Monotype Water team-A Look Into Abyss(1600s and 84 gxe)

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction:
Hi! This is Alpha-Harpreet again, with a second rmt! I very recently made this team around calm mind tapu fini and reached 1600+ on ladder with a 84 gxe under the alt 'Alpha-JAL'. This is a balanced team and pretty fun to use team. Laddering with this team till now has been very enjoyable and I would like to know some feedback on this team to improve it further here is my team take 'a look into abyss!'

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump

I wanted to build a team around calm mind tapu fini and wanted to build a balanced team around it with some strong attackers.

Then I chose swampert next for electric immunity and stealth rock support and to absorb physical hits for the team.

After swampert I needed something to take special attacks for the team while also being a hazard cleaner,grass neutrality and liquid ooze shenanigans and so tentacruel seemed to be the perfect choice to me.

Next, I needed a check to threats such as tapu bulu,breloom,mega venusaur etc and a physical set up sweeper so I went for gyarados on the team.

To compliment gyarados offensively and to wall break I chose keldeo next in the team building process as it has good offensive stab moves.

The reason why I chose mega sharpedo is because it is very good cleaner late game,good physical attacker that can take down weakened mega venusaur and toxapex.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
Gyarados on the team is a set up sweeper as with intimidate it gets some set up opportunities.Substitute is to protect gyarados from status moves while also making it harder to revenge kill. Dragon dance is for the obvious boosting to attack and speed. Waterfall and bounce have good coverage offensively hitting a lot of Pokemon. Bounce in tandem with flyinium z allows gyarados to take out mega venusaur effectively and it can also severely weaken other troublesome Pokemon such as toxapex. Supersonic skytrike is useful to take down targets in one hit such as mantine. The speed evs outspeed jolly breloom so gyarados can make a substitute on it.252 attack evs and rest in Hp.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
Swampert with its electric immunity fulfills the role of stealth rock setter and a defensive wall. Scald is used for fishing burn and to improve the physical bulk of swampert if it gets scald burn on the opponent. Stealth rock is used to break sashes and to pressure types such as flying,bug,dragon etc. Stealth rock support is appreciated by the offensive Pokemon on the team as it brings opposing pokemon into ohko range. Earthquake is used for electric types that threaten most water teams and lastly roar is used to phaze out potential set up sweepers and to rack up stealth rock damage. 240 Hp evs hit a leftovers number while 252 defensive investment ensures swampert is very bulky on the physical side,rest of the evs in its attack stat.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
scald allows tentacruel to burn opponents and rack up some passive damage. Rapid spin is to clear off hazards that may plague the team. Mirror coat is to surprise damage special attackers and it also helps vs mega charizard y. Sludge bomb helps vs grass types such as adamant tapu bulu and breloom. Black sludge is used as an item and liquid ooze for the ability to punish leech seed/giga drain users such as mega venusaur. 56 speed evs allows tentacruel to outspeed adamant banded tapu bulu and adamant breloom and hitting them with stab sludge bomb.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Offensive tapu fini set with calm mind. Moonblast is to help out vs dragon,dark and fighting types. Surf is its stab move with decent power and lastly Hp fire deals with annoying pokemon for grass such as ferrothorn.Tapu fini with its good bulk and a very good typing in water/fairy finds itself plenty of set up opportunities. Misty terrain helps other members of the team in not getting status and it makes tapu fini immune to status moves as well as long as misty terrain stays on the field. Immune to status moves for like 5 turns helps in setting up calm minds easier.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall
Mega sharpedo works very well as a late game cleaner on the team. It can also take out weakened mega venusaur and toxapex as psychic fang is 2hko to both :
*252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 192-228 (53.4 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
*252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Protect is used to gain speed boost and to scout opponent. Crunch is its main stab move that hits very hard thanks to strong jaw. Psychic fangs enables it to take out aforementioned Pokemon and fighting types. Lastly waterfall is the other stab move with a chance to flinch the opponent.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump
Choice specs keldeo is a powerful wall breaker on the team with excellent stab moves in hydro pump and secret sword. With a choice specs keldeo hits very hard and it can 2hko zapdos(specially defensive) on the switch. It also has a good speed tier at base 108 which further allows in pressuring/threatening opposing team. Secret sword is a special move that hits on the physical side mainly helping vs special walls and normal eviolite bulky teams. Hydro pump is the main move to wall break while scald is used to clean/fish for burns and Hp electric is used so that keldeo can damage mantine and toxapex and not sit a duck vs them.
*252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 264-312 (70.5 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
*252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Toxapex: 122-144 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
:
Electric types such as galvantula,tapu koko,raichu-alola etc are pretty big threats as they can carry both electric and grass move which breaks apart the core of swampert and tentacruel. So any pokemon that can carry both electric and grass move can give this team a trouble.
Grass types are threats as well, tapu bulu in particular is a big threat. Mega venusaur and breloom are more or less checked by the team.However tapu bulu gives trouble especially if it is a scarf set.
By the way, sub,roost,freeze dry articuno is a HUGE threat to the team if I may say that. MET ONE ON LADDER ._.

-A big shoutout to the whole of The Alpha League for being cool and supporting its members always.
-Shoutout to Dragotic for making me banner for this RMT,thanks bud ^^
-Shoutout to some friends of mine Shine Drive Mr. Miner TheImcaness
-Shoutout to Aehzo who asked me to build a team around Calm mind tapu fini! Without him asking I may have not built this team.

Last edited:
Really solid lineup and a fantastic peak.

Huge congrats.

The only real edit I'd suggest is having 248 Hp on Tentacruel since it is the teams hazard remover, it does appreciate taking slightly less Stealthrock and Spike damage.

Keep up the good work and hope to see future peaks from you :)

your gonna be swept by serperios and bulus all around once gyarados is dead tho.

but grass isnt used much and grass p much deserves those incidental wins so your fine.

I can suggest icy wind somewhere on keldeo, depends on what you would wanna remove though

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Alpha-Harpreet really solid looking squad, i have a few minor suggestions though

The set is fine, im just confused as to why it randomly has 16 evs in attack, just maximize its bulk. 252 HP / 252+ Def / 4 SpD
If you are going to run Jolly Gyarados there is no reason not to allow it to run max speed. It can outspeed base 80 scarfers such as Togekiss and Chandelure with maximum speed and at +1 outspeed threats like Tapu Koko which just 6-0 your team once swampert is gone. I would also change Gyarados spread to Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, Bounce. This allows you to hit electric types and abuse gyaradoses stab moves overall making it a more threatening sweeper. 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252+ Speed :)

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Alpha-Harpreet really solid looking squad, i have a few minor suggestions though

The set is fine, im just confused as to why it randomly has 16 evs in attack, just maximize its bulk. 252 HP / 252+ Def / 4 SpD
If you are going to run Jolly Gyarados there is no reason not to allow it to run max speed. It can outspeed base 80 scarfers such as Togekiss and Chandelure with maximum speed and at +1 outspeed threats like Tapu Koko which just 6-0 your team once swampert is gone. I would also change Gyarados spread to Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, Bounce. This allows you to hit electric types and abuse gyaradoses stab moves overall making it a more threatening sweeper. 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252+ Speed :)
The swampert ev spread hits a leftovers number with 240 hp and max defense so the rest of the evs I invested in its attack. For Gyarados I am running 168 spe evs with a jolly nature just to outspeed jolly base 70s like breloom. 252 attack evs and rest in hp for overall bulk. Also Sub bounce gyara has saved me a lot of times however i will try dd+ 3 attack set. thank you ;]

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
your gonna be swept by serperios and bulus all around once gyarados is dead tho.

but grass isnt used much and grass p much deserves those incidental wins so your fine.

I can suggest icy wind somewhere on keldeo, depends on what you would wanna remove though
only 1 pokemon can deal with all grass spam completely on water and thats Sap Sipper Azumarill, which still struggles against Sludge Bomb Mega Venusaur and only fits on stall archetypes, also Icy Wind doesn't ohko serperior but instead just weakens it and raises its speed by 1 stage because of Contrary making it more of a dead sweeper especially since this team lacks priority to pick it off afterwards.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 188-222 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)