. Lastly, Koko gives my team more Speed, U-turn pivoting and Defog support.

Team C by RequinBleu

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
This team is based on Fire Blast Garchomp, T-Punch Mega-Mawile and Tapu Koko. Garchomp and Mawile have a good synergie because Fire blast can lure Ferrothorn and Mawile can lure Celesteela in return. Also, Mawile is a good switch-in on Tornadus-T that block Garchomp. Tapu koko is a second option against Tornadus-T because the Z-Fight is very popular and it's important for help to pressure of ToxaCelest core. KyuremB is important for pressure of Gliscor and Tapu Bulu because the team is block by them, Hp Fire is use for lure Ferrothorn and Scizor that are problems for the team. Ferrothorn and Landorus-T exist in the team because of AshGreninja and Mawile are very Dangerous for this offensive team. Ferrothorn is preferred to Tapu Koko or Tangrowth because Spikes help to pressure defensive team and force to opposing defog for KyuremB.

Team D by Slave Of Passion

This is a pretty unique team built around the Hoopa and Garchomp-M(anly) wallbreaking duo. Tornadus and AV Magearna form a volt-turn core that allows the breakers to freely switch in and abuse common mons like Heatran or Toxapex. Alomomola and Tornadus alongside Ditto make an everlasting regenerator + rocky helmet spam + infinite PPs core . Tornadus offers solid hazard control and taunt support, while alomomola keeps the team healthy (specially mag) with wish support and also packs toxic, knock off and healing wish support (amazing mon!) to give one of my breakers a second round against bulky builds. Ditto eases the HO match-up and makes every game an unique experience :)

Hokuto no Chomp is a BEAST and its shiny form is the manliest thing in existence. I highly recommend to run adamant nature on it, the rolls are just insane and you are still over the paradigmatic speed tier of Heatran/Gliscor.
In this team it acts as a relaible Heatran switch-in and carries poison jab in order to take on unaware Clef so that Hoopa can run Darkinium-Z vs stall.
Some rolls:
+2 252+ Atk ManlyChomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 340-402 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk ManlyChomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 350-414 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk ManlyChomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk ManlyChomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (have you ever seen something more beautiful?)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-855302956 ManlyChomp being a beast (yes, the guy was forced to click ice beam, cuz the beast is so damn bulky)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-855300847 (the opponent could've played a lot better but the team is pro stuff).

My team has several questionable things, so I will bring a standardized version for the contest, along with my personal stuff, if you want to taste it.
Personal version: https://pokepast.es/7da63035cbe2b5b9
Standardized Version: https://pokepast.es/a9126a4776ec493c

Team E by 5FingerMachPunch

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Defog
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

So I wanted to build sand with Mega Chomp since that's been picking up usage as of late. I also knew that I wanted to build a more Balanced approach since all the other teams here are pretty much BO and I hadn't built Balance in awhile, so I wanted to give it a try here. Thus, Hippowdon was the obvious second choice and along with Mega Chomp stars as the core of the team. While it wouldn't be entirely impossible to build Sand Balance using TTar, I felt that I'd be more constrained in my options moving forward so that's that. Ferrothorn + Toxapex are the next 2 members, and they synergize generally well with the team and with each other, so not much to comment on there. I struggled for a bit to find an ideal last two, and I think the ones I have rn are generally the best last 2 picks for my team and compliment the team pretty well. I picked Torn-T for the next slot since it compressed a lot of much needed roles into one slot. It gave me a defogger, a check to threatening Grass-types and Fighting-types, and it gave me another out vs stall with Taunt + Knock Off being very annoying to face. Torn-T also pairs well with Toxapex since they form a Regen core together which helps vs stall and very fat Balance teams. Lastly, I picked Jirachi for my "Flying" resist, and while of course it's not the best thing in the world for a Flying resist, it suffices well enough for what I needed. It's good speed control and can pivot Mega Chomp into a favorable position to wallbreak. The icing on the cake with Jirachi was its access to Healing Wish, which let's the team play a little more aggressively for a Balance team with Healing Wish in the back. As a bonus, Jirachi is a nice revenge killer for most Psychic-types, which can especially be problematic if Ferrothorn goes down early or it gets too worn down to the point of not being able to properly check them. I don't want this to be too much longer since it's plenty long, so if you have any concerns / questions about certain moveset choices or EVs, feel free to ask me about them, since they all have a purpose.

EDIT: Whoops I just realized that the Hippo spread I actually calc'd with Leftovers, it was supposed to be able to take 3 HP Ices from Zapdos after rocks so you weren't as pressured to click Slack Off vs it the first turn it came in and you could throw off a Toxic but looks like I messed up on that. Fixed since I don't see much of any other reason to invest into SpDef, but if you opt for Leftovers on Hippo instead of Rocky Helmet since it is a valid choice, I'd go for the original 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD spread that I posted. My bad lol

congratulations to ithrowrocksatkids for winning with their team!!
a: ••••••
b: •
c: •
d: ••
e: ••

:Round 45:
Protean Greninja

Greninja getting some relevancy back again and saw plenty of usage in SPL, be it the powerful spiker that are Z-Crystal and Metronome variants or the ultimate revenge killer Choice Scarf set, Protean Greninja is surely a mainstay of current OU. With that in mind, it will be the subject of this round, happy building!!​

ithrowrocksatkids

Banned deucer.
https://pokepast.es/09527b49bb85229d

So starting off we have protean gren which has proven to be a very strong threat lately. I decided to go expert belt it’s one of my favorite sets because it sets up spikes and pressures a lot of common cores like bulu tran and pretty much all teams that rely on bulky grass as gren check. Obviously pex is walling this gren set so I decided to try to cover that along with a few other threats proceeding. So I went mzam because it loves spikes, pressures pex, and likes gren killing stuff like bulu,sciz,celesteela etc. Next I added SD gliscor and Firium Heatran together because gliscor would act as second tran switch along with loving spikes and appreciates grens and trans ability to pressure bulkier grasses and steels and of course switches into pex for free (after orb) and sets up. Heatran is rocker and between Heatran, Gliscor, and Bulu most bulkier teams like stalls can’t keep up and the 128 spdf is for tanking one hit from sg mage which is definitely an issue but with modest it still hits harder then timid tran so you’re still doing your job as a wall breaker. Next up I added bulu because it seemed like the best option giving a dark resist water resist and of course the ash gren, lele, zam check. It also appreciates the team pressuring Heatran. And lastly we have Torn t for Defog u turning stuff like Heatran into bulky steels and as a kart and bulu check. Overall the team performs well and some threats the team has like gliscor may get overwhelmed by more offensive teams but you have spikes + prot gren and mzam which those teams really can’t handle and it overall just synergies very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)