move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Low Kick
item: Choice Band
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Weavile makes for a decent wallbreaker by virtue of its high Attack stat and good Speed tier, which allows it to outpace most threats in the tier. However, its somewhat mediocre bulk coupled with a poor defensive typing means that it is easily forced out by common Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Corviknight, and Zeraora. Icicle Crash allows Weavile to heavily dent Excadrill, Conkeldurr, and Hippowdon. Ice Shard allows Weavile to pick off weakened threats and to hit faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Knock Off allows Weavile to remove important items such as Toxapex’s Black Sludge and Leftovers from Clefable, Seismitoad, and Corviknight, as well as to pick on slower Ghost-types like Aegislash and non-Scarfed Gengar. Low Kick allows Weavile to deal more damage to Ferrothorn, additionally securing KOs on Pokemon like Bisharp, Terrakion, and Kyurem. Choice Band is the preferred item to maximize Weavile's wallbreaking potential.

Weavile’s best fit is on bulky offense teams that appreciate a fast wallbreaker and revenge killer. Entry hazard support from Ferrothorn, Seismitoad, and Kommo-o helps Weavile to wallbreak more efficiently. Because of Weavile’s weakness to Stealth Rock, strong hazard control from Pokemon like Corviknight, Mandibuzz, and Excadrill is necessary. Because of Weavile's low bulk, Teleport Clefable, Corviknight, and Mandibuzz make for good teammates since they can bring it in safely. Weavile’s lack of recovery leaves it prone to being worn down throughout the match, so Wish passers such as Clefable and Jirachi are appreciated. Ghost-types like Dragapult and Aegislash can block Conkeldurr’s Mach Punch, preventing it from revenge killing Weavile. Other wallbreakers such as Conkeldurr, Dracovish, and Dragapult all appreciate Knock Off from Weavile for them to break more easily. Because Weavile can force out Mandibuzz and Hippowdon thanks to its Ice-type attacks, Pokemon vulnerable to them such as Ghost-types for the former and Zeraora for the latter appreciate Weavile potentially removing Mandibuzz and Hippowdon for them to switch in safer. Since Weavile can struggle to break through common defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Toxapex, teammates that can take advantage of them are important. Rotom-H and Conkeldurr can pressure Ferrothorn reliably, while Zeraora can threaten Toxapex.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[ImperialGamer517, 506687]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
AM check so yea implement what you want (things to add in green, things to remove in red, other comments in purple)

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Low Kick
item: Choice Band
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Should probably include a sentence about what Icicle Crash does somewhere in here. Weavile makes for a decent wallbreaker by virtue of its high Attack stat and good Speed tier, which allows it to outpace most threats in the tier. However, its somewhat mediocre bulk coupled with a poor defensive typing means that it is easily forced out by common Pokemon such as Conkeldurr, Corviknight, and Zeraora, and Rotom-H. This could be just me, but I don't believe Rotom-H should be included in this group. Weavile is faster than any non-Scarf variant and can seriously dent it with Knock Off (and removing its Heavy-Duty Boots can still be valuable long term even if Knock Off doesn't kill). Ice Shard allows Weavile to pick off weakened threats such as...? Name an example or two; leaving it this vague doesn't amount to much and to hit faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Knock Off allows Weavile to remove important items such as Toxapex’s Black Sludge and Leftovers from Clefable, Seismitoad, and Corviknight, as well as to pick on slower Ghost-types like Aegislash and non-Scarfed Gengar. Low Kick is powerful coverage that allows Weavile to lure in and OHKO Steel-, Ice- and Rock-types allows Weavile to deal more damage to Ferrothorn, additionally securing KOs on Pokemon like Bisharp, Terrakion, and Kyurem. The previous version of this sentence was largely just fluff. Also not including Ferrothorn here is pretty critical; imo it's the primary reason to have Low Kick and should be mentioned first, especially since 2/3 of the already mentioned Pokemon are outsped and 2HKOd by Icicle Crash anyway. Choice Band is the preferred item to guarantee OHKOs on Kyurem maximize Weavile's wallbreaking potential. While it is true that Choice Band is the only way to OHKO Kyurem with Low Kick, I personally think it's better to just generalize here. QC team can disagree if they see fit.

As a general comment about the second paragraph, it would be helpful to also include Pokemon that would appreciate Weavile as a teammate rather than just the other way around. For example, you mentioned in the first paragraph that Knock Off is useful for removing items from bulkier targets like Clefable and Toxapex, so you could say how that utility can assist other wallbreakers (i.e. Dragapult, Conkeldurr, etc.) in beating those Pokemon down. Alternatively, talk about how the threat of Weavile's Ice coverage can often scare out Mandibuzz or Hippowdon, supporting Pokemon that struggle to break through those targets (naming examples, of course). Whatever the case, a mention of what Weavile can offer to other Pokemon is important.

What type of teams does Weavile fit onto? Talk about that at the beginning of this paragraph.
Entry hazard support from Ferrothorn, Seismitoad, and Kommo-o are able to set up hazards in order to unnecessary repetition helps Weavile to wallbreak more efficiently. Because of Weavile’s crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, strong hazard control from Pokemon like Corviknight, Cinderace Mandibuzz, and Excadrill are appreciated by Weavile thanks to their ability to remove hazards on Weavile’s side of the field is necessary. If you're not going to include Mandibuzz, Cinderace doesn't really deserve a mention as hazard control. Court Change is generally unreliable as a team's only form of removal, so it'd be better to bring up both of the tier's best Defoggers rather than just one. Because of Weavile's low bulk, Teleport Clefable, Corviknight, and Mandibuzz make for good teammates since they can bring Weavile it in safely due to its low bulk. Weavile’s lack of recovery means it can be continuously leaves it prone to being worn down throughout the match, so clerics such as the aforementioned Wish passers such as Clefable, as well as and Jirachi, make for good teammates are appreciated. Ghost-types like Gengar, Dragapult, and Aegislash, and Mimikyu Dragapult and Aegislash are significantly more common than the other two, so leaving it at just them will keep the sentence more concise are all able to come in and can block Conkeldurr’s STAB and easily take it down, which is appreciated by Weavile Mach Punch, preventing it from revenge killing Weavile. Finally, since Toxapex and Ferrothorn wall Weavile very easily. Checks to them, such as Mew and Zeraora for the former and Rotom-H and Cinderace for the latter are appreciated by Weavile. Since Weavile can struggle to break through common defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Toxapex, teammates that can take advantage of them are important. Rotom-H and Conkeldurr can pressure Ferrothorn reliably, while Zeraora can threaten Toxapex. No serious changes here, just some rewording. This should also probably appear earlier in the paragraph.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[ImperialGamer517, 506687]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

First off, I'd like to thank ScalchopFren for his good efforts in that AM check. However, I'm afraid I'll have to QC reject this analysis.

This analysis suffers from exactly everything I was afraid of beforehand; there are very obvious misconceptions on this Pokemon, and someone else had to rewrite it in almost its entirety. You could argue that it is up to an alright standard now, but the point of writing an analyses yourself is never to have someone else write the analysis for you, and that is essentially what happened here. Going through with this does not sit right with me.

Below are a few examples of what were wrong with this analysis, and why:
"Weavile makes for a decent wallbreaker by virtue of its high Attack stat and good Speed tier, which allows it to outpace most threats in the tier."
- Cool, it has a high Attack stat and good Speed tier that allows it to outpace most threats in the tier, but why does that make it decent? How is this relevant in the confines of OU? This does not tell me anything of use.
"Low Kick is powerful coverage that allows Weavile to lure in and OHKO Steel-, Ice- and Rock-types like Bisharp, Terrakion, and Kyurem."
- This is just wrong, and how you managed to miss Ferrothorn is absolutely beyond me. The only kind of relevant target you mentioned here is Bisharp, which actually can switch into you once, but Terrakion and Kyurem will practically never attempt to switch into Weavile. There is no opportunity to lure them.
"Choice Band is the preferred item to guarantee OHKOs on Kyurem."
- This sentence is very odd. No, Choice Band is not the preferred item to guarantee OHKOes on Kyurem. It is preferred because Weavile's STAB combination is quite decent and you'll want to spam Icicle Crash and Knock Off the most, so having the extra power without being worn down really quickly through Life Orb is very useful.

The first paragraph barely told me anything relevant about Weavile.

The second paragraph also really misses the mark. It really pigeonholed on how Weavile can be supported, and not how Weavile can synergize with other Pokemon, or what teams it can fit on. Beyond that, a lot of the mentions, such as Cinderace when talking about entry hazard control, Mimikyu as a Ghost-type to check Conkeldurr, and suggesting that Mew and Zeraora are good checks to Toxapex, are all rather odd and show a lack of knowledge of OU.

I strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with OU before trying to write another analysis here. Thank you for your time, but I'm going to lock and move this later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)